Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
On the flip side, Fetty would probably be enegertic and fun as heck live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah but then you gotta hear the same song 11 times.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
how's Thugga live? Was thinking of going

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

On the flip side, Fetty would probably be enegertic and fun as heck live

My sisters friend cried when she found out Fetty was playing near her lol. Fetty Jackson must be a heck of a showman

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spike Lee's been calling Chance a fraud and was joking about King Louie getting shot. Kinda lovely on Spike's part, but the responses have been pretty funny.

http://www.fakeshoredrive.com/2016/03/towkio-f-vic-mensa-g-w-m.html/

Bonus dope rear end King Louie hoodie.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Cam fatting back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD3L8dvtBcY

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

IBS

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Losing Weight part 3 on the way!!!

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
going against the thread and stating that I have officialy become tired of Future, besides his great beats he had hit the "doing the samey samey" thing too much now

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

I AM BRAWW posted:

going against the thread and stating that I have officialy become tired of Future, besides his great beats he had hit the "doing the samey samey" thing too much now

I just finally started to like Future so I guess this is some cosmic balance poo poo

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I was going to write that "everyone does the same poo poo, he just did the same poo poo a lot more times and faster" but I actually disagree with that. There's a very distinct difference between pre-Monster Future and Monster, then Best Mode and 56 Nights both sound pretty different from Monster, and DS2 also has a somewhat different vibe. If you wanted to argue that his last two releases were a bit weaker, I'd give you that.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
56 Nights and Monster get played a lot, but I feel like his latest releases are really juste way too samey and leave a sour taste after listening to them. Purple Reign was listened to once and I couldn't bother to listen to it again. Evol has Low Life which is the only track Îve kept from that album. DS2 was alright at first, even good, but now it's a big meh.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yes, let the hate flow through you.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I was going to write that "everyone does the same poo poo, he just did the same poo poo a lot more times and faster" but I actually disagree with that. There's a very distinct difference between pre-Monster Future and Monster, then Best Mode and 56 Nights both sound pretty different from Monster, and DS2 also has a somewhat different vibe. If you wanted to argue that his last two releases were a bit weaker, I'd give you that.

I briefly mentioned it but part of it is there's too much coming out, and a lot of it is also that you have almost all the variety coming from the production. I think I actually liked Evol second-best out of everything he's done the past couple years (56 Nights is still top notch) but he's not really going with the production so much anymore. Like Thug he's still got a couple (or occasionally more) really strong tracks on each of his releases, but it's hardly essential, or even needed/wanted.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Radical, Monster, Throw Away, Coedine Crazy, Mad Luv, My Savages and those are just the bangers. Monster is a god drat classic too. 56 Nights and Monster are clearly better but I still love Beast Mode. I think he works well over the Zaytoven style on that album.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if you dont listen to perkys calling at least once a day i dont trust you as a person in general

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

alansmithee posted:

I briefly mentioned it but part of it is there's too much coming out, and a lot of it is also that you have almost all the variety coming from the production. I think I actually liked Evol second-best out of everything he's done the past couple years (56 Nights is still top notch) but he's not really going with the production so much anymore. Like Thug he's still got a couple (or occasionally more) really strong tracks on each of his releases, but it's hardly essential, or even needed/wanted.

I think Thug's issue is more of a quality control issue than a variety issue. Young Thug is super versatile and drops great stuff all the time, but for whatever reason I find the track selection/sequencing on his official projects to be really inconsistent and lackluster. Future's problem is that he's starting to get a bit samey and needs to get out of his comfort zone a little more. Apparently he has a bunch of r&b stuff ready to go which sounds like a nice change of pace from his post-Monster output

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Thug is going for more and more adventurous beats and sounds like he is having a lot of fun where as Future is still very much in his moody-trap lane.

I love them both but I hope Future moves to something new soon because it's going through wear thin eventually. I would love him to swing the other way and be super happy ala Turn on the Lights.

Also I'm still listening to 56 Nights at least a few times a week. That record has a lot of staying power.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The last few days I've been checking out Playboi Carti, Lil' Yachty, and Lil' Uzi Vert. Def worth listening to

Antequek
May 30, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

Apparently he has a bunch of r&b stuff ready to go which sounds like a nice change of pace from his post-Monster output

I hope this is true I'm ready for this kind of Future again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Young Thug riding around on a horse announcing the HiTunes tour is an iconic moment in Hip-Hop

Check out Lyor.Cohen on snapchat, it's amazing

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

HorseRenoir posted:

I think Thug's issue is more of a quality control issue than a variety issue. Young Thug is super versatile and drops great stuff all the time, but for whatever reason I find the track selection/sequencing on his official projects to be really inconsistent and lackluster.

I actually think Barter 6 is almost flawless in this respect. The album has a great collection of songs that should like they should be on an album together. There are a few tracks I think could have made the cut, but for the most part I don't think it's an issue here. The tapes are a different story of course but they're also mix-tapes.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thug and future have both proven that they can put together a really solid release (barter 6, monster, 56 nights) but i wish they would do it more consistently. releasing lots of mixtapes is great i guess im wishing theyd go on like a lil wayne esque run where they are releasing a bunch of fire albums AND mixtapes year after year for a while

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

barter 6 was a fluke

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it is seeming that way

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
You two are crazy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thug's management have proven at this point that they're not capable of putting out another release as cohesive as B6.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Rich Gang is still the high watermark for Thug for me, Never Made Love off SS2 was the closest he got to that IMO even if there are tons of great songs scattered across his tapes

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Crumbletron posted:

Rich Gang is still the high watermark for Thug for me, Never Made Love off SS2 was the closest he got to that IMO even if there are tons of great songs scattered across his tapes

Yeah I think that's his best album for sure. Tbh I didn't really get into Barter 6 at all, outside of a couple songs. Pacifier is still the best thing he's done, though.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The first half of every Thugger project is the best part imo

That's usually what I hear during commute so

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I went back to Pluto 3D and Honest over the weekend and honestly they're really good I don't know why I had dismissed them when they came out originally.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Big booty freak and she farted

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I think a big part of it is Metro Boomin's repetitive beats. Where ya at, Hater poo poo, Live from the gutter, Freak hoe, that specific beat he does isn't very interesting anymore. The background music lacks personality so he overcompensates with the high hats.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Metro has some good beats but yeah, I think Southside's are way better. Even on Purple Reign, my two favorite songs (No Charge and Perkys) are both Southside beats.

E: Stick Talk is Southside as well! poo poo.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
New yung lean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN0IuqgC3N8

Pretty bad song pretty good video

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thug's management have proven at this point that they're not capable of putting out another release as cohesive as B6.

I think this proves your point but take the best cuts from SS1/SS2/ I'm Up and you have a drat fine record that wouldn't sound particularly disjointed.

I'm still playing gently caress Cancer a lot. I like hooks that sound like verses

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thug will never top Givenchy. Listening to that again today and it's insane what he's doing with his vocals

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i agree givenchy is by far my favorite thugger verse

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

I actually think Barter 6 is almost flawless in this respect. The album has a great collection of songs that should like they should be on an album together. There are a few tracks I think could have made the cut, but for the most part I don't think it's an issue here. The tapes are a different story of course but they're also mix-tapes.

Pretty much how I feel, Barter 6 is a modern classic imo. I realize it hasn't been out that long but I think it's gotten enough repeated listens from me to put it in that realm.

As for it being a fluke who knows, the best stuff he puts on his mixtapes is easily on par with it and there's no reason to think his next album will be anything like his mixtapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyCTZ8c-trc