Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Noted shitposter JFK got what he deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what supernatural contradiction spotting will the next ace attorney bring. will maya's new pet cat hiss at testimony. will apollo be able to rotate witnesses on the stand

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm remembering all the explanations for magic in phoenix wright vs professor layton and they still own

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

what supernatural contradiction spotting will the next ace attorney bring. will maya's new pet cat hiss at testimony. will apollo be able to rotate witnesses on the stand

A mystical table that slams itself in the presence of a contradiction.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oddium posted:

i'm remembering all the explanations for magic in phoenix wright vs professor layton and they still own

It was weird they felt the need in apollo justice to give a really detailed psuedoscience justification for the lie-spotting wristbands that only worked for apollo's family when previous games had maya and pearl straight up channeling spirits

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am very skeptical of this line of thinking, because it's the exact sort that justifies censorship and dominates the more irritating elements of the political left. Moral guardians have attempted to convince us that our entertainment is the cause of our sins for decades now and it's been nonsense since the start.

I have literally no idea how saying "media influences people" justifies censorship, or is even a contentious issue.

Ravane posted:

lol that's very true like one time I watched american psycho and then I started beating up homeless people

Lady Naga posted:

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.
Also Patrick Bateman is shown to be a horrible person in the film itself, unlike Aiden Pearce. Please stop being a complete moron TIA.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 9, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Hog Inspector posted:

It was weird they felt the need in apollo justice to give a really detailed psuedoscience justification for the lie-spotting wristbands that only worked for apollo's family when previous games had maya and pearl straight up channeling spirits

pw vs pl is on a whole nother level. spoilers just in "case" (<-- ace attorney joke)

everyone lives in a walled-in town set up by british megabillionaire and his medical research company. everyone is hypnotized all the time from the drugs in the ground water. when a witch casts a spell, everyone gets knocked out, superhypnotized outcasts from the village move things around, then everyone wakes up and whoa wow it looks like magic happened. also no one can see pure black and it turns out there's giant skycranes in almost every single visible part of the sky

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If media didn't influence people, this rear end in a top hat wouldn't be embarrassing himself like this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is that ted cruz

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Like I know video games are a new-ish medium and still face a lot of stigma for being childish or "lesser" but Jesus loving Christ people we should be able to accept extremely basic standards of literary analysis and criticism regardless.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I don't have a 3DS so I'm sadly way behind on the good-rear end nintendo games that have been coming out. Hopefully I'll get around to it before a gang of FE rioters burn down their headquarters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Like I know video games are a new-ish medium and still face a lot of stigma for being childish or "lesser" but Jesus loving Christ people we should be able to accept extremely basic standards of literary analysis and criticism regardless.

[Media I like] can change lives and inspire people to do great things and change how you think about the world unless you suggest it can have a bad influence in which case it is literally impossible for media to provoke any kind of response in a human.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am very skeptical of this line of thinking, because it's the exact sort that justifies censorship and dominates the more irritating elements of the political left. Moral guardians have attempted to convince us that our entertainment is the cause of our sins for decades now and it's been nonsense since the start.

There's plenty of evidence that media affects people, like Mean World Syndrome, the CSI Effect, and the entire advertising industry. It's just that most gamers never moved past 20 years ago when games were used as a scapegoat so they'll latch onto every bit of validation no matter how flimsy (actually, games improve hand-eye coordination mom) but will off-handedly reject any criticism because they didn't grow up to be an axe murderer so obviously it's beyond reproach.

The fact that a lot of gamers are also into the gently caress YEAH SCIENCE thing just makes it funnier when they have to rationalize away science that actually challenges their lifestyle and worldview.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's just pointless to talk about how "people" are being insidiously influenced by any piece of media where a lovely, sociopathic person does lovely, sociopathic things without getting some kind of come-uppance. And it's also impossible to argue because it's apparently invisible so you don't even know it's happening. All you can really say is "ok. I still just think watch_dogs was a mostly lovely game."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

It's just pointless to talk about how "people" are being insidiously influenced by any piece of media where a lovely, sociopathic person does lovely, sociopathic things without getting some kind of come-uppance. And it's also impossible to argue because it's apparently invisible so you don't even know it's happening. All you can really say is "ok. I still just think watch_dogs was a mostly lovely game."

What?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My point is this conversation is doomed to lead loving nowhere other than you making a bunch of condescending posts hth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

My point is this conversation is doomed to lead loving nowhere other than you making a bunch of condescending posts hth.

You definitely beat 'em to it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
me? yeah, i love to analyze Media.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

Only if you're unable to accept very basic concepts like "America has a problem with support of vigilante justice and violence as a means of conflict resolution, and media wherein a crazed vigilante murders dozens of people to resolve conflicts does not help that preconception."

A supreme court justice member unironically used 24 as a justification for torture and you're over here telling me that Watch_Dogs affects people in ways we can't possibly know or understand.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

me? yeah, i love to analyze Media.

i got the boys in the lab analyzing your media....... ....

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I have literally no idea how saying "media influences people" justifies censorship, or is even a contentious issue.

It's a vague statement in general, but based on the context of your post, it seems you are suggesting that media must show bad behavior being punished in some way or else that media is implicitly supporting or encouraging that bad behavior. Otherwise, simply saying "media influences people" doesn't really mean much. Influences them how? Towards what? In what way? I mean, yes, the presence of a television in a room influences what I may do while in that room, but I don't think that's what you meant.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You definitely beat 'em to it.

Oh, I'm definitely being equally condescending but in my defense it's in the interest of moving the topic of conversation away from Watch_Dogs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a vague statement in general, but based on the context of your post, it seems you are suggesting that media must show bad behavior being punished in some way or else that media is implicitly supporting or encouraging that bad behavior. Otherwise, simply saying "media influences people" doesn't really mean much. Influences them how? Towards what? In what way? I mean, yes, the presence of a television in a room influences what I may do while in that room, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Okay but I don't know how you can go from "media does have a responsibility to portray negative characters in a negative light" to "media that doesn't portray negative characters in a negative light should be banned"?

PantsBandit posted:

Oh, I'm definitely being equally condescending but in my defense it's in the interest of moving the topic of conversation away from Watch_Dogs.

Sorry for talking about a thing you don't want to talk about in the general games discussion thread :smith:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

oddium posted:

i got the boys in the lab analyzing your media....... ....

the only lab you're qualified to work with is a meth lab

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

It doesn't justify it, but when has media-inspired fear of the unknown led to a proper justification?

Lady Naga posted:

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.

Whether or not science affirms or refutes the notion that violent videogames lead to violent social tendencies, someone's going to :airquote: ask the hard-hitting questions that companies and science refuse to correctly answer :airquote:

tl;dr Fearmongering over violent games--regardless of the actual impact of the games--leads to censorship.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's actually really easy to tell whether a piece of media supports the actions of a character regardless of whether that character is actively punished in the story.

I mean if it's a super complex and/or well written story it can be fairly ambiguous but the vast majority of media (especially video games) is extremely clear in portraying whether something is right or wrong.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^ Well yes, usually an author wants to make a point, but that's not really what's being discussed here.

Lady Naga posted:

Okay but I don't know how you can go from "media does have a responsibility to portray negative characters in a negative light" to "media that doesn't portray negative characters in a negative light should be banned"?

Because then naturally one says "well, how can we ensure that media live up to its responsibility?" (not that I agree with that statement mind). Like, if one thinks media has this responsibility and thusly deems it not living up to its responsibility, the next logical step seems to be either setting "standards" that all content must follow or outright banning material that does not showcase proper morals.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 9, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the only lab you're qualified to work with is a meth lab

i've been subtly influenced by [Br]eaking [B]ad.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Mistle posted:

It doesn't justify it, but when has media-inspired fear of the unknown led to a proper justification?

Whether or not science affirms or refutes the notion that violent videogames lead to violent social tendencies, someone's going to :airquote: ask the hard-hitting questions that companies and science refuse to correctly answer :airquote:

tl;dr Fearmongering over violent games--regardless of the actual impact of the games--leads to censorship.

Lots of good things can possibly lead to bad conclusions but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do them. How is saying "Watch_Dogs is bad because it reinforces lovely behavior" "fearmongering"? People sure are reading into a ton of poo poo I didn't say.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Because then naturally one says "well, how can we ensure that media live up to its responsibility?" (not that I agree with that statement mind). Like, if one thinks media has this responsibility and thusly deems it not living up to its responsibility, the next logical step seems to be either setting "standards" that all content must follow or outright banning material that does not showcase proper morals.

No, the next logical step is critizing media that doesn't live up to its standards by saying it sucks and giving it a bad score, much like you would if it plays bad or has horrible sound design.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

watch_dogs tells you in the title that it's ok to look at dogs but it turns out there isn't a single drat dog in the game? what message is this game trying to send here

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mistle posted:

No one is fearmongering or talking about violence in games you stupid idiot.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There's a pretty big leap between "should" and "must"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Talk about video games in the thread for talking about videogames? Everyone knows that if you discuss games at any level beyond declaring them the best/worst ever and asking for pro strats then you may as well be the lovechild of Jack Thompson and Tipper Gore snowboarding down a mountain of censorship.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have a responsibility to not talk about my horrific fetishes in public but if I do I'm not going to be thrown in jail or "censored", people are just going to tell me to shut the gently caress up. Perhaps the same can apply to media?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

watch_dogs tells you in the title that it's ok to look at dogs but it turns out there isn't a single drat dog in the game? what message is this game trying to send here

"don't play me"

They fulfilled their responsibility where it matters most imo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

No, the next logical step is critizing media that doesn't live up to its standards by saying it sucks and giving it a bad score, much like you would if it plays bad or has horrible sound design.

Well, that's fine then. I guess I somehow took your stance as being more authoritative, i.e. media MUST uphold this social responsibility, rather than that being a personal criteria of your own.

To that end, I simply disagree. I don't think a story has any responsibility to anyone other than satisfying the desire of the author to communicate an idea, describe a situation, or just spin a yarn.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't think a story has any responsibility to anyone other than satisfying the desire of the author to communicate an idea, describe a situation, or just spin a yarn.

Watch_Dogs does none of these things either though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Watch_Dogs does none of these things either though.

Yes, shockingly enough, Watch Dogs is a Bad Game made by a Bad Publisher.

It's a pity too, it was one of those six-year projects, so I bet it was a big pipe dream by a really creative visionary type at the company, but poo poo got bogged down, that guy left years ago, and they just pieced it all together out of stray assets while they made Farcry and Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Talk about video games in the thread for talking about videogames? Everyone knows that if you discuss games at any level beyond declaring them the best/worst ever and asking for pro strats then you may as well be the lovechild of Jack Thompson and Tipper Gore snowboarding down a mountain of censorship.

People can talk about whatever the hell they want but just maybe certain topics aren't conducive to a web forum and are just going to lead to a bunch of people insulting one another.

• Locked thread