Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Saw some dipshit in a red hyundai crossover driving with no lights on lincoln st in worcester last night. I was like "I bet they get on the highway like that", GF was sure they wouldn't. She has more faith in humanity...

So I flick my lights on and off a bunch behind them. Nothing.

3 turns later sure enough they get on the highway in the dark with no lights. Not even DRLs. I tried flicking the lights a bunch more, still nothing. Passed them and did it again, still nothing. I did notice a combined angry/confused open mouthed "what the gently caress is your problem buddy" moron stare on the drivers face as I passed.

People are STUPID. Hope they got pulled over and told to turn their poo poo on before someone hit them, they were also driving incredibly slowly compared to traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ExplodingSims posted:

So I almost saw someone get creamed on I4 today.

I was in my work van behind a line of cars moving really slowly, turns out this dude some ancient Tarus was going super slow, in the middle lane.
We're going around a curve that has a left hand exit on it. (OBT exit for locals) and most of the cars behind him have passed. I'm about 3 car lengths behind him, because I'm in a slow heavy van and it's whatever.
We're pretty much passed the exit when I get a lane over, and then this guy decides that nope, this was his exits, and turns 90* and had I been closer would have cut me off, and probably cause me to T-bone him had I been close.
A van with like 300lbs of refrigerant and another 200 in tools doesn't stop on a dime.

But before he turned a Volt was coming up fast in the left lane, and had to slam on his brakes and came within inches of slamming into the guy. Like the Volt pretty much had to pull off the road to avoid wrecking.
loving snowbirds and their GPS units.

sup local bud :respek:

gently caress I-4 and tourist traffic in general.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

Saw some dipshit in a red hyundai crossover driving with no lights on lincoln st in worcester last night. I was like "I bet they get on the highway like that", GF was sure they wouldn't. She has more faith in humanity...

So I flick my lights on and off a bunch behind them. Nothing.

3 turns later sure enough they get on the highway in the dark with no lights. Not even DRLs. I tried flicking the lights a bunch more, still nothing. Passed them and did it again, still nothing. I did notice a combined angry/confused open mouthed "what the gently caress is your problem buddy" moron stare on the drivers face as I passed.

People are STUPID. Hope they got pulled over and told to turn their poo poo on before someone hit them, they were also driving incredibly slowly compared to traffic.

Blame instrument clusters that light up and stay lit all the time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Blame instrument clusters that light up and stay lit all the time.
No, blame idiots. I drive "strange" cars with lit instrument clusters on a weekly basis and have never once done this. Because I'm not an idiot, and I check to make sure my lights are on.

("Strange" meaning "not mine".)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How do these people drive in dark times and areas without.. :psyduck:

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

Guess I'll... just... do five under too... ... thanks.
I had a woman do this to me the other day. She was doing 30 in a 50 on a single lane road, so when it widened out to two lanes I went for an overtake. She saw me coming and straddled both lanes all the way to the next roundabout to stop me getting past. She suddenly discovered that 50 was OK once I got around her, though, as she came roaring up behind me to sit on my arse all the way to the next exit.

Dumbest thing I've seen recently was a HGV failing to make a decision. He started off in the wrong lane at a roundabout, pulled across two lanes to get into the correct lane for the sliproad, pulled back out, then realized too late that he'd made a mistake and try to pull back in. Luckily traffic was pretty slow so he just ended up sat in the hashed markings with his indicator blinking rather than sideswiping the half a dozen cars that were next to him on the sliproad, but still, if you're driving a vehicle that size, make a decision and stick with it.

I wish I had dashcam footage of it, but it was at the start of a 300 mile drive so it's probably been overwritten.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is there something about San Diego and Socal in general that makes people not use their loving turn signals?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

How do these people drive in dark times and areas without.. :psyduck:

Some areas aren't very dark even at night. I was driving back home from downtown Miami with some friends once and I had to get my passenger to call them and remind them to put their lights on because you wouldn't notice their absence with the well-lit streets and highways otherwise.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Who is supposed to have the right of way when two cars try to merge into the same Lane from different sides? I was in the left lane, passed a car, and started to move right to the center, when I saw the car from the right lane was merging left towards me. I just corrected and waited for him to pass since I wasn't really sure who was right. He then floored it, passed a few more people, and then I caught up to him a mile later tailgating someone with a clear left lane next to him.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
In Texas it's the car merging from the left lane that gets the right of way.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm

quote:

Sec. 545.061. DRIVING ON MULTIPLE-LANE ROADWAY. On a roadway divided into three or more lanes and providing for one-way movement of traffic, an operator entering a lane of traffic from a lane to the right shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from a lane to the left.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is there something about San Diego and Socal in general that makes people not use their loving turn signals?

Californians interpret signaling as saying "I'm about to inhabit the space in front of you that is yours and yours alone and must be defended aggressively" and subsequently speed up to block you out. Driving is like poker down there in a number of ways.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mass is the same.

I need some stickers that say "this flashing light is a warning of intent, not a request".

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I swear no one in Britain knows how to drive in snow. Everyone either slows to 20 in the fast lane the second a single flake falls or blasts past you at 100 in the middle of a snowstorm. And everyone has their high beams on all the time.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SyHopeful posted:

Californians interpret signaling as saying "I'm about to inhabit the space in front of you that is yours and yours alone and must be defended aggressively" and subsequently speed up to block you out. Driving is like poker down there in a number of ways.

Do you do the "blink while merging" thing just to maintain the appearance of propriety?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've lived in California my whole life, managed to signal 99% of my lane changes, and yes, people do occasionally do the whole "I'm going to try to block you" thing, but they almost always fail. (Again, probably 99%.)

I'd guess the people complaining about it probably do the "turn signal on, wait 30 seconds without looking at the mirrors, then try to swerve into the lane" thing, and I don't worry about making sure they succeed either.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've stopped trying to parallel park, because every time I do somebody pulls an inch from my bumper and waits for me to do whatever the gently caress they think I'm doing other than parallel parking.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've seen like 3 people in the past few months actually reverse into a parallel spot. I'm expecting to get into a Seinfeld episode one of these times I try to park.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I remember someone doing that during a heavy downpour on I-64 in Norfolk a couple decades ago. The dividing ditch (since covered over and made into a commuter lane, I think) was full of water but this lady pulled off and drove into it regardless. My father's astonished and angry shout of "That's it, lady, drive into the drink!" made me laugh for about five straight minutes.
That reminds me of two lovely moments.

1: approaching West Monroe LA on I-20, traffic is heavy and someone panic dives into the median, keeps it together, and merges back into the left lane. I was impressed. A mile later and they would have eaten wire guard.

2: Heading East on I-20 out of Tyler TX, there is a big backup because of a wreck up ahead but traffic is flowing at 15 mph. Then I noticed a helicopter flying reeeeal low as they swept by. Lots of blue lights and some red lights on the shoulder, but traffic is flowing. Then traffic stops and the helicopter starts to land; it's an air ambulance. Now, this is Texas, so there is a 2 lane frontage road about 30 yards to the right, and as soon as that heli started going down to the road all sorts of cars and trucks decided to cut across the grass to the frontage road. KIA Souls evidently have good ground clearance, because they got across fine*. There were some more level areas and everyone got across there. I'm driving a road tractor with 2 heavy loaded pup trailers, I'm staying on the pavement. 2 road tractors with empty flatbeds got across fine.

The only vehicles that got stuck were SUVs going across at the deepest spots instead of moving forward to a good spot and crossing where the regular sedans could cross. It's Texas so there were pickups with winches and pull cables helping them right away.

Oh and the wreck was where someone went off the road to the right and landed in what I will poorly describe as a concrete access area to the creek that is routed 30 feet below the interstate. Dude went airborne into a head on collision with a concrete wall. I'm amazed he had life to get life-lifted out of there.

*as an aside, there are a fuckton of KIA Souls in the Southeast. Maybe I'm biased because my mom has one and I see 6 packs of them leaving Brunswick GA (a major auto port on the east coast, look it up on google maps) but they are everywhere.

edit: Oh! I remembered that I had to use one of those "emergency use only" connecters between travel lanes of the highway. On I-81 in Pennsylvania there was a wreck so bad they just closed Northbound and were diverting traffic. I had to go on one of those connectors with two trailers. That was a tight turn. Oh and then had to figure out a detour that was doubles friendly. God Bless Google Map app.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 7, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I remember during a family road trip across country we passed a two-seater sports car that was burning like the loving Deepwater rig on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere on the Kansas bit of I-70. Blazing merrily on the shoulder of the interstate with no sign of the occupants or of the highway patrol (this was in the days before cell phones).

I always wondered what the rest of the story to that scene was.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Locator posted:

And.. here it is. Sort of shows how shaky my window mount is, and thanks to the wide angle lens it looks small and far away. Keep an eye on the white pickup in the lane to my left that is taking the exit to the flyover ramp.

Amazingly, after watching that I didn't say terrible foul words about the driver of that little blue car. No idea why, since I'm constantly cursing drivers around me for far less. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KusSsa_7N5w

Haha, the song you are listening to goes "Well that's a shame, that's a shame" as the pickup gets sideswiped.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Javid posted:

I've stopped trying to parallel park, because every time I do somebody pulls an inch from my bumper and waits for me to do whatever the gently caress they think I'm doing other than parallel parking.

It's funny that you guys live in places where parallel parking is an option rather than a requirement. I live in a major city and if you're within a few miles of the central business district it's parallel only.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Michael Scott posted:

It's funny that you guys live in places where parallel parking is an option rather than a requirement. I live in a major city and if you're within a few miles of the central business district it's parallel only.

I live in a city like this too, and you'd think it would result in people knowing how to parallel park, and how to deal with other people parallel parking, but you'd be wrong!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I've taken to practicing parallel parking and backing into places because I've realised how poo poo I am at it. People look at me like I'm a loon when I mention it. Why would you not try to better yourself?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Das Volk posted:

Do you do the "blink while merging" thing just to maintain the appearance of propriety?

Nah I signal always, the only time I've ever driven in California was in the SF area back in 2002 and as a driver whose freeway experience was 99% spent on a 55mph two-lane (per direction) road in Southeast Alaska, I was terrified. My post about why Californians don't signal was the response my California friends gave me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lol parallel parking you see son here in Texas we have things called parking lots and THE CONSTITUTION and if i cant pull my King Ranch F-350 dually fully through a parking spot and take up 3 so i can then pull out the wrong way, im not spending my FREEDOM BUCKS there

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Speaking of Bay Area drivers, it's been raining a shitload here the past few days and the number of cars I've seen driving with no lights on even after sunset is astounding. I counted 12 yesterday, 9 of them silver of course. I want to bitch slap whatever dipshit engineer/designer that thought making cars with always-lit dashboards and no automatic headlights was okay.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Caught a little bit of drama on the road tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUghXq90F4I&feature=youtu.be

Car did run a red light (or entered the intersection within .1 seconds of it turning red), and the cyclist/pedestrian hybrid threw a hissy fit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm starting to hate this intersection:

Cars coming from the north, west, and east have stop signs. Cars coming from the south do not. I assume this is because they don't want cars backed up across the railroad tracks (but somehow the light going the other direction doesn't cause the same problem?) but the result is an infinite supply of cars turning left without having to stop making it impossible for anyone else to cross the intersection.

Why is this in this thread? Because half of them are retards who don't use their signals, so you think someone is going straight until you enter the intersection and they almost ram into you and honk like you're at fault for going.

I'm starting to think that the best investment in traffic infrastructure today would be building a time machine and implementing selective breeding in the 50s.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Heh, coming up to the end of the freeway, which ends in a giant traffic light. I'm taking the dedicated left turn lane, with a dedicated left turn arrow, and so are a bunch of other people seeing as it's rush hour.

I end up first in line at the red light, have to wait another cycle, which is no biggie. Well, apparently it is to other people, because this gives me front row seats to the Nobel Laureate who proceeds to execute a perfect left turn from the "go straight only" lane on my left, which is divided by a sizable raised median.

I'm not entirely sure if it was due to stupidity, laziness or malice, but either way I'd pay good money for the ability to instantly summon a traffic cop.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SneakyFrog posted:

sup local bud :respek:

gently caress I-4 and tourist traffic in general.

Another I-4 hater checking in. Specifically the Maitland/Altamonte/Longwood area. I love the changes they've made to the merge lane getting on east bound I4 at altamonte, you have all of 50 feet to merge into traffic there now. This I4 ultimate bullshit is going to be going on for the next 10 years or so too.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I just found out WISDOT is proposing putting in a couple of diverging diamond interchanges in my town. I should probably invest in a dashcam pretty soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got our first diverging diamond last year.. not witnessed any issues so far, except for the part where the city/engineers/someone hosed it up so the curves are too sharp for anyone passing through to maintain speed. They didn't have space or money to realign the existing road with the new overpass, so there's way too many curves involved. It went from a 45 mph posted speed limit to a 30 mph limit. :downs:

Best part is when it first opened, they had it posted at 40. That lasted a few weeks then some 35mph signs showed up. Few weeks later, 30mph signs were installed. I assume there was some spectacular crashes that forced them to react quickly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CannonFodder posted:

Haha, the song you are listening to goes "Well that's a shame, that's a shame" as the pickup gets sideswiped.

I was surprised because that's a cover of a song I thought would be an unlikely candidate for a cover version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT3I_dlnNHE

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/national/102355481-story

quote:

A Roselle police officer recently saw a car driving southbound on Roselle Road with a 15-foot tree embedded in the front grille of the car.

The car was still running!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably got a ticket for having a headlight out though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I, uh, think I somehow entered an alternate reality this morning.

Severe thunderstorms this morning on my way into work. I gritted my teeth and headed in because I had vendors coming into the datacenter this morning.

Everyone drove decently. They drove appropraitely for conditions. (about 55mph in a downpour)

Nobody freaked out and drove 10MPH. Nobody raged out and wanted to go 90mph in the rain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

Probably got a ticket for having a headlight out though.

I should have included the picture showing the mother loving tree.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

tuna posted:

Caught a little bit of drama on the road tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUghXq90F4I&feature=youtu.be

Car did run a red light (or entered the intersection within .1 seconds of it turning red), and the cyclist/pedestrian hybrid threw a hissy fit.

The irony being the bike dudes were totally in the wrong as well, crossing against the light and stealing right of way from the left turn traffic coming at you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

I should have included the picture showing the mother loving tree.

And the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8uFekcP0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

sleepy.eyes posted:

I've taken to practicing parallel parking and backing into places because I've realised how poo poo I am at it. People look at me like I'm a loon when I mention it. Why would you not try to better yourself?

Because they're lazy, and with cars that auto-brake, park assist, and watch your blind spots, why bother practicing anything other than texting while eating and drinking and driving with a knee while kids and/or animals go apeshit in the rear seats? :v: All seriousness though, I do the same regarding practicing, because other people choose not to and I don't want to be that lazy moron that takes 10 minutes to "attempt" to back in or park parallel.

As an aside, I had a nice pucker moment on my way home from work yesterday, was behind someone in a Lexus at a right turn, we both go right, she takes a wide swing into the middle left turn lane and I keep right since I'm going straight. I accelerate up the hill, and Lextard decides they want over in my lane, while I'm right next to them, and almost clips the driver's side door and front of my car. Various curse words, middle fingers and near-heart attacks were had...best part was the rear end in a top hat never once used a blinker during the whole thing. :downs: Think I'm going to get a dash cam here quick because people around here are getting less and less sane as time ticks by.