Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Two awesome SBs in a row 🤗

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Stybar hosed that up. I wonder if he forgot the finish was downhill. Looked like he thought Canc would lead him out

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Whoever got to the last corner wins that race. Cancellara did really well to not let Stybar have even a chance to pass through the last few turns.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Two awesome SBs in a row 🤗

Its been a great run for them tbh. One of my favourite races to watch since the scenery is so nice as well.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Even if you don't like track you should all watch the final of the Madison from the world champs.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Even if you don't like track you should all watch the final of the Madison from the world champs.

It was pretty cool, such a shame it got dropped from the Olympics

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I watched the highlights, and it's much harder for a track scrub like me to figure out what's going on compared to keirin or any of the sprint events.

Without a legend or time gap chart, it's hard to know when lapping is happening or who is ahead.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kimbo305 posted:

I watched the highlights, and it's much harder for a track scrub like me to figure out what's going on compared to keirin or any of the sprint events.

Without a legend or time gap chart, it's hard to know when lapping is happening or who is ahead.

The Mens Sprint race in the omnium was great because it was so easy to know what was going on, but yeah the Madison is just chaos and thats the charm I think.

I had no idea what was going on but it was great fun.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's a lot easier to follow if you're actually at the track, as you're not slaved to the TV director's viewpoint. Also don't watch highlights because they're pointless, I think the BBC highlights showed only the initial attack before they got the lap back (and skipped the 10 laps of actually pushing to get it) and then the last 5 or so laps where nothing really happened. I don't think the TV even caught Wiggins crossing the line :v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I guess you'd always be able to see the pointy man if you are actually there

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I kinda think maybe track cycling sucks. If it were good, actual cycling nations would win at it. But it isn't so the Brits and Aussies are allowed to do their thing.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

It's because actual cycling nations didn't have the money or the interest until recently to fund track programs. Allowing for the UK and Aus to focus on and outspend others to secure a huge tally of Olympic medals.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Uhhh...

France (Pervis) Germany(Forstemann, but he's old now. Also the female german sprinter), Colombia, Canada (women's pursuit but lol we're not a cycling country), and probably quite a few other countries I can't think of have viable people. Netherlands has a that one younger sprinter who could become a big thing.

UK and Aus just get a huge tally because there's like 18000 different pursuit categories, and they happen to have a couple top tier athletes. Take Trott away and the UK win rate goes down quite a bit. Plus her and Rowsell were also quite successful on the road, so maybe they're just good at bikes. and mayne team sky jungle juice.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They got a poo poo load of money and some really nice facilities to train and race in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

They got a poo poo load of money and some really nice facilities to train and race in.

The UK are good at expensive sports involving 4 or less people per team that they can throw exorbitant amounts of money at tbf.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

serious gaylord posted:

The UK are good at expensive sports involving 4 or less people per team that they can throw exorbitant amounts of money at tbf.

Are they good at rowing? I have never watched rowing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Disproportionally good at the sitting down sports.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
tbf America cottoned on to this plan far earlier and has been boosting their medal counts with 5000 bullshit swimming medals for decades.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Gibbo posted:

Uhhh...

France (Pervis) Germany(Forstemann, but he's old now. Also the female german sprinter), Colombia, Canada (women's pursuit but lol we're not a cycling country), and probably quite a few other countries I can't think of have viable people. Netherlands has a that one younger sprinter who could become a big thing.

UK & Aus been at this since before Sydney - Athens. Their respective dominances were not by chance but linked to spending, and now, are not what they once were due to other nations closing the tech and funding gap.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Pocket posted:

UK & Aus been at this since before Sydney - Athens. Their respective dominances were not by chance but linked to spending, and now, are not what they once were due to other nations closing the tech and funding gap.

I completely missed the 'until recently' in your other post.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

UK & Aus been at this since before Sydney - Athens. Their respective dominances were not by chance but linked to spending on drugs, and now, are not what they once were due to other nations closing the tech and funding for drugs gap.

Hehe

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
wtf is the olympics on already?

*frantically flips through an autographed Taylor Phinney wall calendar*

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Welp, Nacer Bouhanni as dodgy as ever today.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
What I continue to fail to understand is this sentiment that only Sky would be juicing. If that were the truth, shouldn't we expect them to have an outsized win tally every year? If Froome is doped to the gills then it's reasonable to assume the rivals that he beats by what are reasonable margins (when he wins) are also doping. That would mean beloved racers such as Contador, Nibali, and Quintana.

It's not like we see Sky riders dominating the classics either. In fact we see them showing up essentially as often as anyone else.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Xir posted:

What I continue to fail to understand is this sentiment that only Sky would be juicing. If that were the truth, shouldn't we expect them to have an outsized win tally every year? If Froome is doped to the gills then it's reasonable to assume the rivals that he beats by what are reasonable margins (when he wins) are also doping. That would mean beloved racers such as Contador, Nibali, and Quintana.

It's not like we see Sky riders dominating the classics either. In fact we see them showing up essentially as often as anyone else.
Where have you read this sentiment? Link?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'm not gonna lie, I hate Chris Froome.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

peanut- posted:

tbf America cottoned on to this plan far earlier and has been boosting their medal counts with 5000 bullshit swimming medals for decades.

see also: The Netherlands and speed-skating at the winter olympics.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Xir posted:

The way they drove the peloton into the ground by leading the field for hours with unusually high tempo in a few GTs reminded people of a certain postage-related team circa 1999-2005. And Chris Froomes fast transformation from a relatively average rider to a dominant GT winner with some absolutely stunning performances, while being on special medication for a health issue reminded people of a certain rider of that team.

That's probably unfair, especially given that we've seen that Froome is far from unbeatable, but it's easy to see how they appeared like the juggernauts of the balls-to-the-wall-doping era occasionally.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 8, 2016

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Focusing just on Froome, though he is part of the problem is missing the full picture. Sky riders burying themselves in day in day out for the leader and still beating rival GC riders like its no big deal. Also Geraint Thomas suddenly being a top climber.

Sky aren't picked out just for being Sky, Astana got called out in the 2015 Giro by the very same people supporting Sky doing the same in prior GTs.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Doping is less beneficial for classics compared to grand tours afaik. Power to weight and recovery wins GTs, using AICAR and synthethic testosterone respectively.

I do like Froome though, and his book is funny and interesting.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Xir posted:

The prestige, name recognition, and to a lesser extent, prize money of winning TDF make it entirely worthwhile for Sky to theoretically ignore the classics so as not to draw any extra eyes too. Nobody outside of cycling cares who wins any individual classic except maybe Roubaix or Adriatico (in Italy)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

You mean Milan - San Remo?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Errr, yeah. Got my order of events mixed up

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
That still doesn't address why Tinkoff seems to keep Contador in the mix and The (Potentially) Unstoppable Sky Juggernaut were unable to break Quintana and Valverde who were able to claw back huge chunks of Froome's lead on the last mountain day. I balk at the idea that one or two riders are far and away better than the rest, so anyone else riding at or near their level is doping to be there. Contador's been pegged for doping before as well, so I still think the reverence for the guy is a little weird. It's even possible that they're ALL doping,

I don't mean to belabor the point, it's just seems like an odd standard.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Xir posted:

It's even possible that they're ALL doping,
No way!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Some riders are entertaining to watch and those people usually don't ride for Team Sky.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'd say it's very likely that their all doping. Also, Contador is fun to watch because he does things other than stare at his stem. Like ride up a mountain with a broken leg.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Paris Nice weather never disappoints...

Edit: stage is cancelled :sad trombone noises:

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 9, 2016

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Xabi posted:

Some riders are entertaining to watch and those people usually don't ride for Team Sky.

This is reasoning that I'm totally okay with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The UCI are going after Van den Driessche with everything. They're chasing a lifetime ban and a 50,000 Euro fine.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/uci-seeking-lifetime-ban-and-50000-euro-fine-for-femke-van-den-driessche/