Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sakurazuka posted:

Skipping the first day of a new online focused game is usually a good idea. Sometimes more.

As a rule of thumb, I usually always skip midnight releases. Im getting old. Most of the time I go home and don't even open the drat thing until the next day. Not to mention a lot of times, there can be some really weird people that go to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I voted for broforce, but honestly in retrospect both of the other games look more solid. Assault action cactus looks like the best one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NESguerilla posted:

I voted for broforce, but honestly in retrospect both of the other games look more solid. Assault action cactus looks like the best one.

I just DL'd this, pretty excited

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
So I got lucky with my gamefly resubscription and they sent me The Division on March 7th. How long will it take to get to me? I know in the past people complained about Gamefly's slowness but I wonder if they changed that. I'm about 4 hours away from the distribution center they assigned my account.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 8, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm about 2 hours from my distro center, and it usually takes 2-4 days for the games to get to me after the shipping notice. I am also waiting for the Division, so we'll see!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CJacobs posted:

I liked the boat graveyard & cruise ship but it's pretty plainly obvious that they came up for the idea for it first and then sloppily tried to slot it into the story, especially considering it's totally divorced from everything else that happens. You could completely remove everything from Drake getting knocked out by the pirate dude to Drake crashing at Elena's house before he gets on the plane and the game would be no different. Uncharted 3 has a lot of good setpieces that they were trying very hard to make excuses for you to go through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5OA0QKEFQ

Here's a good video on why Talbot sucks dongs as a character which also elaborates further on the team writing setpieces first and then story (which, according to dev interviews cited in the vid, they did do).

yeah, 3 feels very frankensteined together. its still an ok game. 2 is pretty much the pincal of the series at least until 4 comes out. after the last of us i assume their story telling has evolved.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is Dragon's Dogma Online any good? My eyes tend to glaze over as soon as I see "free to play" because that has never not translated to "horribly boring pay to win grindfest".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Uncharted 3 felt like a mess to me. The game came out and the aiming had problems, then there was the cast leaving due to taking other roles, there was the part with the horse that felt like a rehash of Uncharted 2.

I also remember my eyes rolling out of the back of my head at the part where you survive walking in the desert and are pretty much dehydrated and exhausted and there is another battle inside an abandoned city.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no horse section in 2 though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aphrodite posted:

There's no horse section in 2 though.

Did you play UC2 or UC3 but not both? You jump off the horse all the time and it's almost exactly the same as the UC2 truck level, at the same point in the game.

blackguy32 posted:

I also remember my eyes rolling out of the back of my head at the part where you survive walking in the desert and are pretty much dehydrated and exhausted and there is another battle inside an abandoned city.

I hated this poo poo so much. They could have done something interesting with this and had him sneak around more or steal some water from the guys and then hide out and rest up a bit but he literally just stumbles into them and he's totally fine from that point on like nothing happened. The entire endgame is a joke. Also I can't believe they did three games in a row of looking for an artifact that turns out to be a chemical that turns people into berserker mutants. To the point where I'm not even interested in Uncharted 4, especially after The Last of Us. I don't know how they can possibly make a better game than that. I'll check out UC4 when it's cheaper because it's not like UC3 was the worst game ever made but Last of Us is where it's at to me. I'd rather see them do another game like that (not necessarily a sequel to Last of Us) with the more detailed writing and not quite pure action movie trappings.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 8, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

goferchan posted:

I just DL'd this, pretty excited

Please post a trip report.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Between the part with Drake wandering through the desert and the entire game screaming at you SULLY'S GONNA loving DIE IN THIS GAME at the top of its lungs, the whole thing had a much darker atmosphere to it than the other two. That desert segment was so bleak and hopeless in its execution that I started to wonder if they were actually going to kill him off and have you finish the game as someone else a la those parts of The Last Of Us where you play as Ellie.They took it in the "miraculous survival" direction instead and I'm fine with both outcomes but that would've been a really interesting twist.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Also I can't believe they did three games in a row of looking for an artifact that turns out to be a chemical that turns people into berserker mutants. To the point where I'm not even interested in Uncharted 4, especially after The Last of Us.
What if the thing they're looking for in Uncharted 4 turns out to be these weird mushrooms

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

The part with Drake wandering through the desert was so bleak and hopeless in its execution that I started to wonder if they were actually going to kill him off and have you finish the game as someone else a la those parts of The Last Of Us where you play as Ellie. They took it in the "miraculous survival" direction instead and I'm fine with both outcomes but that would've been a really interesting twist.

Yeah but there wasn't even a miracle, he got dehydrated to the point of collapse and hallucinations and then he just walked it off.

That said, UC4 is selling the impression that he dies so hard it makes me think they want it to be a huge twist when he doesn't.

My Lovely Horse posted:

What if the thing they're looking for in Uncharted 4 turns out to be these weird mushrooms

This would be the best.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is a AAA flagship game from a revered series. It will be like God of War III where Kratos is totally gonna die for real guys but then he doesn't and is filled with hope the end.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Last of Us is the Uncharted 1 bad end.

I still hate that EA didn't somehow fit a Red Marker into Dragon Age or a more oblique reference to Darkspawn in Mass Effect. I loved the backstory to the DLC armors though: The Blood Dragon armor or whatever in Mass Effect 2 and Ser Isaac of Clarke's legendary armor in Dragon Age 2 that he once confronted the Darkspawn known as "necromorphs" in.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 8, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

Yeah but there wasn't even a miracle, he got dehydrated to the point of collapse and hallucinations and then he just walked it off.

That said, UC4 is selling the impression that he dies so hard it makes me think they want it to be a huge twist when he doesn't.

This would be the best.

I don't mean miraculous in that way, I mean it's miraculous that he survived the circumstances at all.

Neo Rasa posted:

The Last of Us is the Uncharted 1 bad end.

Uncharted 3 does have this easter egg in it:

So I assume Drake and his buddies are all old people out there somewhere during The Last Of Us, fighting off zombies and raiding tombs for not-treasure or whatever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So important question: Did they officially fire the person(s) from the DS4 team that designed the "start" button as a flush button right next to a giant gently caress off flush clickpad? And the person(s) that approved that design? Good god what a bad choice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have never accidentally mixed the touchpad and options button, and I can immediately tell where my thumb is by tactile response, they feel totally different

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I don't mean miraculous in that way, I mean it's miraculous that he survived the circumstances at all.

Uncharted 3 does have this easter egg in it:

So I assume Drake and his buddies are all old people out there somewhere during The Last Of Us, fighting off zombies and raiding tombs for not-treasure or whatever.

I think my favorite intercompany Easter egg is blue meth appearing in a drug stash in The Walking Dead. Where are my Breaking Bad Left 4 Dead mods people.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NESguerilla posted:

Please post a trip report.

Liking it a lot so far. I'm in Zone 3 and things are starting to get REALLY hectic -- surviving isn't too hard but getting high scores/S+ ranks is a bitch (and there's a really cool feature you can turn on that auto-restarts a level if you break your multiplier and disqualify yourself from an S-rank). Also the characters and their weapons have a lot of variety so far, the weapon design for the character you unlock when you beat Zone 2 is super creative and different than anything I've ever seen in an overhead shooter. I've only played for an hour or so but from what I've seen I'm pretty charmed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have never accidentally mixed the touchpad and options button, and I can immediately tell where my thumb is by tactile response, they feel totally different

I did it a lot when I first got the console. Also because I never used the start button in bloodborne. I don't even know if does anything. So switching to any other game was like "wait, what button?"

edit: except that it totally does and I am tripping.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BonoMan posted:

So important question: Did they officially fire the person(s) from the DS4 team

You could have stopped there, the whole face of the DS4 fuckin sucks. The touchpad and the lightbar are the shittiest form of gimmick because, like the sixaxis of PS3 yore, including them in your game is compulsory if your game is a PS4 exclusive. The lightbar is just stupid in general because the glow is too dim to see in any form of natural light and it's on the part of the controller that is facing directly away from you.

Snak posted:

I did it a lot when I first got the console. Also because I never used the start button in bloodborne. I don't even know if does anything. So switching to any other game was like "wait, what button?"

the start options button opens the menu in bloodborne, you have no choice but to use it incredibly frequently

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

You could have stopped there, the whole face of the DS4 fuckin sucks. The touchpad and the lightbar are the shittiest form of gimmick because, like the sixaxis of PS3 yore, including them in your game is compulsory if your game is a PS4 exclusive. The lightbar is just stupid in general because the glow is too dim to see in any form of natural light and it's on the part of the controller that is facing directly away from you.

the start options button opens the menu in bloodborne, you have no choice but to use it incredibly frequently

the light is dumb but might have a use in VR with the camera tracking it.

the touchpad is glorious because it functions as like 5 separate buttons if the dev wants so who cares if its a bad touchpad the mgsv, witcher 3 and bloodborne make great use of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I havne't played Witcher but doesn't Bloodborne just use it for slightly wonky triggering of gestures?

I can't remember the last game I played (since Bloodborne) that used the pad for more than a big button.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

I havne't played Witcher but doesn't Bloodborne just use it for slightly wonky triggering of gestures?

I can't remember the last game I played (since Bloodborne) that used the pad for more than a big button.

The left side button on the touchpad is a whole second item hotbar and the right button is the gesture menu. The touch element of the touchpad itself isn't used at all, as is the case in most games. Scratch that, I realized that you're talking about the waggle functionality.

edit: I lol'd at the Uncharted re-release because Drake's journal used to be on the select button, but since the select button no longer exists they just shoved it on all 3 touchpad buttons and said gently caress it. You can't even use the touchpad part of the touchpad to like, flip the pages or something gimmicky like that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 8, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The start button's placement is pretty dumb. However, I will defend the track pad by saying Second Son used it well for QTEs. Had a different feel than any other QTE I had ever encountered

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The touchpad is really cool

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shadow225 posted:

The start button's placement is pretty dumb. However, I will defend the track pad by saying Second Son used it well for QTEs. Had a different feel than any other QTE I had ever encountered

The Second Son gimmick where you're supposed to shake up the controller and use it like it's a can of spray paint was actually awesome

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

The touchpad is really cool

I disagree, and if I had to guess I'd say the reason it's even there is because the DS4 needed a Cool New Gimmick to try and one-up the xbone controller sticking to its standards- as well as reinforce that the PS4 will revolutionize the way you experience videogames or whatever -and they couldn't do waggle controls again because they did that last time. Ironically what came of this is the left side of the touch pad being the select button and the right side being new, with the touch functionality taking a back seat.

edit: I just noticed that the ever-so-popular nickname for the xb1 filters to 'Xbox One' which is very petty, but admirable, and I assume the shark tank thread is to blame for that

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What's wrong with the touchpad? It's potentially what, 4-6 extra buttons plus gestures/swiping?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The DS4 is the best-feeling gamepad in its design and if my left stick rubber didn't start flaking and the stick itself start sticking after 2 and a half years, I would have no complaints about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

What's wrong with the touchpad? It's potentially what, 4-6 extra buttons plus gestures/swiping?

If the extra buttons are the real boon there, put more buttons on the controller. It serves no purpose other than being a novelty (and it's ugly imo). It's not like it's actively harmful to the PS4 Experience that it is there, I just think that it encourages developers to create unnecessary mechanics in their game just to utilize it, much like how Sony required first-time exclusive developers to use sixaxis on the PS3. Look to Uncharted for a prime example: Uncharted 1 forced you to use sixaxis aiming for the grenade arc throw because it was Naughty Dog's first PS3 exclusive. 2 and 3 got rid of that poo poo and it's not possible in the PS4 version at all because it was an annoying gimmick that made the game crappier.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The DS4 is the best-feeling gamepad in its design and if my left stick rubber didn't start flaking and the stick itself start sticking after 2 and a half years, I would have no complaints about it

I like the xbone's sticks better but the rest of the DS4 aside from the touchpad is definitely good poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Where are all of these bad touchpad features being forced into games

edit: I literally do not understand saying "sixaxxis was dumb" as an argument against the touchpad bc I don't see any of that stuff going on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nowhere, the touchpad is barely used so all it does is drive up the price of the controller and annoy people who meant to press Option.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

Where are all of these bad touchpad features being forced into games

edit: I literally do not understand saying "sixaxxis was dumb" as an argument against the touchpad bc I don't see any of that stuff going on

Encouragement is not the same as being forced- and I'm glad Sony didn't go the same route with the touchpad as they did with the sixaxis, because that would have sucked. My point is that there are way more ways it can make a game worse through being shoehorned in than there are ways it can make a game better by being integrated naturally. I was using the sixaxis as an example of the former that already exists.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 8, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats Stories: The Path of Destinies

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

rabidsquid posted:

The Second Son gimmick where you're supposed to shake up the controller and use it like it's a can of spray paint was actually awesome

Didn't it have force feedback? The force feedback and sound effect were loving spot on. I ended up doing all spray painting before finishing any other activity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spring is looking huge now with

Salt and Sanctuary,
Invisible inc.
and mother loving housemarque's next game alientation (holy poo poo the particles! gently caress the other two games i listed i can wait to play 2d souls gimmick and 5 dollar steam sale srpg but 4 player coop alien shooting with extreme lighting and particles is my poo poo)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

Nowhere, the touchpad is barely used so all it does is drive up the price of the controller and annoy people who meant to press Option.

I don't understand people who have this problem. the buttons don't feel the same at all, they're far enough apart, so how are you pressing a touchpad instead of a small tactile button next to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I like the DS4 and like the touchpad. It's not quite Xbox level of comfort for me, but it's close.

But the options button is so so so close to the touchpad that when I go to press it, I often press the touchpad down too. Very frustrating.

• Locked thread