Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boyhood's teenage years ruined the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Principal Hellmann posted:

some internet critic person needs to review Ishtar.

Welcome to the Basement did.

You may (or may not) recognize them and their voices from Chad Vader.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

echopapa posted:

I agree that a modern interface would be an improvement, but graphics could really backfire if done incorrectly. You’d have to get something cartoony to maintain the tone of the game. You know, like Tropico. (I wonder if the Tropico guys get any complaints about their politics.)

Not only would you have to keep it cartoony, but you'd have to seriously tone down the violence as well. Characters are very rarely killed outright and spend a lot of time sobbing and begging for mercy while mortally wounded. But even aside from the politics and humor, the actual gameplay just scratches an itch that nothing else has even come close to fulfilling.

Tropico 5 is actually banned in Thailand because, according to official sources, parts of the game too closely mirror real events and may damage peace and stability in the country. Those of you familiar with Tropico 5 know that the storyline is about using time travel to prevent a rogue Illuminati agent from destroying all of humanity in nuclear fire, which raises some alarming questions about what might really be happening in Thailand.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kalos posted:

Tropico 5 is actually banned in Thailand because, according to official sources, parts of the game too closely mirror real events and may damage peace and stability in the country. Those of you familiar with Tropico 5 know that the storyline is about using time travel to prevent a rogue Illuminati agent from destroying all of humanity in nuclear fire, which raises some alarming questions about what might really be happening in Thailand.

I think it's the dictatorship part.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

WickedHate posted:

I think it's the dictatorship part.

You must be a hit at parties

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kim Justice posted:

Thank you all for the kind comments. Things have suddenly gone quite crazy with the release of this video too, as in "I'm probably gonna get over 500 new subs today" crazy...

This gif and your videos regarding wrestling games had me thinking: I know you're branched out into game films a bit, have you thought of branching out more and doing a look at something non gaming related to do with Wrestling? Maybe a look at a certain era, a certain PPV (Maybe Summerslam 92?) or just a retrospective of your memories of it as a whole from when you watched.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Did Brad just watch Electric Boogaloo or something? Because we seem to have moved away from Christspoitation to the ouvre of Cannon Films with today's post of Superman IV.

Maybe it's because Superman v. Batman: Dark Knight Court is coming out soon so Superman seemed an apropos thing to do.

I briefly considered rewatching the Nostalgia Critic's review of the movie for comparison, but sanity prevailed. the only really funny stuff I think was Linkara's Thermonucular Pop Quiz.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The guy from History Buffs got contacted by AE Networks to visit the Vikings set and meet and interview the cast

They actually hired him to do a podcast series about the show to promote season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UN_45V5pLY

I am horrifically envious and happy for him

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe it's because Superman v. Batman: Dark Knight Court is coming out soon so Superman seemed an apropos thing to do.

I briefly considered rewatching the Nostalgia Critic's review of the movie for comparison, but sanity prevailed. the only really funny stuff I think was Linkara's Thermonucular Pop Quiz.

Point. It just seems to have clustered along with Death Wish II and Enter the Ninja a few weeks ago in my brain.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Patreon spoiler: yes. It is.

I dearly hope there isn't an Aquaman sexploitation movie out there. =(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Joe is getting into spats with folk (mostly jackasses) on twitter making arguments against tuition-free community colleges and university. Lots of conservatives are dog-piling him with the usual propaganda. A lot of respect for the guy for getting political and not backing down from his position. He's definitely feeling the Bern.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People say his Corporate Commander stuff was cringy, and it definitely was, but man Joe rocks. I love the guy. He's such a pure spirit.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I don't know how much he's changed since then, but early Joe was pretty unbearable. His interview with Seth Killian was painful. He acted like a prick to him for seemingly no reason.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kay Kessler posted:

I don't know how much he's changed since then, but early Joe was pretty unbearable. His interview with Seth Killian was painful. He acted like a prick to him for seemingly no reason.

Was that the Spike Game Awards guy? Because if it was, I think there was some backstory there that didn't come through in the video if I remember right. Like, there was a bait-and-switch thing going on with the sort of interview Joe was told he'd get vs. what he actually got.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

No, Seth Killian was a guy who was a PR guy for I think Street Fighter. Joe interviewed him about some fighting game and was oddly aggressive about it, and whenever Seth answered a question Joe would have this condescending look on his face. Seth was famous for being a really nice guy, so I have no idea what that whole thing was about.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Joe now seems to have calmed down a lot more and isn't as aggressive as he used to be. Where before he would yell out "AND THEY hosed IT ALL UP" he usually delivers it with a chuckle in a "wow, can you believe they're still doing this poo poo?" kind of way. Though he does still do a pretty cringy slow down and shout about very short games.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I enjoy Joe nowadays, he has gotten a lot better in his interviews. His interviews with paradox from about two years ago stand out. He asked some good, tough, questions, and he got some honest answers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Joe's definitely improved over the years, he arguably barely even fits his title anymore really. More often than being angry he's usually just disappointed or baffled.
His skits still kinda suck though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So Joe is basically the reverse LordKat.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Leal posted:

Joe now seems to have calmed down a lot more and isn't as aggressive as he used to be. Where before he would yell out "AND THEY hosed IT ALL UP" he usually delivers it with a chuckle in a "wow, can you believe they're still doing this poo poo?" kind of way. Though he does still do a pretty cringy slow down and shout about very short games.

Yeah, the closest I've seen him to "Angry" lately was his Ghostbusters Trailer reaction.

Which to be fair, was pretty much my reaction too.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
"Enthusiastic Joe" just doesn't match the YouTube wallpaper.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Idran posted:

Was that the Spike Game Awards guy? Because if it was, I think there was some backstory there that didn't come through in the video if I remember right. Like, there was a bait-and-switch thing going on with the sort of interview Joe was told he'd get vs. what he actually got.

Nah... you're thinking of Geoff Keighley. And I'm not sure if it was really a bait-and-switch. More a case of Joe thinking he was a bigger shot than he actually was. Then getting knocked down a few pegs. Joe wanted a sit-down interview with him, but was only able to wrangle a spot on the red carpet. Which was still better than anything Channel Awesome had ever managed before.

He spent most of the pre-show huffing and complaining about his spot in the press line. When he did manage to speak with Keighley, all he did was complain about the show, and pitch his ideas for next year. Keighley spent the entire interview looking the other way and reminding Joe how much time he had left. While Joe freaked out at him. Just to make Joe (and by extension, Channel Awesome) look as small-time as he could. I'm not sure if it was really the most professional way for him to handle the situation, but it worked.

Joe posted a video calling the VGAs terrible hosts, and Keighley an rear end in a top hat. Then started demanding a sit-down interview with Geoff Keighley again. To hold him accountable for the terrible show he was invited to. Which never happened. And as far as I know, Channel Awesome never got access to any sort of legitimate press function again. If what LordKat* says is true (though that is a huge loving "if" given recent events), the VGAs incident and Spoony's "BETRAYAL" were the two biggest nails in Channel Awesome's legitimacy as a company.

Also, the only other interview Joe managed to get was Felicia Day. Who he made visibly uncomfortable.

*I will say that as bad as Joe got, he is improving. And he was never legitimately dangerous like LordKat's gotten.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Joe can be a dweeb sometimes but he's always seemed like a good guy to me even when he's being cringey. Dude loves what he does and more power to him on it.

Augus posted:

Joe's definitely improved over the years, he arguably barely even fits his title anymore really. More often than being angry he's usually just disappointed or baffled.
His skits still kinda suck though.

With his skits I always kinda got the feeling he does them for himself and his friends since they find them amusing. A lot of other reviewers it seems forced as poo poo and as though it's somehow pandering to the audience but that's just my take on it all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Plus, in Joe's "defence", Geoff Keighley is kind of an un-self-aware shithead in his worst moments.

You wanna see someone actually mercilessly making GBS threads on Geoff Keighley and everything he stands for to his face? Watch Joel McHale burn down the VGAs from inside the house GeoffK built, while Keighley is standing RIGHT loving NEXT TO HIM. Joe ain't got poo poo on that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

You wanna see someone actually mercilessly making GBS threads on Geoff Keighley and everything he stands for to his face? Watch Joel McHale burn down the VGAs from inside the house GeoffK built, while Keighley is standing RIGHT loving NEXT TO HIM. Joe ain't got poo poo on that.

I remember watching this live on IRC when some other goons and it was the time of my loving life. I swear Joel was drunk throughout most of this and it's clear he did not give a gently caress. At more than one point you can tell Geoff is just staring at him wishing he could make Joel's head explode with his mind.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UyPV2Fj4lk
Hbomberguy put out a new video where he mocks the lesser half of the Sarkeesian Effect team (in that davis has so much more to make fun of).

The walls aren't blue, and there is no cat, 3/10.

Aside from that it's good to find out most of the old Sierra crew aren't giant shitholes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Plus, in Joe's "defence", Geoff Keighley is kind of an un-self-aware shithead in his worst moments.

That is absolutely amazing. Best VGAs ever.

And I can't hate Joe for his dumb antics in the past. Much as he *might* have wrecked CA's legitimacy, he's managed to tank his own failures and come out on the other side. Plus, he got to go hang with the guys making Battlefleet Gothic this week, and man that game looks pretty.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

senae posted:

Hbomberguy put out a new video where he mocks the lesser half of the Sarkeesian Effect team (in that davis has so much more to make fun of).

Aside from that it's good to find out most of the old Sierra crew aren't giant shitholes.

A Comical Amount Of Money

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

nine-gear crow posted:

My god. This looks like a parody of a show about video games and Joel McHale is burning it down with snark.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I remember a lot of people getting really butthurt about that McHale thing because he didn't respect videogames or some stupid poo poo like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of video game culture deserves to be mocked relentlessly. McHale is doing us a favor by not taking things seriously

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Any show with interstitials like that and categories like "most anticipated game" (literally MOST HYPE) deserves to be mocked. And they didn't even pick a single winner!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The Noah who actually makes videos just released The Starcraft Retrospective For People Who Are Bad At Starcraft

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

"We've got world premiere videos every fifteen minutes, breaking news, exclusive demos, and many other phrases that basically mean video game commercials" is the greatest truth bomb ever dropped on the games industry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

senae posted:

Every time I feel a twinge of empathy for Jordan Owen for looking like some slovenly schlub who's down on his luck and world weary as hell... I remember that he's also a massive racist, misogynist manchild with no prospects in his life and his only interactions with women have been in strip clubs, other sex work ventures, or screaming into the online void at them from his bathtub whilst naked.

If you offered me $10 billion to stand in an elevator next to Jordan Owen for like just 20 minutes, I'd turn it down, because he's a physically repulsive human being. Also I bet he smells of wicked perma-BO :zombie:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andrast posted:

I remember a lot of people getting really butthurt about that McHale thing because he didn't respect videogames or some stupid poo poo like that.

People were pissed at the show and McHale by extension because it was a complete pathetic trainwreck and McHale's snarking might've been a bit too on-the-nose. I don't fault him for it though, he was put in a lovely position hosting a show that everyone knew was going terribly and he was going to get a lot of hate thrown his way no matter what. Pointing out and joking about how much it sucked was pretty much the only way he could possibly save face at least a little bit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember Tim Schafer was also visibly pissed at McHale too and this was before everyone seemed to hate Double Fine and Tim's guts so people were made that McHale made Tim mad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

If video game 'journalism' was anything but free ads, this is what it should be.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

There has been an Awakening...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also Jack and Rich play Firewatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqbvWoAFsQ8
God Rich is becoming more insufferable with each video

• Locked thread