Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No it's not illegal, just a lovely thing to do. Job titles are literally meaningless. I could be Price of Circuitry or Deputy Bandwidth Sheriff if my job really wanted to call me that.

Setup a meeting with my supervisor later this afternoon, I feel my responsibilities fit under Deputy Bandwidth Sheriff IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's $3700 CAD/month which is really really high for tier 1/2 work in my area. It's all regional though.

e: je bent Nederlands? voor belastingen is de bruto, in Engles is "gross"

Ja, ik ben nederlands.

So yeah. I'd be shooting for 30.000 euro gross per year. I've done quite a few things this last year. Migrated a bunch of servers. The latest one being Active Directory. I'm solving every issue the migration has. Last week our erp software had an update which rebooted the erp server. Which led to a problem that the application couldn't launch because it couldn't connect to the server. I took a look into event viewer. Found out that there's a duplicate spn. Windows 2012 R2 blocks duplicate spn's. Googled how to fix this. Found that I needed to edit dSHeuristics via adsiedit. I still haven't worked for a full year as tier 1. but I can analyze and google well enough to solve most issues. I believe 2500 euro is a fair amount for a starter like me. But please let me know if I'm shooting too high, or what you guys think I should be payed.
I think I can at least ask for the raise when I'm mcsa certified and start at my new function. Worst case scenario, I get shutdown, or I can at least go up to 2000-2200. I will get nothing if I don't ask.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Agrikk posted:

There is no "typical" solution and cost.

The reason for this being that the database itself drives cost, and mileage varies per database. I might have a 1PB database or a 10gig database. I might have rows of 1k size or 1 meg blobs. I might have huge write patters or huge read patterns. I might have a single table of many columns or many small tables with lots of joins. I might have thousands of users or two.

For a back-of-napkin estimate for a medium-sized business, I might recommend $10k each for a pair of moderately powered database servers with local storage, maybe another $2k for a file server to use as a disk witness, and maybe $10k for software licenses. Round up and call it $40k. -ish.

You could always check out SQL Server on RDS on AWS. It's a fully managed SQL Server instance in the cloud. It has some limitations, but it takes out all the management of a SQL Server cluster while giving you the benefits of a database cluster that lives in multiple datacenters.

This is immensely helpful.

How do MS SQL Server Admins decided on having a Disk vs. File Witness?

I'm following that Why a Disk Witness is Better than a File-Share Witness but that doesn't seem to complex to handle.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 8, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sefal posted:

Ja, ik ben nederlands.

So yeah. I'd be shooting for 30.000 euro gross per year. I've done quite a few things this last year. Migrated a bunch of servers. The latest one being Active Directory. I'm solving every issue the migration has. Last week our erp software had an update which rebooted the erp server. Which led to a problem that the application couldn't launch because it couldn't connect to the server. I took a look into event viewer. Found out that there's a duplicate spn. Windows 2012 R2 blocks duplicate spn's. Googled how to fix this. Found that I needed to edit dSHeuristics via adsiedit. I still haven't worked for a full year as tier 1. but I can analyze and google well enough to solve most issues. I believe 2500 euro is a fair amount for a starter like me. But please let me know if I'm shooting too high, or what you guys think I should be payed.
I think I can at least ask for the raise when I'm mcsa certified and start at my new function. Worst case scenario, I get shutdown, or I can at least go up to 2000-2200. I will get nothing if I don't ask.

Ah, je spreekt goed Engels!

Sounds like you know your stuff, you should definitely go for that, and you're right, you get nothing if you don't ask. I was just comparing to my area, which is honestly a pretty lovely IT job market. 30,000 EUR = 42,000 CAD, that's a good tier 1/2 salary for my city for sure. Good luck!

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Does anyone use Clicksoft (www.clicksoftware.com) or done their training? Apparently I'm going to be trained as our clicksoft admin or something :coffeepal:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

A recruiter kept calling me and pestering me to apply for this job that they have had trouble keeping filled. Its as a lead Exchange admin. For a law firm. In the law firms downtown HQ. Despite every bone in my body telling me not to I applied. It's been a goal to crack $100K a year and this starts at that with good benefits. Something tells me though that there is a reason they've had trouble keeping the spot filled.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A recruiter kept calling me and pestering me to apply for this job that they have had trouble keeping filled. Its as a lead Exchange admin. For a law firm. In the law firms downtown HQ. Despite every bone in my body telling me not to I applied. It's been a goal to crack $100K a year and this starts at that with good benefits. Something tells me though that there is a reason they've had trouble keeping the spot filled.

JUST FIX IT POINDEXTER

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I can't fathom a law firm so big that not only do they need multiple exchange admins, they need a LEAD exchange admin.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

I can't fathom a law firm so big that not only do they need multiple exchange admins, they need a LEAD exchange admin.

Uh, are you not familiar with Big Law? Hundreds or thousands of attorneys and their attendant staff...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 8, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

You have no idea how many loving FW:fw:fw:FW:Re: YOU GOTTA SEE THIS emails lawyers will send to each other.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

Every time a client email is blocked by the spam filter they fire an exchange admin to make an example of them.

If a lawyer demands changing settings so she's allowed to send a 50 mb attachment and it bounces back from the receiver's system, that's 2 fired exchange admins.

The lead exchange admin is in charge of training every new admin, and maintaining the 70 year retention policy. If a single email in the history of the firm is missing, or takes more than an hour to restore because a lawyer shift-deleted a .msg saved in a server share, the lead exchange admin gets the boot.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah I can't wrap my head around what kind of company needs a full time permanent Exchange admin? What the hell does the guy do all day? Are they literally just manually adding in email addresses to their spam filter? Setting OOO messages for people? How can Exchange administration possibly take up 40 hours a week? And even if you are to that point and you are more there to babysit for when really weird esoteric Exchange poo poo comes up wouldnt the company be big enough to put in a support ticket from Microsoft?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah I can't wrap my head around what kind of company needs a full time permanent Exchange admin? What the hell does the guy do all day? Are they literally just manually adding in email addresses to their spam filter? Setting OOO messages for people? How can Exchange administration possibly take up 40 hours a week? And even if you are to that point and you are more there to babysit for when really weird esoteric Exchange poo poo comes up wouldnt the company be big enough to put in a support ticket from Microsoft?

Well I assume at least 25% of that time is dedicated to "secretly drinking on the job", so there's only another 30 hours to account for.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Docjowles posted:

Well I assume at least 25% of that time is dedicated to "secretly drinking on the job", so there's only another 30 hours to account for.

My friend is an Exchange admin and confirms this statement.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sefal posted:

Ja, ik ben nederlands.

I believe 2500 euro is a fair amount for a starter like me. But please let me know if I'm shooting too high, or what you guys think I should be payed.

It kinda depends on what your experience/education is. If you have a bachelor's degree you should be making 2250-2500ish after a year or 2. Sounds like you started with MBO (4 ICT beheer?) which makes 1700 as a starter not that unreasonable. Do you have a company car as well? I'm not familiar with pay outside of the Randstad area so ymmv.

If you want to discuss it outside of thethread throw me a PM.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Tab8715 posted:

This is immensely helpful.

How do MS SQL Server Admins decided on having a Disk vs. File Witness?

I'm following that Why a Disk Witness is Better than a File-Share Witness but that doesn't seem to complex to handle.

If I've already got shared disks in my cluster for FCI, the disk witness isn't much of an additional dependency to add. If I'm trying to get away from the complexities of shared disks and use mirroring, AGs, etc then I want to avoid that shared disk dependency.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My boss seemed somewhat receptive to a pay raise, and putting money out for a server. He had another board meeting next month, so I have until then to write a proposal. To present.

This is awesome.

I'm internally freaking the gently caress out though, what in god's name do I do? I don't even have a Comptia A+ Cert. I START on my bachelor's in December and now i have to talk to multi-millionaires about a loving 600 person office? I don't know how to talk to normal people like that. I didn't even know what RAID was until I flubbed a Tier 1 interview! These people are olllld too, like in their upper 50's they're going to take one look at me and say "Hah, look at this loving child playing adult."

In other news, I got a key to the TelCo room, and will spend the most of my day now labeling wires, so that I can come in (with OT,) and unfuck this spaghetti cabling. Boss has received my list after verifying the logs with Dropcam, which I feel kind of scummy about making / handing over, but whatever, I don't jack it at work. (I decided to make 2 lists, one for "Talk about when I have a real management job," and "Work Jacking.")

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 8, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

My boss seemed somewhat receptive to a pay raise, and putting money out for a server. He had another board meeting next month, so I have until then to write a proposal. To present.

This is awesome.

I'm internally freaking the gently caress out though, what in god's name do I do? I don't even have a Comptia A+ Cert. I START on my bachelor's in December and now i have to talk to multi-millionaires about a loving 600 person office? I don't know how to talk to normal people like that. I didn't even know what RAID was until I flubbed a Tier 1 interview! These people are olllld too, like in their upper 50's they're going to take one look at me and say "Hah, look at this loving child playing adult."

In other news, I got a key to the TelCo room, and will spend the most of my day now labeling wires, so that I can come in (with OT,) and unfuck this spaghetti cabling.

You have a month. You know what you want and why you want it, so just be up front and clear about what it is.Who cares they're old and millionaires I doubt they will think about you as a person long enough to worry about your situation.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Turtlicious posted:

This is awesome.

In other news, I got a key to the TelCo room, and will spend the most of my day now labeling wires, so that I can come in (with OT,) and unfuck this spaghetti cabling. Boss has received my list (after verifying the logs with Dropcam, which I feel kind of scummy about making / handing over, but whatever, I don't jack it at work. (I decided to make 2 lists, one for "Talk about when I have a real management job," and "Work Jacking.")

You know what you should do, how to do it, now you have to tell them that. You don't want to use super technical stuff, but you want to sound somewhat technical, breaking down why centralized management is a good idea (money savings, potential lawsuits etc).

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

BaseballPCHiker posted:

:allears:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

I'm internally freaking the gently caress out though, what in god's name do I do? I don't even have a Comptia A+ Cert.

What it means is that you're going to learn skills that will make the A+ irrelevant.

We're all rooting for you.

Definitely ask lots of questions. There are more specific threads that might be useful.

Also learn Powershell.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Uh, are you not familiar with Big Law? Hundreds or thousands of attorneys and their attendant staff...

Big law: Where no one is happy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If they're old, frame everything as a public security risk.

Jacking it at work? Could get a virus that causes downtime. No AD? Old employee could crack into their old computer and steal data. No prevention of users installing their own software? Combine both of the above.

Make sure to point to the recent "security breach" of that Reddit thing as to why employees need to be monitored with your solution. It will make the threat real and they can internalize that.

edit: OH and make sure to tell them that every one of their competitors have domains and group policies. If they think they're falling behind competition they will throw money like it doesn't matter.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 8, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Old millionaires aren't going to give you poo poo about your age if you talk to them in their language (money). You need to explain why you need a server in the context of saving them money. In this case, they're 1 failed system or angry employee away from the company going under, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to me that in April of the year 2016, someone is going to be making a business case for why a company of 600+ employees needs to have their machines on a domain. :allears:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's amazing to me that in April of the year 2016, someone is going to be making a business case for why a company of 600+ employees needs to have their machines on a domain. :allears:

Honestly this was the first thing that came to mind. I'd almost like to build everything from scratch once, just to say I did it, and I think it would be kind of fun.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

Honestly this was the first thing that came to mind. I'd almost like to build everything from scratch once, just to say I did it, and I think it would be kind of fun.

You could spend less than $40 to do this on Amazon AWS if you finished within a week or two.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't forget that TechNet Virtual Labs are A Thing as well:

https://vlabs.holsystems.com/vlabs/technet?eng=VLabs&auth=none&src=vlabs&altadd=true&labid=20456&lod=true

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I can't loving stand all the philisophical debates around devops. If you don't actively write code or maintain infrastructure, I don't want to hear what the gently caress you have to say.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I can't loving stand all the philisophical debates around devops. If you don't actively write code or maintain infrastructure, I don't want to hear what the gently caress you have to say.

The only devops people I know personally are the types who do the jobs of two people but get the paycheck of one.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sickening posted:

The only devops people I know personally are the types who do the jobs of two people but get the paycheck of one.

I'm talking about "improvement coaches" or, generally, people that speak at devops conventions.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm talking about "improvement coaches" or, generally, people that speak at devops conventions.

So the type who do the job of zero people but get the paycheck of two.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

So the type who do the job of zero people but get the paycheck of two.

:golfclap:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

Lead Exchange admin means there are a few junior/generalist people on the team who have some Exchange experience and can fix a failing DAG when you're home drunk but aren't trusted to correctly handle things like discovery

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Writing code and maintaining infrastructure are the same thing

[fires grenade over wall and covers ears]

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Law = sharing mailbox folders between staff.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

Writing code and maintaining infrastructure are the same thing

[fires grenade over wall and covers ears]

Did you make sure to follow the playbook for that grenade?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Virigoth posted:

Did you make sure to follow the playbook for that grenade?
The code is the playbook too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You could spend less than $40 to do this on Amazon AWS if you finished within a week or two.

I think that'd be a neat option for a lab.

Maybe Turtlicious could configure a domain in AWS, get some basics set up as a proof of concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think that'd be a neat option for a lab.

Maybe Turtlicious could configure a domain in AWS, get some basics set up as a proof of concept.

You can do a (extremely underpowered) Windows Server 2012 R2 machine under the Free Tier and not spend any money. I configured a server from scratch including DNS, DHCP, AD, and some simpler parts of IIS without spending a dime. I didn't have any machines to join the domain but it was still good experience to avoid the deer-in-headlights look in case I get surprised with a server install.