Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Rear springs and shocks on MIL's Cobalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Front driver's side wheel bearing was making some terrible sounds so I decided to take a look at it. I think I found the problem...

Pulled the hub and it rained bearing guts

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
You must be made of money to be replacing it so soon - that bearing has at least another 20k in it!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
20k feet, maybe. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Crustashio posted:

A handheld steamer helps a shitload for peeling it off, but I still found i've always had to razorblade residue off afterwards. Which is why I still haven't done the rear window on my M3, don't want to hit the defroster lines.

I've got one, but the damned thing clogged up or something. It's definitely building pressure, just none of out comes out of the nozzle...
I killed the defroster on the RX-7 when I pulled the tint off then. I have another hatch to go on eventually.

Bucephalus posted:

Had a front spring on my Cutlass do that once, a bit higher in the spring. Went over a rise in the pavement - *TONG* - and the car was a couple inches lower on one side. Whelp, time for performance lowering springs!
Got Edelbrock springs that turned out to be too soft or short for the Cutlass. My crossmember was 3" off the pavement. Looked killer, but I whacked that crossmember all the time. The rears were fine, so I assume that the Olds small-block w/ AC was heavier than a comparable Chevelle. Bought Hotchkis front springs specifically for a small-block Olds with AC, and everything is great now. Even worked well with the Edelbrock rears, as far as ride height.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bucephalus posted:

Yet another reason progressive springs are for and of the devil.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

You must be made of money to be replacing it so soon - that bearing has at least another 20k in it!

Seriously, the grease is still liquid even.

This was mine last time. It went from no noticeable issues, to requiring additional throttle to just drive in about 30-50 miles. And I only found a few more rollers than are pictured.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My mother managed to really gently caress a bearing up. The remains of the rollers had gotten hot enough to weld the races together when she stopped. I get a phone call about how her car was pulling and sluggish and now it won't move; when I arrived, you could smell the hot metal. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures, with my vga resolution cameraphone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't have pics anymore, but I had a wheel bearing go from fine to "sounds like a CV joint clicking, guess I'll start pricing new CV joints" to "oh god something is metal on metal".

I don't know how the hell it happened, but the inside race had a chunk missing out of it. I'm guessing the random clicking was a ball dropping into the missing chunk and popping back out, and the sudden grinding was everything getting stuck at once?

Timkin bearing with about 5k on it too. :sigh:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I had a bearing go in the Mini, but not terribly, just dented enough to loosen. Of course, when that happens, it takes pressure off the axle nut (which is torqued to 190 ft./lbs. :stare:).

Of course, I was 30+ minutes from home when I noticed the distinct change from that wheel. Limped it back without incident, using the brakes to push the bearing back together periodically, and mentally checking through the parts diagram to identify how many other fasteners had to fail before the loving wheel would leave.

When I got back, the cotter pin was sheared and I could spin the axle nut with my fingers.

Good times

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
I put new intercooler hoses on my Audi URS6 but neglected to reinstall one of the bolts holding the cross pipe to the front crossmember. As soon as I put my foot down it shat my turbo outlet hose and corresponding $5 t-bolt clamps all over the highway. Spent 20 minutes in a turn out area wrestling it back together enough to limp to work on zero boost. Fun times.

Got it fixed that night and spent much of yesterday making turbo noises.

e: never did find those clamps.

Alabamarama fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 9, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jhcain posted:

Wasted money and effort to make noise. Seems like a fair trade off.

http://youtu.be/BMj52fqU21U
If you listen carefully, you can hear when they open at about :08

My old man had these on his '01 Z28 ages ago. Forgive the potato-quality video, this was shot on a point-and-shoot that was like 2MP in still mode :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkOnnl4BMU

Cam, longtube headers, high-flow Y-pipe and cat, then the QTP cutout. Everything back of it was the bone-stock garbage exhaust so the cutout was actually worth something like 20hp on the dyno.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I didn't do it... but a 17 year old driving too fast in the wet locked it up, spun it round and backed into me:

And as added icing... "Uhh, I dont think I am insured?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alabamarama posted:

I put new intercooler hoses on my Audi URS6 but neglected to reinstall one of the bolts holding the cross pipe to the front crossmember. As soon as I put my foot down it shat my turbo outlet hose and corresponding $5 t-bolt clamps all over the highway. Spent 20 minutes in a turn out area wrestling it back together enough to limp to work on zero boost. Fun times.

Got it fixed that night and spent much of yesterday making turbo noises.

e: never did find those clamps.

A year or so ago I checked my motorcycle's oil at the gas station, but forgot to screw the cap back in all the way. Crankcase pressure and engine vibration ejected the cap/dipstick immediately but I didn't notice until my foot slipped off the right peg about 2 miles down the road. Lost half the total oil and drenched my boot and pant leg.

I walked back to the gas station in 100 degrees wearing all my leather and found the cap ten feet away from the gas pump. Bought more oil at the AutoZone that was conveniently across the street, filled it up and had no problems other than a rear brake that didn't work for a couple of days while the oil burned off.

Also, my right boot now takes a better polish than the left one and holds it longer too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tobu posted:

I didn't do it... but a 17 year old driving too fast in the wet locked it up, spun it round and backed into me:

Oh for gently caress's sake. :/

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

88h88 posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. :/

~Men don't cry~ but the boots now welded shut, a big arse strut brace blocks the ski-hole... and the book I'm reading is trapped.

At least I've had some good news this evening. His mum called me, a nice sounding lady, and she is going to cover the costs completely.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

tobu posted:

You and your pretty, pretty car have the worst luck. Glad to hear about the kid's mom, though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

Was he P Plater Commodore/Falcon driver?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

You Am I posted:

Was he P Plater Commodore/Falcon driver?

Close! Green 'P's Hilux on his way to technical college.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

Close! Green 'P's Hilux on his way to technical college.

Ah, light rear end. I thought it was RWD of some sort. Amazing how many P Platers don't know about which wheels do the driving, and what happens when the road conditions change and you still drive like an idiot

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Finally got around to cleaning the Civic sun visor I bought at the junkyard last weekend. It was pretty gross before. One side had muddy boot prints or something on it and the other side of it was just filthy glove prints.

Now it's not bad.

I didn't get a scoop with my oxi clean :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Is this the thread for people loving up your rides? E21 was at the shop having some things finished up then a tow truck driver snagged it...

I dropped off a spare fender I had. They repainted it and tossed on a new headlight. Whole car needs paint (:fuckoff:hail) but it was still annoying.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

It died the next day, succumbing to the dreaded P0601. New ECU is en route.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I wish other people would stop trashing our people's poo poo... :(

In other news I took this old fart for an MOT to see what it's like underneath. I knew the exhaust was shot to poo poo and blowing more than a $10 hooker so was going to fail on that but I wanted to see underneath and how it all looked. Dude testing it was quite surprised to see that it was in good condition considering it's 28 years old at this point. Only a few niggly bits really. Need a new exhaust centre/back and 2 new tyres as the car's been sat for years and they've started to perish.

Not bad for an old girl. :allears:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 11, 2016

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Did an oil change on her today, then she's going on the market. After she's sold, I'll only own 3 Toyotas! (And a Ford.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MasonF posted:

Did an oil change on her today, then she's going on the market. After she's sold, I'll only own 3 Toyotas! (And a Ford.)

What on earth is this?! :allears:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

88h88 posted:

Late '70s Celica with some matte black paint.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MasonF posted:

Oh man, I'd love some more pictures of this. My first car was very nearly a '78 Celica liftback but it needed the everything. Ended up with '86 Celica liftback instead.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

88h88 posted:

1979 Celica GT Liftback! It's the only one I have ever seen here in town.

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh man, I'd love some more pictures of this. My first car was very nearly a '78 Celica liftback but it needed the everything. Ended up with '86 Celica liftback instead.
I haven't done much to it other than adding fog lights, wheels and tires, and all new bushings. It's a cool car, but I really need to get rid of it so I can get my MR2 working.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is this the thread for people loving up your rides? E21 was at the shop having some things finished up then a tow truck driver snagged it...

I dropped off a spare fender I had. They repainted it and tossed on a new headlight. Whole car needs paint (:fuckoff:hail) but it was still annoying.

Your tires are backwards :colbert:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

What's the deal with using plates on another car? Did he actually get all the reg stuff set up to tie the MA plates to the Allroad?

Yeah, I don't know how, but he got it all set up before he arrived. Those plates came from a car he was in the process of selling anyway, so he was able to transfer them from his to mine.

After he got it home and unloaded all the parts I sent with him, he says the stock suspension is making noise. I'm betting it's a sway bar end link from the way he describes it. After dropping $850 on it the day before I sold it to swap the suspension, it's his problem now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boring as gently caress update: new Continentals on the CRV are sooooo much quieter than the only halfway worn Coopers I took off. The Coopers were louder than the ATs on my drat Jeep.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Boring as gently caress update: new Continentals on the CRV are sooooo much quieter than the only halfway worn Coopers I took off. The Coopers were louder than the ATs on my drat Jeep.

The right tire makes so much difference.

My rides today got washed, and the Envoy got its door seals glycerin'd because whenever we got freezing rain or ice here, the doors froze shut because of the seals. The glycerin will make that not happen anymore.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Washed the C5. There was a buttload of rubber residue behind both tires on the driver's side, barely a few flecks on the passenger side. Something to be concerned about? Tire wear seems even. I was doing some spirited driving the past few weeks, but no wild burnouts or anything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Tail light replacement on the Civic.

That doesn't seem right.

Neither does that.

A rusty tail light sounds like something a Tijuana hooker would give you on the fourth of July but I can confirm it is nowhere near as enjoyable in reality.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

The right tire makes so much difference.

It really does. They're the newer version of the Contis that came on it OEM. Only went with the Coopers because Discount doesn't stock the Continentals (but DTD does!) and one got murdered by road debris when they had about 30k on them.

Lesson learned, that thing is only getting Continentals from now on. They aren't even expensive or anything.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It really does. They're the newer version of the Contis that came on it OEM. Only went with the Coopers because Discount doesn't stock the Continentals (but DTD does!) and one got murdered by road debris when they had about 30k on them.

Lesson learned, that thing is only getting Continentals from now on. They aren't even expensive or anything.

Another Continental convert.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Aside from being poo poo in the snow I am loving my Conti DWS' so far. Good poo poo.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Started tracking down a sputtering above 2k RPM on my '99 rusty as gently caress Chevy 3/4 ton I've mothballed for the last three months- hasn't snowed enough to put plow on, so it's just... Sat there. Not out of the woods yet, but hopefully, now that I've pilfered the proper 16mm combination wrench from work, I can swap the fuel filter and that'll do it. Hopefully.

Oh, and seafoam, lotsa seafoam.

Better not be a clogged Cat. That would total this loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tail light replacement on the Civic.

That doesn't seem right.

Neither does that.

A rusty tail light sounds like something a Tijuana hooker would give you on the fourth of July but I can confirm it is nowhere near as enjoyable in reality.

Working on my Civic taught me that with Honda it's possible for plastic to rust.