Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Trumpler Syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
He'd make the Martians pay for it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russias-kirov-class-battlecruiser-fleet-is-expanding-an-1763392754

The article itself is interesting enough, but at the bottom is a picture of what should come up at the number one hit on Google Image Search when you type in 'Russian Cat': https://twitter.com/MarinaGeorgitsa/status/702087102440284160/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

We cannot allow a ship's cat gap!

Seriously, though, do USN ships still carry a cat? And if so, do they dress it up in little sailor suits?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
A ship's cat in a little sailor suit would lead to a dangerous outbreak of morale and cheer and so is strictly prohibited.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The ships cat from the Bismark was adopted by the Royal Navy.

The next two British ships the cat was on were sunk by the Germans.

Cat wanted payback I guess.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
From a while back, but I was going through this list of air to air kills in Gulf War 1 http://www.rjlee.org/air/ds-aakill/By%20Weapon/

Feb 2 1991 an F-15c strafed an Il-76 on an airstrip and was credited with an air to air kill. Is this a thing? Does it count as an air to air kill as long as it is an aircraft regardless as to whether it's flying or not? Or does it just not matter, a kill is a kill?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

To be fair, that cat looks like he doesn't like cats either.

Also more ships need cats or dogs or goats or whatever.

The USS Winston S. Churchill keeps a pet Brit.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure the idea of the shuttle wasn't always "steal this satellite" and was more along the lines of "jump up to this satellite and modify/destroy it".

Ideally, you'd be in and out without them noticing you did something.

Munnin The Crab posted:

From a while back, but I was going through this list of air to air kills in Gulf War 1 http://www.rjlee.org/air/ds-aakill/By%20Weapon/

Feb 2 1991 an F-15c strafed an Il-76 on an airstrip and was credited with an air to air kill. Is this a thing? Does it count as an air to air kill as long as it is an aircraft regardless as to whether it's flying or not? Or does it just not matter, a kill is a kill?

IIRC the Il-76 was near the end of takeoff

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

On a more serious note, is there a publicly available write up of the USAF's satellite borrowing plan anywhere? I just can't make sense of it.

I kind of love the idea that the shuttle would rendezvous with the satellite to be nabbed, grab it, land it, mate to a new set of SRBs and tank and then launch without anyone noticing and do all this within the counting clock of a normal orbital cycle (90 minutes max? Much less when you get into radar and observatory coverage). The best part is that even though the idea is utterly idiotic at first glance it was a major driver of requirements.

edit: ^^^ I think you are missing the point that it was the cross range capability driving requirements that were the problem, not any potential rendezvous itself.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 8, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Basically the Space Shuttle requirements are based on the following flight plan:

Pop up into a polar orbit. Screw getting a boost from the planet's rotation, we've got delta-v for that.
Circularize.
You know the claw game in arcades? Play a round of that in space. Stuff it in a big box. Or maybe just do some maintenance, void a warranty or two, who knows!
Deorbit burn.
Hit atmosphere and oh gently caress the planet's been turning and we need to catch up with only our wings, the atmosphere and a lot of energy.

Not pictured: A complete orbit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VikingSkull posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea of the shuttle wasn't always "steal this satellite" and was more along the lines of "jump up to this satellite and modify/destroy it".

Part of the requirement was definitely to capture and bring it inside the bay.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Munnin The Crab posted:

Per that history of post-Vietnam kills book referenced earlier, this may be two incidents conflated. One of the pilots talks about finding an IL-76 AWACs like aircraft (maybe not a Mainstay, maybe homebrew) on an airfield and being directed to strafe it. They then found some regular IL-76s nearby and strafed them, getting in trouble.

A different pilot had a legitimate shoot-down of an IL-76 flying to Iran.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

winnydpu posted:

Per that history of post-Vietnam kills book referenced earlier, this may be two incidents conflated. One of the pilots talks about finding an IL-76 AWACs like aircraft (maybe not a Mainstay, maybe homebrew) on an airfield and being directed to strafe it. They then found some regular IL-76s nearby and strafed them, getting in trouble.

A different pilot had a legitimate shoot-down of an IL-76 flying to Iran.

Iraq didn't get the Mainstay, they built their own (nicknamed Baghdad-1 and Baghdad-2, IIRC.)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So naturally I've been reading now about the Kirov's, and goddamn those are monsters. They displace about what a late-WWI/interwar battleship/battlecruiser displaced, but without the massive amount of armor and heavy guns. That is a whole lot of goddamn ship. It'd be quite a sight to see the USN/NATO go after one of those full-bore.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

So naturally I've been reading now about the Kirov's, and goddamn those are monsters. They displace about what a late-WWI/interwar battleship/battlecruiser displaced, but without the massive amount of armor and heavy guns. That is a whole lot of goddamn ship. It'd be quite a sight to see the USN/NATO go after one of those full-bore.

Got any good links? I'm making a model :spergin:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

bewbies posted:

I fuckin sank the poo poo outta that thing in Red Storm Rising and Harpoon. :pirate:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also: It's international Women's day, but the Russian government has decreed everything be militarized.

The solution, welp...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bewbies posted:

That's what fast-attacks are for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also: It's international Women's day, but the Russian government has decreed everything be militarized.

The solution, welp...

Why do I feel like we're going to be marching on Moscow in Oct 2017?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The solution, welp...

I don't see the problem.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

I fuckin sank the poo poo outta that thing in Red Storm Rising and Harpoon. :pirate:

Strangely it may have been easier in reality than it was in those games. The Kirov's lowest altitude SAM coverage would have been the SA-N-6, which aside from being a less than idea short range missile had a minimum engagement altitude of over 25m. The other options were much worse than that so the SAM systems were actually pretty useless for that kind of threat. The old CIWS, meanwhile, had problems with picking out low altitude targets and actually shooting things down until it was replaced in the early 90s.

I remember in Harpoon they were a bitch to sink because you had all the different SAM systems that'd just salvo missiles at everything you shot at them with. NATO's focus on sea skimmers made a lot more sense after I found out about the above gaps in capability.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 8, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MrYenko posted:

That's what fast-attacks are for.

Yeah, like those things haven't had a Los Angeles Class trailing behind them every time they've left port.

e: VVV Yeah, but what if we put NUCLEAR LASERs on the Iowa?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 8, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Got any good links? I'm making a model :spergin:

You know perfectly well this is what everyone has been wondering about.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh god. This may be the joke but isn't this like pitting a Tiger II against a Abrams?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh god. This may be the joke but isn't this like pitting a Tiger II against a Abrams?

Only if Reagan had outfitted the Tiger II with missiles in the 80s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

It is exactly that.

An Iowa, even with Tomahawks, wouldn't stand a goddamned chance against a Kirov unless it had a decent AAW screen and/or got teleported into 16-inch range of the Russian ship. Inside 16-inch range the Iowa will be able to shell the poo poo out of the Kirov for a few minutes until the missiles hit, in which case the best outcome is mutual annihilation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well modern fights like that are silly because if the standard is which will beat the other its that they'll both be blown to smithereens when they both launch missiles as fast as possible and the point defense systems don't work 100% as advertised.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

So, those microdrone discussions we've looped back to a couple times now?

Turns out the US is working on them

Apologies if it's been posted already, admittedly terrible video in the link.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean in an all-up 1980s World War III you could probably find a way to kill a Kirov with an Iowa. Knock out the Kirov's sensors and missile launchers with an airstrike and then send in an Iowa to put her down with gunfire, but that's a solution looking for a problem because if the Kirov is crippled already just sending another airstrike in would be way more sensible.

Hell, this basic scenario already happened in 1945 when Spruance had a SAG standing by to sink the Yamato if his airstrikes didn't do the job. They did.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I mean in an all-up 1980s World War III you could probably find a way to kill a Kirov with an Iowa.

This documentary is all the proof I need

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

So, those microdrone discussions we've looped back to a couple times now?

Turns out the US is working on them

Apologies if it's been posted already, admittedly terrible video in the link.

I think we all know where they got that idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqgphpiO0L8

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Someone in this thread was asking about Russian intervention if North Korea used nukes, so I thought this might be of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/08/russia-warns-north-korea-nuclear-strike

When even the "little green men" are telling you to step the gently caress down, it's prooooobably a good idea to listen...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kesper North posted:

Someone in this thread was asking about Russian intervention if North Korea used nukes, so I thought this might be of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/08/russia-warns-north-korea-nuclear-strike

When even the "little green men" are telling you to step the gently caress down, it's prooooobably a good idea to listen...

Interesting. "We're with you on the fundamental issues but you are stepping way over the line" is not something I'd expect Russia to say. Also laffo at that sidebar, "the pariah alliance"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It is exactly that.

An Iowa, even with Tomahawks, wouldn't stand a goddamned chance against a Kirov unless it had a decent AAW screen and/or got teleported into 16-inch range of the Russian ship. Inside 16-inch range the Iowa will be able to shell the poo poo out of the Kirov for a few minutes until the missiles hit, in which case the best outcome is mutual annihilation.

But Iowa's armor will surely be able to withstand direct, repeated hits of one ton warheads traveling at supersonic speeds!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

Part of the requirement was definitely to capture and bring it inside the bay.

Oh, I know, I'm just saying that the mission profiles that make the most sense in the real world resembled drive-bys, most likely.

I'd imagine NSA Wizard would frown on this

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nebakenezzer posted:

"the pariah alliance"

"The parlliance"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Kesper North posted:

while you guys are on this again, NK has claimed (not for the first time, mind) to have miniaturized their nukes to the point they could put them in a missile- this time though, with pictures:

https://www.nknews.org/2016/03/n-korea-publishes-pictures-of-miniaturized-nuclear-weapon/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I have no idea what a miniaturized warhead looks like, and whether this disco ball thing is a hilarious misstep by them à la that Iranian stealth fighter from a few years back or if it's actually deeply concerning; can anyone shed some light?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's a loving cartoon bomb, complete with fuse

what the gently caress do you think

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Koramei posted:

while you guys are on this again, NK has claimed (not for the first time, mind) to have miniaturized their nukes to the point they could put them in a missile- this time though, with pictures:

https://www.nknews.org/2016/03/n-korea-publishes-pictures-of-miniaturized-nuclear-weapon/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I have no idea what a miniaturized warhead looks like, and whether this disco ball thing is a hilarious misstep by them à la that Iranian stealth fighter from a few years back or if it's actually deeply concerning; can anyone shed some light?

Unless they show it next to a pile of enriched uranium big enough to fill that sphere, that's about as threatening as a rolled up newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ArchangeI posted:

But Iowa's armor will surely be able to withstand direct, repeated hits of one ton warheads traveling at supersonic speeds!
While this may be :thejoke:, I thought it was designed to do just that. Won't be enough to deal with 20 7,000 pound Granit missiles, but still.