Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

quote:

BACK GOES ON THE LEFT. APP SWITCHER GOES ON THE RIGHT. WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT.

Back on the right is way more natural for right-handed people, when I was using an LG G4 I did this exact swap.

edit: Also jesus christ glad I'm on T-Mobile.

editedit: Also, this article is really loving dumb. These are all stupidly trivial or things you can change anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

It's not about the phone. It's about self respect, and it's nontrivial.

Okay well, if I have to use a Knox device, and I apparently can't use a Samsung without losing my dignity, right to live, etc, what do you propose?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rumor has it that the March update will also address the Nexus 5x's jankiness:

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/03/08/nexus-5x-is-finally-getting-its-jank-fixing-update/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Okay well, if I have to use a Knox device, and I apparently can't use a Samsung without losing my dignity, right to live, etc, what do you propose?

If your employer foists this upon you, that sucks. But I'm not here addressing only you and your particular situation. You appear to have some egocentricity problems. I'm mostly here for the folks who are voluntarily going out bringing this garbage into their lives for no reason other than that they've been misinformed by this thread.

Do not ever purchase a non-Nexus Android device. There are no edge cases, there are no situations where it is preferable. There are no valid deviations. Do not ever purchase a non-Nexus Android device.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Do any of the "battery calibration" tutorials out there actually work? I realize you're not calibrating the battery itself, but the OS's measurement of battery capacity.

Last night my Moto X 2014 instantly dropped from over 20% down to 1%. As a test, I started playing YouTube videos at full brightness to see how long it would last. It went for an hour before dying.

I just did a factory reset a few days ago, which fixed a bunch of small issues I was having, but the battery readings are still wonky.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Smythe posted:

Do not ever purchase a non-Nexus Android device. There are no edge cases, there are no situations where it is preferable. There are no valid deviations. Do not ever purchase a non-Nexus Android device.

Samsung Pay kicks Google Pay's rear end.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Moey posted:

Samsung Pay kicks Google Pay's rear end.

I've been wanting a new phone lately and while the Nexus 6P is a Good Phone running Good Software, Samsung Pay is a compelling enough feature that I might consider buying a Samsung device again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nimper posted:

I've been wanting a new phone lately and while the Nexus 6P is a Good Phone running Good Software, Samsung Pay is a compelling enough feature that I might consider buying a Samsung device again.

Alternatively: just slide your card. (All phone payment systems are dumb)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

What a loving plebian. Who carries a wallet around anymore in TYOOL 2016?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

If I have my phone, I have my wallet so I can't see chanong to phone pay any time in the future either.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does your employer tell you what car you are to drive? Where you will live? When and how you can make love to your wife/husband/bf/gf/bang partner?

You are your own person, Forums Poster CLAM DOWN! You go return that Samsung Garbage Box LQ Edge, and you go buy a 64 Gigabyte Space Grey iPhone 5S and respond to emails when you come back to your desk, as is your birthright.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
What makes Samsung Pay better than Android Pay? I've never used either because I'm afraid of being arrested by the FBI agent behind me for hacking the terminal.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

nimper posted:

You'd think that with Samsung's market share they could afford to tell the carriers to shove it when it comes to this shovelware. They follow Apple's lead on everything else, why not here?

I'm not so sure you might be over estimating Samsungs position. It's an agreement for every OEM that's not a Nexus or iPhone that they have to accept all of the bloatware to be allowed in the carrier stores/websites. If they let Samsung off of the hook they'd have to give up all bloatware. Besides Samsung has it's own software/app stores they don't want to give up.

Samsung is big but I think at least some of the US carriers might be willing to walk away from them to keep bloatware if it came down to it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Require More Fire posted:

What makes Samsung Pay better than Android Pay? I've never used either because I'm afraid of being arrested by the FBI agent behind me for hacking the terminal.
Samsung Pay has contactless like Apple and Android Pay, but it can also emulate a magstripe card being swiped, which means it works in the 50 billion old-rear end point of sale terminals across the USA.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uninterrupted posted:

Does your employer tell you what car you are to drive? Where you will live? When and how you can make love to your wife/husband/bf/gf/bang partner?

You are your own person, Forums Poster CLAM DOWN! You go return that Samsung Garbage Box LQ Edge, and you go buy a 64 Gigabyte Space Grey iPhone 5S and respond to emails when you come back to your desk, as is your birthright.

Nice

RZA Encryption posted:

Sliding cards for for neanderthals, chip or tap supremacy

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Is the best way to get the nexus 6p to just look on Amazon/newegg/whatever? It seems like the best android phone at the moment but it's been out a few months and with the galaxy updating I was wondering if there was any way to get a high memory model for less.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Cool. Just in time for Windows to be just slightly above to bar to try one this cycle.

Uninstalling snapchat took me from 40% battery at 3pm to 78% battery at 3pm.

So tired of this poo poo.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 8, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Require More Fire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czcb5dXjlZA

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ilkhan posted:

Cool. Just in time for Windows to be just slightly above to bar to try one this cycle.

Uninstalling snapchat took me from 40% battery at 3pm to 78% battery at 3pm.

So tired of this poo poo.

Is snapchat horribly broken on iOS? It's a laggy crashy poo poo fest for me on any of the Android devices I have.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Syrinxx posted:

Samsung Pay has contactless like Apple and Android Pay, but it can also emulate a magstripe card being swiped, which means it works in the 50 billion old-rear end point of sale terminals across the USA.

And thus, Samsung Pay works for more than, like, two banks

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Daily Forecast posted:

Back on the right is way more natural for right-handed people
I use Back way more than App Switch and constantly having to scrunch my non 5 year old thumb to the bottom right would drive me batty.

I can palm a basketball though so YMMV

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I can palm a basketball though so YMMV

Guess I do have smallish hands; phablets are 2big4me which is why I didn't get the S7 Edge. I'm 6' but I've been told more than once that I have "my mother's hands" (:confused:). On the right, my thumb just has to curl a little bit downwards, but on the left I actually have to stretch to hit app switch, which I use way less than Back.

Just preference I guess (and Nexus phones don't let you switch this either without a custom rom, so it's not really an advantage for them either).

edit: This is also why I'm not interested in a Nexus; 6P is too big and a fragile piece of poo poo and the 5X is just a regular piece of poo poo. Yes, I have owned both.

Do you prioritize hardware? Get a Samsung. Software? Get a Nexus.

That easy.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 9, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

And thus, Samsung Pay works for more than, like, two banks

Until POS terminals turn off the magnetic stripe readers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I know that Google's been talking all about extering MOAR CONTROL!!!!, but if this deal ends up in Nexus devices with weirdo HTC-isms, for three full years, gently caress that.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

Until POS terminals turn off the magnetic stripe readers.

You're joking, right? Do you really think every store in America could get their poo poo together nearly enough to make that a reality?

Barely anyone even has the fuckin' chip readers, magstrip is not getting retired anytime soon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The HTC-built Nexus One was one of the best Nexus phones, so I'm just going to hold out hope for them. I mean, sure, they've built a lot of poo poo recently, but maybe with Google dictating a lot of stuff they can build something great again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The HTC-built Nexus One was one of the best Nexus phones, so I'm just going to hold out hope for them. I mean, sure, they've built a lot of poo poo recently, but maybe with Google dictating a lot of stuff they can build something great again.

The nexus one was incredible. I want modern guts in that case, drop the trackball, micro sd slot, and make the battery non-removeable.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

drop the [...] micro sd slot, and make the battery non-removeable.

:what:

Is there something else about HTC other than the M9 that they particularly failed at? Dunno, never had one. M10 looks pretty cool I guess but eh.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I hope HTC fumbles hard and puts out 3 lovely Nexus phones so I can keep my 6p for more than 14 months because I have no self control

That said, if I could have a Nexus tablet that could wake from sleep, sync my notifications and change its wallpaper (Tapet) in under 2 minutes that'd be a win

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Also, because I forgot about this from earlier in the thread. I know this isn't The Windows Thread but it's semi-related because how are you people getting ads on your poo poo jesus christ

uPen posted:

It pops up in the bottom right with ad links to office 365 if you don't have any office products installed and depending on the manufacturer you have ads for stuff like candy crush in the start menu unless you unpin them.

Nnnnnope. Even before I disabled anything, not one ad, ever. I dunno what you people are doing to get ads in your Windows.

LastInLine posted:

if you use Bing PotD for your lockscreen

Well see that was your mistake, wasn't it?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 9, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Daily Forecast posted:

Also, because I forgot about this from earlier in the thread. I know this isn't The Windows Thread but it's semi-related because how are you people getting ads on your poo poo jesus christ

Nnnnnope. Even before I disabled anything, not one ad, ever. I dunno what you people are doing to get ads in your Windows.

I wonder... are you using a local account instead of a Microsoft account?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

isndl posted:

I wonder... are you using a local account instead of a Microsoft account?

Could be. Who the hell uses a Microsoft account?

Also possible: maybe the difference is that my computer doesn't have a 'manufacturer' because I built it and installed a 'clean' Windows myself? In which case, it's not really Microsoft's fault.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Smythe posted:

Right now, I'm leaning back in my computer chair letting these huge tsunamis of vindication wash over me.

Not gonna lie, I'm getting a real childish sense of schadenfreude right now.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I hope HTC fumbles hard and puts out 3 lovely Nexus phones so I can keep my 6p for more than 14 months because I have no self control

That said, if I could have a Nexus tablet that could wake from sleep, sync my notifications and change its wallpaper (Tapet) in under 2 minutes that'd be a win

I'm hoping they nail it and get acquired. Maybe Google can make a real push for a vertically integrated phone. The cohesiveness is what makes the iphone experience work so well. If Google could actually get serious about replicating that (even bigger marketing push, retail presence, etc.), they wouldn't even need to formally shut out other OEMs.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Daily Forecast posted:

Could be. Who the hell uses a Microsoft account?

Also possible: maybe the difference is that my computer doesn't have a 'manufacturer' because I built it and installed a 'clean' Windows myself? In which case, it's not really Microsoft's fault.

My surface pro 4 sometimes gets Install office 365 notifications on the notification pane on the right. Same with my desktop that I built which has an upgrade install of windows 10 on top of a retail win 8 install. They both are using a Microsoft account so that's probably what causes the notification.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm hoping they nail it and get acquired. Maybe Google can make a real push for a vertically integrated phone. The cohesiveness is what makes the iphone experience work so well. If Google could actually get serious about replicating that (even bigger marketing push, retail presence, etc.), they wouldn't even need to formally shut out other OEMs.

And then google can sell them to Lenovo.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

havenwaters posted:

They both are using a Microsoft account so that's probably what causes the notification.

Fair enough. Simple solution: don't use a Microsoft account. I'm not even sure what the actual advantages are.

DuckConference posted:

And then google can sell them to Lenovo.

:sigh: Maybe if Moto had made the 5X, it wouldn't have been so terrible.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Think the only "advantage" is that you can sync with onedrive and you're forced to use a password when you log in to windows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

HTC of 2010 is not the HTC of 2016.

Not going to touch another HTC Nexus device after the dumpster fire that is the Nexus 9.

We also had someone on this very forum who had professional dealings with their hardware depot support that should send anyone screaming away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
After the M9 I cannot believe they hosed up the M10