Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I pronounce it gift without the t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b h m
Feb 13, 2016

Artist formerly known as JPEG

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have never needed to pronounce "gif" because lol who the gently caress am i gonna talk to about animated image formats from the 1980s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I talk to my co-workers about the sick gifs I'm putting in my constant contact mailers targeted at millenials

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
49% open rate on my last one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
smythe getting engagement w/ his brand.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Smythe posted:

49% open rate on my last one

:golfclap:

Also, RIP to the e-mail inventor guy, may his inbox be full of signal and free of noise

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
the other guy to thank is whoever wrote bogofilter, it stopped all my users from complaining about spam. What a godsend.

Whenever I see a news article that says "e-mail is dead" and "no one uses e-mail anymore", I really wonder if they think that businesses are gonna just start sending each other facebook direct mail or tweet the teleconference details. Please.

Bringing it back to desktop linux - does anyone use a desktop e-mail client that is not a web browser or Thunderbird?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i use Mail.app .. great software. which came for FREE with my desktop unix

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barnyard Protein posted:

computer terms should be communicated as unpronounceable pictographs

巴纽

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

celeron 300a posted:

the other guy to thank is whoever wrote bogofilter, it stopped all my users from complaining about spam. What a godsend.

Whenever I see a news article that says "e-mail is dead" and "no one uses e-mail anymore", I really wonder if they think that businesses are gonna just start sending each other facebook direct mail or tweet the teleconference details. Please.

Bringing it back to desktop linux - does anyone use a desktop e-mail client that is not a web browser or Thunderbird?

i used to use gnus, but gave up when i started doing most of my email on my phone anyway

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mu4e is nice, if you're already using emacs.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

巴 looks like an old mouse

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bathroom?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

mike12345 posted:

mu4e is nice, if you're already using emacs.

why would you use emacs?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
EMACS is for people who want to use a IDE but feel smug about not having modern features and having to config everything themselves.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

i use Mail.app .. great software. which came for FREE with my desktop unix
i'm glad that i bought a mac because i used to use thunderbird on windows :rip:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wheany posted:

why would you use emacs?

because you mistakenly believe it provides something approximating a Lisp Machine experience

doesn't even have USER AIDS

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:siren: RMS showing influence in China :siren:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

celeron 300a posted:

I used to use claws, I wonder how it's doing these days

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I use dns blacklisting and milter-greylist to clean up afterwards, ~works for me wontfix~

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wheany posted:

why would you use emacs?

because there are only two good editors, and vim users are even more insufferable

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I like vi. Wouldn't call it a good editor as such, but it's reliable and mostly consistent regardless of where you are, and it's always there.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Broken Machine posted:

I like vi. Wouldn't call it a good editor as such, but it's reliable and mostly consistent regardless of where you are, and it's always there.

at least its better than accidentally ending up in emacs as a default editor and having to Ctrl+Z to bg the process then pkill it to quit (there's no other actual way to quit emacs other than to kill it's process that i know of)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sniep posted:

at least its better than accidentally ending up in emacs as a default editor and having to Ctrl+Z to bg the process then pkill it to quit (there's no other actual way to quit emacs other than to kill it's process that i know of)

what

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Sniep posted:

umm

C-x C-c

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

trap sprung

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its like ending up in ed. wtf is even going on with that pos

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

pram posted:

ed is bad but it's so simple on the offhand you have to use it and have forgotten you can just look it up and figure it out in a few minutes. you need about three commands and they're all one letter

most of unix makes more sense when you remember it's 1) Berkeley in 2) the late 70s written by 3) dirty hippies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

ed is useful in shell scripts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

ed is bad but it's so simple on the offhand you have to use it and have forgotten you can just look it up and figure it out in a few minutes. you need about three commands and they're all one letter

most of unix makes more sense when you remember it's 1) Berkeley in 2) the late 70s written by 3) dirty hippies

ed came from engineers at bell labs

vi came from dirty hippies at berkeley

emacs came from dirty hippie engineers at mit

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ed came from engineers at bell labs

vi came from dirty hippies at berkeley

emacs came from dirty hippie engineers at mit

agreed, but I would contend that most of kernighan thompson richie et al also got dirty af at Bell Labs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

agreed, but I would contend that most of kernighan thompson richie et al also got dirty af at Bell Labs

richard greenblatt @ mit was so infamously dirty, they called the bits of gunge that fall out of a keyboard "blattlings"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

richard greenblatt @ mit was so infamously dirty, they called the bits of gunge that fall out of a keyboard "blattlings"

:stonk:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

at least he left his mark on computers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
vim is ok but it's kinda buggy and apparently the code is a horror show

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Has anyone made a linux text editor that works normally, ie ctrl-s is save, ctrl-c is copy, ctrl-v is paste, ctrl-z is undo and so on?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
... that works in the terminal, i mean

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

?

ed is the standard text editor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ed is useful in shell scripts

even more useful in the form that can be applied to streams

though being able to tell diff to output an ed script to transform its first argument its second can be useful, since you can then parse that script to get character-level change information…