Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Alternatively, C'tis are responsible necromancers and don't accidentally destroy the world except by teaching it to humans, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nkr
Oct 22, 2010

I'm gonna count to ten and you're gonna hand over all the cash, or I'm gonna splatter your grease paint mug across the state line!

ChickenWing posted:

MA Ermor works, but you'll never get to play them in a multiplayer game because they are cancer.

EA Therodos, MA Sceleria and LA Lemuria are all nations based around undead, but they're all pretty bad. Sceleria at least isn't just ghosts, so they're probably your best bet

Whats wrong with Ermor?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

nkr posted:

Whats wrong with Ermor?

The popkill mechanic turns their portion of the world into a desolate hellhole that doesn't produce gold and the nation is extremely powerful. Games with Ermor work like this generally

Option 1) Ermor is dogpiled by his neighbors and loses. Said neighbors then lose because they wasted a lot of effort getting dead provinces. Someone not next to Ermor wins the game.
Option 2) Aforementioned dogpile doesn't happen or is ruined by backstabbery. Ermor probably wins the game.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

^--- what he said

nkr posted:

Whats wrong with Ermor?

they popkill everything, literally every province their dominion touches they kill population off to make their undead army. Basically fighting them sucks dicks because as they take your land and push into it, they kill your income, and if you push them and take hteir lands, you are losing tons of units for nothing because the provinces you take are going to give you no income.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They are also banned from most games, which is the primary reason you can't play them.

I highly recommend against joining any game that doesn't ban them.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Someone should make a goonmod to balance them a bit better, undead are always cool. I am new so I dunno how to go about it but evidently everyone hates the popkill dominion

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
independent of the popkill thing ermor is also really loving powerful, and really loving tedious to play as/against

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

I started next to a level 3 throne with this jerk Annunaki of the Sky on it, and have been throwing naga seductions at him all game. Is there ever a chance to get a commander with morale over 20-30 to switch sides?

Urban Sorcerer fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 8, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Urban Sorcerer posted:

I started next to a level 3 throne with this jerk Annunaki of the Sky on it, and have been throwing naga seductions at him all game. Is there ever a chance to get a commander with morale over 20-30 to switch sides?

I think, though I could admittedly be wrong, that the "Wasn't even remotely interested" portion means it is literally impossible to seduce it. I seem to recall that pretender chassis generally have inbuilt charm immunity, so throne ones may as well, irrespective of what its actual Morale is.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lord Koth posted:

I think, though I could admittedly be wrong, that the "Wasn't even remotely interested" portion means it is literally impossible to seduce it. I seem to recall that pretender chassis generally have inbuilt charm immunity, so throne ones may as well, irrespective of what its actual Morale is.

Battlefield charm effects definitely still work against throne defenders. One of the best thing about being blood is going and hellbind heart charming those suckers.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

pretenders have build in charm immunity, on account of pretenders, so do prophets. pretender chassis have 30 morale and thus are immune to seduce. you have to actually be a pretender to be immune to charm. just liek you have to be a prophet

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

independent of the popkill thing ermor is also really loving powerful, and really loving tedious to play as/against
"Yo hope you built a fuckload of H2 priests in your first seven-to-ten turns instead of any mages whatsoever, first war target"
":("

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005

How are u posted:

Battlefield charm effects definitely still work against throne defenders. One of the best thing about being blood is going and hellbind heart charming those suckers.

This is true, and is amazingly useful when you get something like a Great Mother. I just wanted to be totally sure it was impossible and not just incredibly unlikely. Does any nation have better seducers than Patala? I'm really diggin' this snake people nation for that reason, it is a shame it dosen't have much else going for it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Urban Sorcerer posted:

This is true, and is amazingly useful when you get something like a Great Mother. I just wanted to be totally sure it was impossible and not just incredibly unlikely. Does any nation have better seducers than Patala? I'm really diggin' this snake people nation for that reason, it is a shame it dosen't have much else going for it.
In LA, Pan has equally good recruitable seducers, and so does Marignon (neither of which takes a capital slot). Bogarus, Caelum and Ragha can summon them (but they're complete garbage in a fight without gear, and that's what most seduction attempts result in). Any Blood nation can get Succubi, too.

Patala has a load of cool summons and some forest recruitment, I reckon they're alright.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

jBrereton posted:

In LA, Pan has equally good recruitable seducers, and so does Marignon (neither of which takes a capital slot). Bogarus, Caelum and Ragha can summon them (but they're complete garbage in a fight without gear, and that's what most seduction attempts result in). Any Blood nation can get Succubi, too.

Patala has a load of cool summons and some forest recruitment, I reckon they're alright.

Interestingly enough, Ragha actually has two summonable non-uniques with dream seduction. Jahi are indeed complete trash ungeared, though they are spies too if you just want to use them for that, but Pairikas, among several other paths they have, possess Blood 3. They'll murder the poo poo out of most things that get sucked into an assassination battle with them as long as you send along some slaves as well. Admittedly you might very well have far better things to do with them, but it IS an option.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

Interestingly enough, Ragha actually has two summonable non-uniques with dream seduction. Jahi are indeed complete trash ungeared, though they are spies too if you just want to use them for that, but Pairikas, among several other paths they have, possess Blood 3. They'll murder the poo poo out of most things that get sucked into an assassination battle with them as long as you send along some slaves as well. Admittedly you might very well have far better things to do with them, but it IS an option.
To be fair I think Bogarus has about eight or something and all except the Sirin have handy magic.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
What nation has the most powerful sacred troops? And which nation has the best recruit anywhere sacreds? Also if I'm playing LA Pan and trying to set up a communion to cast like an air 3 spell how is it done? Do the slaves need to have the same paths or does each slave just increase the masters paths by one each?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Washout posted:

What nation has the most powerful sacred troops? And which nation has the best recruit anywhere sacreds? Also if I'm playing LA Pan and trying to set up a communion to cast like an air 3 spell how is it done? Do the slaves need to have the same paths or does each slave just increase the masters paths by one each?

EA Vanheim, EA Mictlan (though LA has the same ones, they aren't as good in that era), you have a guy with at least one air rank cast communion master and then enough other guys to cast communion slave that boosts the master up enough to cast the spell(s) you want to cast. so if the master is a1 then you need four slaves ( formula: log2(n) = rounded down path boost). the slaves don't need the paths, but that helps with fatigue.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

What nation has the most powerful sacred troops?
Irrespective of cost or actual feasibility to mass, probably MA Ashdod's, since they're high MR giants with pretty good attack density and magic weapons, and good armour, plus they ignore heat auras and most fire damage even without buffs.

EA Vanheim's Vanhere are relatively easy to mass and very powerful. They're also invisible on the strat map and can pop up pretty much anywhere since they're quite stealthy.

Bandar Log and Patala probably have the best summonable sacreds in the game, since they have the very solid Kailasan divine summons which tend to be pretty resilient, and the Lankan summons which are cost-effective and often have nasty stuff like life draining weapons or damage reversal.

quote:

And which nation has the best recruit anywhere sacreds?
MA Mictlan, maybe? Eagle Warriors are pretty good. Never been a huge fan of jaguar warriors since they tend to cost just a little bit too much relative to how good your bless/economy is on EA/LA Mictlan.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 8, 2016

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
LA Ragha's Zhayedans are actually the best sacreds. They're like flying Anakites.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

V A N H E R E. They cost 30g apiece and can beat more than 5x their gold value in enemies depending on enemies and bless applied.

Also they are loving invisible.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 8, 2016

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
So I've just eaten a faceful of longdead horseman as Nazca. What's a good counter for that? I'm clearly not going to outspam Sceleria in undead chaff. As I see it, I have a few options

Rush Thaum 6 and Wither Bones.

Earthquake

Round up my mage-priest corps and spam Banishment.

Is there a go-to solution for undead chaff spam?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Blow them up in the most cost-effective way available to you. Earthquake will work pretty well since it blows up the entire battlefield.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Blow them up in the most cost-effective way available to you. Earthquake will work pretty well since it blows up the entire battlefield.

Earthquake is the answer. You have lots of flying poo poo and earthquake casters so do this probably. Hopefully you have the income to sustain it cause lategame sceleria will have enough skeletons to require at least 2 earthquakes a turn forever.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I have updated WHOA.DM, fixed some things, nerfed the Missing God, and added three new spells.

WHOA.DM adds Szumogliika, a mod nation, to early age. The post about it was here. You can download WHOA.DM here.

If anything is broken please let me know because otherwise this is the final version of WHOA.DM and it will be used the next time a mod game gets started. ty.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Earthquake is the answer. You have lots of flying poo poo and earthquake casters so do this probably. Hopefully you have the income to sustain it cause lategame sceleria will have enough skeletons to require at least 2 earthquakes a turn forever.

The real issue with this is that Ragha has no native purchaseable casters with E access. So at best he might have his pretender with a decent bit of Earth, otherwise you're relying on getting randoms. Some of their summons have decent E paths, but you're looking at a minimum of Conj 6 and a shitload of pearls to bring them into play - and it's a random selection between several non-unique choices, only one of which has E. Might be easier to just get to Evoc 7 and empower a few Seraphs to E1 to use Rain of Stones instead.

Alternatively, Fire Storm them if you don't have the E gems for empowerment.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

The real issue with this is that Ragha has no native purchaseable casters with E access. So at best he might have his pretender with a decent bit of Earth, otherwise you're relying on getting randoms. Some of their summons have decent E paths, but you're looking at a minimum of Conj 6 and a shitload of pearls to bring them into play - and it's a random selection between several non-unique choices, only one of which has E. Might be easier to just get to Evoc 7 and empower a few Seraphs to E1 to use Rain of Stones instead.

Luckily for him he's Nazca!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Koth posted:

It's Nazca, not Ragha here. Nazca has decent Earth access, though admittedly RoS would be better than EQ if possible.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Luckily for him he's Nazca!

:bang:

Ugh, that's what I get for not bothering to double check and posting right after work.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is there a good searchable wiki anywhere or do I have to rely on the illwinter pdf's?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

How is your Japanese?

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Washout posted:

Is there a good searchable wiki anywhere or do I have to rely on the illwinter pdf's?

Well, if you are just looking for unit/spell/item stats then there is http://git.io/dom4. If you are looking for more general strategy info not sure if there is a good one.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Quick question about Caelum summons: Are daevas or yazads better summons, I could start summoning either soon in a noob game with friends where I'm LA Caelum, but not sure which group of summons are better. I've got reliable access to Astral 2 mages from indies, so I can cast the summon yazatas-spell quite easily.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

It's Nazca, not Ragha here. Nazca has decent Earth access, though admittedly RoS would be better than EQ if possible.

How would I protect my own casters from RoS? Decent chance that they would get squashed by a rock when I cast it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

How would I protect my own casters from RoS? Decent chance that they would get squashed by a rock when I cast it.

you have a fluffer cast body ethereal on them, or luck, or give them a hat that gives them luck or a spell focus

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Seeking arrow is the best spell.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

still killed 100% of enemy ghosts in battle.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Z the IVth posted:

Mistform before you RoS since you are using A mages and all, or Fog Warriors if you have a bunch of mages and other units. Body Ethereal works too though it's not perfect. Or one of the mitigation methods listed. Or Cheat Fate; if you can cram an S mage into the same square, the S mage can Cheat Fate, then the RoS caster drops rocks, with both of them being protected from the rocks by Cheat Fate, repeat as necessary.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Quick question about Caelum summons: Are daevas or yazads better summons, I could start summoning either soon in a noob game with friends where I'm LA Caelum, but not sure which group of summons are better. I've got reliable access to Astral 2 mages from indies, so I can cast the summon yazatas-spell quite easily.
Yazad And The Plastic Population are much easier to mass, and are better defensively (Awe, stonger prot, better elemental resists, HATS). Bit of a fucker to lead, though, since they're magic beings, so it's like 5-10 per commander at most outside of your cap (although you could make a Crown of Command with your S2 indies to help with that at Construction 4).

Daevas are kind of hard to mass since its 15 gems for 3 of them, but stacking fear plus a good charge will rout quite a lot of stuff. Easy to lead, since even a Caretaker can bring 30 along at a time. Chaos power can theoretically make them strictly better in a hand-to-hand fight than Yazata but often makes them worse.

End of the day it's simple enough to get and use both, and they don't need the same kind of gems, so why not use both and see which you like better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could also mix them, since stacked fear auras overlapping with awe units probably works pretty well. They're not the most efficient summons either way, but it'd be pretty cool at least.

• Locked thread