Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

red19fire posted:

This is seriously the best part of the modern age. Digital ropes with which to hang themselves.

Which is great, because most constitutional scholars agree that most of the Founding Fathers were as close to atheist as one could get without being burned at the stake.

Wasn't Ben Franklin a loving Unitarian or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Benny Franks believed in uniting as many Parisian prostitutes with his genitalia as time and available funds permitted

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

zeal posted:

Benny Franks believed in uniting as many Parisian prostitutes with his genitalia as time and available funds permitted

A prosty a day keeps the morning wood awa....I have sifilus. :(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wasn't Ben Franklin a loving Unitarian or something?

The religious beliefs of the founding fathers would get them burned at the stake in the modern religious climate tbh

Jefferson ripped the Bible apart because he though Paul and the miracles of Jesus were dumb and never happened and created a "philosophy of Jesus" book. Imagine how well that sort of thing would go over today if say, a prominent Senator did that.

Franklin was also a fan of starting every day by opening his windows and cavorting totally nude in front of them. He called it "air baths" but I think he just really enjoyed being seen nude by a street full of people

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

"go ahead and shoot me"
"you're going to have to shoot me"

"Did they shoot him? You assholes"

The video on its own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw9sfuFGghY

I love the Home School Teen's attempts to contribute. "We have to get Ryan back!" "I'm an EMT!" "*shrieking*"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love the red dots on her at the very end.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised by how calm Ammon is during most of the video. Like, Finicum is dead and his only comments are, "Oh, no turns out I wasn't shot. Well, I guess we got lax and lazy. Once they let us go because we refuse joinder with our corporate persons we'll just try harder next time."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat, they came within a hair's breadth of that stupid "I'm an EMT!" lady getting shot, too. People do incredibly stupid things when they're in shock, but an EMT should know better than to try to run out or a car screaming when police and federal agents are pointing guns at you.

EDIT - wait, EMT lady was the Von Trapp family singer girl? I can guarantee she's not a real EMT.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Lavoy's wife released a statement after the report. She probably should have waited and revised her statement, because despite them pointing out that he had 900 feet to stop after seeing the blockade, she claimed

quote:

“It was an ambush with a roadblock placed on a blind curve along a lonely stretch of highway. I am told that in law enforcement and prosecuting circles this is called a ‘Deadman’s blockade,’ and is designed to allow a ‘kill stop’ which is illegal.”

This must be a super top secret tactic, because literally the only google result for it I could find besides reports on her own press release was a fanfic for something called "bakugan battle brawlers."

Gorilla Salad posted:

drat, they came within a hair's breadth of that stupid "I'm an EMT!" lady getting shot, too. People do incredibly stupid things when they're in shock, but an EMT should know better than to try to run out or a car screaming when police and federal agents are pointing gun at you.

That's the 18 year old Sharpe Singer, and moments earlier she asked "Why did they pull you over?"

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT - wait, EMT lady was the Von Trapp family singer girl? I can guarantee she's not a real EMT.
lol there it is

GameCube has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Mar 9, 2016

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

"go ahead and shoot me"
"you're going to have to shoot me"

"why'd you shoot me?"

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The sharps are from Kansas right? There is no Victoria sharp on the Kansas EMS registry.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

cumshitter posted:

I'm surprised by how calm Ammon is during most of the video. Like, Finicum is dead and his only comments are, "Oh, no turns out I wasn't shot. Well, I guess we got lax and lazy. Once they let us go because we refuse joinder with our corporate persons we'll just try harder next time."

I can honestly see that going through his head. He's got more than enough arrogance to have expected to be able to return to his little cult despite the FBI bearing down on him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

red19fire posted:

Which is great, because most constitutional scholars agree that most of the Founding Fathers were as close to atheist as one could get without being burned at the stake.
uhhhh....no. Two of the most influential, Jefferson and Franklin, were deists or something like it - and a few others have question marks around them(Adams or Madison? One of the Jameses). The vast, vast majority of "Founding Fathers" were just as Christian as society was at that time.

theflyingorc has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 9, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

uhhhh....no. Two of the most influential, Jefferson and Franklin, were deists or something like it - and a few others have question marks around them. The vast, vast majority of "Founding Fathers" were just as Christian as society was at that time.

By modern evangelical standards that's as good as atheism. See also UUs and - depending on who you ask - Episcopalians and Catholics

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Geostomp posted:

I can honestly see that going through his head. He's got more than enough arrogance to have expected to be able to return to his little cult despite the FBI bearing down on him.

You can see the same thing happening with Lavoy in his last moments. He knew this was it and was already goading the FBI and the state patrol to shoot him. It makes me wonder what his composure would be like if they didn't kill him and instead got him with the taser or hit him with a couple beanbag and gas rounds. I'd imagine his death wish bravado transforming into a whimper.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Epic High Five posted:

By modern evangelical standards that's as good as atheism. See also UUs and - depending on who you ask - Episcopalians and Catholics
...it's also 2 of them. Again, two of the most influential, but the list of "Founding Fathers" is a big list.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

cumshitter posted:

That's Ryan Bundy, with the facial damage. Ammon Bundy was in a separate car that didn't try to flee.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

...it's also 2 of them. Again, two of the most influential, but the list of "Founding Fathers" is a big list.

Oh yeah it is, and some of them were bread and butter. Religiosity was pretty different back then, and I'm not sure even the more pious of them would land on their feet in the modern religious movement.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tarpman will ride on, in our hearts. :patriot:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the last song a great patriot decided to die to... great big worlds hold each other... gave him strength in his last moments when he dicided he wasnt gonna let no tyrant shove him round

You give me chills and I can't imagine you leaving
If I could build a perfect person honestly you would be it
And you know nobody knows you like I know you
I can't wait to come back home so I can hold you

rip lavoy. we hold each other

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've been waiting for this day for weeks

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

GameCube posted:

The video on its own:

I love the Home School Teen's attempts to contribute. "We have to get Ryan back!" "I'm an EMT!" "*shrieking*"

That is some excellent felony stop verbal commands by Captain Shouty there. Only one person talking, clear, loud, unambiguous and repeated. Very nice.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the magic words~

Alien, you have spoken the Words, and you have spoken them rightly
We will tell you our reasons why we enslave all other sentient life.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

uhhhh....no. Two of the most influential, Jefferson and Franklin, were deists or something like it - and a few others have question marks around them(Adams or Madison? One of the Jameses). The vast, vast majority of "Founding Fathers" were just as Christian as society was at that time.

That's what I meant by 'as close to atheists as possible'.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
if all the founding fathers were raised today I wonder how many would be lost to video games/manchildhood

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

never trust an elf posted:

if all the founding fathers were raised today I wonder how many would be lost to video games/manchildhood

same amount as today, probably, being a manchild isn't a new phenomenon

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

red19fire posted:

That's what I meant by 'as close to atheists as possible'.

Then your definition of that was stupid? Again, they were mostly religious men, with a few notable exceptions. Franklin and Jefferson were "as close to atheist as possible". The rest weren't.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

same amount as today, probably, being a manchild isn't a new phenomenon

Warhammer 40k is better than the fantasy setting imho.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Then your definition of that was stupid? Again, they were mostly religious men, with a few notable exceptions. Franklin and Jefferson were "as close to atheist as possible". The rest weren't.

I was wondering where the d&d thread went but now I understand

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

GameCube posted:

The video on its own:

"If you see a laser, keep it away from you."

cumshitter posted:

It's Ryan, and a lot of people's response to other people freaking out in a crisis is to calm the gently caress down and try to get others to do the same. You can fault him for a lot, but at least he kept self trained EMT lady from getting herself killed.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
One of the big reasons why heroic people downplay their heroism is they just did whatever it was without really thinking about it. My buddies ran into a burning building years ago and were yanking people out, and they both said after that they didn't even realize what was happening until they were in the building.

Humanity evolved in a weird way to cope with emergencies, and we're some of the only animals known to not only attempt rescues, but to do so recognizing the imminent threat to ourselves. It's pretty cool.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
The new meme being bandied about LaVoy's death is "Three Bullets in the Back"

As if where he was shot has anything at all to do with whether the shooting was justified.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

The new meme being bandied about LaVoy's death is "Three Bullets in the Back"

As if where he was shot has anything at all to do with whether the shooting was justified.

Or that we have footage of this, and it shows that this rear end in a top hat pretty much brought it on himself by raising his hands, going for his gun, raising his hands, and then going for his gun again. Who the gently caress do they think they're fooling? The retarded arrogance is astonishing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Or that we have footage of this, and it shows that this rear end in a top hat pretty much brought it on himself by raising his hands, going for his gun, raising his hands, and then going for his gun again. Who the gently caress do they think they're fooling? The retarded arrogance is astonishing.

Uh, but he was shot in the back, that is COWARDLY

also idiots are latching onto the bullets fired into the vehicle, and somewhat more stupidly latching onto the idea that they "kept firing at the vehicle with people inside" (when they were obviously using nonlethal methods).

The fact that police action on TV doesn't look like real life means that anything that doesn't look like TV must be a conspiracy.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, but he was shot in the back, that is COWARDLY

also idiots are latching onto the bullets fired into the vehicle, and somewhat more stupidly latching onto the idea that they "kept firing at the vehicle with people inside" (when they were obviously using nonlethal methods).

The fact that police action on TV doesn't look like real life means that anything that doesn't look like TV must be a conspiracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePiZIKGUdXA

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/707627079009841152

:getin:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

same

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I was mistaken. The rounds fired by the FBI agent(s) were not fired when the truck was approaching the barricade. Three rounds were fired at the truck (and hit it, but no occupants) as it approached, but were fired by the OSP. The two rounds in question were apparently fired around the time Finicum got out of the truck, one of which struck the roof and one of which missed completely.

Still not sure why they lied, if they did. Maybe they were negligent discharges (possibly from an automatic weapon, accounting for two shots poorly aimed?), maybe the FBI guys didn't trust that the inquiry was led by the Deschuttes county sheriff instead of the Feds, maybe they were intentionally fired but the FBI agent(s) thought they would be difficult to articulate under the Garner standard. Or maybe there's an explanation I'm not seeing. There is no reason I can think of to hide the shots, it seems very unlikely they would have burned the agent(s) had they been properly disclosed. I can understand the motivation to panic and lie initially, but you'd think by the time you get to the HRT you're smarter than that. This extraneous bullshit will muddy the waters when they really are quite clear.

Also, superseding indictment for Malheur:

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/other/2016/03/09/SUPERSEDINGINDICT3916.pdf

Gun possession in federal facility (5 years) charges for most everybody already indicted, use of firearms charges during commission of a crime for what appear to primarily leadership and the last holdouts (7 year mandatory minimum on top of other sentence) and theft charges for vehicles, equipment, and destruction of artifacts for a relatively small number of them (10 years max).

Additionally one more defendant has been indicted but name is unknown.

No telling whether this is the only superseding indictment or if others will come.

Includes new charges for several people currently out on bail. Will be interesting to see if any of them don't come forward to face arraignment.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Jesus Christ the foreperson needs to learn to write an 8

Does the length of the black box over MR BLANK's name indicate that he has a really short name or is that standard for censoring names in indictments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Going for the insanity plea huh?