Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I know that Google's been talking all about extering MOAR CONTROL!!!!, but if this deal ends up in Nexus devices with weirdo HTC-isms, for three full years, gently caress that.

It's some random post on Chinese Twitter, why are all of you taking this so seriously? Brb, tweeting that the Nexus line is dead and Android Silver is a thing, or that 2014 2015 would see a new Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, or that Apple and Google are merging and going to put Android on an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I want to believe in HTC again. If they are making a Nexus, Google would undoubtedly have a ton of control in terms of hardware and software. I would buy it, as long as it didn't (literally) burn a hole in my pocket (I'm looking at you, M9/M10)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You guys realize HTC made the Nexus 9, right?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Endless Mike posted:

You guys realize HTC made the Nexus 9, right?

I also want to believe that the N9 was a bastard child that nobody noticed while they focused on other poo poo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

logikv9 posted:

I want to believe in HTC again. If they are making a Nexus, Google would undoubtedly have a ton of control in terms of hardware and software. I would buy it, as long as it didn't (literally) burn a hole in my pocket (I'm looking at you, M9/M10)

Wait, does the M10 have the same problem (I thought it wasn't out yet so I'm surprised to see people like you and Anidav talking like it's already a known lemon)?

I got burned (not yet literally) on the M9 but it's the first HTC device I've owned - going back to the old Magic - without unreservedly loving it so I'm kind of hoping they get the M10 right and save me from having to decide where to jump ship to.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Moey posted:

I know this has been covered before, but I cannot keep up with the fast pace of this thread.

Where is the best place to sell a used phone? Looking to dump my Verizon Galaxy S6 soon.

Someone may have weighed in already, but I always recommend selling in SA Mart

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wait, does the M10 have the same problem (I thought it wasn't out yet so I'm surprised to see people like you and Anidav talking like it's already a known lemon)?

I got burned (not yet literally) on the M9 but it's the first HTC device I've owned - going back to the old Magic - without unreservedly loving it so I'm kind of hoping they get the M10 right and save me from having to decide where to jump ship to.

My mistake, I got my model names confused. I thought the M10 was already out and the M11 was next :psyduck:

Just the M8/M9. I think the M9 is the one with the thermal camera test that showed it actually cooking during a benchmark test (thermal throttling was turned off, though)

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The M10 pretty much looks like if Samsung and Apple had a baby so there's that, too. :v:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

This is the M10. No boom speakers, leaks say small rear end battery and a 13mp camera with 4gb of ram. Thing will heat up like a rocket.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My m8 is supposedly equivalent to the m9 because the m9 throttles so much at peak to prevent dangerous temperatures.

HTC provides timely security patches and marshmallow support when not associated with a carrier. You are also issued factory images to keep up to date that you can run by double clicking.

I think they will do fine working with google, but I will still probably hold out a little while until reports come out (or sales)
HTC flagships are also too expensive.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

HTC flagships are also ovens. I mean a battery less than 3000mah is stupid in 2016. The only phone of HTC with a bigger battery is the Butterfly 3 which is for Asia only but otherwise they go for 2700mah every time and get pounded by reviews claiming 2h screen on time and hand itching heat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Advertising is out of loving control.

http://m.androidcentral.com/atts-pre-installed-galaxy-s7-apps-are-more-annoying-ever

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

:wtc:

This is less Samsung and more AT&T; the S7 just has the dubious honor of being Most Popular Flagship Launch. Thank God I'm on T-Mobile; their S7 seems pretty much devoid of this poo poo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Man. Australian carriers never pull that poo poo. Why do American carriers try to bonzibuddy your flagships?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wasn't ATT the carrier that was loving with Nexus updates also?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ctually-matter/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Do 👏 not 👏 buy 👏 phones 👏 with 👏 carrier 👏 branding 👏

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

RZA Encryption posted:

Do 👏 not 👏 buy 👏 phones 👏 with 👏 carrier 👏 branding 👏

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wasn't ATT the carrier that was loving with Nexus updates also?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ctually-matter/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

None of this is going to change without regulation. Service providers should be forbidden from selling hardware and phones should be mandated to work on all networks with all features now that we have the tech to do it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Not wanting to sound all gotcha or smug or anything; but if Samsung can't sell a given device at a given price point it's their problem, and not mine the consumer. So even if I paid the RRP for the hardware - transaction complete! - my phone's now farting ads at me because that wasn't enough somehow? Yeah you can turn them off, but hold on let's think about why they think it's acceptable and necessary to start farting ads at me.

It's your problem to the extent that the ecosystem is in such poor health that it requires these intrusions to make manufacturing the devices a worthwhile endeavor. The iPhone solidly occupies the high-end where margins allow for a good experience for the user and if you're not willing to go that route, then you're forced to use commodity devices at the low end. The important thing to remember is that you aren't the customer, you're the user. The carrier is the customer.

nimper posted:

You'd think that with Samsung's market share they could afford to tell the carriers to shove it when it comes to this shovelware. They follow Apple's lead on everything else, why not here?

Again, the carrier is their customer. Why would they tell their customer to gently caress off? Way better to inconvenience users because users are dumb and have no power.

RZA Encryption posted:

The nexus one was incredible. I want modern guts in that case, drop the trackball, micro sd slot, and make the battery non-removeable.

I loved my Nexus One so much but let's be real, the trackball was so beautiful.

Daily Forecast posted:

Well see that was your mistake, wasn't it?

Not a mistake I've made, I'm not a gamer so I have no reason to own a Windows PC. It doesn't change the fact that there are ads in the music player and weather app, and it doesn't change the fact that by default it shits ads all over the user.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not comparable to the egregious poo poo going on with the s7. Also, the monthly security updates were very prompt, even if the major releases lagged. "Buy your phones from the company that made them" is still a valid thing to say, right up there with "Don't finance your cell phone".

boz
Oct 16, 2005
My AT and T devil carrier branded S7 Edge came in the mail today. I disabled that ad notification, played around with the phone, and then went to the gas station down the street and used Samsung Pay to buy some Starburst on their ancient card reader.

It was fun, can't wait to do it again.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
And now, onto things that actually matter, if there's anything that'll make me cancel my S7 preorder it's this:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Galaxy-S7-fetches-inferior-battery-life-than-the-S6-despite-much-larger-cell_id79010

Battery life is something everyone should care about, and two sites are claiming that this phone gets worse battery life than the S6 despite a bigger battery.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

And now, onto things that actually matter, if there's anything that'll make me cancel my S7 preorder it's this:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-Galaxy-S7-fetches-inferior-battery-life-than-the-S6-despite-much-larger-cell_id79010

Battery life is something everyone should care about, and two sites are claiming that this phone gets worse battery life than the S6 despite a bigger battery.

Wow it's almost like Samsung doesn't make good products.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Daily Forecast posted:

Given that their graph shows the S6 having among the best battery life out there, I'm going to hazard a guess that it has at least something to do with the methodology of their test as much as anything. Most other sites are reporting significantly better battery life than the S6.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

sethsez posted:

Given that their graph shows the S6 having among the best battery life out there, I'm going to hazard a guess that it has at least something to do with the methodology of their test as much as anything. Most other sites are reporting significantly better battery life than the S6.

Fair enough, guess I'll see for myself.

"terchwerz :downs:" doesn't bother me, but poor battery life very much does.

According to the comments of the previous page I linked, that's pretty much exactly how it is; http://www.anandtech.com/show/10120/the-samsung-galaxy-s7-review/2 says apparently it's really great, better than 6S Plus (wait nevermind I guess that's the Edge. Still pretty good though). I guess nevermind!

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 9, 2016

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Anecdotally, my dad got an S7 and after about 12 hours of light use (netflix, checking the weather, about an hour cumulatively of calls, etc) the phone was still at 40%. It also charges super fast. I find the results of that test very odd, and wonder what they had to do to get that result.

edit: also this was with the always on display thing turned on. That thing really must not suck any battery.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I just got my AT&T variant S7 edge and I'm wondering if they've changed the way they report network type? Does anyone else have an AT&T S7 and does it also just say 4g even when it seems to be connected to LTE?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ochowie posted:

I just got my AT&T variant S7 edge and I'm wondering if they've changed the way they report network type? Does anyone else have an AT&T S7 and does it also just say 4g even when it seems to be connected to LTE?

There's been a lot of phones where it'll say 4G for both 4G and LTE. Weird but whatever.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

There's been a lot of phones where it'll say 4G for both 4G and LTE. Weird but whatever.

Is this the case with the s7? The system status seems to indicate it's on LTE but it seems strange.

Also, on another issue, has anyone been able to activate Samsung Pay on the s7? Whenever I click on the stub it tries to download but fails. I've only found one comment on it where someone called and got told it won't work until the 11th (which kind of makes sense) but I wanted to get confirmation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

4G and LTE are different connection levels on my N6 and Note 5. When I was in New Zealand on their carriers, I only got 4G and not LTE, but back here I get LTE and no 4G, so I'm honestly not sure what the difference is.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ochowie posted:

Is this the case with the s7? The system status seems to indicate it's on LTE but it seems strange.

Also, on another issue, has anyone been able to activate Samsung Pay on the s7? Whenever I click on the stub it tries to download but fails. I've only found one comment on it where someone called and got told it won't work until the 11th (which kind of makes sense) but I wanted to get confirmation.

Why does it make sense that your phone has what looks like an app, but is actually a broken download link that will be broken for days?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Why does it make sense that your phone has what looks like an app, but is actually a broken download link that will be broken for days?

I guess I was giving them the benefit of the doubt but I guess you're right. If they weren't ready for people to activate the phone/service they should have controlled the preorder process better.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ochowie posted:

I guess I was giving them the benefit of the doubt but I guess you're right. If they weren't ready for people to activate the phone/service they should have controlled the preorder process better.

Are you on T-Mobile? They're the ones jumping the gun and sending it ahead of schedule.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Are you on T-Mobile? They're the ones jumping the gun and sending it ahead of schedule.

No I'm on AT&T. Best Buy sent all of their preorders yesterday and I received mine today.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ochowie posted:

No I'm on AT&T. Best Buy sent all of their preorders yesterday and I received mine today.

Oh, right, so you said above. Honestly I don't think it's super fair to rag on Samsung for something they didn't expect to have to have until the phone was actually, like, out. Maybe some bullshit security reason?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AT&T: Not Even Once.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

AT&T: Not Even Once.

AT&T is actually a decent carrier as far as coverage and speeds go. But LOL if you buy your phone from them.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I've been insulated from AT&T because my recent phones have been either iPhones or Nexus devices. Honestly though, I'm not going to Sprint or TMobile and is Verizon really better?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ochowie posted:

I've been insulated from AT&T because my recent phones have been either iPhones or Nexus devices. Honestly though, I'm not going to Sprint or TMobile and is Verizon really better?

Google Fi, Brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

CLAM DOWN posted:

4G and LTE are different connection levels on my N6 and Note 5. When I was in New Zealand on their carriers, I only got 4G and not LTE, but back here I get LTE and no 4G, so I'm honestly not sure what the difference is.

I have no idea what the definitions of 4G and LTE are where you are, but here in Norway (and I guess other parts of Europe), 4G is literally LTE. And LTE-A is called 4G+. Some phones will show either/or and some will show the difference between 4G and 4G+, while others, like the iPhone 6S and I guess newer Samsung devices only show 4G as long as they have either LTE or LTE-A.

Edit: Considering a new phone in a couple months: anybody have thoughts on the rumored Huawei P9?