Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm so glad I wasted 12 years of my life on the Army so I have no IRL friends or family or anything to interact with so that my only source of communication with the outside world is a thread about the loving army dear god I should have just killed myself when it was more appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

also FRG needs to be banned or restructured or something, what a (potentially) terribly abusive and completely missing the point thing that has become

FRG functions were just the absolute best thing ever when you're single in the barracks. Like life didn't loving blow enough putting up with the barracks, you got roped into the bullshit part of being married with none of the freedoms of signing a contract marriage with a local stripper.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

i'm so glad I wasted 12 years of my life on the Army so I have no IRL friends or family or anything to interact with so that my only source of communication with the outside world is a thread about the loving army dear god I should have just killed myself when it was more appealing

settle down beavis

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

SumYungGui posted:

FRG functions were just the absolute best thing ever when you're single in the barracks. Like life didn't loving blow enough putting up with the barracks, you got roped into the bullshit part of being married with none of the freedoms of signing a contract marriage with a local stripper.

the only reason single soldiers get roped into this poo poo is for the FRG Bosses ego (usually the CO's wife) so yeah that's where the abuse starts imo.

I hated that it was mandatory for either me or my wife. Like, you know, if you want people to show up you could make them interesting or something that people might want to show up? Or you could give us an hour class about how to file taxes and tell us about the tax center on post which is manned by E3s after a week long course so they can fill out a 1040EZ for you and your fat rear end wife with a household income of about $25k but what do I know

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Teflon Don posted:

settle down beavis

you're right time for some deep breathing exercises

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

that being said, being a chaplain would own if you were ok with limited promotion opportunities.

I'm enlisted. Being a chaplain would be my greatest promotion opportunity.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

you're right time for some deep breathing exercises

Come to the west side of Washington and smoke some weed with me dude. Wait that might not be good cuz I'm really close to JBLM and that might be triggering. Or we could get an on post pass and smoke weed and point and laugh at all the idiots still in.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

Come to the west side of Washington and smoke some weed with me dude. Wait that might not be good cuz I'm really close to JBLM and that might be triggering. Or we could get an on post pass and smoke weed and point and laugh at all the idiots still in.

Mind if I join you guys for that?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

I'm down with all of that except the going on post part, I haven't even bothered to get a new ID card :o:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

I enjoy the part where the Army requires chaplains to make themselves available to soldiers of all faiths, but specifically allows them to be homophobic.

Are you saying you aren't scared of gay people?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

Mind if I join you guys for that?

Sure.

I'm down with all of that except the going on post part, I haven't even bothered to get a new ID card :o:

Or we could just smoke weed that's cool too.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand there's some ranges that are technically part of JBLM but are on the side of a public road that runs parallel to the base on north fort. Just wait until some dorks set up for a range and then point and laugh yelling gently caress you if you're still in. I dunno I'm just making this poo poo up as I go we don't have to do any of that :shrug:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

the army loving sucks

444 days left....

I genuinely think I'll be a lovely nco but apparently I am going to BLC and a board so we'll see. Worst they can do is give me a bunch of extra paperwork and responsibility with very little monetary compensation and oh god noooo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
is BLC a new WLC

being an NCO is pretty easy if you treat people with dignity or however you would like to be treated (golden rule) instead of making arbitrary and dumb decisions based on "back when you were a private" type bullshit childrens games

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

On the other hand there's some ranges that are technically part of JBLM but are on the side of a public road that runs parallel to the base on north fort. Just wait until some dorks set up for a range and then point and laugh yelling gently caress you if you're still in. I dunno I'm just making this poo poo up as I go we don't have to do any of that :shrug:

make a big fuckin sign instead that way you dont rasp your throat

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Would it be against some rule to soap it up on your windows?

Or what if your rear window said something like CSM's Love Dongs!!! so it wouldn't necessarily be against some "decency" law?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Would it be against some rule to soap it up on your windows?

Or what if your rear window said something like CSM's Love Dongs!!! so it wouldn't necessarily be against some "decency" law?

It's detrimental to the good order and discipline of the Army.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

is BLC a new WLC

being an NCO is pretty easy if you treat people with dignity or however you would like to be treated (golden rule) instead of making arbitrary and dumb decisions based on "back when you were a private" type bullshit childrens games

Yeah, it changed earlier this year to BLC. It's also now required to go to before you can get promoted.

I just don't give a poo poo about a lot of the army stuff up to and including the mission sometimes.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

spacetoaster posted:

It's detrimental to the good order and discipline of the Army.

gently caress yeah that was obvious, how'd I forget

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Aranan posted:

I just don't give a poo poo about a lot of the army stuff up to and including the mission sometimes.

Just worry about taking care of your dudes and everything else will take care of itself, because even if you don't care too much about next weeks FTX, some of those dudes do care and want to do well. Keep them out of the dumb poo poo as much as possible and they'll make you look good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

They keep trying to send me to CCC and I'm like "lol nope".

IRR packet is at final auth. :prepop:

brains
May 12, 2004

is BLC a new WLC

and one day you'll find yourself actually in a position to not only treat people like adults, but stomp the gently caress gently caress games before they even begin.

the caveat is, of course, that there is no absolutely no benefit to becoming a senior NCO, because no matter what rank or position you reach, you're still enlisted

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

IRR packet is at final auth. :prepop:

Just get a flag so they can't send you

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

brains posted:

the caveat is, of course, that there is no absolutely no benefit to becoming a senior NCO, because no matter what rank or position you reach, you're still enlisted

It works both ways. Nothing's funnier than watching tryhard SNCOs on a brigade staff attempt to boss around a bunch of CW4s and O4s that don't give a poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The saddest thing about getting stationed at JBLM is not being able to enjoy all that legal weed :(

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

The saddest thing about getting stationed at JBLM is not being able to enjoy all that legal weed :(

Undercover work for CID or MPI. :smuggo:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mike-o posted:

Forget the ranges, go hang out by where all of those idiots PT and ruck (down by the gas chambers).

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

psydude posted:

Hey what's wrong with a 6 month PCS besides the fact that everyone else in the entire loving world would consider it loving nuts to move your family somewhere for six months before moving them across the world six months later? Oh, is that a problem? Well then you can go solo, gently caress your dwell time.

I hate that I've been out for years but army stuff can still make me a little mad :smith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Delizin posted:

So with the new process (last like 5 years or so) the VA determines the ratings for the Army and your VA disability. The Army only gets to say whether you stay in or get out, they no longer have any say whatsoever in your rating or whether or not you are retired.

After the PEB decides that you are no longer fit for duty the VA has to give you a rating and they usually schedule a QTC appointment with some contracted doctor's office to determine how hosed up you are. The doctor will fill out a form provided by the VA called a Disability Benefit Questionnaire, or DBQ, which then gets sent to the VA. They then compare the DBQ to the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) to find your condition, or the closest analogous condition, and how bad it affects you to determine your ratings. Those ratings are sent back to the PEB and you have one opportunity to appeal it before are separated. The Army will take the ratings for all of the conditions that the PEB decided made you unfit for duty and that will determine whether you are medically retired or separated with severance.

You can and should take a look at the DBQs here and find the ones that relate to your condition:
http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.asp

Remember with these QTC appointments, they want to know your limitations on your worst day, not your best. Make sure to tell them how bad and limiting your condition really is when it is at it's worst to make sure that you get rated properly.

Thanks for this

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mike-o posted:

This is like reverse stolen valor

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

RIGHT!? There's a shop like a few miles from my house offering ten dollar grams everyday. I used to pay 30 a quarter but that was swag. I'm sure this poo poo will put my dick in the dirt.

As soon as I get that DD214 I'm going straight to the shop

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

iKon posted:

Hey what's wrong with a 6 month PCS besides the fact that everyone else in the entire loving world would consider it loving nuts to move your family somewhere for six months before moving them across the world six months later? Oh, is that a problem? Well then you can go solo, gently caress your dwell time.

I hate that I've been out for years but army stuff can still make me a little mad :smith:

That's when you go get a deadmans profile because gently caress you im getting out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

iKon posted:

I'm reserve so fortunately it's just two two week long sessions and two distance learning modules. So just highly inconvenient instead of massively stupid.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ace of Baes posted:

That's when you go get a deadmans profile because gently caress you im getting out.

Then you get yelled at for not pushing yourself.

Productive day today! Did college work, played elder scrolls online for a bit and watched PSG beat up on Chelsea.

Love it

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Guys, I have one drill left. Less than one month left. Just over a month until my DD-214. Whaaaaaaaat.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cool. Mandatory ACAP at 8. Expecting to wake up later than normal. Called at 5 for a piss test.

This 30 minute drive gonna suck

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Cool. Mandatory ACAP at 8. Expecting to wake up later than normal. Called at 5 for a piss test.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

So loving glad I'm out.

SMDFTB

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If the the pee pee checker ever got that close I'd be intentionally getting him some splashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I got a backrub once.

• Locked thread