Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, the tutorial world save is slowly stabilizing. Now it just shits itself every other save because Thermal Dynamics decides it wants to turn a paint bucket into a duct. I have no idea why:
code:
java.lang.ClassCastException: openblocks.common.block.BlockPaintMixer cannot be cast to cofh.thermaldynamics.duct.BlockDuct
	at cofh.thermaldynamics.block.TileTDBase.getDuctType(TileTDBase.java:758)
	at cofh.thermaldynamics.duct.item.TileItemDuct.getPipeLength(TileItemDuct.java:389)
	at cofh.thermaldynamics.duct.item.TravelingItem.tickClientForward(TravelingItem.java:239)
	at cofh.thermaldynamics.duct.item.TileItemDuct.tickItemsClient(TileItemDuct.java:678)
	at cofh.thermaldynamics.core.TickHandlerClient.tick(TickHandlerClient.java:42)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_820_TickHandlerClient_tick_ClientTickEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:54)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:140)
	at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onPostClientTick(FMLCommonHandler.java:330)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:2064)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:973)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:898)
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
Any idea why? Any idea what to do? Is there a way I can determine what block exactly it's trying to cast? It smells like a block ID, but I don't understand how every other save causes it. I'm just running from the same save. The first save of a Minecraft instance is okay. The second save appears to work, but within a few seconds of being in the title screen, it freezes for a moment, and then crashes with that. It's the same error every crash.

At this point, I'm using the latest stable OpenBlocks and Thermal Dynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Taffer posted:

AS2 is definitely the most horrific bullshit of all the packs on that list. It's a spergy as gently caress skyblock map that requires you to make literally everything from trees. It takes like 2 hours of mindless clicking to even get past the "wait forever for trees to grow" stage, and then beyond that it's just mindless grinding to fill up numbers in a book. Skyblock packs are terrible.

When I say horrific bullshit I mean how much the world wants you dead. AS2 is a long grind but other than that it's painting by numbers.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Does skyfactory have the mod where you can tap 'sneak' really fast to make trees grow? I know at least some of the modern skyblocks have that. It makes green sparklies when it's working.

I will have to try it, not sure. Im well past that now though.

My entire ore set up is automated and i think im running net power during the day with solar. Im thinking of cheating in a complete thaumcraft book now i have it open. I really cant be bothered redoing all the research.

I did have an idea for a mod though. Someone needs to make building tool that drops torches down in a straight line, like 4 torches over 20 blocks.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I will have to try it, not sure. Im well past that now though.

My entire ore set up is automated and i think im running net power during the day with solar. Im thinking of cheating in a complete thaumcraft book now i have it open. I really cant be bothered redoing all the research.

I did have an idea for a mod though. Someone needs to make building tool that drops torches down in a straight line, like 4 torches over 20 blocks.

Use a CC turtle for that or something, or a lamp of paranoia (whenever you are near a an unlit spot in the world it will place a torch from your inventory to light it up).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

What's the point of Deviating Lilies? I thought I would farm them for their seeds but they almost always drop 1 when broken, so you basically get no results from that. In fact, I swear one time I got 0.
You're not wrong. They farm slowly and bad luck can mean
They grow really fast if placed by large bodies of water (I think it scans a nearby 9x9 for water and grows better based on how much it finds) but it CAN yield 0 so even though yields increase on average, with only a few to start you don't get a lot of speed.
Also I've found they can crossbreed if planted nearby (or adjacent? I don't know the specifics) to create seeds of that new color. I mostly just use them for blue dye since it's a lot cheaper than lapis.

I found almost every ore I need but still no sign of silver so I'm wondering if there's a deposit I'm missing or if it'll turn up as a byproduct or something. I guess I'm thankful I haven't needed it yet.
Whatever loving mod makes enemies sometimes blow up on death can gently caress off because for one, what the gently caress, and for two, "enemies randomly explode when they die and that can kill you" is infinitely more bullshit than "look how expensive it is to make a door".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

In the Curse Launcher, is there a way for me to manually update mods in someone else's pack without having to mess with manually tracking the individual mod .jars down?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Any idea why? Any idea what to do? Is there a way I can determine what block exactly it's trying to cast? It smells like a block ID, but I don't understand how every other save causes it. I'm just running from the same save. The first save of a Minecraft instance is okay. The second save appears to work, but within a few seconds of being in the title screen, it freezes for a moment, and then crashes with that. It's the same error every crash.

At this point, I'm using the latest stable OpenBlocks and Thermal Dynamics.
I don't suppose you have an OpenBlocks Paint Mixer hooked up to a duct network? That's the first idea that jumped out at me.

e: Looking more closely at the stack trace, yeah, it's trying to move an item through the network by calculating how long the duct is, and apparently trying to include a Paint Mixer in the length of the duct for some reason.

I can only speculate as to why it only happens every other time, but it might be because it doesn't try to initialize that particular duct the next time after a crash. Then after it saves without blowing up, it tries to make the duct work again.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 8, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh man Blood Moon is terrifying when you've never experienced it. I see now why people take to the trees for their starting base. Going to have to rethink my big-rear end garden out front, might have to enclose it entirely.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

In the Curse Launcher, is there a way for me to manually update mods in someone else's pack without having to mess with manually tracking the individual mod .jars down?

Yes. I'm assuming you're looking at someone's modpack, or it'd be easy to see right away. In the upper-right corner, there's a button labeled "..." (just to the right of the "Get more content" button." Click that, then click Profile Options, and uncheck the box marked "Locked".

In the modlist below, that should have turned on switches on the left (so you can turn mods off), x's on the right (so you can remove mods) and (after a refresh - hit the button at the top of the window), just to the left of those x's it'll shown a green down arrow for any mod that has an update available and is also on Curse. Updating to the most recent version is as simple as hitting that button.

Note that in that Profile Options box, where you unlock the pack, you can also choose what kind of mod release you want: Release versions, Alpha versions, and Beta versions. It'll respect that when updating (and it tiers properly, so if you mark Alpha it'll let you update to any Alpha, Beta, or Release - whatever's the most recent.)

If you create a custom modpack, it's unlocked by default (of course) so you see all that stuff automatically.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

Yes. I'm assuming you're looking at someone's modpack, or it'd be easy to see right away. In the upper-right corner, there's a button labeled "..." (just to the right of the "Get more content" button." Click that, then click Profile Options, and uncheck the box marked "Locked".

This is what I was missing. Thanks!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

This is what I was missing. Thanks!

No problem. It's one of the things I love about the CV Launcher, it's so extremely easy to update things. And gods know most modpack authors run well behind on updates.

(Which I am aware includes me right now.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ImpactVector posted:

I don't suppose you have an OpenBlocks Paint Mixer hooked up to a duct network? That's the first idea that jumped out at me.

e: Looking more closely at the stack trace, yeah, it's trying to move an item through the network by calculating how long the duct is, and apparently trying to include a Paint Mixer in the length of the duct for some reason.

I can only speculate as to why it only happens every other time, but it might be because it doesn't try to initialize that particular duct the next time after a crash. Then after it saves without blowing up, it tries to make the duct work again.

It looks like it is a block ID conflict. The paint can stopped complaining and now the paint mixer is complaining. It starts as block ID 1370, and gets migrated to 1267. The itemduct has block ID 1370, so there is a linkage there. I have noticed I can survive the second save if I place a paint mixer and an itemduct in the world; I don't know if I just need to done or the other. I am dabbing in that now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

No problem. It's one of the things I love about the CV Launcher, it's so extremely easy to update things. And gods know most modpack authors run well behind on updates.

(Which I am aware includes me right now.)

There's good reason for that. Updating mods in a big complex pack and easily break a lot of things. It's smart to hold off on updating until theres a significant amount of new good content or bugfixes, then update a bunch of things at once and test thoroughly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

There's good reason for that. Updating mods in a big complex pack and easily break a lot of things. It's smart to hold off on updating until theres a significant amount of new good content or bugfixes, then update a bunch of things at once and test thoroughly.

Yeah this. It drives me nuts how a lot of mod authors always want people to run the latest. I don't have the kind of lifestyle that lets me poll the Internet to perpetually update a modpack every time one of the 100+ mods I use changes.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Whatever loving mod makes enemies sometimes blow up on death can gently caress off because for one, what the gently caress, and for two, "enemies randomly explode when they die and that can kill you" is infinitely more bullshit than "look how expensive it is to make a door".

That's the "anger mod" unique to NH. The config is in the GTNewHorizons folder. You want to turn off the kamikaze revenge option.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
h͇e̸͎̟l̛̬̻̯̜̥̲͡p̗̪̫̞̮̘̘̖̀ ̞͎͓͍̟̻͔m͏̭̠̼̼͈͉̦͓è̸͖̺

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Stack and a half of copper, Two stacks of redstone, <stack of the rest...No :psyduck: levels of resource.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I'm setting up the infrastructure to make solar panels and the machines appear to be the hardest recipes. On the bright side, I can use all the ashes my boilers produced to make the carbon for them.

EDIT: Also, for those of you still playing GT: NH, remember that electric GregTech machines explode if they get rained on.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 8, 2016

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

CoreDuo posted:

h͇e̸͎̟l̛̬̻̯̜̥̲͡p̗̪̫̞̮̘̘̖̀ ̞͎͓͍̟̻͔m͏̭̠̼̼͈͉̦͓è̸͖̺

Time for a wiremill buddy.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

Oh, I know. And I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't know it was necessary - like I said, my own is somewhat behind because I'm trying to keep issues to a minimum for people playing it, and so I don't overwhelm them with eight million updates.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

bigperm posted:

Which itself needs 38 wires made manually. You know how these recipes are. :sludgepal:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

Yeah. Once you hit electrical machines, first priority is making the machines that make everything cheaper. Wiremill, then ExtruderBending Machine... was there something else?
edit: Bending machine, not extruder. There are almost no useful LV extruder recipes.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 9, 2016

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Yeah. Once you hit electrical machines, first priority is making the machines that make everything cheaper. Wiremill, then Extruder... was there something else?

I'm not quite at that stage yet, I'm trying to reduce my reliance on coal (or other finite fuel) before I make the other machines because it doesn't scale that well and resources to make the centrifuge and such aren't a problem (yet). Power usage looks like it'll go up dramatically once you get into the entire suite of LV machines so I think better power generation is a bigger priority than making recipes cheaper. IMO, of course.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 8, 2016

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
You need a block cutter to make the plate that you put in a lathe to get the lens that you put in the laser engraver (along with foil, which you need the extruder for) to make the wiring to put in the forming press to make the part that goes into the assembler (along with molten lead, for which you need a fluid extractor) to make an circuit. Of which you will need a million.

Basically you need all the machines.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

You need a block cutter to make the plate that you put in a lathe to get the lens that you put in the laser engraver (along with foil, which you need the extruder for) to make the wiring to put in the forming press to make the part that goes into the assembler (along with molten lead, for which you need a fluid extractor) to make an circuit. Of which you will need a million.

No you don't. There's a shaped recipe for the basic circuit. Did you really think you needed a bunch of LV machines in order to make circuits to make LV machines?
Oh god, you mean advanced circuits. That's horrifying. Though, I suppose since the lens doesn't get used up the actual steps involved in mass producing them aren't THAT much worse than before.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2016

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

bigperm posted:

Not for the basic and 8V solar panels. The thing I'm not sure about is if you can use the non-electric blast furnace to make silicon ingots. I guess I'll find out. I know that I won't be able to be completely reliant on solar for a while yet but if I can at least have some of my power generation not coming from coal that would be an improvement.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 9, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
If they wanted it to be more realistic they should make it that you have to afk at an assembly table where your wait a few minutes while your character makes the components, not turning an entire mountainside of ore into a single machine that explodes like a nuke if you look at it while it doesn't have power.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

Not for the basic and 8V solar panels. The thing I'm not sure about is if you can use the non-electric blast furnace to make silicon ingots. I guess I'll find out. I know that I won't be able to be completely reliant on solar for a while yet but if I can at least have some of my power generation not coming from coal that would be an improvement.

Don't you have a simple solar boiler? They're not that expensive, and so long as you sleep in a bed regularly they can run full time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CoreDuo posted:

EDIT: Also, for those of you still playing GT: NH, remember that electric GregTech machines explode if they get rained on.
Or just turn that off in the config file.

McFrugal posted:

Don't you have a simple solar boiler? They're not that expensive, and so long as you sleep in a bed regularly they can run full time.
Where do you get the silver for that?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

I did but there's no higher tier ones to be able to power all the bronze machines and/or a steam turbine reliably so I've been using the high pressure coal boilers. Because of that, I figured the low-tier electric solar panels were the next logical step.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 9, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is a shot in the dark but I just started getting weird errors when booting up New Horizons:

When doing /mt reload I get "an unknown error occurred while attempting to perform this function" and the log shows this error too:
[Server thread/ERROR]: Couldn't process command: 'mt reload'

quote:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at modtweaker2.mods.thaumcraft.research.AddPage.undo(AddPage.java:113) ~[AddPage.class:?]
at minetweaker.runtime.MTTweaker.rollback(MTTweaker.java:88) ~[MTTweaker.class:?]
at minetweaker.MineTweakerImplementationAPI.reload(MineTweakerImplementationAPI.java:621) ~[MineTweakerImplementationAPI.class:?]
at minetweaker.MineTweakerImplementationAPI$1.execute(MineTweakerImplementationAPI.java:83) ~[MineTweakerImplementationAPI$1.class:?]
at minetweaker.MineTweakerImplementationAPI$19.execute(MineTweakerImplementationAPI.java:642) ~[MineTweakerImplementationAPI$19.class:?]
at minetweaker.mc1710.server.MCServer$MCCommand.func_71515_b(MCServer.java:124) ~[MCServer$MCCommand.class:?]
at net.minecraft.command.CommandHandler.func_71556_a(CommandHandler.java:94) [z.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetHandlerPlayServer.func_147361_d(NetHandlerPlayServer.java:739) [nh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetHandlerPlayServer.func_147354_a(NetHandlerPlayServer.java:718) [nh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.play.client.C01PacketChatMessage.func_148833_a(SourceFile:37) [ir.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.play.client.C01PacketChatMessage.func_148833_a(SourceFile:9) [ir.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.func_74428_b(NetworkManager.java:212) [ej.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkSystem.func_151269_c(NetworkSystem.java:165) [nc.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:659) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:547) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.func_71217_p(IntegratedServer.java:111) [bsx.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:427) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:685) [?:?]

Anyone have any idea what hosed up? This seems big.

I can't think of anything I changed recently that would cause this, but I'm going over config files I opened recently and reverting them just in case.

E: On further examination I don't actually appear to be missing these recipes, so I don't know if this big scary error actually has any consequences. Though apparently recipes won't show up in NEI until you've researched them in the Thaumonomicon. So I learned that today.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 9, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Where do you get the silver for that?

Uhhh I think I may have found some silver bars in a chest somewhere. I've also got a bunch of unprocessed silver from small ore, which is less of a luck-based thing.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
With the Gregtech talk, has anyone made a mod where plants & animals grow at the same rate they would in real life, animals being pregnant for the same amount of time, or changed the day/night cycle to actual 24 hours?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

greententacle posted:

With the Gregtech talk, has anyone made a mod where plants & animals grow at the same rate they would in real life, animals being pregnant for the same amount of time, or changed the day/night cycle to actual 24 hours?

https://www.reddit.com/r/outside

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

From my experiences with older versions of GregTech-containing-modpacks, eventually you will build a solar boiler just due to having so much goddamn silver and nothing else to do with it and ANY amount of "free" power sounding attractive.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am looking for some utilities to help me toy with BFSR. First, I was using NBTExplorer, but it appears to hang when searching files. Is there a better alternative?

Second, is there something I can use to cause an off-line block ID migration of a save? I think that might save me a lot of trouble with block ID problems I appear to be having with my tutorial dimension.

Finally, what's the cool kid map editor? I'd like to copy and past between different saves, search for specific blocks, and things like that.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Well, balls. You do need the electric blast furnace for silicon ingots. The quest book is pushing me towards Steve's Carts so that might be the answer.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 9, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CoreDuo posted:

Well, balls. You do need the electric blast furnace for silicon ingots. The quest book is pushing me towards Steve's Carts so that might be the answer.

Oh, Steve's Carts is in New Horizons? Did they triple the amount of time and RF carts take to build?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Echophonic posted:

Oh, Steve's Carts is in New Horizons? Did they triple the amount of time and RF carts take to build?

I've not a clue since I'm still mapping out the resources needed to craft it. They definitely hosed with the recipes, so whenever I manage to make one I'll see if the time to assemble the carts has changed. I've got a wiremill now and on my way to making an extruder so the cost is currently in flux.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
i remember my first ever Modded world, I ended up with a base about 4 chunks in size, The floor covered with Batboxes all linking in to each other with MFEs below and CFEs and MFSUs making a huge storage bank on the floor. and then a load of upgraded machines that were taking input from MFSUs (i did have a few explosions when i placed down machines against a cable and didnt get the upgrade in fast enough)

takes me back: <Shudder> :suicide:

give me RF anyday.