Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sometimes I wish I had thought, back when #1 son was born, to start a simple log where I simply made a mark each time I washed a child's rear end. Seven and a half years and two more boys later, I catch myself wondering how many times I've done that by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Gabriel went to nicu this morning because he can't stabilize his blood sugar :( mom's a type 2 diabetic so yeah. I miss him already but trying to keep a positive outlook. :sigh:

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

Gabriel went to nicu this morning because he can't stabilize his blood sugar :( mom's a type 2 diabetic so yeah. I miss him already but trying to keep a positive outlook. :sigh:

Poor little one! Hopefully it will just be a short stay and he'll get the hang of stabilizing his blood sugar quickly. It's hard being separated from them. When ours was under the lights for jaundice, he would cry like he was hungry to trick the nurses into bringing him back to us.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This morning when I dropped off my kids at daycare I had one of those awesome parental moments you get sometimes.

We have this routine where the boys hand me their pacifiers as I leave them. Because we're weaning them off them, so they only get to have them when they sleep at daycare. And every morning David always cries after he hands it over (he stops after I leave I am told). This morning was the same, but then Daniel comes over and hugs him and puts his arm over his shoulders and leads him away to the play room and he stops crying :)

He's definitely the older brother, even though it's only by 7 minutes.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
I haven't posted here in quite awhile but here goes. I've got a little goon who is 10 months old today. He's a mommas boy, big time. I work outside the home, his daddy stays home with him...so when I get home, it's all about mommy until he goes to sleep for the night. Thursday night, I was having a lot of abdominal pain and ended up going to the ER. Surprise...gallstones. Gallstones that escaped the gallbladder and got stuck in 3 different ducts, causing inflammation in not only the gallbladder but pancreas and liver as well. Had surgery, I'm on the mend. Since the hospital I ended up at is an hour away, Little Goon spent 2 days at grandmas. Now that I'm home, if I put him down, he screams...to the point that my downstairs neighbors came up and asked if he was hurt. Like I said, he's only 10 months so I can't really reason with him, and picking him up/holding him really is uncomfortable at best and nauseatingly painful at worst. Halp?! He wants nothing to do with Daddy or his sister and there's not enough Norco in the world to keep this up.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Absolute Evil posted:

I haven't posted here in quite awhile but here goes. I've got a little goon who is 10 months old today. He's a mommas boy, big time. I work outside the home, his daddy stays home with him...so when I get home, it's all about mommy until he goes to sleep for the night. Thursday night, I was having a lot of abdominal pain and ended up going to the ER. Surprise...gallstones. Gallstones that escaped the gallbladder and got stuck in 3 different ducts, causing inflammation in not only the gallbladder but pancreas and liver as well. Had surgery, I'm on the mend. Since the hospital I ended up at is an hour away, Little Goon spent 2 days at grandmas. Now that I'm home, if I put him down, he screams...to the point that my downstairs neighbors came up and asked if he was hurt. Like I said, he's only 10 months so I can't really reason with him, and picking him up/holding him really is uncomfortable at best and nauseatingly painful at worst. Halp?! He wants nothing to do with Daddy or his sister and there's not enough Norco in the world to keep this up.

That sounds awful! Glad you are okay, but I'm sure the little one crying is breaking your heart. We went through something similar when I had wrist surgery and are about to embark on no playing with/climbing on Dada for a month when he has surgery on Thursday. It's not easy. What worked before was telling him Mummy had an ouch and he could sit next to mummy (on the side with the good wrist). That way he was getting snuggles, even if it wasn't being held like he wanted. He was 12 months then and adapted after a few days. Now he's almost 2 and very stubborn so we set up a recovery room and plan to just tell him Dada's at work during the day (sometimes he works from home in the same room). We'll do short visits with Dada to limit the chance of him hurting him. Do you have another room you can go into? Maybe have Dad take the kids out of the house during the day so that you can get some rest and recovery time.

At 10 months, they understand a lot more than we realize. Don't be afraid to talk to him. Tell him you love him and wish you could hold him. Tell him you have an ouch or boo boo or whatever word you normally use for that. Then tell him what he can do (you can sit next to me or I can hold your hand/rub your back). If the sister is older then have her demonstrate what he/you can do (Look how sis is sitting next to Momma. Do you want to sit next to Momma?). Just keep trying. He'll get it. If you shouldn't be picking him up or holding him then you should try to not do so, because every time you do when he cries you are reinforcing that screaming will get him what he wants, and unfortunately you really can't do that right now. He'll settle down much faster if you are consistent with the you can sit next to Momma rule. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. Once he realizes this is the new normal for now he will settle down. Kids aren't always happy about changes, especially sudden changes, but they are incredibly adaptable. Good luck with your recovery!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So 18 month old is officially not allergic to cow's milk anymore and has a waning allergy to eggs which should be gone in a year or two!

Unfortunately she developed a peanut allergy. Goddamnit :(. It's very mild so far and hopefully she'll grow out of it (even though I know they don't often grow out of it but the allergist is hopeful given how mild it is).

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BonoMan posted:

So 18 month old is officially not allergic to cow's milk anymore and has a waning allergy to eggs which should be gone in a year or two!

Unfortunately she developed a peanut allergy. Goddamnit :(. It's very mild so far and hopefully she'll grow out of it (even though I know they don't often grow out of it but the allergist is hopeful given how mild it is).

Looking back, can you pinpoint maybe why she developed these allergies? I know there is a lot of conflicting advice out there, did you guys avoid the very things she became allergic to? Was there already food allergies in the family? Sorry to pry, I am genuinely curious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've always believed in this idea of exposing the kids to everything and don't be too clean rule. Don't change their clothes unless they are dirty or smell. Don't own a dryer or use fabric softeners (clean clothes are supposed to feel crisp, soft clothes feel dirty, like they've been worn a week to me), baths once or twice a week.

Seems to have worked, no allergies to anything, the little buggers stole a bag of chili nuts and almost finished off the whole bag.

Obviously all very unscientific but it's not like there's not some research saying we're too clean and fussy and dope everything in unnecessary chemicals nowadays too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VorpalBunny posted:

Looking back, can you pinpoint maybe why she developed these allergies? I know there is a lot of conflicting advice out there, did you guys avoid the very things she became allergic to? Was there already food allergies in the family? Sorry to pry, I am genuinely curious.

No that's definitely not prying!

For milk it was early on. When we tried to switch from breast to milk she was instantly allergic on the first few tries (but as I said she's outgrown that one so yay). Eggs.. same thing. Very first time we gave her an egg product right when she started eating solids she broke out SUPER bad and it lasted for a few days whereas the milk rash/hives only lasted like 30/45 minutes. But that's waning too.

Unfortunately for peanuts we got a late start and never received any information on "hey you should be giving your kids peanut products a few times a week to help prevent the allergy" until it was too late. When we were at the allergist getting our official allergy papers for her egg/dairy allergies for daycare, they tested for peanuts. It came back negative and he said she should start receiving peanut products. We started and the first few times was fine but she quickly developed the allergy after that. She was about 10 months. Wished we had gotten that advice sooner from our pediatrician or something.

It's very very mild though so hopefully there's a chance of growing out of it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I discovered two things today.

One: my 14 month old daughter hates the doctors office with maximum passion. Full on screaming cries with shaking, red face, etc. She doesn't want to be touched or even see the doctors. I think she has caught on to what a doctor's office visit entails.

Two (and this one I would welcome feedback):
Has anyone dealt with their child around this time scratching the absolute heck out of their butts? She's continually trying to pull the diaper off but also just literally scratching her butt - tons of vertical scratch marks. So far we've been putting dresses on her where she can't scratch it, but I don't know what else to do. We're probably going to change soaps for her showers as well.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 4, 2016

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Has anyone dealt with their child around this time scratching the absolute heck out of their butts? She's continually trying to pull the diaper off but also just literally scratching her butt - tons of vertical scratch marks. So far we've been putting dresses on her where she can't scratch it, but I don't know what else to do. We're probably going to change soaps for her showers as well.

No, that definitely sounds like something you should get checked out. If she's full on scratching, as opposed to just poking around out of curiosity, it sounds like there's something going on, be it exzema, thrush, pinworms or something else.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Is just the side? Kiddo has reflexively scratched his butt (not the rectum but just the buttocks) since he was born. And sometimes hard enough for scratch marks. He does it to his ear in his sleep as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
All over in random places:
ears, neck, back, butt. Never at the anus directly, though. I think butt gets scratched the most when she's also trying to push off her diaper cover, and her nails grow long/sharp from her major growth spurt at the moment.

No rashes anywhere, no yeasty rashes. Skin may be dry.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 4, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Feels good man.

An insight into toddler logic I was given last night is:
-Our cat is named Lucky

-Therefore all cats are Lucky

-These tiny cats (kittens on youtube) are babies

-Therefore they are "lucky babies"

A valid reasoning given the information they have to go on, actually.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Hah, His Divine Shadow, my son's second word was "Leila" for our neighbor's dog who he loved more than any of us (first was "tick tock"), so we had the same phenomenon. Dogs were called Leilas, and puppies were Baby Leilas. He'll be 3 in June and we still call them Leilas half the time.

We also don't eat popsicles, they're "cole pockles" (his pronounciation of "cold popsicles"), chicken nuggets of any kind are "dinosaur chicken" (because we bought dino shaped nuggets ONCE), and pacifiers are "wah wah's".

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My son refers to our dog as "woof woof". I'll still say "where's Linus?" and my son will parrot "woof woof? wheredego?"

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

My almost-2 year-old daughter calls my coffee "Mommy's yummy agua." She's in a Spanish language immersion daycare and it's so cute how she mixes the two languages :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper use to call all dogs "dagdoo" which was his way of saying our dogs name. (Hector)

Our cat is named Mr. Kitty so all animals now have the naming scheme Mr. -y such as Mr FIshy, Mr Piggy, Mr. Ducky. He's starting to grow out of that one though.

He was playing play doh with my husband today while I was at work. He rolled out a snake and used a cut out shape of a crown and put it on it and said. "Now the snake is a queen!"

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
When he was 3 my son called all liquids in a glass bottle "daddy juice".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
One of my younger daughter's first words is Tickle. She'll giggle and shout "Tickles! " when she gets tickles :3:

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

Our cat is named Mr. Kitty so all animals now have the naming scheme Mr. -y such as Mr FIshy, Mr Piggy, Mr. Ducky. He's starting to grow out of that one though.

Hah, yeah along those lines, my son used to use "Michael" to mean "male friend" and added the prefix Michael to every male friend's name, so Jason became Michael Jason, etc. I never realized how many friends/family were named Michael!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Volmarias posted:

One of my younger daughter's first words is Tickle. She'll giggle and shout "Tickles! " when she gets tickles :3:

My daughter's words are still unclear, so "tickle" sounds like "kill"

It's great when she screams "Kill me! Kill me!"

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Volmarias posted:

This was my daughter's first word too. So much fun.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 4, 2017

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Our kiddo finally started talking regularly (he'll be 2 next month). Trains are woo woos, cats are mows, and all Miyazaki movies are Totoro. He points to the tv and says, "Totoro! Totoro!" You open up the movie app and point the mouse on Totoro and he says, "No!" Point it to Ponyo and he says, "No!" Point it to Kiki's delivery service and he says, "Kiki!" All of the movies show the picture of Totoro at the beginning so they are all Totoro in his head. For reference, he calls any train related show "woo woo," Daniel Tiger is "Daniel" and Peg + Cat is "Peg," but every Miyazaki movie is Totoro. Interestingly enough, he loves Kiki even though we only have it ripped in Japanese.

On another note. He's coming home after being with his grandparents for 5 nights while his dad had surgery(everything went well, no more kidney cancer, yay!). Even though I've missed him terribly, I'm really nervous about him coming home. We've got a long recovery road ahead and I'll be doing everything for at least a month. I'm already exhausted...

Also, cloudpets are so awesome. We got one for our house so his grandparents could send him messages (one is across the country) and it has been a great success. His grandparents got one for their house so we can send him messages when he stays with them. It has been a godsend during this surgery. I've been able to send him messages and his grandmother said he loves to press the button and hear our voices. It really helped to know I could communicate to him and he could get comfort from me even if I wasn't there. I definitely recommend them!

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

amethystbliss posted:

My almost-2 year-old daughter calls my coffee "Mommy's yummy agua." She's in a Spanish language immersion daycare and it's so cute how she mixes the two languages :3:

I love this one! Our little guy calls food "Yum-yums!" When he's hungry he just says, "yum-yum, yum-yum, yum-yum." I gave him a taste of my coffee the other day. He smiled a big smile and proclaimed, "YUM!" It's just cold-brewed with milk, can't believe he didn't spit it out!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

On another note. He's coming home after being with his grandparents for 5 nights while his dad had surgery(everything went well, no more kidney cancer, yay!). Even though I've missed him terribly, I'm really nervous about him coming home. We've got a long recovery road ahead and I'll be doing everything for at least a month. I'm already exhausted...

We went through this with our oldest as I was doing chemo. Don't know your circumstances, but going through aggressive chemo is a full time job in itself. So yeah, you're on your own for a while. I could take care of myself and help some, but not much.

That said, it was a temporary thing and about a month after the chemo ended things reverted to just regularly stressful.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

We're lucky that there's no chemo involved, but they had to cut deep into the kidney and then basically rebuild it, so he has to be very careful for the next 4-6 weeks and won't be fully healed for months. The pain should subside after a week or so, but he won't be able to do more than get up and walk around a little. No lifting at all and we have to be very careful not to let the little guy climb on him...as such he's going to spend a lot of time in our spare room, safely secluded. The toughest part is that Anders is a terrible sleeper, and usually wakes up 2+times a night. I know it's just a month and I'll get through it, but it's going to be rough as I've already hit a wall on the sleep thing. I was severely sleep-deprived before he was born and haven't ever made that up since he isn't a great sleeper. He's in that 5% category that sleep training doesn't really work on him, likely a genetic thing. Thankfully, I have lots of people coming around to help! It's good to remember it's just temporary. I think I'll make that my mantra. Thanks!

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

greatn posted:

Yeah 2 years 8 months and he shouts out his attacks beforehand like a god drat anime character.

Rears back open palm... "HIT!" slaps you in the face. Given this telegraphing he gets me a surprising amount of the time.

Best when it is in complete sentences. "Daddy, I'm going to bite you now."

My son's about the same age - Dad put a pair of sunglasses on him yesterday at the store, which was cute and harmless like it always has been until he suddenly busted out with "Let's fight!" and punched him right in the face. Hilarious and bizarre!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So, our three year old was at nursery today and hit one of the nursery nurses. She was playing and didn't want to stop. So she hit out. The nursery spoke to us saying she's disruptive and if there's no change to her behaviour they're looking to reduce the time she's there. They conveyed the message positively to us.

Pretty crushed, I know she's not good at paying attention and doesn't like stopping what she's doing to go onto something else. She's also just not very inclusive, which I can sort of see in me I'm quite an introvert, and doesn't like getting involved in things.

Any advice? We're grasping at straws at how to try and make her aware of what she's doing. But she's three.

We're considering a sticker chart that if she does as the ladies ask she can put stickers on a chart. She loved that for potty training so let's hope she's not grown out of it.

Also, if my wife see's this. Hiya honey!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Oodles posted:

So, our three year old was at nursery today and hit one of the nursery nurses. She was playing and didn't want to stop. So she hit out. The nursery spoke to us saying she's disruptive and if there's no change to her behaviour they're looking to reduce the time she's there. They conveyed the message positively to us.

That really sucks that the daycare wants to reduce hours and not work with you guys to get through a pretty typical toddler phase. My now-5 year old still acts out with his hands on occasion, and his elementary school teacher and principal are VERY patient with him and he has been steadily improving over the school year. When he was 2 and 3, he would slap people with his hands for taking his toys or if things weren't going his way, and it took a loooooong time of "being a good friend" and "keep your hands to yourself" and active intervention when he hit someone. He's a a great kid overall, just with a hot temper we are working daily to keep in check. I have a hot temper, so I totally understand my little dude's struggle.

Is this your only option for daycare? I understand if they are overwhelmed and can't deal with "disruptive" kids, but that sounds pretty normal to me, especially for a 3-year old.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

That really sucks that the daycare wants to reduce hours and not work with you guys to get through a pretty typical toddler phase. My now-5 year old still acts out with his hands on occasion, and his elementary school teacher and principal are VERY patient with him and he has been steadily improving over the school year. When he was 2 and 3, he would slap people with his hands for taking his toys or if things weren't going his way, and it took a loooooong time of "being a good friend" and "keep your hands to yourself" and active intervention when he hit someone. He's a a great kid overall, just with a hot temper we are working daily to keep in check. I have a hot temper, so I totally understand my little dude's struggle.

Is this your only option for daycare? I understand if they are overwhelmed and can't deal with "disruptive" kids, but that sounds pretty normal to me, especially for a 3-year old.

You sound a bit like me, I've got a bit of a hot temper too. So I see myself in her. Which really holds a mirror up to yourself. We're trying to get her into a local school for their pre-school, so she might not be in it for much longer. But its' where her 1 year old sister goes too, and I don't want to broach the topic of changing schools. I'd rather try to sort the underlying issue, than moving schools.

It's not that they don't want to work with us, I think their concern is they can't be giving more attention to her as they're not swarming with staff - and if they give her attention for being naughty, other kids might try and copy to get attention.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is this a problem that you also have with her at home, or is it something that she just struggles with at the daycare?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Is this a problem that you also have with her at home, or is it something that she just struggles with at the daycare?

Home too. She's just a grump. If she doesn't want to do what she wants to do, she'll just shout No. I have a feeling that this is slightly worse than a typical three year old behaviour.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Oodles posted:

Home too. She's just a grump. If she doesn't want to do what she wants to do, she'll just shout No. I have a feeling that this is slightly worse than a typical three year old behaviour.

That sounds exactly like a three year old to me. I recommend reading "Your Three Year Old" (and the rest of the series for other ages when relevant) to get an idea of what's age-expected behavior.

Are you giving her lots of warnings before a transition? What about using a stopwatch?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, it doesn't sound out of character for three, I was just wondering if there was something being done differently between home and school.

My son doesn't do well when you spring transitions on him, and will still fall apart if you try to switch gears on what is happening on a dime (he's 4 now). He does much much better if we give him warnings - we usually give 5, 2, and 1 minute warnings on things and it helps him a lot. As long as he knows it's coming he can manage it fine.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

We're lucky that there's no chemo involved, but they had to cut deep into the kidney and then basically rebuild it, so he has to be very careful for the next 4-6 weeks and won't be fully healed for months. The pain should subside after a week or so, but he won't be able to do more than get up and walk around a little. No lifting at all and we have to be very careful not to let the little guy climb on him...as such he's going to spend a lot of time in our spare room, safely secluded. The toughest part is that Anders is a terrible sleeper, and usually wakes up 2+times a night. I know it's just a month and I'll get through it, but it's going to be rough as I've already hit a wall on the sleep thing. I was severely sleep-deprived before he was born and haven't ever made that up since he isn't a great sleeper. He's in that 5% category that sleep training doesn't really work on him, likely a genetic thing. Thankfully, I have lots of people coming around to help! It's good to remember it's just temporary. I think I'll make that my mantra. Thanks!

Have you considered a temporary nanny to assist? We were fortunate that my mother in law was in town when I had a major surgery, but having an extra body around the house to help out makes a huuuuge difference during recovery.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Have you considered a temporary nanny to assist? We were fortunate that my mother in law was in town when I had a major surgery, but having an extra body around the house to help out makes a huuuuge difference during recovery.

This. My wife is recovering from her C Section and her mom came down to visit\see her 1st grandson. She's been a tremendous help getting past the first couple of weeks while my wife gets wiped out going down 1 flight of stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I gave Mister3 his options for dinner one night, after declining each one I asked him if he just wants to starve.
He was all "Yeah! Starb!"

Now he'll say "Want starb for tea mum."
I confirm "So, you don't want anything? No food for tea?"
"No, me wants to starb!"

"Mum? Can you make some starb?"