Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Because it's cur-tailed.

Man, that was a good goddamn joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The below edition of The Wine Dark Sea has an audio interview with Patrick O'Brian in it. Just a few minutes of fluff but still interesting, I wouldn't buy it just for the interview but if your library has it and your curious then have fun.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/The-Wine-Dark-Sea-Audiobook/B002V1A268

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Welp, just finished #21 and I'm bummed.

Read all of them straight through and will come back for another read through after I work on my back log.

Best book series of all time. Gonna miss my sailing bros.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

CowboyKid posted:

Read all of them straight through and will come back for another read through after I work on my back log.

I also read them straight through and felt the same. Could anyone recommend a series that has the same kind of feel to it?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Hogge Wild posted:

I also read them straight through and felt the same. Could anyone recommend a series that has the same kind of feel to it?

Sharpe.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

In what order?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Hogge Wild posted:

it's called a re-read. :sigh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hogge Wild posted:

In what order?

Read Sharpe in internal chronological order, not publication order, IMHO. The author planned the series out first then wrote them out of sequence based on what he thought would sell.

I don't think it's quite as good as Aubrey/Maturin but its on the same level at least.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CowboyKid posted:

I haven't read #21 yet and I'm not sure I'm going to.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Has anyone "read" Sharpe as audiobooks? And if so, which narrator would you recommend?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Read Sharpe in internal chronological order, not publication order, IMHO. The author planned the series out first then wrote them out of sequence based on what he thought would sell.

I don't think it's quite as good as Aubrey/Maturin but its on the same level at least.

Ok.

Your post also reminded me of the Book of the month thread. I'm listening to a history book atm, but after that I'll try the Anabasis.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hogge Wild posted:

Has anyone "read" Sharpe as audiobooks? And if so, which narrator would you recommend?

Ok.

Your post also reminded me of the Book of the month thread. I'm listening to a history book atm, but after that I'll try the Anabasis.

Definitely in internal chronological order, like HA said.

For a narrator, they can be hit or miss, and I don't think there's on narrator who has read all of them. William Gaminara was the best of them, I think.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I read Sharpe's Tiger and enjoyed it, but the ebook edition is probably one of the most typo ridden ebooks, not to mention all the formatting errors, I've ever come across: I haven't bothered continuing the series. I imagine they just OCR'd it and never had anyone proofread before pushing it out. Conversely the Aubrey/Maturin ebooks are very good, with very few errors - there were a few times I thought I caught a typo, only to discover it was some obscure word choice by OBrian.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Saw this tonight which makes me reconsider my "no bumper stickers ever" rule.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CowboyKid posted:

If it helps, you'll find new things every time you re-read the series. I'm on my fifth re-read and find new layers to my favorite characters in every book.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If it helps, you'll find new things every time you re-read the series. I'm on my fifth re-read and find new layers to my favorite characters in every book.

I re-read them about every other year. I'm still learning from them. Each re-read teaches you how to read it the next time.

This is always a good read when you close the covers, though:

http://www.tor.com/2011/02/28/forever-bailing-patrick-obrians-last-unfinished-novel-and-the-end-of-the-aubrey-matrurin-series/

quote:

We don’t need a conclusion or a culmination or any of the things we’d like in an ordinary series, it is enough that they are forever bailing. There will always be oceans. Stephen will always be causing Jack to almost miss his tide, and Jack will always be saying hurtful things about the Pope, and there will be nondescript birds and strange sails on the horizon, and gun practice, and music on calm evenings, and Killick muttering over the toasted cheese, until they all come to Avalon, by way of Valparaiso Bay.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 10, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm reading Post Captain after finishing Master and Commander a week or so ago. Jack and Stephen's Countryside unadventures were kind of interesting, but now things are finally getting set into motion and...

What o, the Bear! Can he dance, mate? :haw: This is the best/worst disguise/plan ever

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The Thirteen Gun Salute posted:

But Muong did not really approve of this frequentation, and gradually it was borne in upon him that she thought the children tiresome, and the young mothers rather discreditable, even common.

This works on so many levels.

First the thought of a snobby orangutan is hilarious. But it's also an interesting insight into Steven and how he reads class motives into everything, a product of his time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Maturin is pretty conflicted when it comes to class.

His father's father is, very likely a duke and his mothers family is of similar standing in Spain, though not as clearly referenced.

But, he's a bastard and so gains none of that instant deference that would be his due if he were the result of a recognized union.

But, his families connections and influence gave him one of the best educations possible and also access to the highest level people for clandestine meetings.

But, he has a strong sympathy for the french revolutionary ideas.

But he is a friend of the English royal family.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 24, 2016

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
I'm halfway through The Terror by Dan Simmons and while it's a different kind of story from the 1840's, there are a ton of obvious nods to o'Brian.

Definitely worth the read so far.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

CowboyKid posted:

I'm halfway through The Terror by Dan Simmons and while it's a different kind of story from the 1840's, there are a ton of obvious nods to o'Brian.

Definitely worth the read so far.

Simmons certainly did his research, perhaps too well. That book is in dire need of editing.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Simmons certainly did his research, perhaps too well. That book is in dire need of editing.

Also would have been better without the monster. The environment was a far more compelling antagonist.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Also would have been better if it wasn't written by Dan Simmons

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mallamp posted:

Also would have been better if it wasn't written by Dan Simmons

Well, at least he could limit himself to just a few snide remarks about gays instead going full-out crazy like his usual style after 9/11 and around writing Illum. His best book in the last 15 years as far as I can tell (haven't read much of his later stuff because of his gleeful jump over the edge admittedly).

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Someone mentioned this wonderful detail on Facebook earlier.

The Fortune of War posted:

On the gundeck Captain Broke was also concerned for Diana Villiers. He said to his first lieutenant, a tall, round-headed man, rather deaf, who bent anxiously to catch his words, ‘Mr Watt, it occurs to me that at quarters this evening, we should not make a clean sweep fore and aft. The lady in the master’s cabin must not be disturbed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bondetamp posted:

Someone mentioned this wonderful detail on Facebook earlier.

I don't get it. The description of George Watt 1st of the Shannon? Or that Diana was using the Masters cabin? Or that Phillip Broke drilled his crew on gunnery relentlessly?

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Murgos posted:

I don't get it. The description of George Watt 1st of the Shannon? Or that Diana was using the Masters cabin? Or that Phillip Broke drilled his crew on gunnery relentlessly?

A rather deaf man named Watt. :v:

bondetamp fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 14, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bondetamp posted:

Oh niiiiice

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

bondetamp posted:

But his name actually was Watt? That's the actual First Lieutenant from the Shannon. I guess I'm not seeing the joke.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought that the joke was they they thought that dismantling her cabin would be a disturbance, but then they are going to fire off all of the cannons a bunch of times anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't think there's a joke and people are just reading in to it too much.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

I don't think there's a joke and people are just reading in to it too much.

Yeah, the interesting thing would be if that's an accurate description of Watt from some 200 year old source that O'Brian just casually throws in about someone who is only even slightly relevant to this particular story.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

withak posted:

I thought that the joke was they they thought that dismantling her cabin would be a disturbance, but then they are going to fire off all of the cannons a bunch of times anyway.

I always liked the carpenter and his mates hammering away at something while Stephen is trying to sleep, and whispering to each other between hammer blows.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

withak posted:

Oh huh I get it now. Was wondering what the joke was.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm hoping to start a home project and I was wondering if anyone had a resource/ could give me some detailed descriptions of how the Sophie, Polychrest, and Surprise were painted (I'll start with those, may need more later).

Google Images gives me several different schemes for each ship, I'd like to be book-accurate

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Many times in the books they reference the Nelson chequer:

"the Nelson chequer, in Jack Aubrey's opinion the only pattern for a man-of-war"
-Nutmeg of Consolation

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sopie was painted blue or something to disguise itself as a merchant, Surprise was painted pink once?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup, Jack would always have his ships painted the Nelson chequer, unless they were up to some shenanigans. Although I believe after 1805 it was called the Nelson Exchequer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wouldn't be able to do the cheque, however iirc Sophie was black with a white stripe, c/d?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Yup, Jack would always have his ships painted the Nelson chequer, unless they were up to some shenanigans. Although I believe after 1805 it was called the Nelson Exchequer.

Very good, Stephen!

E: Although Jack probably would not have appreciated it.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

I wouldn't be able to do the cheque, however iirc Sophie was black with a white stripe, c/d?

is it for a spaceship?