Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is there any fluffy excuse for a Techpriest to specialize in combat while not being a skitarii or anything? Just, a member technoarcheological dig whose main talents involve chainswording things?

Also, is there some way to sell things in DH 2.0? Or trade things in in return for other things?

combat data collection/field testing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is there any fluffy excuse for a Techpriest to specialize in combat while not being a skitarii or anything? Just, a member technoarcheological dig whose main talents involve chainswording things?

Also, is there some way to sell things in DH 2.0? Or trade things in in return for other things?

you can trade in items for items of lesser rarity, and get a bonus on your req roll. it's in the requisition part of the rulebook.

so if you've got a -20 Rare item and you're gunning for a -10 Scarce one, you can trade it in and get a +10 bonus to the influence test. fail, no problem, keep your original item. succeed, it goes.

you don't handle money though. you're above that. you trade in Influence.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war."

maybe that technoarcheological dig (or a past one) was on a death world infested with space-R.O.U.S. so the last half-decade has basically been an extended crash course in chainsawing things for fun and the advancement of the Quest For Knowledge

expedience, circumstance, and personal interest are all perfectly valid excuses for being good at fighting, especially for someone who has been dragooned or seconded to an ad-hoc inquisitorial kill team

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 8, 2016

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

GruntyThrst posted:

Our Rogue Trader group has a sort of mercantile theme when it comes to our assets (EG the flagship Silkworm, other ships The Unappreciated Deal and The Golden Egg) so what did we decide to call our first personal IG batallion?

Why, the Spice Marines of course :haw:

The all-girl batallion from an agricultural hive world who beat their plowshares into chainswords and are so fanatical they fight to the death every time.

Led by Cinnamon Spice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Combat Hacker, gotta get access to the enemy data node before they can destroy it/move it! You only have 8 turns to get there and hack it.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I have a heretek in a game that focuses on forging melee (daemon) weapons. He also has a high WS because he has to be able to test the weapons before giving them to some angry rear end Chaos marine. You could do the same thing, like a tech priest weapon smith who has to be really good at sniping stuff so he can test and calibrate weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Magos Biologis studying alien anatomy. The aliens tend to object to their on-the-spot vivisection, so high WS required.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 9, 2016

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Nobody should be surprised by a techpriest being a combat monster unless you also totally neglect your intelligence skills. The AdMech go to really hosed up places where they might find ancient horrors at any time, so it's not shocking that they're ready to defend themselves.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

GruntyThrst posted:

Why, the Spice Marines of course :haw:

This is cool and good.

Also, Techpriests carry around a power axe as part of their daily routine, so that's no problem.

I just wish that someone (or a few someones) would sit down and hammer out a good complex structure of both vertical and horizontal organisation of AdMech. Is tech priest a rank or a type? Are electro priests tech priests or something else? Who answers to who?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Imperium is so vast and its organisation so labyrinthine that basically any organisational structure you care to describe is true somewhere.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Adeptus Mechanicus would probably kill anyone who would try to do a clear organizational chart of the Adeptus Mechanicus. In the simplest terms it is something like adepts -> enginseers -> tech priests -> magos/explorator -> arch magos -> whatever was the title of the tech priest dude that was part of the High Lords of Terra. But stuff like seniority matters, what the tech priest in question has specialized in and so on. It seems somewhat deliberately opaque, which would fit into how the Adeptus Mechanicus closely guards its secrets.

edit: then there are of course all sorts of special roles for people inside the Mechanicum, like Factors, Ad Mech diplomats, then there are people whose responsibility is to create machine hounds that Arbites use etc. Like everything involved in the Imperium, how Adeptus Mechanicum organizes itself probably varies a lot in different parts of the galaxy, even if they follow a general guideline.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 9, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, the M32 is an ultraviolent circus that in many ways hearken to our own brutal middle ages. It's not a stretch to say that many AdMech even in administrative positions are hard fellows, because, face it, otherwise they'd have gotten their skull caved in with a cog prognosticator during their apprenticeship.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Adeptus Mechanicus would probably kill anyone who would try to do a clear organizational chart of the Adeptus Mechanicus. In the simplest terms it is something like adepts -> enginseers -> tech priests -> magos/explorator -> arch magos -> whatever was the title of the tech priest dude that was part of the High Lords of Terra.

Fabricator General of Mars.
:goonsay:

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 9, 2016

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Here's a good writeup of various AdMech ranks and departments. Don't take it as gospel but it should give you some ideas.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/adeptusmechanicus/index.php?showtopic=108

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, the AdMech has it's own men at arms. Take a look at Crimson Exemplars out of Only War - Shield of Humanity for inspiration. You could play a DH2 character up in that style, just handwave it as you wanting to recover lost tech relics in wildly violent fashion should the need arise.

Just make the character as Forge World -> Adeptus Mechanicus -> Warrior and you've got a pretty good aptitude set to make that sort of character work.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Hell, you could make some sort of tech-assassin that has been given over to the Inquisition for reasons, that's what my last DH2 character was basically. I mean, most Imperial organizations want to have people killed occasionally, and even stuff like the Administratum probably has its own experts in violence. 40k universe is a violent one, and every single faction in the galaxy knows it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Remember, it doesn't matter who finds the archeotech first, just who gets back home with it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The administratum has the actual imperial assassins to kill people.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Administratum also has the ultimate anti-Rogue Trader agents: tax auditors.

They can freeze assets anywhere in the galaxy, can access all records, commandeer basically anything, and nobody dares interfere with them. Rogue Traders have a lot of leeway, but if the Administratum thinks that you're avoiding paying your taxes they will absolutely destroy you.

They're a boss-enemy in one of the Rogue Trader books.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

wiegieman posted:

The administratum has ork snipers to kill people.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

:golfclap:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I imagine a lot of admech go through the IG-support phase of their career, and it just involves a significant amount of learning how to kill the people who are making your welding hand wobble.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

goatface posted:

I imagine a lot of admech go through the IG-support phase of their career, and it just involves a significant amount of learning how to kill the people who are making your welding hand wobble.

Yeah I always think back to the engineseer for the Guard in Dawn of War One. He was rather meaty in his own right, especially for a builder unit.

Basically no one is going to question if your ad mech is good at killing.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Werix posted:

Basically no one is going to question if your ad mech is good at killing.

And if anyone does question it, kill them.

Pattern recognition should sort the problem out quickly.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
You know they only thing they could pin on Horus was tax evasion

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Now I want to fight Imperium Sovereign Citizens.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
"That Aquilla only has six talons"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

They're called Alpha Legion.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ronwayne posted:

"That Aquilla only has six talons"

Your Inquisitorial Rosette has gold fringes on it. That means you only have naval authority. I committed heresy on a planet, not in a starship, you have no jurisdiction over me or my Chaos worshipping!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Your Inquisitorial Rosette has gold fringes on it. That means you only have naval authority. I committed heresy on a planet, not in a starship, you have no jurisdiction over me or my Chaos worshipping!

*Inquisitor rolls eyes, goes back to the fleet in orbit and has the planet exploded*

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Daemon: "No I will not give you my true name!"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Mortes et Tributes

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Daemon: "No I will not give you my true name!"

"I like, totally didn't choose to be an imperial citizen maaaaan. Why should I have to live by their rules? Wait, what are you doing with that stun baton?"

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

DeathSandwich posted:

"I like, totally didn't choose to be an imperial citizen maaaaan. Why should I have to live by their rules? Wait, what are you doing with that stun baton inferno pistol?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like to imagine Imperial Sovereign Citizens get turned into arco-flagellants

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Azhais posted:

I like to imagine Imperial Sovereign Citizens get turned into arco-flagellants

His activation AND frenzy words are "legal joinder"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So basically most of the Underhive gangers you can find on most Imperial Planets? Completely high off paint fumes and running around with more guns than they could possibly use.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

*Inquisitor rolls eyes, goes back to the fleet in orbit and has the planet exploded*

Somehow, I really like the image of an inquisitor being sick of this poo poo

I image you root out latent psykers among the Arbites by getting a sovereign citizen stand near a precinct and waiting till someone comes out to beat him.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What bionic implants actually give you the distinctive Mechanicus look? I assume the bionic eyes is just auger array/choosing lenses in your cosmetic eye choice, but where do you get the grill-mouth or the cthulhu wires? Is the grill a default feature of the Mechanicus Upgrades? Do I have a mouth or not?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Grille Mouth is probably from the Respirator Unit which I assume all techpriests get, gives +20 to resist all airborne toxins. It might be the obvious metal face or it could also be subtle and internally fitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

DH2 Tech-Priests no longer get that as a basic thing, the Mechanicus Implants trait was changed - its mostly fluff and prerequirement for talents now, and they removed the Respirator Unit or whatever it was called. Now every single Ad Mech PC does not have to have a grille mouth.

edit: and you can play other Mechanicus personnel besides some variety of Tech-Priest, stuff like Skitariis, Factors etc.
edit2: though I think a Factor is still technically a Tech-Priest but whatever

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 12, 2016