Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sold our house for a hefty profit. Paid off 100% of our debt, doubled our emergency fund, and put the into money down on a nicer, bigger house with better schools, and a lower PITI payment.

:woop:

Thanks DC, fast appreciation, terrible schools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've gotten lucky the Reserve Bank cut the official cash rate by 0.25% today which is excellent timing for my upcoming refinancing. Overall my interest rate should be about 1.8% lower than the current rate. Keeping the same payment should knock about 10 years off the mortgage.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Reading this thread made me think about the biggest influence on my own finances. Graduated right as the world economy went busto. Managed to get a poo poo job paying around £700 (c. $1200) a month and didnt get out from under it for a few years. Now the good times are rolling again and I earn several multiples of that but I've never really changed my lifestyle. Every now and then I splash on something nice (got a new fancy laptop over christmas) but I could have a pay cut back down to similar levels and still cope just fine.

I thought it was lovely at the time but being forced to realise that I don't really need all those fancy new toys or a Starbucks 3x a day because I had to live without them really was a blessing in disguise.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Got slapped with a $1500 car repair bill this week. It's my A/C and I'm in Texas, so I'm going to need it. Luckily, I took in a roommate about 5 months ago, and the added cash flow has made this bill relatively painless because all of his rent has been going straight to savings and investments this whole time.

It's a shame he'll be moving out in a couple months, because it's worked it really well, he helps take care of my dog when I go out of town, and he adds very little wear and tear to the house.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Moneyball posted:

I think this is actually my favorite graph of mine:

It shows the results of the one aspect of my finances I'm focusing on. Aside from minimum payments on my student loan, zero APR cards, and maxing my HSA, all of my cash is going towards that auto loan. Should take care of it around tax time. If I can keep it running ten to fifteen years (2014 Hyundai with about 3,000 miles) I'll feel okay with spending as much as I did.

:hellyeah:

Big jump is when I replaced my old car with the current one.

Now on to pay down some student loans.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Some nice progress over the last 9 months.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Awesome job, Moneyball!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I checked my accounts on Mint the other day for the first time in months and I officially have a positive net worth. :toot:

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
Just killed off the smaller of my two student loans. $1300 left on the other.

Also got approved for a card with 3% fee and 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers, so I'm moving over $5.1k of cc debt that's >23%.

Hoping to renew a now-complete freelance contract that brought in an extra $400/mo, wish me luck.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

davmillar posted:

Just killed off the smaller of my two student loans. $1300 left on the other.

Also got approved for a card with 3% fee and 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers, so I'm moving over $5.1k of cc debt that's >23%.

Hoping to renew a now-complete freelance contract that brought in an extra $400/mo, wish me luck.

Too late, but the Chase Slate card offers something like 15 months 0% APR on balance transfers and no balance transfer fee if you do it in the first 60 days.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k

Moneyball posted:

Too late, but the Chase Slate card offers something like 15 months 0% APR on balance transfers and no balance transfer fee if you do it in the first 60 days.
One of the two I'm transferring is my Chase Slate. :( I half-heartedly tried to do this with that Slate card before, but I was stupid and careless.

But recently I read the zaurg thread in the goldmine and it was a good wake-up call for a bunch of my bad habits. Most of my credit cards are now emergency-only and hidden behind hard-to-move furniture. The other two are for specific things that are cash-back-heavy and get paid in full each month. I've swapped eating dinner out every night for more cooking at home (my BBQ chicken brings all the boys to the yard) and fewer, way more focused shopping trips. I've unsubscribed to a few monthly box things that no longer bring me enough joy to justify their cost and my continued debt.

The world has not ended from any of those changes and I am less than a year away from being debt-free.

(Edited for spelling.)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Positive net worth woo!

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 29, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Nice! I'm right behind you!

Edit for 03/30:

According to Mint, I am worth $13.93!! :neckbeard:

Granted, they count my paid off 2014 Hyundai as property, and thus an asset, but I suppose in a pinch, I could sell it and be about even. I know cars are not assets.

It's just exciting to see a positive net worth!

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 30, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Congrats on the positive net worth. It's a major milestone that I like seeing around here.

I'm finally looking at my first refinancing on my house. Interest rates have dropped a couple of percent since I purchased so I'll be changing half of the mortgage to a 15 year repayment term which should only lead to a minor increase in my current payments. Still waiting on feedback as to what my mortgage broker will come back with, but it is good to know that I'll pay less interest and the proportion of interest in my payments will decrease rapidly from now on.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Wife got a surprise 10% raise. She didn't have to ask for it and it wasn't even part of a formal review.

Wife be killin' it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Devian666 posted:

Congrats on the positive net worth. It's a major milestone that I like seeing around here.

I'm finally looking at my first refinancing on my house. Interest rates have dropped a couple of percent since I purchased so I'll be changing half of the mortgage to a 15 year repayment term which should only lead to a minor increase in my current payments. Still waiting on feedback as to what my mortgage broker will come back with, but it is good to know that I'll pay less interest and the proportion of interest in my payments will decrease rapidly from now on.

I did this a few years ago. We went from 5.75% (30yr) to 3.375% (15yr) and my payments went up about ~$80 or something.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally pulled the trigger and started up a Roth IRA. I've had $10k sitting in a savings account for "emergencies" and decided to start making some of that earn more than .5% interest. :dance:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Opened a ROTH IRA and put $5,500 in for last year. Puts my current retirement at $52,000 in Vanguard stuff and ~$50,000 in my pension. Feels pretty good.

Could probably put my 2016 $5,500 in now but I am going to wait since I may be pushing up against the limits and have other stuff I would like to do with the money.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Arbitrary goal time: my off-budget YNAB accounts are now net positive!

Barely.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Keep up the good work, goons!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

BossRighteous posted:

Wife got a surprise 10% raise. She didn't have to ask for it and it wasn't even part of a formal review.

Wife be killin' it.
Mad props to your wife!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

overdesigned posted:

Arbitrary goal time: my off-budget YNAB accounts are now net positive!

Barely.

Congrats! I still have quite a ways to go before I can say that :v:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Feels good to have another debt down, and now I have an extra bit going to other loans to try and snowball those down. Hope to have all the non mortgage and credit cards gone in 3 years maximum, 2 years possibly with next years taxes being thrown at the debt.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Quit my job and came back after the new job wasn't working out for me (new company was a mess and I hated the work). They gave me a 7.5% raise when I came back and moved me to a position that I had wanted for quite some time.

Also have been managing to save quite a bit of money over the past year:

Only reason I was down last month was because I bought a $1200 plane ticket to France. Should get a decent bump in money this month due vacation payout at my most recently quit job, and working a bunch of overtime at the first employer I just returned to getting up to speed (and HR being a bunch of idiots and not being able to start me as salary in the middle of a pay period, so I had to work hourly, so of course I'm going to work as much as I can).

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 14, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Okay I'm cheating a little because I'm counting about $1000 of IRA appreciation, but I'm finally down to under $10,000 in the red. I started the year ($24,400) so it's been some nice progress.

Credit card debt has been creeping up, and some CPA exam registration fees are going to push that up higher, but my interest accruing debt has been slashed to $19,500 from nearly $35,000.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have an off budget e-fund so technically I've been rocking rule 4 for a while, but after moving to a new place that is approximately 50% cheaper, I am now budgeting a full month ahead inside of my on budget accounts.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I'm now splitting rent with another person, which is saving me about $600/month.

Even better, after tremendously cocking-up my credit in my early 20s, my score is almost at 700. I have to dispute some credit report items, but I also got my first unsecured card ($2000 CL) six months ago and have been using it responsibly.

I took my first salaried job at the beginning of the year, and am socking away about 35% of my take-home pay to dump into student loans and an emergency fund.

For the first time in my life, I have some semblance of financial security. YNAB has been instrumental.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My 30th birthday was yesterday, and I decided to finally open a Roth IRA.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
As of this past Friday, I am no longer Navient's bitch. I am, however, still the bitch of Citi, Chase, Discover, and CapitalOne. But... soon.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I FINALLY paid off my last loving dollar of credit card debt.

My credit score is just around 700 (after a low of 520, c2012) and I have two unsecured cards now. The last derogatory marks will fall off my report in mid-2018. YNAB seriously made it all possible.

Now, I've got student loans to tackle -- they're in forebearance for another 10 months. I own my car outright, and don't have any other outstanding debt. For the first time, I'm actually planning my financial future instead of scrambling to keep up.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Bitchkrieg posted:

I FINALLY paid off my last loving dollar of credit card debt.

My credit score is just around 700 (after a low of 520, c2012) and I have two unsecured cards now. The last derogatory marks will fall off my report in mid-2018. YNAB seriously made it all possible.

Now, I've got student loans to tackle -- they're in forebearance for another 10 months. I own my car outright, and don't have any other outstanding debt. For the first time, I'm actually planning my financial future instead of scrambling to keep up.

That's loving awesome man! Congrats. It's so much easier to sleep at night without having to worry about how you're going to manage to pay bills!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Way to go man! Good luck on finishing out the student loans.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I bought a car off a retired guy who barely drove it about a month ago for half of what I'd had saved for a car. Going to dump the rest into paying down ~25% of my student loans.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I just made the very last payment on my car loan, 3 months before it would have hit the 5-year term, thanks to debt snowballing (that I implemented somewhat late in the game). As of this moment, I now have $0 in ongoing debt! :c00l: :feelsgood:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

PurpleButterfly posted:

I just made the very last payment on my car loan, 3 months before it would have hit the 5-year term, thanks to debt snowballing (that I implemented somewhat late in the game). As of this moment, I now have $0 in ongoing debt! :c00l: :feelsgood:

Awesome :toot:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

Wife be killin' it.

I got a 16% raise this month too.

Since last year our income has gone from $52k to $135k. :monocle:

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Thanks! Going to up my retirement savings game next month :getin:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sold my house yesterday.

Paid off my student loans today.

Paying off my car probably Friday.

Debt free and moving on to new big things.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Sold my house yesterday.

Paid off my student loans today.

Paying off my car probably Friday.

Debt free and moving on to new big things.

These are great achievements. I can't wait to eventually be free of (house) debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

My wife and I reached a combined net worth of $100K :toot:

Now that she's out of school this should really take off, too.