Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just tried watching the new Crouching Tiger.

Utter garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ProfessorProf posted:

Hey, thread. I'm looking for Netflix/Amazon streaming classic kung fu!

There's a lot of movies I'm interested in seeing - Police Story, One Armed Swordsman, Dragons Forever - but I can't find any of them streaming online. I just saw and adored The Legend of Fong Sai-Yuk, so anything else along similar lines is a plus - erring a bit older and a bit goofier, but still with great fight scenes.

The Shout! blu-ray for Police Story I and II is pretty good.

Police Story looks like poo poo, but it's not what Shout did, it's just that the film looks like it's in rough shape. But they're both complete versions instead of the edited versions we got in America. Police Story I is the complete HK version, and Police Story II is the complete Japanese version with the original HK outtakes at the end.

I'm curious how Supercop compares to Police Story III, since it seems like the HK blu-ray has english subtitles.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Utter garbage.

I like the stealth fight scene between Snow Vase and Wei Feng when he tries to steal the sword.

And the tavern fight scene even though it feels like it was lifted from a completely different movie.

And parts of the fight-scene-on-ice.

Everything stringing those points together was trash.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Watch 5 Element Ninjas.

Everyone should follow this advice.

Chas McGill posted:

Utter garbage.

God drat. I wasn't expecting it to be too good but it was reeeeaaaaally bad. Like unbelievably uninteresting both to watch and the story was pretty pointless. Jason Scott Lee is cool but is given almost nothing to do as the film's villain. Unlike the first movie's characters he's just this really stereotypical evil guy that's gonna rule the martial world by killing everyone because...

I mean I know that's the plot for a ton of martial arts films and that's fine but not when everything is shot and scored in this ponderous THIS IS THE MOST SERIOUS AND IMPORTANT STORY EVER way even for some of the weakest action.

They got Michelle Yeoh back for this but the way Donnie Yen's character and her interact and their back story is pretty dumb, even by being stubborn because honor wushu flick standards their relationship gets very tedious.

There's a lot of CG in the movie, generally it's used to good effect, just for establishing shots of which city they're in and that kind of thing, but now and then it's used in some elements of the fighting and it just looks awful. Part of this is because of the film's look. Everything is really drab and the CG stuff like chunks of ice someone is breaking stand out a lot more because of it. It just reminded me of how much more awesome good editing looks when Master Wu is like POWERFUL HAND GESTURE and lifts up and throws a chunk of the earth in Swordsman II: Asia the Invincible.

The "Sword of Destiny" in the subtitle of course refers to the legendary Green Destiny sword Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat pursue throughout the first film. But here it, uh, doesn't get used at all until the very end of the movie and isn't more or less capable of than anything else we see. This was kind of interesting to me as both movies are adapted from a five book series from the 30s. They cover events from books four and five respectively, but there's a huge time gap between them that makes it very obvious Michelle Yeoh's character is there just because they were able to get her back and needed to fit her in somehow, and then we have situations and characters that have no meaning because the didn't appear in the previous movie.

The story is like a passing of the torch, old stuff from the past catching up with you, honor no longer exists in this lovely violent world story but the movie really fails to get all of that across in any way more interesting than Return to the 36th Chamber or whatever. And that's cool but not when the film's tone is so generally serious and when there's such a lack of adventure. The dourness of this flick makes The Dark Knight look like Batman and Robin, it's crazy.

My favorite part of the movie is the five characters introduced in the pub fight and the pub fight itself but then the coolest one gets clowned and killed off very early and the rest basically have nothing to do for the rest of the film. The stealth fight over the sword early on in the movie is fun too.

Also the film takes the The Crow: City of Angels / Ravage 2099 approach to plot exposition where its villain stay at the top of the tower for 90% of the movie while his blind seer magician woman prophesizes about stuff we already know is going to happen or just saw happen.

Basically stay away, it's insane to me that this movie even got made. Reading more about it it was supposedly going to be a bigger deal and get a theatrical release while being on Netflix as well but had a ton of delays and less $$$ to make it with, and by the time it was finished no theaters wanted to carry it. Can't blame them.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 7, 2016

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I've been lurking in this thread since it started, and goddamn has it opened my eyes to a lot of amazing cinema. Over the past week I've been watching all the Shaw Brothers movies that are currently on Netflix. Tonight, Netflix decides it doesn't want to display the subs for Five Deadly Venoms. Did the same thing for 5 Elements Ninjas, too. Has anyone else run into this? I'm watching through a home theater system, not my computer.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Watched Return to the 36 Chambers today. It was pretty good- it's interesting the ways in which it was a response to or subversion of the original, while at the same time not being a sequel, really (at the very least, the temple is not the same temple).

For instance, it was clever the way in which the film gives you a false lead by showing you all of these hardships and training regimens that the protagonist, in fact, will be barred from ever encountering. More interesting, though, is the way in which the movie equates work with militancy. As a plot which concerns itself with bringing to justice extortionate bosses at a garment factory, Return is a Marxist film on its face, which is kind of odd; my understanding, limited though it is, is that the Shaw Brothers were typically anti-Party in sentiment, often using the Qing dynasty and the Manchu as a stand-in for the PRC.

Return picks up on an odd facet of the imagery of its predecessor, which is that the training devices of the Shaolin temple appear oddly advanced and mechanized, even as effort is made to make them appear antiquated. Return extends this mechanization to industrialization; the Shaolin temple is a factory which produces revolutionary heroes. But the protagonist's journey is a different one. His relationship to labor is not metaphorical, but literal, as he struggles to build scaffolding around the temple while observing the students in training. He is barred from martial training, but has learned to fight and resist in his own way. (It's funny, the way in which the hero's progression as a fighter is mapped- it's curious to see him dodging all of these attacks by the abbot of the temple, but it could just be written off as the flourish and embellishment of a martial arts film. Later, when he displays the skills he's inadvertently learned to his peers, it comes into clearer focus that just because you can only hold your ground against a legendary Shaolin master doesn't mean you haven't become an incredible fighter.) When the protagonist overthrows the Manchu bosses, it's by a very real possession of the means of production: fighting with bamboo scaffolding, binding and lashing them with the cables he used to tie the scaffold, blinding them with powdered dye, etc.

Probably the weirdest part, though, is that early in the film, the factory boss displays his martial prowess with something that happens to be at hand, a bench, lifting it with one foot, twirling it around and posing on it. Later, at the end of the film, it's made evident that this was not, in fact, an impromptu display, but rather that the bosses' gang have all mastered fighting with benches.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is the Lady Snowblood sequel worth watching? Both films are up on Netflix and I've seen the first film - which I liked a whole of a lot. But I've never knew it had a sequel. Has a bunch of Kurosawa and Zatoichi films up there too - all from the Criterion collection. Saw Throne of Blood last night - amazing film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The worst thing about CTHD is how the bad guy is built up in hush tones, then just loses a three minute fight and dies. He does nothing scary, he's not a direct, or even indirect threat for 99% of the movie, but we keep getting told he's a badass. Then he shows up and loses.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Is the Lady Snowblood sequel worth watching? Both films are up on Netflix and I've seen the first film - which I liked a whole of a lot. But I've never knew it had a sequel. Has a bunch of Kurosawa and Zatoichi films up there too - all from the Criterion collection. Saw Throne of Blood last night - amazing film.

The sequel is bad. Watch it if you are curious and have nothing else to do but it's no where near as good as the first movie

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Anybody see Ip Man 3 yet?

I saw it a few months ago. I liked it, not as good as Ip Man but certainly worth watching if you've seen the other 2.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Probably the weirdest part, though, is that early in the film, the factory boss displays his martial prowess with something that happens to be at hand, a bench, lifting it with one foot, twirling it around and posing on it. Later, at the end of the film, it's made evident that this was not, in fact, an impromptu display, but rather that the bosses' gang have all mastered fighting with benches.
Is it weird or was it to show that the ruling classes' strengths were in skills you employ 'from the bench' (i.e. sitting on your rear end, like using rule of law to lord it over people, etc etc) as opposed to labor.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember if we had this conversation in here already, but are there any action-comedy Jackie Chan-style flims starring women fighters? My oldest daughter asked me the other day if there were movies where girls fight and go on adventures, and aside from something like Lady Snowblood (which she's totally not ready for), I drew a blank.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I can't remember if we had this conversation in here already, but are there any action-comedy Jackie Chan-style flims starring women fighters? My oldest daughter asked me the other day if there were movies where girls fight and go on adventures, and aside from something like Lady Snowblood (which she's totally not ready for), I drew a blank.

Wing Chun (1994)

Pretty kid-friendly too, aside from one scene where the protagonists give each other orgasms via foot massage. But if she's not a teenager the innuendo-y parts will probably go way over her head.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 19, 2016

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

How old is she?

Chocolate and This Girl is Badass (I think that's the title) are two Chan inspired movies with a female protagonist but they're both probably too violent/adult.

Can't think of anything - I'd be interested to know if any movies like this exist. I asked earlier in the thread about female protagonist films but none of those recommended to me are kid friendly.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 19, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Crouching tiger hidden dragon?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A tv or early VHS cut of The Heroic Trio since it's a hilarious film but also has a scene where an infant gets stabbed in the head with a nail and another scene where the heroes shoot and blow up a large group of screaming infants.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I googled around and found this list, which seems to lean mostly on Shaw Bros. I haven't seen a lot of these (Come Drink With Me is really the only one I'm familiar with off the list) and some of them are really obviously inappropriate, but some of them might be worth a look?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Is this the one with the fight in the butchery because I'll never forget what she does to that one dude and any of you that have seen that movie know exactly what I'm talking about

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Police Story 3: Supercop.
A Touch of Zen
Lady Whirlwind

There is that other one with I think 7 women that's well known, at the climax they all climb together and fight in formation, can't remember the name.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Holy Weapon

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Can't go wrong with Moon Lee:

Killer Angels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFBEwAxD47c
Angel Terminators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZBfUUNAHL4

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I liked Moon Lee best in the Iron Angels series, especially with her facing off against Yukari Oshima in the first movie which is straight up the most brutal woman on woman fight I've yet seen in a HK action movie.

As far as female leads in kung fu features go, you really cannot at all go wrong with watching films starring Pei Pei Cheng or Angela Mao. Although keep in mind these movies, while older, are exceptionally brutal. Take for instance this sequence from the film in which Ms. Cheng bounces into a gang of bad guys, calls out which body parts she will remove from three dudes she cuts in the face, then proceeds to take off those body parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyI1YSlhjX4 Be warned. Holy Weapon will be a full on assault to your sanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVi8y0_s2s

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 20, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neo Rasa posted:

A tv or early VHS cut of The Heroic Trio since it's a hilarious film but also has a scene where an infant gets stabbed in the head with a nail and another scene where the heroes shoot and blow up a large group of screaming infants.

I think the Miramax DVD is edited but I can't remember if it gets everything. I definitely remember that the "blowing up kids with dynamite" scene is shortened by a whole bunch.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The OP was asking for lighthearted films to watch with his daughter, who is a child. Jesus Christ guys.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The OP was asking for lighthearted films to watch with his daughter, who is a child. Jesus Christ guys.

Heh, which may not really be a thing, which is why I asked.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Just watch Wing Chun. It's great. In fact, a lot of Michelle Yeoh movies are probably in line with what you're looking for.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 20, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Yeah, I hadn't ever really thought about it but there really aren't any Jackie Chan-style action comedies starring women. Anita Mui gets some shots in in Legend of Drunken Master but she spends more time channeling Lucille Ball.

That's pretty sad, because it's a cool idea.

Edit: ^^^ yeah, Wing Chun is about the closest thing. It's on Netflix right now. The cover isn't right but it's the right movie.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 20, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

G-III posted:

I liked Moon Lee best in the Iron Angels series, especially with her facing off against Yukari Oshima in the first movie which is straight up the most brutal woman on woman fight I've yet seen in a HK action movie.

As far as female leads in kung fu features go, you really cannot at all go wrong with watching films starring Pei Pei Cheng or Angela Mao. Although keep in mind these movies, while older, are exceptionally brutal. Take for instance this sequence from the film in which Ms. Cheng bounces into a gang of bad guys, calls out which body parts she will remove from three dudes she cuts in the face, then proceeds to take off those body parts.

Category III baby.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just watch Wing Chun. It's great. In fact, a lot of Michelle Yeoh movies are probably in line with what you're looking for.

I'll check it out. It's on my Netflix list anyway.

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I hadn't ever really thought about it but there really aren't any Jackie Chan-style action comedies starring women. Anita Mui gets some shots in in Legend of Drunken Master but she spends more time channeling Lucille Ball.

Edit: ^^^ yeah, Wing Chun is about the closest thing. It's on Netflix right now. The cover isn't right but it's the right movie.

I would watch a movie about a kickass lady Kung-Fu master who is both dangerous and as clinically ditzy as Lucille Ball, because that sounds hilarious and a good setup for both action and slapstick/physical comedy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I'd recommend The Legend I and II. They're Jet Li vehicles, but do involve quite a bit of his mom (Josephine Siao, who's great) beating people up.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Yeah sadly it really doesn't. Outside of a handful of Michelle Yeoh movies, the best you can get away with is Kar Leung's "My Young Auntie" with Kara Hui.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVeO7WvMAM

Everything else is basically going to have these ladies brutally wrecking dudes and leaving fields of bodies on the ground. Hell even "Lady Whirlwind" with Angela Mao is basically all about her character going around and beating men to death with her bare fists.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 20, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'd recommend The Legend I and II. They're Jet Li vehicles, but do involve quite a bit of his mom (Josephine Siao, who's great) beating people up.

A/K/A Fong Sai Yuk 1 &2

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
There's that movie where Gordon Liu marries a ninja. It has a strong female lead and as far as I know, no one dies horribly. It's still mostly a Gordon Liu movie though, and Gordon is a snore to watch in action as always. Yoga and the Kung Fu Girl is also a chan-style kung fu comedy with a female lead, but it's kind of terrible.

Honestly the stuff that popped into my head (other than Wing Chun) were Heroic Trio, Holy Weapon, and Angel Terminators, but all of those have some pretty out-there themes going on. For whatever reason, Angel Terminators II is significantly less dark in subject matter than the first film.

Also I love the suggestion about Kung Fu moms. Fong Sai Yuk's mom and Wong Fei Hung's mom (in Drunken Master 2) are wonderful characters.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I'll check it out. It's on my Netflix list anyway.

I would watch a movie about a kickass lady Kung-Fu master who is both dangerous and as clinically ditzy as Lucille Ball, because that sounds hilarious and a good setup for both action and slapstick/physical comedy.
Kung Fu Hustle with Stephen Chow kind of fits that bill ( Yuen Qiu), some scary parts but its pretty comic booky for the most part, lots of CG. Also Shaolin Kung Fu to a lesser extent.

Also my kids loved Kids from Shaolin (which you can find on Youtube) and features little girls of all ages doing some kickass kung fu (all the actors were members of Jet Li's wushu school so its all legit, too). I would third Supercop 3 with Michelle Yeoh. I'm wondering if any of the Cynthia Rothrock movies might be appropriate (Millionaire's Express?) Raging Phoenix maybe (haven't seen it but its typical martial arts violence).

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oracle posted:

Kung Fu Hustle with Stephen Chow kind of fits that bill ( Yuen Qiu), some scary parts but its pretty comic booky for the most part, lots of CG. Also Shaolin Kung Fu to a lesser extent.

Also my kids loved Kids from Shaolin (which you can find on Youtube) and features little girls of all ages doing some kickass kung fu (all the actors were members of Jet Li's wushu school so its all legit, too). I would third Supercop 3 with Michelle Yeoh. I'm wondering if any of the Cynthia Rothrock movies might be appropriate (Millionaire's Express?) Raging Phoenix maybe (haven't seen it but its typical martial arts violence).

Wait, Kids from Shaolin? I've never heard of it, but that sounds right up her alley. She's six, but she watches Batman (both Brave and Bold and the old B:tAM), the new TMNT cartoon, and the Powerpuff Girls. She's also into Squirrel Girl and Teen Titans, so it's not like she's never seen a comic-booky fight before.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wait, Kids from Shaolin? I've never heard of it, but that sounds right up her alley. She's six, but she watches Batman (both Brave and Bold and the old B:tAM), the new TMNT cartoon, and the Powerpuff Girls. She's also into Squirrel Girl and Teen Titans, so it's not like she's never seen a comic-booky fight before.
Yep, six was the same age my oldest was when he watched it. And you've never heard of it because its not really well known. It was Jet Li's second movie (first being the Shaolin Temple one that everybody and their brother knows). The others (except maybe Shaolin Soccer) might be a bit too intense for her though.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oracle posted:

Yep, six was the same age my oldest was when he watched it. And you've never heard of it because its not really well known. It was Jet Li's second movie (first being the Shaolin Temple one that everybody and their brother knows). The others (except maybe Shaolin Soccer) might be a bit too intense for her though.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been watching (or at least trying to watch) one Kung-Fu/Wushu movie a night all this month, so I'll add it to the list to check out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm looking for more ludicrous fight sequences like this one from Holy Weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVi8y0_s2s

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm looking for more ludicrous fight sequences like this one from Holy Weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVi8y0_s2s

Deadful Melody is what you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F542CJFAIwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cchea82TWg0

And after seeing a baby get bull-whipped out of a movie with efficient speed you should watch "Flying Dagger" for something a little more light hearted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bAWBZB8kjc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Guys, I just finished God of Cookery. What... what the gently caress did I just watch?