Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009

widespread posted:

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something here. Day 4 in the first spring of the first year and all I have so far is 14 turnip plants, two mixed seed plants, and an assortment of other poo poo. Plus the two quests at the start, which I assume the first one isn't done until I actually unlock some stuff.

Other than that, anything I'm missing besides a turnip plant I accidentally dug up prematurely? Only got about 650 Gold so far.

I started fairly slow with just a handful of mixed plants. By summer you should have much more although for me I didn't really start growing things on a huge scale until the following spring - I spent winter mining and crafting in preparation.

For some quick easy money you can gather 300 (I think?) wood and rebuild the little bridge on the beach. Sea urchins and things wash up there and you can sell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Orgophlax posted:

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere: How long does a preserves jar take?

2 days, I think.

edit: nope. http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Artisan_Goods#Preserves_Jar

80 hours for pickles, unknown for jelly

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is Abigail's 10 heart event bugged? I'm entering the mine after 5 and it isn't triggering.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

bobthedinosaur posted:

This game is the best thing to happen while I'm taking sick days.

Absolutely agree. It's been nice to have a really fun game to play while I'm stuck at home.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

First Spring is a slow start. Just trust in potatoes and pool money for summer.

So I should get that bean thing from the mart, yes?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I just got Clint's 2-heart scene.

Holy poo poo he's :goonsay: incarnate.

Emily's 5 heart scene is amazing.

Edit: Or maybe it was the 2 heart event. I'm not sure anymore, but it is great.

dioxazine fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 9, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i think they all look the same, buddy...

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Elliott is gifted with incredible handsomeness and a highly discerning eye. :colbert:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

widespread posted:

So I should get that bean thing from the mart, yes?

Green beans? Grow one so you can donate it to the community center once you get access to it (the game will hold your hand through the building when you have access to it). Otherwise grow potatoes and make sure your last batch matures before the end of the season. Take the money you get from this and invest in blueberries once it turns to Summer.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Green beans? Grow one so you can donate it to the community center once you get access to it (the game will hold your hand through the building when you have access to it). Otherwise grow potatoes and make sure your last batch matures before the end of the season. Take the money you get from this and invest in blueberries once it turns to Summer.

Yeah, the one that costed 75 gold. Bought one anyway. Gonna try for fishing to start my fundings up just a bit to prepare for potato farming.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chump Farts posted:

Is Abigail's 10 heart event bugged? I'm entering the mine after 5 and it isn't triggering.

Yeah, it is. If you can figure out the event number for it you might be able to delete the value from your save file and then it should trigger properly, but good luck with that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cheese Pain posted:

Thank goodness. I didn't know that!

Quick twofold warning.

If you gift ANY of the romanceables after marriage, your partner will freak out about it/you gifting people behind their back. If you want to get the romanceables up, you should probably do it before marriage.

If any romanceables are at 8 hearts before you do the friendship board/finish the community center, doing both of those tasks will bring them to 10 hearts even without a bouquet. This'll trigger their 10 heart events. However you don't really need to worry, as every 10 heart event I've seen so far has given me a "Hey.....I don't really feel the same way." response before the kiss, so you aren't really doing anything.

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.

Bad Seafood posted:

In good mod news I am pleased to announce that installing the meowth mod does not appear to crash your game - if anyone other than me was worried about that.

I was, actually! Scuse me while I slap that on my copy!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, it is. If you can figure out the event number for it you might be able to delete the value from your save file and then it should trigger properly, but good luck with that.

According to the developer, the event number is 6. So look in the save file for eventsSeen and delete <int>6</int>. If you have the same problem with Leah (who apparently also often gets stuck), you nuke <int>54</int> instead.

EDIT: It probably doesn't need to be said, but if you're going to mess with your save game, back it up first!

EDIT2: Some references:

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706245691383816194

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706245797239631872

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/706310669247754240

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 9, 2016

NeoSanguine
Jan 7, 2015

This is my swamp.

Supremezero posted:

Mah boi, once you play this, no Animal Crossing will be "Good" Animal Crossing.

Looking forward to it. Although, I found the reason I mostly went back to play AC, was for the music, so if Stardew Valley's soundtrack is even half as good as Wild World. I think I'll be in love all over again. Fingers crossed.

NeoSanguine fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 9, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm heading into the fair. I have a LOT of gold star fish, but not a whole lot of other gold star stuff. Is it better to have gold stars for my picks, or is variety more important?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Where exactly do I have to fish for the Angler? The wiki says the little plank bridge north of Joja Mart, but I've been there with no luck for a while. I thought I saw people getting it off the stone bridge just west of the Mart?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Anyone gotten the Iridium Pickaxe, and know if it mines stones in the desert cave in 1 hit? Assuming it must but wanna be sure before I drop 5 bars on it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the random name generator just suggested i name my new duck "brony" :gonk:

sector_corrector posted:

I'm heading into the fair. I have a LOT of gold star fish, but not a whole lot of other gold star stuff. Is it better to have gold stars for my picks, or is variety more important?

variety is really important. at least on-par with quality, i think

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NeoSanguine posted:

Looking forward to it. Although, I found the reason I mostly went back to play AC, was for the music, so if Stardew Valley's soundtrack is even half as good as Wild World. I think I'll be in love all over again. Fingers crossed.

the soundtrack is really good and honestly i've enjoyed all the seasonal tracks at the very least

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Johnny Joestar posted:

the soundtrack is really good and honestly i've enjoyed all the seasonal tracks at the very least

The winter and ice mine tracks are by far my favorite. This one has a really strange track title, but I adore it and wish it could be one of the regular seasonal themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKpCgS5d1zk

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Someone Awful! posted:

the random name generator just suggested i name my new duck "brony" :gonk:

variety is really important. at least on-par with quality, i think

Ah, thanks. I've got gold star forage, silver star mine, and gold star fish... I think I might throw in my artisinal stuff and veggies even if it's not ranked

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Quick twofold warning.

If you gift ANY of the romanceables after marriage, your partner will freak out about it/you gifting people behind their back. If you want to get the romanceables up, you should probably do it before marriage.

If any romanceables are at 8 hearts before you do the friendship board/finish the community center, doing both of those tasks will bring them to 10 hearts even without a bouquet. This'll trigger their 10 heart events. However you don't really need to worry, as every 10 heart event I've seen so far has given me a "Hey.....I don't really feel the same way." response before the kiss, so you aren't really doing anything.

Are you sure about this? I've been giving gifts to drat near everyone and Penny doesn't really seem to give a poo poo. Every once in awhile her hearts inexplicably drop to 11 (which is easily fixed by literally any gift) but other than that she hasn't said anything

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
penny obviously doesnt want to rock the boat and risk getting sent back to the trailer park

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fhqwhgads posted:

Where exactly do I have to fish for the Angler? The wiki says the little plank bridge north of Joja Mart, but I've been there with no luck for a while. I thought I saw people getting it off the stone bridge just west of the Mart?

This is where I got it. I was fishing northwards, if that makes any difference.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I got the Angler from the west bank; it's not where you fish from that matters, it's where you throw the line.

Remember that fish quality is dependent on throwing the bobber onto a tile as far away from any walkable tiles as possible. Admittedly I'm not sure it's even possible to get the Angler at gold quality given the nature of that corner of the map, but it's something to consider.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Can you let chickens outside? Where should I build the fence in regards to the coop if I can?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The fence doesn't actually mean anything. Animals don't get lost or eat crops. You can keep them penned in if you like, but there's no real reason to.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Can you let chickens outside? Where should I build the fence in regards to the coop if I can?

right-click the small hatch next to the door (from the outside) to open and let em out

Fence would make a U shape below the coop most likely though you can certainly have it funnel to the left or right if you need to where you put it down.

Indecisive posted:

Anyone gotten the Iridium Pickaxe, and know if it mines stones in the desert cave in 1 hit? Assuming it must but wanna be sure before I drop 5 bars on it

re: this I went ahead and bought it and it does in fact mine the desert cave rocks in 1 hit. Gold still takes 2 and the big boulders 3, though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Supremezero posted:

The fence doesn't actually mean anything. Animals don't get lost or eat crops. You can keep them penned in if you like, but there's no real reason to.

Keeps them together for petting.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Rookersh posted:

Quick twofold warning.

Thanks for the advice. I am actually a stingy jerk who doesn't gift anyone except the characters I'm thinking of marrying, so once I'm actually married I'll probably just gift nobody. :haw:

I'm not really in a hurry to choose someone since some ten heart cutscenes seem broken and marriage in these games usually leads to NPCs becoming furniture and becoming shut-ins who suddenly have no daily routines at all.

Do they just sit in your house all day or actually go out?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Met posted:

Keeps them together for petting.

It also means you don't run into them all over the place on your farm if you have a bunch of animals and you're trying to cut grass, water crops, clean up junk, etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fhqwhgads posted:

To confirm Met, this is where my sinker was when I got the Angler:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Cheese Pain posted:

Do they just sit in your house all day or actually go out?

The ones without jobs stay in the house all day pretending to do stuff, there's actually a decent amount of random dialog you can get day to day and even at different times of day that make talking to them not feel like a waste of time at least, but yeah they don't go like wandering the town or hanging out at the pub in the evenings. The ones with jobs do go do them apparently, although people say they're bugged and get stuck at the bus stop screen (should be fixed next patch)

here's a random 40 second video someone made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q22Mkg4fyPc

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Just got this game and overheard that it's really difficult to keep animals profitable through the winter because they graze way too fast and feed is really expensive; any insight on how to avoid that, or if it's even true? I've always liked having a solid chicken coop in Harvest Moon.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Heavy Lobster posted:

Just got this game and overheard that it's really difficult to keep animals profitable through the winter because they graze way too fast and feed is really expensive; any insight on how to avoid that, or if it's even true? I've always liked having a solid chicken coop in Harvest Moon.

You can get feed for free by cutting grass on your farm once you have a silo, and a fully stocked silo will feed 8 animals for the whole winter. It's really not worth it buying feed from the vendor.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Heavy Lobster posted:

If you have a mayo maker, chickens are still profitable through the winter. A full grain silo still feeds 8 animals through an entire month.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Why are my animals angry all winter? I have 2 chickens and a duck in the coop, and 2 dairy cows in the barn. All 5 are pissed all the time. I've got a heater in each. I've tried opening the doors, not opening the doors... what gives?

Edit: Oh, and there's 240/240 hay in the Silo.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ville Valo posted:

Why are my animals angry all winter? I have 2 chickens and a duck in the coop, and 2 dairy cows in the barn. All 5 are pissed all the time. I've got a heater in each. I've tried opening the doors, not opening the doors... what gives?

Edit: Oh, and there's 240/240 hay in the Silo.

You have to actually take the hay out and put it in the feeding trough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

inthesto posted:

You have to actually take the hay out and put it in the feeding trough

It looks like there's always already hay in the feeder in the barn/coop - do they not eat from there? You move it from there to the trough?