Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also get True Bound Armor if you want to look cool/dumb while being well-protected.

It's in my post history in this thread. I'll throw it up again if the link doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Agents are GO! posted:

Grab Apocalypse Spells as well as SPERG and you're good to go.

docbeard posted:

SPERG has some nice conjuration perks for both summons and bound weapons so you'd probably be in good shape. Pick up the Mage Armor perk in Alteration and never think about armor again, too.

You may want something like (I think it's called) Bound Armory for some more variety to the bound weapons that are available. I've never used it myself, but I believe it has a compatibility patch for SPERG. Maybe look at some of the bigger spell mods (Apocalypse and Forgotten Magic in particular are the ones I like) as well.
Good to know it's actually doable with only SPERG; I'll check Apocalypse and Bound Armory, thanks.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Also get True Bound Armor if you want to look cool/dumb while being well-protected.

It's in my post history in this thread. I'll throw it up again if the link doesn't work.
Your link doesn't work anymore, the mod is not available in nexus anymore, and I found it linked in reddit but as soon as it finished downloading Microsoft Security picked it up as suspicious, so I think I'm gonna pass on this one :(

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Currently trying a conjuration/destruction mage with SPERG, Forgotten Magic, Apocalypse. Arcane Weapon from Forgotten Magic might be kind of overpowered, but I'm having fun with that, Ancient Lich, and no followers.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Urthor posted:

They just put a release date on the Nehrim sequel, Enderal, July 3rd.

A lot longer than I thought it would be, they're being super cautious. Regardless, sequel to the best mod of Oblivion incoming.

Will this be the kind of thing you can pick up without the background or is it going to kinda require that you played the Oblivion stuff? I tend to avoid mods that are continuations/nods to the older games because they seem like an endless parade of references and nostalgia I don't get.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Nehrim is so loving bonkers I doubt playing it would help you understand whatever happens in Enderal.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sintax posted:

The patcher comes with a .bat file that gives java more memory to work with that you may need to edit to point to your javaw.exe. The patcher seems to suppress errors by default so if it runs out of memory there are actually hidden error windows. Make sure to use the batch file if you have just been running the .jar.

Maera Sior posted:

I was running moreHeapspace 32bit. What should I try next?

Can anyone assist? I'm trying to install Perkus Maximus and I've had a number of problems.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Well I thought I had a pretty stable install here but 12 hours in I went to Windhelm and loving :rip:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Is Undeath working yet? Should I still avoid it if I want a stable game?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Uh okay so I can enter Windhelm safely from the front door, but it's spawning a shitload of OBIS bandits at the Palace of Kings and if I go near them, or save outside in Windhelm, it crashes in a hurry. :psyduck:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Edmond Dantes posted:

Good to know it's actually doable with only SPERG; I'll check Apocalypse and Bound Armory, thanks.

Your link doesn't work anymore, the mod is not available in nexus anymore, and I found it linked in reddit but as soon as it finished downloading Microsoft Security picked it up as suspicious, so I think I'm gonna pass on this one :(

It's in my computer somewhere, I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I will give my entire wallet to the person who invents a These-Mods-Right-Here-Cause-Your-Crashing program..

I've had this game since launch and my addiction to downloading mods in bulk has made it impossible to pinpoint what causes issues. It's almost always near towns and cities but sometimes in the wild too. I swear to god, half the time 'playing' this game is doubleclicking SKSE.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Urthor posted:

They just put a release date on the Nehrim sequel, Enderal, July 3rd.

A lot longer than I thought it would be, they're being super cautious. Regardless, sequel to the best mod of Oblivion incoming.

:getin:

Also important to note, July 3rd is the release date for the German version of the game, the English version won't be until sometime after that.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Imapanda posted:

I will give my entire wallet to the person who invents a These-Mods-Right-Here-Cause-Your-Crashing program..

I've had this game since launch and my addiction to downloading mods in bulk has made it impossible to pinpoint what causes issues. It's almost always near towns and cities but sometimes in the wild too. I swear to god, half the time 'playing' this game is doubleclicking SKSE.

Also, why is it when script bloat crashes my game somehow that causes it to take minutes to reload? Sometimes it doesn't? Sometimes I swear script fragments like enemy AI sticks around in a reload.

Oh Skyrim.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Uh okay so I can enter Windhelm safely from the front door, but it's spawning a shitload of OBIS bandits at the Palace of Kings and if I go near them, or save outside in Windhelm, it crashes in a hurry. :psyduck:

That's just the sort of scum Stormcloaks recruit :agesilaus:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does anyone know if the phantom beasts that spawn with that one Illusion perk in SPERG actually level illusion when they deal/take damage?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

One reliable source of wild instability that I've found is Dual Sheath Redux. Which really sucks, because obviously it's a good mod in terms of its function, basically correcting a stupid problem that should never have been in the game to begin with. But the difference between having it installed and not is also the difference between constantly crashing and extremely rarely crashing. I found this to be true before I upgraded my PC, and I recently found that it was still true after I upgraded my PC, when I thought surely this new computer can handle one stupid mod. Nope. Same poo poo as ever. The other thing that sucks is that uninstalling it is a chore.

In other news, the other day on the nexus I was amused to see what seemed like the non-comedy version of my unfinished lovely fat son mod. It was a mod where you are reunited with your lost son and then go adventuring together. I haven't been able to find it again, though. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Possibly it got deleted because the guy used a lot of other modders' resources and maybe his permissions weren't squared away. Or maybe there was some sinister creep poo poo buried in the mod someplace, but it seemed like in this rare instance it was actually not an overtly creepy mod, just the sort of Lone Wolf and Cub concept that gave me the idea for the lovely fat son mod. If it's gone forever, that's kind of a shame, because I could have taken that mod apart to see how it worked, and it might have helped me finish mine.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Does anyone know if the phantom beasts that spawn with that one Illusion perk in SPERG actually level illusion when they deal/take damage?

Can't answer definitively, but I used it a lot and don't remember it happening.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Huh. My fonts look like arse in-game; even with not a single mod installed and running it from the launcher. Resolution's fine, any idea what may be causing it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh. My fonts look like arse in-game; even with not a single mod installed and running it from the launcher. Resolution's fine, any idea what may be causing it?

Screenshot?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Open them to the full resolution, the blockiness gets smoothed out if they're resized:

This is from a previous install (same hardware), so I know I'm not hallucinating:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Imapanda posted:

Yup, tell me about it. My latest install was crashing too much for me to play it, so I pruned some stuff gradually, until I discovered that when I removed ASIS - a mod on almost every list I've ever seen of recommended Skyrim mods - things went swimmingly. I've played 12 hours without a crash since then.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nerd Of Prey posted:

In other news, the other day on the nexus I was amused to see what seemed like the non-comedy version of my unfinished lovely fat son mod.

is it this?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74055/

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Open them to the full resolution, the blockiness gets smoothed out if they're resized:

This is from a previous install (same hardware), so I know I'm not hallucinating:

Oh, you might just need to turn on Antistropic Filtering and possibly Antialiasing. I had that issue one time and that was it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Agents are GO! posted:

Oh, you might just need to turn on Antistropic Filtering and possibly Antialiasing. I had that issue one time and that was it.

/edit: Nevermind, found it. I had a SweetFX config (and maybe an ENB hookup? Who the gently caress knows) from my previous install. Deleted the files from the main folder, deleted the sweetfx folder itself and rechecked filed just in case and now it's fine.

Thanks!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 12, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Weird. Is Skyrim set to your monitors native resolution?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Maera Sior posted:

Can anyone assist? I'm trying to install Perkus Maximus and I've had a number of problems.

Sounds like you are doing it right but there's some other problem (still check the task manager and make sure it's not using a crazy amount of ram like >2gb). See if there's a log file you can check for errors and go off that.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Mister Adequate posted:

Yup, tell me about it. My latest install was crashing too much for me to play it, so I pruned some stuff gradually, until I discovered that when I removed ASIS - a mod on almost every list I've ever seen of recommended Skyrim mods - things went swimmingly. I've played 12 hours without a crash since then.

This is almost entirely anecdotal, but when I had ASIS on I used to have random crashes during traveling ALL THE TIME. I mean it was endemic and totally random while out in the woods. I would definitely recommend OBIS or Immersive Creatures over it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Doctor Borris posted:

This is almost entirely anecdotal, but when I had ASIS on I used to have random crashes during traveling ALL THE TIME. I mean it was endemic and totally random while out in the woods. I would definitely recommend OBIS or Immersive Creatures over it.

Yeah I have been using both of those and life is good!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, that's the one. I wonder if it was temporarily hidden when I went looking or if I just overlooked it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Doctor Borris posted:

Oddly, I had almost exactly the opposite issue, and OBIS is garbage beyond technical issues anyhow.

Also I'm pretty sure there's some issue between ASIS and OBIS that causes crashes, but I haven't been too worried about finding the issue because of the aforementioned garbageosity.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Thanks for SPERG, thread! Picked this up a few weeks ago and made a thief illusionist, and just found this thread last night. Installed SPERG at level 18 and I already like it a lot better.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Agents are GO! posted:

Oddly, I had almost exactly the opposite issue, and OBIS is garbage beyond technical issues anyhow.

Also I'm pretty sure there's some issue between ASIS and OBIS that causes crashes, but I haven't been too worried about finding the issue because of the aforementioned garbageosity.

Whats the problem you have with OBIS? I find its vast variety of added bandits of the grungy variety to be quite refreshing and fun, although it does make bandit camps a bit more difficult since they are no longer just terrible.

I've been playing with OBIS across multiple games and really can't measure any specific garbisosity levels, or even local increases in background garbigosity.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Scyantific posted:

Shut Up Mirmulnir: An “Unofficial Patch” to the USKP: The latest versions of the USKP added lovely voice acting to Mirmulnir (the first dragon you encounter). This patch removes said voice work. BECAUSE OF GATEGATE, REHOSTING OF THIS ON STEAM/NEXUS IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Waiiiit wait wait wait. I thought that after Gategate mods for other mods were allowed and only modified versions of entire mods were forbidden. Did Gategate result in a change to the rules?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Doctor Borris posted:

Whats the problem you have with OBIS? I find its vast variety of added bandits of the grungy variety to be quite refreshing and fun, although it does make bandit camps a bit more difficult since they are no longer just terrible.

I've been playing with OBIS across multiple games and really can't measure any specific garbisosity levels, or even local increases in background garbigosity.

OBIS is a really great idea, horribly executed.

The last version I bothered with had wildly inconsistent power levels, put that drat bandit book all over the place, and the author had forgotten to put a bunch of files in the mod so there was a bunch of invisible stuff that OBIS bandits were wearing, and he hadn't put up a fix by the time I said gently caress this.

There's also the OBIS/ASIS random crashing issue, which involves one specific type of OBIS bandit IIRC.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BiggerJ posted:

Waiiiit wait wait wait. I thought that after Gategate mods for other mods were allowed and only modified versions of entire mods were forbidden. Did Gategate result in a change to the rules?

Modders make up their own asinine rules to mods. There aren't any, which is why the SHUT UP Mirmulnir is hosted here.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

Back when i made that I didn't host it on the nexus (and asked that no one put it on the nexus as a joke to annoy Arthmoor) because the whole gategate debacle had just settled down and I didn't want to get involved in any sort of e-drama bullshit.

That's really all there is to it. Apparently I was even worried over nothing, because this went up shortly afterwards (which does the same thing as my mod, only via a different method) and Arthmoor didn't blow a fuse over it.
The Unofficial Patch team actually encourages modders to incorporate the patches in their mods.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 13, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Oh god, I wanted to play Skyrim again but....40+ mods later I only just begin to feel like I'm getting close to being done. It's like a drat drug.

I thought I'd also try out some ENB's to go with Purity, so I installed Clarity, which had me put files all over my Skyrim folder. Trying it out, it seems to just steal 10-30 FPS and makes the game look slightly prettier but with a sepia filter (that seems to achieve the opposite of making things look Clear) and more shiny light. It doesn't feel like it's worth a 30 FPS loss.

Is there a way to easily try out different ENB's? Switching from Clarity to another ENB seems to be a pain in the rear end what with all the files it had me add to the Skyrim folder and Data folder. I'll probably just re-install Skyrim instead and go with Purity without any ENB.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

OBIS is a really great idea, horribly executed.

The last version I bothered with had wildly inconsistent power levels, put that drat bandit book all over the place, and the author had forgotten to put a bunch of files in the mod so there was a bunch of invisible stuff that OBIS bandits were wearing, and he hadn't put up a fix by the time I said gently caress this.

There's also the OBIS/ASIS random crashing issue, which involves one specific type of OBIS bandit IIRC.

To be fair, the invisible items thing did get fixed. I think the balance is a little out of whack still, but I kind of like that about it. Bandits aren't just a joke, some of them will kick your rear end. The one recommendation I have for it is not to go crazy with the adding extra bandits feature. I feel like it works best with the same amount of bandits as ever, because they make up for it by being stronger.

As for the book, I love that thing because it sells for a decent amount of money, for a book. Not that interesting to actually read, but I kind of look at it like another token you can turn in for a bounty, like some of the named bosses carry. But instead of Skyrim's most wanted, it's just a mid-ranking thug so you get a few coins for his notebook.

To each their own, but I dig that mod and have never had real problems with it. I don't use ASIS though, so I guess that's a one or the other deal.

Actually one bug I got with OBIS was really odd. I might have mentioned this before. There was a named character in vanilla Skyrim (Anska, an NPC who joins you on a dungeon quest) who didn't actually have a unique face. She pulled her attributes (face, voice) from a random leveled list, usually used for bandits. Specifically the nord female list. OBIS adds more characters to leveled lists, which is generally cool, but the author didn't realize that the "female nord" list refers to the voice type, not the race. So I got a random Anska who had the wrong voice type, and that meant her unique lines were un-voiced. The fix was easy enough... I just fired up the CK for a minute and gave Anska a unique face and manually set her voice type. I blame this particular issue on Bethesda being too lazy to make a unique character actually unique. I remember reporting that issue to the author of OBIS but I never checked back for a reply.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

quote:

Trying it out, it seems to just steal 10-30 FPS and makes the game look slightly prettier

ENB in a nutshell. Grab ENB solely for the ENBoost feature. Use purity plus The Imaginator mod to tweak your graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fleve posted:

Is there a way to easily try out different ENB's? Switching from Clarity to another ENB seems to be a pain in the rear end what with all the files it had me add to the Skyrim folder and Data folder. I'll probably just re-install Skyrim instead and go with Purity without any ENB.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7804

most ENBs are bad but some are really quite good, unfortunately the odds are not in your favor. I say you should just auto-pass on any which require 85 mods to start or anything which requires a mod you look at and say "hmm, nah" as a dependency.

e: I looked at clarity's setup, if you think that's a lot of files to add, heh, well... most of the stuff it has you do is the same for every ENB (the ini tweaks) and getting the dll from the ENB site. No idea about that Nighteye thing though.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 13, 2016

• Locked thread