Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/707589208601436162

Whoa he is a huge liar...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Carly Fiorina has endorsed Ted Cruz and is currently speaking on his behalf at a campaign rally.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

So the way it's shaping up, Cruz can only win in states that would be OK with an actual theocracy and the constitution pared down to just the 2nd Amendment.
So you're saying he's got a lot of support in the places he wants to carpet bomb?:v:

Celador posted:

"My hair is not my own", thought Trump, as he took his final place on the Golden Throne.
One issue with that:

His hair is real. It's an astounding and magical combover, but it's real.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

fade5 posted:

Once again, this post said exactly what I would say: drop the social issues like a hot potato, and go anti-globalization. The main issue here is that globalization is what all the money guys in the Republican party actually care about, all the social issues and other stuff is window dressing to them, the real goal is "more money, no matter what".

The viable path forward for the Republican party is to throw out the social conservatives and the money guys, but the social conservatives are the fanatical ones who turn out to vote and the money guys fund everything. It's a hell of a pickle.

Anti-globalization, what is this 1890? You can't put that back in the box any more than you can social security or gay marriage.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

fade5 posted:

The viable path forward for the Republican party is to throw out the social conservatives and the money guys, but the social conservatives are the fanatical ones who turn out to vote and the money guys fund everything. It's a hell of a pickle.

They only really need to lose the money guys. The social conservatives can coexist with a nativist, protectionist wing; that Trump is terrible at faking piety doesn't mean other populists will be. But populism and business-friendly fiscal conservatism can't coexist in the same party, we're seeing the fireworks from that now.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
nm

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
WHO HERE UNSKEWED MY KEBABS

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Toilet Mouth posted:

Anti-globalization, what is this 1890? You can't put that back in the box any more than you can social security or gay marriage.

you won't be the last fool to tell the American people what they can't do.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
https://twitter.com/thisweekabc/status/707574466029588480

Quinnipac and CNN have Trump up in Ohio (+6) and Florida (+23, +16) today

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
What about the Children Mr. Trump?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8gCibbCnWU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

fade5 posted:

One issue with that:

Oh it's real alright, it's just not originally part of what we now know as Donald Trump. It is a symbiotic relationship giving both entities untold power and influence.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ohio is clearly within reach for Kasich. The anti-Trump plan currently looks like:

- Kasich wins Ohio
- Rubio drops out after losing Florida, endorses Cruz
- Cruz and Kasich stay in until the end, siphoning delegates off of Trump
- Trump somehow doesn't quite get a majority
- Chaos?

It's a lovely plan, but it's the plan they have.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

fade5 posted:

So you're saying he's got a lot of support in the places he wants to carpet bomb?:v:

One issue with that:

Part of me wishes that there were a photo in such detail showing Hitler's weird combover

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Ohio is clearly within reach for Kasich. The anti-Trump plan currently looks like:

- Kasich wins Ohio
- Chaos?

soon they shall all be standing behind trump as he rails on, trapped as in Amber

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Al! posted:

soon they shall all be standing behind trump as he rails on, trapped as in Amber

Soon, they will all be Chris_Christie_death_stare.jpg

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Someone really should truss Ted.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boosted_C5 posted:

Never mind whether ABC/WaPo did a poll of Michigan, that Clinton v Trump poll itself is trash on its face - REGISTERED voters, not LIKELY voters.

You can't effectively do a likely voter screen at this point in time. No reputable pollster does. You'd have a point in late summer or the fall, but not now.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Soon, they will all be Chris_Christie_death_stare.jpg

I seriously am so excited for this photograph you guys it's going to be amazing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the trump tutelage posted:

Is tactical voting ever really a determining factor in big elections?

Well, yes. It's why almost every single major election only has two viable candidates.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Slate Action posted:

- Kasich wins Ohio
- Chaos?

Yes, the plan of the party that hates immigrants is totally dependent on two children of immigrants; one not even born in the U.S. and the other an anchor baby.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Slate Action posted:

- Kasich wins Ohio
- Chaos?

The problem is that the siphoning starts to drop off dramatically once the states go winner take all

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The problem is that the siphoning starts to drop off dramatically once the states go winner take all

That, and Cruz has relatively few friendly states left on the map, and Kasich is a longshot even if he wins Ohio.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Every time I see a right-winger attack Trump, it only increases my desire for Trump to win. He's an awful loving human being in most ways, but he's less awful that Cruz and Rubio and anyone who supports them.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PT6A posted:

Every time I see a right-winger attack Trump, it only increases my desire for Trump to win. He's an awful loving human being in most ways, but he's less awful that Cruz and Rubio and anyone who supports them.

Trump GE attack on Hillary: In 6 months: "I utterly destroyed the Republican party all on my own, what did YOU do?"

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Some people are true believers who will vote for the piss homunculus no matter what, and some people refuse to vote tactically on principle, but Ohio is being hyped up as maybe the last chance to stop Trump and everyone going to the polls will know it's him or Kasich. I'd be surprised if it didn't have an effect, possibly smothering Rubio.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
at this point there is no chance of someone getting more delegates than trump so the plan is to deny him 1,237, and that depends on denying him either ohio or florida, and he is going to win florida. afaik

awesome that the establishment's best chance is a convention fight

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If Trump takes Florida and North Carolina, he will have swept the Confedaracy. I know that Cruz took Texas but, actually my state didn't count for poo poo in the Civil War. Trump will have dominated in every state that the GOP depends on for its survival.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Making a containment thread would be more trouble than it's worth, so from this point on I'm probating them if even a hint of this idiot slapfight continues/recurs. I'm tempted to hit The Saurus for more time since he's somewhat worse of the two of them, but he's also by far the whinier of the two and would likely see it as some sort of validation of his worthless posts.

Too bad you can only give one probation, that must have been a tough choice to make.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I don't really see how you stop Trump if he wins Florida, even if Kasich takes Ohio.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/jacobkornbluh/status/707593697811107841

Oh this poo poo again!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A funny and somewhat likely scenario is that Trump wins Ohio by like 2%, while Rubio pulls 8-10% and it's blindingly obvious that had Rubio dropped out earlier Trump would have lost the state.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HapiMerchant posted:

Can you like put out a ficlet with all the combined Game Of Primaries stuff you've written, this is great.

Please do this. I love these Westerosi campaign fan fictions.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Toilet Mouth posted:

Anti-globalization means you want the U.S. to exploit the changing conditions in the world and not get hosed by them, not that you think globalization can be stopped.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

nachos posted:

Down this path lies madness

It's a path that is well trodden for him. I think his frantically trying to unskew the 2012 polling may have broken him a bit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

no, it's well known registered voter polls tend to overstate democratic support compared to likely voter screens, by about 2% iirc, because democrats are historically worse at turnout

but you can't effectively measure likely voters this early on and if there's one thing trump can be guaranteed to do, it's upset the usual likely voter screens (both making certain sections of the republican party more or less likely to turn out, and making minorities/women potentially more likely to turn out to vote against him) and anyone doing a likely voter screen this early is bullshitting you anyway

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Glenn Beck has a produced segment that goes through all of Trump's evil stances:

- For progressive taxes.
- For Universal Healthcare.
- Pro choice.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Given that Illinois, Ohio, and Florida are "winner-takes-all" states, just how screwed is the Republican Party if Trump wins all three?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mu Cow posted:

Given that Illinois, Ohio, and Florida are "winner-takes-all" states, just how screwed is the Republican Party if Trump wins all three?

the chance of Donald Trump not being the republican nominee at this point isn't zero but it's so close it might as well be

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

lol at the thought that there is any plan.

There's no plan, nothing matters, nothing else seems to matter :suicide:

-rinse pubic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Montasque posted:

Glenn Beck has a produced segment that goes through all of Trump's evil stances:

- For progressive taxes.
- For Universal Healthcare.
- Pro choice.

its a good thing the GOP base doesn't give a poo poo and will vote for the bully strongman who yells about browns over Beck's chosen melty-face savior

Mu Cow posted:

he will and they won't be totally screwed, most of them will just coalesce around him in resignation and shift their focus to maintaining their House & Senate majorities. A President Trump who is a rubber stamp for the GOP Congress is a President the GOP can live with.

• Locked thread