Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I wish apps that weren't just iMessage would have content pushed up instead of having sometimes important onscreen buttons covered by the iPad Pro's suggestion bar at the bottom. It covers up important bits in some apps and just makes more work when you have to press the onscreen hide button for that bar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Ohhh :downs:

I guess he does more poo poo on the phone (or flat out uses it more) and notices its limitations more than the iPad?

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. When I hate it, I'm trying to use my phone to quickly pull up a google doc or YouTube video or an image in Evernote and the wait used to be fine, now it's kind of awkward and embarrassing and I end up wishing I'd just used my laptop. The iPad is always prepped beforehand since I bring it out if I'm planning to present something and less like, "take a look at this table", you know?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
iOS 9.3 Public Beta 5 came out at some stage I guess. Installing it now (from PB4) and I can't tell if the progress bar is moving exceedingly slowly or if the update has frozen altogether.

I'm guessing it's really not safe to force power the device off in the middle of an update, should I just wait it out? I don't think the bar has moved in about 5 minutes but again, it might just be hella slow.

edit: Had to do a power+home reset. Progress bar then flew up to full and everything is updated. Weird!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 4, 2016

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
So I've been exclusively using my Pro with the Logi case for the past two weeks (laptop is getting a new logic board), and have really become quite enamored with it. Yes, it's bulky and it's a pain to reach up to scroll in some apps, but discovering the various shortcuts available makes it a far more productive tool for me. I'm thinking I may actually keep using it.

I *really* loving wish I could pair a mouse or trackpad to it.

And a question: so far as the Pencil, has anyone seen any indication that a new version (I.e. Black or other colors) is forthcoming? I want to buy one but would prefer something that matches.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I'd pay a decent amount of money for mouse support on the pro.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just a follow-up. I ended up ordering this yesterday and had it over-nighted.

This folio style case is god drat work of art. It looks and feel gorgeous, and the fit is very snug. I really like that it uses a tray, instead of a sleeve like most leather cases (and even the tray has a leather outer on it). It's also the thinest profile of any iPad case I've used that allows you to swivel to a portrait orientation. The loop for the Pencil is also very snug. I'm not worried about it working loose and if the leather does eventually loosen up from stretching, I'm pretty confident it won't happen for a few years. Speaking of the leather, it's very fine grained and feels like it will stand up to the usual abuse a folio would take. I got a brown one, so it will show the aging and weathering well.

It's not a cheap case by any stretch of imagination, but based on my initial impressions it appears to be worth it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

App13 posted:

I'd pay a decent amount of money for mouse support on the pro.

Unfortunately it seems to be nigh impossible, given that it's a completely basic feature that should have shipped with the Pro, and didn't. By that metric alone I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

That being said, they are probably moving towards that goal for future versions of ios now that it's so obviously a desirable feature. I just wouldn't expect it before ios 10 and probably more like ios 11.

Their idea of keeping desktop and mobile OS completely separate made sense in the past and lead to cleaner implementations on both platforms, but clearly it sucks now. Win10 proved the usefulness of a blended system.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 4, 2016

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I just set up a surface pro with Windows 10 earlier today and could not agree more.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I remember with the iPad 1, you could use the usb-30pin dongle to connect a wired mouse. It didn't work well but it allowed navigation and clicks. The OS was just not ready for it then.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

flosofl posted:

Just a follow-up. I ended up ordering this yesterday and had it over-nighted.

This folio style case is god drat work of art. It looks and feel gorgeous, and the fit is very snug. I really like that it uses a tray, instead of a sleeve like most leather cases (and even the tray has a leather outer on it). It's also the thinest profile of any iPad case I've used that allows you to swivel to a portrait orientation. The loop for the Pencil is also very snug. I'm not worried about it working loose and if the leather does eventually loosen up from stretching, I'm pretty confident it won't happen for a few years. Speaking of the leather, it's very fine grained and feels like it will stand up to the usual abuse a folio would take. I got a brown one, so it will show the aging and weathering well.

It's not a cheap case by any stretch of imagination, but based on my initial impressions it appears to be worth it.

Glad to hear! Waiting for mine to come in but I'm also still waiting on my iPad. Seems like exactly what I was looking for. It's expensive, but for me it feel like this will be the first and last case I'll buy.

pipebomb posted:

I remember with the iPad 1, you could use the usb-30pin dongle to connect a wired mouse. It didn't work well but it allowed navigation and clicks. The OS was just not ready for it then.

I bet they could do it now. You can get a cursor if you hard press on the keypad on new iPhones. With an iPad you'd obviously need a piece of hardware but the software seems to work fine in iOS.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Apple wants to ensure people keep buying MacBook Airs. It's just a loving driver they won't include - if you jailbreak you can use a BT mouse.

http://www.ringwald.ch/cydia/mouse/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pipebomb posted:

Huh never heard any mouse usage outside of bluetooth with jailbreak tweaks. I used a keyboard with that USB dongle though! Unreliable as hell cause half the time it'd complain it couldn't power the device and I think at some point they just disabled USB keyboard functionality.

Call of Cholula posted:

Apple wants to ensure people keep buying MacBook Airs. It's just a loving driver they won't include - if you jailbreak you can use a BT mouse.

http://www.ringwald.ch/cydia/mouse/
It's not like that thing magically unlocks hidden fleshed out mouse functionality though, afaik it just maps stuff directly to touch. Like if you click to place the insertion point in the middle of a word it'll end up at the beginning or end unless you click hold to bring up the loupe. I assume other stuff is implemented better by now, but before to scroll you had to click hold drag (like you'd scroll with your finger on screen), right click was mapped to the home button, and scrolling was mapped to pinch to zoom.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Does the Pencil work as a stylus outside of note/drawing apps?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

pipebomb posted:

Does the Pencil work as a stylus outside of note/drawing apps?

Yes, although you cannot use it to pull down noticiations or pull up the bottom settings bar. Everything else, including the keyboard, works. I also read that it's broken in the current beta (but works fine in the current release ios) and will be fixed again by the next point release.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

for the owners of the ipad pro, what do you think of it?
i was thinking of getting one to replace my Surface Pro 3 but

App13
Dec 31, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I did this. It was a good move.

Granted I used my surface for taking notes and drawing

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I bought one and returned in shortly after. Don't know how it compares to the SP3, but I found it too large/heavy with a case. The primary reason I wanted one is for note taking, but (maybe due to my horrible writing style) I couldn't stand the sound of the stylus tapping against the glass screen. It's not really a huge deal normally, but I wouldn't be able to use it during seminars/meetings without annoying everyone. I have a junky Note Pro 12.2 from Samsung that I rarely use for anything but really like the slightly softer S-pen tip.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I need to change my country for my Apple ID and apparently it needs me to clear my credit before I can do that.

What's a good new app/game to buy that's USD 0.99?

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I need to change my country for my Apple ID and apparently it needs me to clear my credit before I can do that.

There's a whole iOS games thread in the Games forum. Also, it's 99c just buy whatever

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Have a contest, gift someone an app for guessing your favorite brand of ramen or whatever.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Am I crazy, or can I not split the keyboard in portrait mode on the pro? I could have sworn I was able to when I was playing with a model at the Apple store.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pipebomb posted:

Have a contest, gift someone an app for guessing your favorite brand of ramen or whatever.

You cannot gift from store credit.

Haggins posted:

Am I crazy, or can I not split the keyboard in portrait mode on the pro? I could have sworn I was able to when I was playing with a model at the Apple store.

You cannot split the keyboard on pro.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

shrike82 posted:

I use mine a lot and like it.

Pros:
The Apple Pencil is a loving godsend if you are an artist. I use it with the native app ProCreate, but am incredibly happy with using Astropad to connect my iPad to my Mac and using Clip Studio Paint with it. This is great when I want to get away from my Cintiq and draw on my couch or something.

I'm a loving man child so I like reading comics on the Pro; the bigger screen allows me to see a full page without it being shrunken down. And reading books on it is nicer as well (I'm getting loving old and need bigger type :corsair: )

Cons: loving expensive for the 128gb version.

I mean, it really depends on what you need it for, and honestly unless one is an artist, I have a hard time telling people to get a Pro over an Air, but some people just like a bigger screen.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I do a lot of flowcharting and diagramming, and the Pro + Pencil is really nice for that as well. The palm rejection is wizardry compared to the Air + pencil by 53.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

shrike82 posted:

I'm only a couple days into using my pro, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. I mostly use mine as an e-reader, and it seems the largest screen is the best for e-reading. For awhile I read comics and magazines on the 9.7 ipad, but I went back to paper because they just didn't fit right. Haven't read any novels yet, but text only reading seems good as it let's you have two pages open at the same time like a real book.

As for movie/tv/video watching this thing is great. The built in speakers are loud and sound great. I felt the speakers on the old ipads were only really good for watching short clips. Anything more than that, like say a TV show or movie, I'd want to put in headphones. Now I feel like the built in speakers are plenty good.

As for the pencil, I haven't used it yet. I don't draw, but on my mac I do use a wacom to edit photos. When I'm out and about shooting or traveling I really enjoyed editing photos on my old ipad. I can't wait to test this new one out.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
So I'm going on an international trip and that means dealing with a long international flight. I want to being my iPad mini (obviously) but not my macbook because other than the flight there and back I won't be using it.

I want to cram it full of movies and shows and poo poo but obviously I have limited space. Is there a cheap way (read: not a wifi hard drive that I would use once) to add more storage? I have a portable external right now that has all my poo poo, I would love it if there was a way to connect it to my iPad.

A Google search gives me largely "no" answers but those are years old.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
The only possible thing I can think of is streaming the videos off of an SD card via the camera connection kit, but that's an old trick I'm not sure still works. Even if it does it requires a bit of preparation since it's not what it was designed for.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

logikv9 posted:

So I'm going on an international trip and that means dealing with a long international flight. I want to being my iPad mini (obviously) but not my macbook because other than the flight there and back I won't be using it.

I want to cram it full of movies and shows and poo poo but obviously I have limited space. Is there a cheap way (read: not a wifi hard drive that I would use once) to add more storage? I have a portable external right now that has all my poo poo, I would love it if there was a way to connect it to my iPad.

A Google search gives me largely "no" answers but those are years old.

There are a couple of special drives you can get that work with proprietary apps; there are also those wifi units that come with integrated storage that your iPad can connect to and access data on.

But honestly even a 16gb iPad could contain dozens of hours of video footage if you don't insist on 1080p content.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think the answer is "books". Like, a novel provides over 20 hours of entertainment and is max 4mb.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tuyop posted:

I think the answer is "books". Like, a novel provides over 20 hours of entertainment and is max 4mb.

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your planes will almost certainly have entertainment things in them, too. Last international trip I took, I barely touched the stuff I brought with me since there was enough movies I wanted to watch on the plane.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Your planes will almost certainly have entertainment things in them, too. Last international trip I took, I barely touched the stuff I brought with me since there was enough movies I wanted to watch on the plane.

I've flown for 12-14 hours a few times in the past year, and I always bring a ton of stuff but end up sleeping on the plane and maybe watching one movie.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tuyop posted:

Maybe games? I spent like 3/4 of an 8-hour layover nostalgia-tripping through GTA: Vice City on my Air 1 one time.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Some airlines also have a inflight netflix like streaming service. Basically the same type of stuff available on the headrest screen (a couple recent movies/recent TV shows) but streamed to your tablet/computer of choice.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I've flown for 12-14 hours a few times in the past year, and I always bring a ton of stuff but end up sleeping on the plane and maybe watching one movie.

Same here. Haven't flown international in awhile but I do coast to coast US a few times a year. I end up reading a couple magazines or listening to music before I conk out and wake up 30 minutes before landing.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

metztli posted:

I do a lot of flowcharting and diagramming, and the Pro + Pencil is really nice for that as well. The palm rejection is wizardry compared to the Air + pencil by 53.

What app do you use for that?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Athletic Footjob posted:

I wish apps that weren't just iMessage would have content pushed up instead of having sometimes important onscreen buttons covered by the iPad Pro's suggestion bar at the bottom. It covers up important bits in some apps and just makes more work when you have to press the onscreen hide button for that bar:
In every developer's defense, that suggestion bar just appeared and is impossible to deal with. Apple likes to just poo poo all over your layout whenever they want.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It even happens in Apple apps as shown by my screenshots there. It makes split screen apps with a keyboard kinda annoying, which is a shame.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm considering getting an iPad primarily as a document reader/annotator type of thing and secondary to watch media in bed. Obviously I'm gonna wait a couple weeks to see what's new but should I get a mini or air for this purpose? I guess I read things on my 6S at the moment so the size doesn't bother me but I don't have any experience with it so maybe it's just not something I'm missing but will want. What's important though imo is the weight of the thing. I had an original iPad way back when and sold it off because it was too god drat heavy if I remember correctly. Wikipedia says that one was 1.5 lbs and the Air is 1 lb, so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Also why is it iPad Air but iPad mini?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm considering getting an iPad primarily as a document reader/annotator type of thing and secondary to watch media in bed. Obviously I'm gonna wait a couple weeks to see what's new but should I get a mini or air for this purpose? I guess I read things on my 6S at the moment so the size doesn't bother me but I don't have any experience with it so maybe it's just not something I'm missing but will want. What's important though imo is the weight of the thing. I had an original iPad way back when and sold it off because it was too god drat heavy if I remember correctly. Wikipedia says that one was 1.5 lbs and the Air is 1 lb, so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Also why is it iPad Air but iPad mini?

I switched from an Air 1 to a mini 4 and couldn't be happier. I use it (among other things) as a document/ebook reader and for watching netflix, and find it perfectly fine for those purposes. Sometimes the fonts on websites are a little too small, but pinch-zoom-out easily takes care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I'm a big fan of the mini but for me personally I wouldn't want to do much in the way of annotating on it. The new iPad Pro is coming out in a 10-in model so that might be right up your alley.