Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People walking out of terrible jobs would be great though, think of all the opportunities to develop machines to replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Jonah Galtberg posted:

lukemansillo.png

(he's getting destroyed in the comments)

I do enjoy that my comment on that telling the dude to take his head out of his rear end got me around 25 likes. Feels good.

That's what I did at work for the dole.

sausage eyes
Nov 28, 2007

Truly the Abbott government is comparable to the horrors of Nazi Germany - auspol poster Sausage Eyes, 2015, in between hits of the crack pipe.

:australia:
JSA....noone has mentioned how the free market funding resulted in fraud recently? Was on 4 corners? Hundreds of millions of dollars? Grubs.

When I did wfd I met an Iraqi Doctor, a lady who lost her young child the year before and was clearly grieving, a bunch of people with moderate disabilities who got put there, a really angry guy who had a painting business who had a bankrupt client and wanted to be out getting clients, a drug dealer who liked it and a bunch of dudes just out of jail. Even the thickest libertarian can see these people have different needs and this is not efficient.

Also thanks for loving our flourishing social democracy .

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
dont worry guys the market forces (which we hate, boo free market) will make sure that cleaning toilets is sufficiently incentivised even if people have a choice to take basic income, and people who choose to clean toilets get the respect they deserve and everyone gets clean toilets and no one has to be poor! yay!

never mind that guy who just literally said he would rather be unemployed than have a poo poo job.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

LibertyCat posted:

We already have a system that tries to reward people who do things society values that are in short supply; the market. Becoming a doctor is necessary and difficult, therefore pay is good. We have no shortage of people who can make hamburgers, therefore working at Maccas won't make you a millionaire.

Having different levels of reward isn't the problem, though. The problem is that making hamburgers, no matter how unskilled, is still asked for as a task our society wants to see done. Those who accomplish the task for us deserve a place in the society they are serving. Not to be millionaires, just to be secure. You can't just write off a whole sector of society and use the fact that you only expected high-turnover teenagers to take the job (translation: this job is only suitable for people supported elsewhere, who can afford to be exploited until they bail for somewhere else) as an excuse to let them rot.

Our attitudes towards working to live are the equivalent of Americans getting health insurance through their job instead of having anything like our Medicare.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

dont worry guys the market forces (which we hate, boo free market) will make sure that cleaning toilets is sufficiently incentivised even if people have a choice to take basic income, and people who choose to clean toilets get the respect they deserve and everyone gets clean toilets and no one has to be poor! yay!

never mind that guy who just literally said he would rather be unemployed than have a poo poo job.

*cough* and volunteering *cough*

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

Nah nahnah, there's no point in trying to correct Neg.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

while everyone is living off basic income and volunteering to save the whales and whatevs, who is going to clean the toilets in your unicorn society

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

Do you not understand how markets work? If the cost of cleaning toilets goes up, which it probably would, people aren't just going to stop cleaning them. This isn't any different from people moving to the cities during the industrial revolution. The price of rural labour went up, which encouraged technological development, which gave people in the cities more work and cheaper food. A basic income just accelerates the process.

sausage eyes
Nov 28, 2007

Truly the Abbott government is comparable to the horrors of Nazi Germany - auspol poster Sausage Eyes, 2015, in between hits of the crack pipe.

Negligent posted:

You get that noone hates markets (free markets don't exist boo) ? Most people clean their toilets regularly and that cleaning other peoples toilets like a lot of jobs will get people extra income? Probably equal pay to things like tossmaster who makes bets on all our wealth and productivity.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Negligent posted:

while everyone is living off basic income and volunteering to save the whales and whatevs, who is going to clean the toilets in your unicorn society

If only society had more reasonable, down-to-earth people like you, Negligent. But as you know, most of our society shares the same utopian greenie dreams as Auspol, and there is no sizeable segment of society that sees such pursuits as fanciful and foolish or laughable, as you do.

Everyone will be content to pursue their dreams while running on the basic income money alone. No one will ever feel tempted for even a little more pocket money. No one currently living in this 24/7 sharing economy will be able to further stomach the idea of part-time or casual work, not even when it poses no administrative burden or threat to their existing benefits.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

you're really concerned about janitorial duty, it's nice to see someone actually acknowledge their existence for the all the work they do and we take for granted

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

open24hours posted:

Do you not understand how markets work? If the cost of cleaning toilets goes up, which it probably would, people aren't just going to stop cleaning them. This isn't any different from people moving to the cities during the industrial revolution. The price of rural labour went up, which encouraged technological development, which gave people in the cities more work and cheaper food. A basic income just accelerates the process.

well you see, tired of wading in their own filth, society will create well paying poo poo cleaner jobs, that will lure people away from saving the whales will invent poo poo-cleaning robots

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

sausage eyes posted:

You get that noone hates markets (free markets don't exist boo) ? Most people clean their toilets regularly and that cleaning other peoples toilets like a lot of jobs will get people extra income? Probably equal pay to things like tossmaster who makes bets on all our wealth and productivity.

well you see, tired of wading in their own filth, society will create well paying poo poo cleaner jobs, that will lure people away from saving the whales will invent poo poo-cleaning robots will create well paying poo poo cleaner jobs, that will lure people away from saving the whales

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How many people do you think actually want to make a career out of saving the whales?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

If only society had more reasonable, down-to-earth people like you, Negligent. But as you know, most of our society shares the same utopian greenie dreams as Auspol, and there is no sizeable segment of society that sees such pursuits as fanciful and foolish or laughable, as you do.

Everyone will be content to pursue their dreams while running on the basic income money alone. No one will ever feel tempted for even a little more pocket money. No one currently living in this 24/7 sharing economy will be able to further stomach the idea of part-time or casual work, not even when it poses no administrative burden or threat to their existing benefits.

are they getting part time and casual work cleaning the toilets, because as i understand it, that is something that currently contributes to cleaning toilets being a poo poo job (that and the actual poo poo)

sausage eyes
Nov 28, 2007

Negligent posted:

You should go back and read a good microeconomics for guys who really want a prostate massage but do not have the confidence to ask for one book....there are a LOT of them.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

LibertyCat posted:

We already have a system that tries to reward people who do things society values that are in short supply; the market. Becoming a doctor is necessary and difficult, therefore pay is good. We have no shortage of people who can make hamburgers, therefore working at Maccas won't make you a millionaire.
How do you explain the pay packets and conditions of teachers and nurses in your fanciful little world? Or do you not think that people who essentially teach the next generation and keep us alive are not things people value?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

open24hours posted:

How many people do you think actually want to make a career out of saving the whales?

If we found a way to put whale savings and toilet cleaning together you would have no shortage of volunteers

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

open24hours posted:

if that number is larger than the number that wants to make a career cleaning toilets then sanitation in the basic income economy is looking a bit dicey

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I probably wouldn't even bother using the toilet if we had basic income. Just poo poo everywhere and buy new stuff with my sweet sweet subsistence level wage.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'm looking at this all wrong, I have to adopt the special kind of thinking that allows people to believe in a world of basic income.

No one would even need to clean the toilets. Because, would you make a mess in the toilet if you a) greatly respected the janitor as a person who does a useful and meaningful job and b) knew she made more money than you, because toilet cleaning is an in-demand occupation due to labour competition from the voluntary sector

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Would you rather a) live in a world with basic income and filthy toilets, or b) a world with extremely clean toilets but you get the guillotine if you lose your job?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

To be fair having my meaningless life ended early would be worth it to poo poo on a golden throne

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
tbh, I'd go back to cleaning toilets in a heartbeat I've been unemployed so long, unfortunately I'm stuck in JSA hell right now and want to get any work through them because they do the searching for me (anxiety means i have problems with making phone calls).

JSAs work ok for me because I'm looking specifically for super lovely part time work and due to my pension status they get way more money getting me jobs. I've tried to find full time work through them before and its an exercise in futility.

They have also provided me with things like a phone, myki and clothes before for an interview so you are entitled to a little bit if you ask super nicely (may vary between jsas and centrelink payouts).

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Negligent posted:

You might be forced to clean after yourself.

But nah you won't because people will go through hell to earn the ability stick their fingers into random people butts because the pay is good and the job is secure (it's doctors, I'm talking about doctors). The market will find the price it takes to get people to scrub toilets don't worry.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
An income allowing people who hate doing any sort of work whatsoever to sponge off the rest of society already exists, it's called the welfare state.

I'm not trying to buy in to the conservative meme that there are millions of people bludging off Centrelink - if you reject this idea of masses of welfare cheats for the sensible reasons that the vast majority of people a) like to engage in some sort of productive activity or b) find it humiliating to be the poorest person in the community a basic income doesn't change these disincentives.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LibertyCat posted:

If you told me I'd get say $500 a week for the next year I'd bank it. If you told me I'd get it, guaranteed, for the next 20, I'd just mess around with hobbies all day.

Seems alright to me. An enormous amount of good can emerge from people tinkering with their hobbies and passions.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

This is an incredibly depressing outlook on life, and I'm sorry you feel this way.
It is hardly a view on life. It is an accurate representation of what the unemployment system is currently designed to do, intentionally or not.

Numerous pointless conditions, little to no sympathy, empty meaningless busywork, finance drain, serious loss of your ability to independently schedule your own life, constant vilification, highly patronising (and useless) JSA operated training courses, constant implied threats against your continuing ability to draw payments, and to cap it all off everyone assumes it is your own damned fault.

They all add up to major sources of depression and anxiety.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I know nothing about Auspol so bear with me here, I've been following some of the events since Abbott was ousted and I have a couple questions.

Why do you think Turnbull is so anti-gay? I was under the impression that he was more moderate than Abbott but he seems just as bad if not worse with the anti-bullying stuff. He seems almost as committed to fighting a losing battle on this issue as US Republicans are.

Also, how does the LGBT community feel about having such a person attend Mardi Gras? If an anti-gay politician attended pride somewhere here in the US it would not end well, they generally avoid doing so.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Australia is great. I literally can't go do my shopping today because the road to town is on fire. Well the bush around the road is on fire, haven't got close enough to see if the tar is burning.

Time to go fishing so I have food.

Basic income doesn't put out bush fires so it's a waste of time. Check mate Greenies.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Bogan King posted:

Basic income doesn't put out bush fires so it's a waste of time. Check mate Greenies.

I guess you haven't heard of the CFA.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
The funniest part of all of this is that Negligent's gripe boils down to "why would anyone do <bad job> if there is a system in place that redresses the serious power imbalance which rigs the market in favour of employers? Society would collapse under the weight of people having the freedom to choose what do do with their time!"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'd do poo poo jobs. I applied for a job as a fish gutter a week or so ago.

Not being fully occupied with work or study is actually really boring.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Had I a basic income, I would still continue to work but I would certainly not be doing 60 hours a week between work and travel. I would have the freedom and capacity to either work part time, or find something closer to home.

As it stands I'm doing a well paying job that consumes the majority of my time when I'd rather use that time to assist my partner in developing our children, because they have needs and it's difficult for one person to do it alone.

I would be better rested because I'd no longer be getting up at the crack of dawn 6 days out of 7, just so I can catch a bus, train and tram in that order just to get to my employer.

By the standards of most of auspol, I'm a well paid professional, and I still think basic income is a damned good idea, if an economy is defined by the movement of money, providing it to the poor means it's going to be spent, which means your economy grows and everyone gets a share of the pie. If you give it to the rich, it goes to investments which make money that doesn't get spent, it gets reinvested instead and no one benefits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/707668310330974209

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I would pay a basic income to never see fdotm again

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Negligent posted:

Look this is where I'll bite. It's not just dumb eco volunteering and poo poo, but can also mean the provision of mental health services to disadvantaged youth (which otherwise may find it difficult to seek help). As a psychology student, I can absolutely do this kind of volunteering but either a) the pay is crap because it's not about the money or b)they can't pay you. A real life example is behavioural therapists for kids with ASD, normally parents wouldn't be able to access therapy for them but student therapists can basically do it for the fraction of the cost.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

In fairness, I loving loathe Windsor for what he did to the NBN and I hate that nobody ever holds him to account for it. Almost worth it to see Barnaby and Newscorp cry though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Recoome posted:

Look this is where I'll bite. It's not just dumb eco volunteering and poo poo, but can also mean the provision of mental health services to disadvantaged youth (which otherwise may find it difficult to seek help). As a psychology student, I can absolutely do this kind of volunteering but either a) the pay is crap because it's not about the money or b)they can't pay you. A real life example is behavioural therapists for kids with ASD, normally parents wouldn't be able to access therapy for them but student therapists can basically do it for the fraction of the cost.

Nvm

tithin fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 10, 2016

• Locked thread