Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

patentmagus posted:

What else are you going to do with your life? Watch TV?

I reread that with the voice of a cranky old past master saying it, that cheered me up a lot. You're 100% right, time to visit the lodge. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
After moving to another state, I've been pretty turned off to local masonry(though miss my mother lodge greatly). I felt mistreated. Despite being called out for it, I never got an apology and in fact felt outcast...so I guess I'll stick to my lack of masonry when I am not at my mother lodge. It sorta sucks :(

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

DogsCantBudget posted:

After moving to another state, I've been pretty turned off to local masonry(though miss my mother lodge greatly). I felt mistreated. Despite being called out for it, I never got an apology and in fact felt outcast...so I guess I'll stick to my lack of masonry when I am not at my mother lodge. It sorta sucks :(

Care to provide some more context?

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Care to provide some more context?

I misplaced my dues card, but had a signed letter from my mother GL stating that I was a brother in good standing. My mail person sucks so it took nearly 3 weeks to get my dues card to me. In that three week period, this other lodge had already decided to ask me to leave a stated meeting because they "couldn't prove" I was a brother. This happened AFTER I had already shown up to other lodge events, and even contributed to the lodge by helping them cook, etc.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

DogsCantBudget posted:

I misplaced my dues card, but had a signed letter from my mother GL stating that I was a brother in good standing. My mail person sucks so it took nearly 3 weeks to get my dues card to me. In that three week period, this other lodge had already decided to ask me to leave a stated meeting because they "couldn't prove" I was a brother. This happened AFTER I had already shown up to other lodge events, and even contributed to the lodge by helping them cook, etc.

That is awful.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Holy cow.

We had a Brother from Texas show up relatively out of the blue last week and I was able to get the California GL and Texas GL on the phone to verify he was in good standing.

No fuss, no muss, aside from a few hurriedly-dialed phones.

That's just awful.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Jesus, around here we just ask the questions, ask a few false ones (I introduced a couple based on the exposures floating about online, which aren't accurate to our Grand Lodge though if an American gives them we'll probably accept it), and make sure they can make the signs accurately. We prefer travelling certificates but without and without a mason to introduce you, we'll still let you in because this is a brotherhood and if you can show us you're a brother, we cannot turn you away.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

FreshFeesh posted:

Holy cow.

We had a Brother from Texas show up relatively out of the blue last week and I was able to get the California GL and Texas GL on the phone to verify he was in good standing.

No fuss, no muss, aside from a few hurriedly-dialed phones.

That's just awful.

Funny you say that, but this happened in TX. I know that personally if I had someone come up to me claiming to be a brother, I too would ask minimal questions before trusting that he wasn't lying.

In fact, my next door neighbor had *invited* me to this lodge as he was going through his degrees and had seen a sticker from my mother GL on my car. I mean, yes I could have moved 2000 miles to long-con a guy I had never met before about his goat related secrets, but is that really worth the effort?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
In better news, I'm told I delivered a perfect EA Catechism tonight. It's a really great feeling, being given such emphatic compliments from men I respect and admire. It really cements for me the fact that I've fallen in to a great group.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

It finally happened--my lodge is seeing an incredible amount of personal drama boil over into procedural things. I don't want to divulge a whole lot of details, but please take my advice and play things close to the chest when it comes to working with other brothers to improve your lodge's ritual. Some (group-level) light criticism has turned into petitions to the GL of my jurisdiction to potentially remove our lodge's dispensation...it has 0 chance of happening, but it's a disheartening process to be going through.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Had a wonderful day this past Saturday. We conferred two 3rd degrees, and since our WM and SW weren't able to make it, I (as JW) got to open and close the lodge. I got a grand total of 36 hours notice that I'd be doing that, AND was told that ~100 people including a Past Provincial Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England would be there. To say that I was nervous would be a hell of an understatement.

One of the guys we raised was initiated in England, but got his 2nd and 3rd degrees at our lodge. His uncle was a PPGM of the UGLE, so he flew in to be with us. Even though I was nervous, it was an amazing day. Did the whole second section in costume, had the Grand Lecturer give the lecture which was beat-perfect... such a great day.

Days like that are the reason I still love being a Freemason.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Yesterday we initiated two candidates and re-admitted an EA who left lodge due to personal life issues. With the two EA's we already had, it is really busy up North.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Did LoI last night and really enjoyed it, am loving getting involved and meeting people and excited to take the second degree and then go further. Been learning a lot of history, got to see a play, and have been enjoying working on the cipher. Had a really nice conversation with a guy who does the Scottish Rite stuff about whether or not Football would be an effective backdrop for a morality play. :v:

Also, apparently Catholics can't be masons? (though that restriction isn't from the masonic side)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2016

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, apparently Catholics can't be masons? (though that restriction isn't from the masonic side)

This, from my understanding, is correct. One of the Popes made it an ex communicable offense years ago, and it hasn't since been changed. Though, I'm sure its not something the Catholic Church is still actively enforcing.

From what I understand, the Knights of Columbus, an organization my Catholic father is a part of, was formed as a result.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
We actually have a few Brothers (including Past Masters) who are higher ups in the local Knights of Columbus. Apparently the local Bishop's stance is "just don't talk about it."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I keep meaning to write the current Pope about it. He seems like our best shot at getting that bull overturned.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Loomer posted:

I keep meaning to write the current Pope about it. He seems like our best shot at getting that bull overturned.

Maybe write our GM's for stuff like this? Unless of course you are an active RC yourself and feel you can send a letter to your boss.
Anyway, nobody I know is a RC and wanted to join FM's but didnt as a result of some past pope being an idiot. But this could also be because I know very few RC's to begin with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The American Catholic tradition also seems to be a lot more Rome-independent than much of the rest of the world, and I've not seen much evidence the American branch of the church gives a drat.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
We initiated two new brothers tonight at our lodge! All in all, everything went well.

There was a slight hiccup when one candidate, a young man of 20, upon being asked the big question replied with "My Parents". I'm sure they're proud.

But it will be nice to have a few guys closer to my age at the dinners.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

We initiated two new brothers tonight at our lodge! All in all, everything went well.

There was a slight hiccup when one candidate, a young man of 20, upon being asked the big question replied with "My Parents". I'm sure they're proud.

But it will be nice to have a few guys closer to my age at the dinners.

Haha that's great. Did anyone laugh? I hope not, since I'd hate to see a candidates' dignity harmed..

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Haha that's great. Did anyone laugh? I hope not, since I'd hate to see a candidates' dignity harmed..

Nah, we managed to restrain ourselves. The WM leaned in and gently guided the candidate to the correct answer, and things proceeded smoothly from there.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Nah, we managed to restrain ourselves. The WM leaned in and gently guided the candidate to the correct answer, and things proceeded smoothly from there.

That sounds like one of those endearing stories that gets passed around from time to time, like the one I heard someone in that position said (in the middle of a very hot and un-airconditioned lodge) 'a beer.'

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
After months of him threatening to do so, I've been appointed District Instructor Inspector for the Commandery.

Guess this means I need to bone up on my ritual work!

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
I have a serious question. I'm in craft, Royal arch, and Mark masonry (Australia). Im still relatively young, and find belonging to all three both financially impeding and with a young family - time prohibitive. I think I know the way I will approach my resignation from the latter two (I'm JW in craft), but has anyone else been in this position, and how did you approach it? I'm certain my brethren won't be disappointed, but I've bought people in, and don't want to let them down. Cheers lads

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

I have a serious question. I'm in craft, Royal arch, and Mark masonry (Australia). Im still relatively young, and find belonging to all three both financially impeding and with a young family - time prohibitive. I think I know the way I will approach my resignation from the latter two (I'm JW in craft), but has anyone else been in this position, and how did you approach it? I'm certain my brethren won't be disappointed, but I've bought people in, and don't want to let them down. Cheers lads

I had to do something similar this year, I had to "downsize" my responsibilities where I could by leaving a few groups. Just be upfront and honest about it. They'll appreciate that more than you just not showing up.

In other news, a good friend of mine (also a Mason) made ALL NEW FURNITURE for our lodge room. A fleet of chairs, new columns, a new altar, new pedestals for the officer stations, new stands for the burning tapers, everything.

Here's the altar:

It has a solid stone top with the inscription "ו'אםר אלהים יהי אור ויהי אור" which means "And God said, let there be light, and there was light".

Here are the columns:

Holy poo poo, the picture doesn't do them justice. The chairs are new too, as well as the SW's pedestal.

We were all just wandering around the lodge room with our mouths agape last night. Really brought a new energy into our meeting :)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Gorgeous work.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous. I'm awestruck.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, that's pretty as all hell and I'm envious!

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Brother, you're approaching an adult topic in an adult way and with good masonic judgement. You're putting your life and responsibilities first and foremost, and I don't think anyone would nor could be let down to see the way you've carried out your self-appraisal.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

That altar. I'm going to steal it. Make your time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If anyone is ever in central North Carolina, you're welcome to come visit it :)

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
I figured I would get sound wisdom and support from you guys. I'll have a chat with my proposer (to both) and let him know. It won't be forever, just for a few years.

Btw those furnishings really are very beautiful. He's a fine craftsman!!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

If anyone is ever in central North Carolina, you're welcome to come visit it :)

Hmm, yeah, maybe I should show up again

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Innerguard posted:

Brother, you're approaching an adult topic in an adult way and with good masonic judgement. You're putting your life and responsibilities first and foremost, and I don't think anyone would nor could be let down to see the way you've carried out your self-appraisal.

As a non-Mason who reads this thread mostly for the jokes about the goat, I agree. Any organization that would think ill of you for taking time off for family's sake (this extends to employers and the bowling team) is not a club you'd want to associate with anyway. You're doing the right thing, your brothers will understand if they're half-decent human beings (which I'm pretty sure is a prerequisite to joining, isn't it?).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 6, 2016

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
That alter and those pillars are wonderful. Little jealous!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
what the hell just happened in GL-CA?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Cimber posted:

what the hell just happened in GL-CA?

The CA GL just released a statement saying that we are inclusive of every man, including when it comes to sexual orientation (contrary to a few other Grand Lodges); is that what you're talking about?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FreshFeesh posted:

The CA GL just released a statement saying that we are inclusive of every man, including when it comes to sexual orientation (contrary to a few other Grand Lodges); is that what you're talking about?

For those of us who aren't in tune with that neck of the world, can you throw up the statement link please, if possible?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Innerguard posted:

For those of us who aren't in tune with that neck of the world, can you throw up the statement link please, if possible?

http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2016/03/gl-of-california-breaks-with-georgia.html
http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2016/03/gl-of-dc-suspends-relations-with-ga-and.html

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Innerguard posted:

Particularly here's the original missive which we read in Lodge this month here in California:

quote:

Dear Brethren:

You might have read about recent events in some US states including Georgia and Tennessee where Masonic grand lodges have adopted new rules or have enforced existing rules that discipline Masons because of their sexual orientation. Such rules and actions do not coincide with the principles of Freemasonry as practiced by the Grand Lodge of California and do not support what we understand as the great aim of our fraternity.

Freemasonry is a universal system which uses the tools and techniques of the old stonemasons’ guilds to illustrate simple moral and ethical principles. To this it adds a philosophical and spiritual framework for personal improvement. Freemasonry encourages its members to be better by improving their relationships with others, by practicing a life of tolerance, compassion, honesty, and the pursuit of justice. Freemasonry instructs its members to uphold and respect the laws of their government and not to undermine those laws. It attempts to make the world a better place by making its members better citizens of the communities in which they live.

Freemasonry may be found worldwide, in the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. Freemasonry works through local lodges. In California and elsewhere, some lodges are comprised of men only, some of women only and some of both men and women. Each lodge typically operates under a grand lodge, and there are a number of these grand lodges operating in California. Each grand lodge is independent and operates under its own set of rules as its members may decide.

With more than 50,000 members statewide, those lodges under the Grand Lodge of California are open to men of good character and faith, regardless of their race, color, religious beliefs, political views, economic station, sexual orientation, physical ability, citizenship or national origin. Our lodges currently work in English, Spanish, French, and Armenian.

Through this universal brotherhood, California Masons learn to be better husbands, better fathers, better friends, and better citizens. By appreciating our differences, we learn to focus on what unites us. Thus, the discussion of religion, politics, and business is not permitted in our lodges. In this way we live up to the centuries-old aim of our fraternity – to unite men of every country, sect, and opinion and cause true friendship among those who otherwise would have remained at a distance.

Sincerely and fraternally,
M. David Perry
Grand Master

And wow, I just received the following message today, to be read at the next Stated Meeting:

quote:

March 8, 2016

Dear Brethren:

This morning I suspended recognition with the Grand Lodges of Tennessee and Georgia as a result of their recent actions, which I explained to you in a letter last week.

Attached are the specific Edicts concerning this action and an explanation of how this action affects our lodges and our members:

March 8, 2016 Grand Master’s Edict regarding Georgia

March 8, 2016 Grand Master’s Edict regarding Tennessee

Masonic Communication with Georgia and Tennessee Masons

Please read this correspondence at your next Stated Meeting.

Sincerely and fraternally,

M. David Perry
Grand Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It pleases me to see the GL of California acting like decent human beings. I hope that either the GLs of GA and TN mend their ways, though if they refuse to do so we could have a lovely schism on our hands again. It does somewhat baffle me that the GL of CA spoke of co-masonry as more-or-less legitimate though.