Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Bold Robot posted:

City's coming along:

That train / shipyard owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I made a griddyish city, which is working out relatively well, and then decided to start making a squiggily city on the same map just to compare and contrast the two.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like those row houses, what mod is that?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'm having a very annoying bug, I can't click on any icons on the right side of the screen. The left side works fine. Resolution changes etc do not alleviate this issue. I tried removing some mods to fix it but nothing really helps. Anyone know what the issue could be?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like those row houses, what mod is that?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455262438

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sweet, now I can make Bed-Stuy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Weird that it's just one 4x3 building rather than a set of individual row houses.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Still having pretty bad traffic problems even after the upgrades. I included an overhead of my no-doubt exemplary city this time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alabaster White posted:

Still having pretty bad traffic problems even after the upgrades. I included an overhead of my no-doubt exemplary city this time.

Can we see a version of that map where we can see what your zoning is? Traffic problems in smaller cities are almost always caused by industrial vehicles going someplace they shouldn't.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What do you have going on at the top highway access? It looks like a pedestrian path or something really thin. Or maybe it just looks thin because you're using over-sized roads everywhere else? I'd upgrade your stroads to simple 2-way roads to avoid traffic lights in most places.

Just watch your traffic. Is is cars jamming? Trucks? Vans? You want to keep your industrial traffic isolated from your residential traffic. A tiny city that size shouldn't have any traffic problems, it also shouldn't really need any huge roads like you have 90% of your roads. I think 90% of your problem is your grid of over-sized roads with traffic lights. Yeah tone those down to 2-lanes, maybe have a single north-south avenue and a large enough round-about to replace lights.

Also your subway is probably useless. Replace it with a few north/south bus routes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Baronjutter posted:

You want to keep your industrial traffic isolated from your residential traffic.
Anyone have any good tips for this?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Funky Valentine posted:

Anyone have any good tips for this?

I give each industrial area its own on and off-ramps to the highway, and put down district policies in all non-industrial areas for "no heavy traffic", which forbids industrial trucks, except for the delivery vans, from routing through the area.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Can we see a version of that map where we can see what your zoning is? Traffic problems in smaller cities are almost always caused by industrial vehicles going someplace they shouldn't.

Here's the zoning. I tried to keep my industrial/office sector away from the residential district as well as I could.

Baronjutter posted:

What do you have going on at the top highway access? It looks like a pedestrian path or something really thin. Or maybe it just looks thin because you're using over-sized roads everywhere else? I'd upgrade your stroads to simple 2-way roads to avoid traffic lights in most places.

Just watch your traffic. Is is cars jamming? Trucks? Vans? You want to keep your industrial traffic isolated from your residential traffic. A tiny city that size shouldn't have any traffic problems, it also shouldn't really need any huge roads like you have 90% of your roads. I think 90% of your problem is your grid of over-sized roads with traffic lights. Yeah tone those down to 2-lanes, maybe have a single north-south avenue and a large enough round-about to replace lights.

Also your subway is probably useless. Replace it with a few north/south bus routes

I uploaded my bus routes for good measure, too.
The top road is a highway off-ramp. I don't know what a "stroad" is, but are you saying that bigger streets =/= better? And by 2-lane you mean the smallest road type, right? Making the roads smaller will improve traffic?? I'm very confused.
I only built the subway out of desperation because I hoped there would be less cars on the street. There are what seem like disproportionately enormous amounts of cars on my streets, with jams everywhere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wait the roads leading to your highway are one-way highway ramps, not 2-way roads? You need to make those highway connections 2-way so vehicles can come and go.
And yes, for a city your size smaller roads would probably be a lot better because the traffic lights formed by your over-built mega-roads are jamming everything up. In fact even for a larger city, 2-lane roads are generally the way to go.

This was my last city before the update killed everything. All 2-lane roads, lots of transit, no jams.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 8, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Baronjutter posted:

Wait the roads leading to your highway are one-way highway ramps, not 2-way roads? You need to make those highway connections 2-way so vehicles can come and go.
And yes, for a city your size smaller roads would probably be a lot better because the traffic lights formed by your over-built mega-roads are jamming everything up. In fact even for a larger city, 2-lane roads are generally the way to go.

This was my last city before the update killed everything. All 2-lane roads, lots of transit, no jams.

What color filter are you using here? I like the pastel colors. Good looking city, too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
If I had to guess, your industrial vehicles are favoring that middle entrance because it's not much a of a difference of distance from the industrial site, and they get a lot more "bandwidth" on the 6-lane road than the little offramp you've provided them with. Morever, assuming that the offramp up north there is only an entrance, you've not provided any sort of exit for outgoing traffic from the industrial area without having it filter down through your city first. If the ramp is actually an exit, then you've ensured that definitely all traffic is going to favor entering from the middle entrance.

Generally that southern highway junction will only see action from people going to/from work, because nobody from outside the city comes to "visit" residential zones. But also, now that I can see it in real colors, that highway junction you've made down there is super awkward. For simple highway entry/exit, there's not really a reason to reinvent the wheel- just copy that pretzel shape from the middle there, and you'll save yourself some trouble down the line.

For that diamond-shape junction, what you actually want is like an overpass that just extends off of one of your main roads, and has ramps going onto it. You have some wiggle room to work with in exact design there, depending on how likely it is that people from either direction will need to get onto the highway.... I usually do it like you did in the north, but the whole middle part is a 6-lane road that then either keeps being that or jumps down to 4 lanes once it gets back on the ground- the main thing is not have that avenue divider there muddying up the intersections. If Network Extensions project wasn't currently broken, I'd use their 2-lane + turning lane roads for the overpass, instead.

e: Baronjutter that city is cute af. I like the little university/cathedral complex in the middle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bigger roads have a faster speed limit but traffic lights jam everything up. If roads are a tree, highways are the trunk, 4 or 6 lanes are the branches, and 2 lanes are the twigs. A tree is largely twigs with the trunk and branches just sort of holding everything together. Bigger roads aren't necessarily any more capacity if there isn't a balanced load on it. And you get a balanced load by sticking to the tree analogy.

By the way, highway AI is really idiosyncratic about branching off anything larger than a ramp. All those places you have exits or interchanges made of highway should be changed to ramps.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
New cheevo icons:

Something something canals?

e: "With Canals You Can!" and "Quay-King", guess something's planned for the anniversary.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Koesj posted:

New cheevo icons:

e: "With Canals You Can!" and "Quay-King", guess something's planned for the anniversary.

oooo. I wonder if I'll have to unsubscribe all those cosmetic canal parks I have sitting around so I can make a real (shittier) Venice :v:

Requesting feature where I can dump all my sewage into canals for authentic human civilization experience.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CJacobs posted:

What color filter are you using here? I like the pastel colors. Good looking city, too.

I don't even know what a colour filter is. Just default game poo poo I guess.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baronjutter posted:

I don't even know what a colour filter is. Just default game poo poo I guess.

My sweet summer child :3:
Every map has a "default" LUT filter that I think is based on its biome, or something. Tropical maps have like really vivid colors, and boreal maps are a little more subdued, for example. Workshop has a bunch of custom filters that mostly strive to achieve "realistic" or "clear" colors, and you can change your filter in the graphical options.

I'm especially fond of our own Chewbot's work https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970563643/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

I use his "true" colors filter mostly, but his desert filter is really good for maps like the Oasis one that he made.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Can you just draw me a diagram or something because I don't understand any of this :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Koesj posted:

New cheevo icons:

References to canals, sea walls (finally) and quays were found in the Snow Fall update.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alabaster White posted:

Can you just draw me a diagram or something because I don't understand any of this :(

Replace all your big roads with 2 lane roads. All of them, just do it. Your highway ramps should be made with the highway ramp tool, not the highway tool, and they should lead once again to a 2 lane road.

Highway -> ramp -> 2 lane road. That should be the hierarchy of roads in your little town. Your problem isn't number of lanes, it's traffic lights and really bad highway access.

For a small city all you need is something like this:

Thick black is highway, thin black is ramp, dark blue is 2-lane road (I like to alternate every other street bike lane or trees). Put industry close to the highway, put a SMALL amount of commercial near the industry (never chase commercial demand, just build a tiny amount), build office where ever, close to housing is good. You don't have to build a literal perfect grid of 2-lane streets, it can be all wavy, but the main thing is to avoid lots of dead ends, get that traffic nicely distributed evenly through the whole grid system rather than funneled through choke points. The extra capacity you get from wider streets is canceled out by the bad traffic lights, don't use them. If an intersection is jammed, upgrade it to a LARGE roundabout made out of highway pieces, at least 9 tile radius. Don't forget to add pedestrian bridges.

If one of your highway connections gets overly jammed, upgrade it to something better, like a big roundabout above or below the highway.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Looks like it's time to start over because downgrading all the roads to 2-lanes has royally hosed my city and caused 60% of the population to immediately move out, while also cratering the RCI. Is there a workshop asset I can download because those highway diamonds are really hard to build and the game won't let me retrofit them.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There are tons of highway interchanges on the workshop, just look in the "intersection" ... umm ... section.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Alabaster White posted:

Looks like it's time to start over because downgrading all the roads to 2-lanes has royally hosed my city and caused 60% of the population to immediately move out, while also cratering the RCI. Is there a workshop asset I can download because those highway diamonds are really hard to build and the game won't let me retrofit them.

Read this traffic guide - I'm surprised nobody has posted it yet (or maybe I just missed it). It's super helpful and lays out some good concepts and best practices for traffic management. The idea is to create a hierarchy of roads - cims take the highway to 4/6 lane arterial streets and then branch off onto 2-lane roads to get to their destination. To be fair, you can totally get away with just using two-way streets in this game and using 4/6 streets is usually for aesthetics, but the point is that very rarely will upgrading a street to a wider street alleviate a traffic problem. Layout is key.

Probably the #1 traffic tip is minimize intersections on high-traffic roads. More intersections = more backup. Your main/middle offramp is a big offender right now - it leads into basically a 4-way intersection right next to a three way intersection, which is itself right next to additional three way intersections immediately to the north and south. That's way too many intersections for the main entrance into your city. A place to start would be to combine the two highway halves into one road before it reaches the city, so that there's only one intersection. The bottom half of your city is a decent example of how to do this: east-west traffic has long stretches between intersections and you have larger streets feeding into smaller streets.

Another big thing to keep in mind is which zones generate a lot of traffic - those zones need the best highway access. Industrial generates the most, followed closely by high density commercial, followed by high density residential. Everything else (including offices) is pretty low volume and you can kinda do whatever you want. Your industrial area has okay highway access (assuming you fix the top onramp to make it an actual road and not the onramp street), since it has two ways onto the highway (putting aside the fact that the bottom entrance is kind of a mess, see above). But to get from the highway to your HD commercial, traffic has to go through the industrial area, and to get to the HD residential, traffic has to go through that. Ideally industrial would have dedicated or near-dedicated highway access. You also want easy access from industrial zones to commercial zones, since industrial mainly outputs to local commercial, but you're fine there.

Don't worry about starting over. I started over all the time in this game when things aren't working out. But also don't be afraid to bulldoze huge sections of your city in the name of improving traffic. This game is insanely forgiving and your city will bounce back quicker than you think.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

City's coming along:

Those projects are sweet, and the boxy brick 10 story on the same block. Where are those from?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nah, the term "Indian" is extremely inappropriate in Canada now and I was taken aback seeing it used casually. Forget I said anything I guess.

Its true, the terms are usually native though thats going out of style, aboriginal or first nations is currently in vogue.

I traveled across Canada around 7 years ago and all the aboriginals I met called themselves indians. I wonder if its changed in that time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Welp, I built myself into a corner. RIP Mothburg. My water pumps reversed the flow of the river and created an inevitable shitwater countdown.

I'm kind of okay with it. I liked my lovely trailer park and my heavily built-up university district, but the whole thing was kinda disjointed and weird in the big picture. I think my next project is gonna be like a tropical resort town with a heavy emphasis on bicycle infrastructure :getin:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

More pics of my current city:

Did somebody say bike infrastructure?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like your park and rows of apartment blocks!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgyb5wCVAAo

This guy has a cool way of making a canal city. I think I'll try something like this for my next game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm looking for a map recommendation! I want something tropical. Not necessarily an island, but definitely something with like a bay or a lagoon for me to centerpiece around. I wanna make a compact, tourist-oriented city center on the waterfront, with a heavy emphasis on bicycle infrastructure. I'll try not to cause a poop apocalypse like I did in my last city :ohdear:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Count Roland posted:

Those projects are sweet, and the boxy brick 10 story on the same block. Where are those from?

The projects are the Robert Taylor Homes. The boxy 10-story I'm not sure - probably something from the Manhattan collection or the big New York all-in-one collection.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm looking for a map recommendation! I want something tropical. Not necessarily an island, but definitely something with like a bay or a lagoon for me to centerpiece around. I wanna make a compact, tourist-oriented city center on the waterfront, with a heavy emphasis on bicycle infrastructure. I'll try not to cause a poop apocalypse like I did in my last city :ohdear:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576316410

This one is highly rated, and is kind of fun to play with, if a little small. It does have some necessary dependencies, and he even made his own "polynesian" theme to go with it.

e: and check the pics, he even points out "toilet flush locations" to help with your apocalypse :)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576316410

This one is highly rated, and is kind of fun to play with, if a little small. It does have some necessary dependencies, and he even made his own "polynesian" theme to go with it.

e: and check the pics, he even points out "toilet flush locations" to help with your apocalypse :)

Hah, that's amazing. So he made like little aquatic black holes for sewage runoff? I'll try this out tonight.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I have begun work on depressing Soviet city. Sorry for image dump again, first person camera just clips through the ground and is impossible to use.

The VERY FIRST tram already had an incident with a garbage truck and a Lada police car.

Penal colony will have these buildings

I like this little detail the modder put in. "Vasya was here."

There's no good depressing parks so I made my own

Depressing grass!!!

This park is nice, runs along a big road. I made it so you place multiple ones after each other so it makes a nice long walkway.

Chernobyl

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh and I've also been loving with other people's assets and making work them for my needs. I took the Kremlin Unique buildings and made them into police/school so that I can have, like, 20 Kremlins. Then I made a recycling plant with like 250 garbage trucks and 500,000 processing per week. :unsmigghh: Unfortunately I haven't been able to convert things into props or parks, it just breaks :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fuuuck I wish there was an easy way to share asset packs for some of your guys cities, that looks fuckin awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Steam workshop and Skylines need a versatile tagging system. :eng99: set search params tag <growable> <afterdark> <soviet>