Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
To clarify, it's not infinite combos that cause draws in Magic, it's mandatory infinite loops. Plenty of decks in plenty of formats do infinite combos, the idea is that they win you the game (or make the game effectively impossible to win for your opponent) from any position since you can do whatever good thing an infinite number of times.

As far as playing games wrong goes, it's fun to see adepts of particular playstyles in Magic decry other playstyles. People will call combo decks "just jerking off with Magic cards" and "uninteractive" and "single player". People will call aggro decks "braindead" and "just turning guys sideways". People will call control decks "winning by boring your opponent to death". Although that last one is pretty good - due to the rules enforced at Magic events to make sure they end in a timely manner, certain control decks have planned on winning game 1 of a best of 3 by just refusing to lose until the opponent runs themselves out of cards, and then having game 2 take so goddamned long that a draw is declared and they win 1-0. Whether that's playing the game wrong or extremely right is a matter of opinion.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HMS Boromir posted:

To clarify, it's not infinite combos that cause draws in Magic, it's mandatory infinite loops. Plenty of decks in plenty of formats do infinite combos, the idea is that they win you the game (or make the game effectively impossible to win for your opponent) from any position since you can do whatever good thing an infinite number of times.

As far as playing games wrong goes, it's fun to see adepts of particular playstyles in Magic decry other playstyles. People will call combo decks "just jerking off with Magic cards" and "uninteractive" and "single player". People will call aggro decks "braindead" and "just turning guys sideways". People will call control decks "winning by boring your opponent to death". Although that last one is pretty good - due to the rules enforced at Magic events to make sure they end in a timely manner, certain control decks have planned on winning game 1 of a best of 3 by just refusing to lose until the opponent runs themselves out of cards, and then having game 2 take so goddamned long that a draw is declared and they win 1-0. Whether that's playing the game wrong or extremely right is a matter of opinion.

All trollish magic builds are good and cool. The only people who get upset at that poo poo are people who can't afford to just buy the cards they need to make decks like that, and if you can't afford to do that you should not be spending your meager income on competitive trading card games.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Your only playing a game wrong if your not having fun and your actively harming other players fun.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rumda posted:

Your only playing a game wrong if your not having fun and your actively harming other players fun.

what if the fun comes from ruining the other players' fun? because the only reason I ever agree to play the stupid overcomplicated boardgames my friends like is so I can make really dumb moves that make them all cranky and then pretend it's just cuz I don't understand the game.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Rumda posted:

Then how do you play Monopoly right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only time I've ever played Monopoly without it ending in a fist fight was because we played online and were in different countries.

I would have gotten stabbed otherwise.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Spelling Mitsake posted:

By putting it back in the box and playing something good instead. Like Diplomacy.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The usual advice is like, Don't add anything to free parking; when a person lands on unbought property and doesn't buy it, auction that property immediately (bidding starts at whatever someone will pay for it); actually trade, even if it gives a monopoly, because you can potentially use that money to win.

Though honestly like, every bit of advice for playing monopoly right basically comes down to people adding house rules, or ignoring rules / avoiding mechanics, that make games take massively longer. So all of the advice comes down to tricks to play less monopoly at a time :v

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Honestly, the base Monopoly rules aren't that bad. These days Monopoly rulebooks specifically suggest not to use rules like the Free Parking lottery, because it just prolongs the inevitable.

A Monopoly game I got given for Christmas a few years ago had a 'speed version' that was pretty good. Its main strength was having everyone start with two random properties, so the action was going right from the start.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Spelling Mitsake posted:

With fire.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Put 4 houses on every property you own, never upgrade to hotels. This will create a shortage, and no other players will be able to build up their properties.

That's the quickest way to show everyone why Monopoly is poo poo and should not be played ever again.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 9, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Alternatively, role play Monopoly. Be the most unscrupulous character you can: cheat where possible, bribe and blackmail other players, embezzle if you are the banker, buy shares in other players' monopolies...

I'm not allowed to play Monopoly anymore

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You haven't played monopoly til you start a massive media smear campaign against your rivals. Ghomeshi learned the hardw way I roll that way. Fucker had all four railwayz

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tsaedje posted:

Alternatively, role play Monopoly. Buy all the railroads and then immediately start quoting Ayn Rand. The game is over when all the other players have quit of frustration.

I'm not allowed to play Monopoly anymore

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just start talking screaming inappropriate racial slurs until I am asked to leave. Now I'm not allowed to play monopoly anymore!! :grin:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

call of duty strats strong in all games it seems

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

I just start talking screaming inappropriate racial slurs until I am asked to leave. Now I'm not allowed to play monopoly anymore!! :grin:

Don't lie we all know inappropriate slurs are the norm, what did you really do to get ejected from the grand halls of Monopoly

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Chip Cheezum posted:

It took us around 6 or 7 hours to describe the plot of Metal Gear in one sitting. This is the point where it got a little saucy.

Drunk Metal Gear History #3.....Baldurdash.....Libsyn/RSS feed

Jesus christ Ironicus you were vehemently soused like loving drat. Despite all your drunkenness between you, goddamn you are explaining this plot so super-easy, this should be like a college instructional video!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Looks like in real life, Aiden Pearce is a bit older than expected.

quote:

Dennis Nicholl, a financial analyst at the University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago, was arrested this past week for fulfilling the dreams of many commuters worldwide: silencing cellphone conversations.

The epic saga began in late 2015, when Chicago residents noticed their calls being dropped or lacking service altogether while traveling on area trains. Chicago IT worker Brain Raida outed Nicholl as the cause after sharing a photo on Reddit of the man with the jammer in one hand and a can of beer in the other. The illegal device is capable of shutting down cellphone and radio signals throughout the vicinity.

“I think he liked the feeling of being in control of the car,” Aaron Robison, who witnessed Nicholl in action, told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s kind of a digital, ‘Stay off my lawn, you young people with your cellphones.’ ”

The Chicago Police Department, Chicago Transit Authority and the Federal Communications Commission conducted an undercover sting operation on March 8 to catch Nicholl in the act. He was charged with a felony, as jammers can shut off police radios and block emergency calls. He faces jail time and a fine of up to $100,000.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

chitoryu12 posted:

Well that explains the gravely voice! :haw:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

what if the fun comes from ruining the other players' fun? because the only reason I ever agree to play the stupid overcomplicated boardgames my friends like is so I can make really dumb moves that make them all cranky and then pretend it's just cuz I don't understand the game.

I addressed this already:

Dr. Buttass posted:

Son, you are on the internet, the ancestral home of people who take things that are supposed to be fun, and suck all the fun out of them, and refuse to have fun themselves while doing it.

As a side note, if your idea of having fun involves making things not fun for other people (see: Ironicus' example of someone "winning" Dread), you may, technically, be playing the game right, by certain definitions of the concept, but also, gently caress you, die in a fire.

Like, seriously, for you to have fun, at least one other person has to have their day entirely ruined. Not by accident, either; you actively seek this out. You are the villain in a show for small children. And even in a show for older people you'd still only manage to be that one "friend" everyone actually hates, but for some reason they can't seem to get rid of. I imagine your situation in real life is pretty much along those lines too.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

chitoryu12 posted:

Rather than traindrinking like a tramp, he should have been classy about it: (Denial of) Service Dog

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

General Ironicus posted:

There's a tabletop RPG called Dread. It's a horror game, and the way it works is anytime your character tries something dangerous the GM tells you to pull some number of bricks from a Jenga tower. If the tower falls, you die. You always have the option of refusing to pull, and your character cannot be killed for it. Basically, you can "win" by refusing to play. If a machete-wielding psychopath is chasing me and the GM says to pull 3 bricks if I want to fight back I can say no. I'll get injured and the story moves on. Every once in a while the GM will ask me if I want to do anything while my other friends are doing fun horror movie things, but I refuse to pull any bricks and my character lies in a hospital bed, waiting for the story to end. That is, to me, the perfect image of playing a game wrong; and would make you an rear end in a top hat, quite frankly.

Yeah, I played a game of Dread with a guy who did this. He did eventually die, and nobody mourned his dumb character (who was an rear end in a top hat).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Jesus christ Ironicus you were vehemently soused like loving drat. Despite all your drunkenness between you, goddamn you are explaining this plot so super-easy, this should be like a college instructional video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpVbYIKZZLQ

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dr. Buttass posted:

I addressed this already:

Like, seriously, for you to have fun, at least one other person has to have their day entirely ruined. Not by accident, either; you actively seek this out. You are the villain in a show for small children. And even in a show for older people you'd still only manage to be that one "friend" everyone actually hates, but for some reason they can't seem to get rid of. I imagine your situation in real life is pretty much along those lines too.

You seem really angry about games, or like your friends have no sense of humor. Everyone knows I will try to mess the game up. To them, it's fun and challenging to select games that make that difficult for me and to try to play in ways that minimize my opportunities. There's a whole metagame of me trying to gently caress the game up and them trying to stop me. Sorry games are really serious for you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You seem really angry about games, or like your friends have no sense of humor. Everyone knows I will try to mess the game up. To them, it's fun and challenging to select games that make that difficult for me and to try to play in ways that minimize my opportunities. There's a whole metagame of me trying to gently caress the game up and them trying to stop me. Sorry games are really serious for you.

"I can only have fun when I make other people feel bad."

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Actually, no, you just sound like an insufferable shitheel

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Green Intern posted:

Yeah, I played a game of Dread with a guy who did this. He did eventually die, and nobody mourned his dumb character (who was an rear end in a top hat).
I would be shamed into being considered one when I was introduced to the world of roguelikes and wanted to house rule a single-player game. This is a genre where the mere mention of trying to spruce up a game in the smallest way will bring out the grognards calling you a horrible cheater, ruining the fun you could have gained, and should feel ashamed for not playing the game the way it was intended. I just wanted multiple saves in case a blackout kills my progress, which is something that type of game seems made specifically to prevent you from doing.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

"I make games less fun for others, so they have to change what games they're playing so I can't ruin them"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually griefing is cool and good.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dabir posted:

Actually griefing is cool and good.

I was bullied in school and I turned out as a better human because of it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would be shamed into being considered one when I was introduced to the world of roguelikes and wanted to house rule a single-player game. This is a genre where the mere mention of trying to spruce up a game in the smallest way will bring out the grognards calling you a horrible cheater, ruining the fun you could have gained, and should feel ashamed for not playing the game the way it was intended. I just wanted multiple saves in case a blackout kills my progress, which is something that type of game seems made specifically to prevent you from doing.

But roguelikes generally are single-player? Multiple saves isn't really a huge conceit anyway, if you just want to explore the game world.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Green Intern posted:

But roguelikes generally are single-player?

People can and do get pretty weird about how other people play their strictly SP games.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

I bet you think Family Guy is the pinnacle of satire too.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

You must be the world's greatest Mario Party player.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty cool about it. It has a dedicated wizard mode, which is basically debug, but if you play it without using debug options, it just gives you a prompt to not die every time you get reduced to 0 HP. It's good for testing new builds and just finding out what situations to watch out for in normal play, the only tradeoff being that you can't save your score. I think the game normally autosaves every floor or so, too, judging from the one time it crashed on me. And you can copypaste saves as usual, if you want. DCSS is the pinnacle of accessibility for classic roguelikes as far as I know, it even has a functioning tutorial!

Somebody would probably complain about you using any of these features, including the tutorial, but it's a single-player game, who cares?

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

"My friends are doing their best to include me, but wow I sure can't stop fuckin it up for them"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dr. Buttass posted:

I bet you think Family Guy is the pinnacle of satire too.

Satire has to make some kind of point. Even when you can charitably describe what Family Guy does as "jokes", I don't think it has a point deeper than "Seth Macfarlane thinks he is way smarter and more progressive than he actually is."

I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept that my social circles like the way I play games. If they didn't like it, they'd tell me to stop. We are all adults and capable of giving and receiving criticism.

And Mario Party owns for sure. Nothing better than carefully laying the groundwork to suicide your whole team at once. The key is that it has to be funny, you can't just deliberately tank and be like "lol guys I hosed you over". The loving things up has to come in unexpected and elaborate ways. If I was just deliberately ruining the game full stop it would be dumb and no one would like me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If they enjoy it then you're not ruining their fun so what's the problem? Are you saying it's impossible to ruin someone else's fun? Or that it's the other person's fault if you ruin their fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Aithon posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty cool about it. It has a dedicated wizard mode, which is basically debug, but if you play it without using debug options, it just gives you a prompt to not die every time you get reduced to 0 HP. It's good for testing new builds and just finding out what situations to watch out for in normal play, the only tradeoff being that you can't save your score. I think the game normally autosaves every floor or so, too, judging from the one time it crashed on me. And you can copypaste saves as usual, if you want. DCSS is the pinnacle of accessibility for classic roguelikes as far as I know, it even has a functioning tutorial!

Somebody would probably complain about you using any of these features, including the tutorial, but it's a single-player game, who cares?

Confirming that DCSS is real cool.

• Locked thread