Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's cool that Halloween III is weird and different but like, it's not actually a good movie.

lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They should have called it 10 Roseanne Lane and John Goodman is saving people from Roseanne.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mr. Boogie posted:

Hey guys, I'm pleased to announce my new film 26 Godzilla Avenue. It's the thrilling story of a group of strangers who find themselves trapped in an elevator during an earthquake.

What, you're upset that there's no Godzilla in it, and no monster of any kind? Well, I never said it was a Godzilla sequel, you moron! The two are obviously connected because they're both thrilling and scary! See, we're building a new universe of Godzilla films which are totally unrelated but are connected by being thrilling and scary, because how would you know the story is thrilling and scary otherwise?

Hope you enjoy the film!

Cloverfield isn't the monster's name.

It's the name of a location.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's the name of a location.

If I remember the early military panels in the movie, the location the camera is found is designated Cloverfield because the military designated the codename for the monster to be Clover. Or they designated the monster name Clover and later designated the location Cloverfield.

But even so, the term Cloverfield is inherently linked to the monster.

Unrelated, but has the "man is the real monster" thing ever worked? I mean, people cite Romero's films, but those have literal undead monsters in them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
A lot of movies. Hell, you don't even need a spooky monster but have it be in an environment out to kill you, like Cube.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PBS Newshour posted:

A lot of movies. Hell, you don't even need a spooky monster but have it be in an environment out to kill you, like Cube.

Specifically, I'm talking about movies with actual monsters trying the "No, man is the real monster" thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Day the Earth Stood Still

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PBS Newshour posted:

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Pretty sure the monster in that one is the alien saying "Don't fuckin' swear or we'll fuckin' destroy your goddamned planet, swearin' is bullshit"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh this is a goof em up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies are defined by being a film about monsters where man is the real monster.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think man is the real monsters is pokemon

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Romero's films - except Survival - have have nothing in common, plotwise, except the existence of zombies.

Monsters and Monsters: Dark Continent have almost no plot connection.

The idea of a series that isn't connected by the literal plot is nothing new or unusual.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I drove by the actual Cloverfield once.

It owned so much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But I'm still callin' the creature Clover because whatever.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Just saw the movie. It was tense, well-written, well-acted, etc., but the director was telling the truth about Clover not being in it. Think of it like The Twilight Zone. Highly recommended.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So is any monster in it?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

So is any monster in it?

JUMBO SPOILERS

There is a comparatively small monster - like, small bear size, capable of lifting a car, and a huge flying 'monster'/alien ship that appears like a techno-organic mix with a metallic outside and tentacles with a large organic mouth on the underside, capable of blanketing an area with corrosive gas. We also see another of the big ship-monsters in silhouette - it's made clear that it's some kind of invasion. This is all in the last 10-15 minutes, the film is mostly set in the bunker.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 9, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish the cloverfield monster had been that big whale monster concept

I was just thinking the same thing

The one they went with was kind of... bland?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Reviews are starting to come in. 6 so far on RT and all of them are very positive, most emphasizing three really fantastic performances.

I am excited!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Romero's films - except Survival - have have nothing in common, plotwise, except the existence of zombies.

Monsters and Monsters: Dark Continent have almost no plot connection.

The idea of a series that isn't connected by the literal plot is nothing new or unusual.

Renaming a moving to imply it was related to a different movie is deceptive and misleading. There's really no other explanation for rebranding the movie, and then making zero attempt to correct everyone's obvious assumptions. The fact that series that aren't connected being a thing that technically exists doesn't change the studio's intentions in this case.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Who cares though? If it's a good movie it's a good movie.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

wyoming posted:

All you dopes are why Halloween III wasn't recognized for its genius.

You mean Michael Myers III

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's a bit shady that the producer names it after one of his films, what? 13 years after that film to garner interest in it when they're not related in the slightest. You (or they) can say, "Well this is what happened with Halloween 3." or, "It's like the Twilight Zone. It's meant to be a series of stories around a theme." but Halloween 3 wasn't released nearly a decade after the original. It's clearly trying to hitch a ride off of the originals namesake. Kinda scummy.

But that's show business, so whatever.

Can't wait to watch it in iMax. The massive screen will let me truly appreciate the visual feast of John Goodman sitting on a couch for two hours.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The insanity of Halloween III is what makes it a good movie.

Is Lifeforce a good movie? yes, yes it is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ChogsEnhour posted:

It's a bit shady that the producer names it after one of his films, what? 13 years after that film to garner interest in it when they're not related in the slightest. You (or they) can say, "Well this is what happened with Halloween 3." or, "It's like the Twilight Zone. It's meant to be a series of stories around a theme." but Halloween 3 wasn't released nearly a decade after the original. It's clearly trying to hitch a ride off of the originals namesake. Kinda scummy.

But that's show business, so whatever.

Can't wait to watch it in iMax. The massive screen will let me truly appreciate the visual feast of John Goodman sitting on a couch for two hours.

Closer to 8 years. Cloverfield came out in 08

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

BreakAtmo posted:

JUMBO SPOILERS

There is a comparatively small monster - like, small bear size, capable of lifting a car, and a huge flying 'monster'/alien ship that appears like a techno-organic mix with a metallic outside and tentacles with a large organic mouth on the underside, capable of blanketing an area with corrosive gas. We also see another of the big ship-monsters in silhouette - it's made clear that it's some kind of invasion. This is all in the last 10-15 minutes, the film is mostly set in the bunker.

that sounds pretty rad I'm excited!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm still excited.

Without spoilers and a just a yes or no question, does this have any relation to the ARG stuff?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like this news. A John Goodman bottle episode with the occasional reference to a giant monster attack isn't more interesting or good than a John Goodman bottle episode.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

MisterBibs posted:

Specifically, I'm talking about movies with actual monsters trying the "No, man is the real monster" thing.

The Alien series was rather fond of it and pulled it off fairly well; "you don't see them loving each other over for percentage" and all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

Have you ever enjoyed a Die Hard movie?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Pirate Jet posted:

Have you ever enjoyed a Die Hard movie?

If by "enjoyed" you mean "used to cure insomnia", yes.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I just hope this doesn't turn out like the Cruise War of the Worlds movie where aliens decide to personally investigate an abandoned farmhouse basement during their invasion for no loving reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's cool that Halloween III is weird and different but like, it's not actually a good movie.

No, it's a great movie.

Vakal posted:

I just hope this doesn't turn out like the Cruise War of the Worlds movie where aliens decide to personally investigate an abandoned farmhouse basement during their invasion for no loving reason.

They cleared a captured area and then were dicking around and looking around like soldiers typically do in their down time. That also established that they were unfamiliar with the concept of microbes that could be harmful to them since they didn't go through basic precautions such as not drinking sitting water, which set up the ending.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The marketing for this is admittedly pretty annoying, but I'm not going to let a marketing team ruin what otherwise appears to be a very good movie for me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JJ Abrams is all about the marketing.

It's unlikely anyone goes to see this movie without a marketing attachment. I guess they are going to use Cloverfield as a new Twilight Zone franchise, which is good enough.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's the name of a location movie about a monster that invades the poo poo out of NYC.
And I'll say this. I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie.

But it's going to annoy the hell out of me for the switch-and-bait tactic to promote what (I PRAY TO BABY JESUS) is going to be a decent movie without the Cloverfield tie-in.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I thought the whole of the cloverfield brand was to set up the american godzilla franchise.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't believe one of the guys from the old podcast/videocast TOTALLY RAD SHOW (diggnation family) is directing. It blows my mind and I'm so happy for him. I hope it's a success.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Steve2911 posted:

I like this news. A John Goodman bottle episode with the occasional reference to a giant monster attack isn't more interesting or good than a John Goodman bottle episode.

No references. This movie takes place in an alternate "timeline" in which no giant monster ever attacks NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm really not interested enough in movies that I'm going to go see this despite the scummy marketing. There are better options.

The odds of Cloverfield becoming a "Twilight Zone but as movies" consistent franchise is even dumber than it becoming the "American Godzilla", and we all saw how well that worked out. It's a cash grab, nothing more. I don't think it will work very well, and it will quickly be forgotten.

• Locked thread