Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Engaging with this sort of grog/derailing always dooms these threads; I recommend against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

inklesspen posted:

Engaging with this sort of grog/derailing always dooms these threads; I recommend against it.

The Doom That Came To The Chat Thread

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

(oh boy, I sure hope you have a DM who punishes that behavior)
I found the thread.

He doesn't. :smith:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Who else is going through an utter gaming drought right now? Other than a lone PbP game it's been months, maybe even over a year since I've played or ran an RPG. Even more frustrating since I've got a ton of games I'd like to playtest and its hard enough to get my gaming friends to try new stuff even when we could scrape together regular gaming sessions. Who knows when I'll be able to talk them into trying out my stupid "lets play D&D with playing cards" ideas.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

oriongates posted:

Who else is going through an utter gaming drought right now? Other than a lone PbP game it's been months, maybe even over a year since I've played or ran an RPG. Even more frustrating since I've got a ton of games I'd like to playtest and its hard enough to get my gaming friends to try new stuff even when we could scrape together regular gaming sessions. Who knows when I'll be able to talk them into trying out my stupid "lets play D&D with playing cards" ideas.

I mostly do board- and card-games these days, with a work schedule that prevents me from being able to commit to any sort of regularly scheduled RPG session whether it's in person or via Roll20/Skype. Also I'm not really sure I'd be interested in sitting in on the local RPG groups since the choices seem to be a monthly Pathfinder Society thing or games run by a dude who I got to listen to rant about rules lawyers ruining his ability to "tell a story" the other day so I'm content with my small handful of PbPs and the fact that I can at least get some other tabletop gaming in on a regular basis.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

oriongates posted:

Get on my Exalted 3e game! It's "open"!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I'm running the Dracula Dossier (irl, sorry pbpers), but if I wanted to recruit a few people to be relevant nodes (Orlok, an Organizysta boss, Drac) to just email in orders once a week and respond to the party's actions/attempts to thwart yall, would a recruit thread be the right way? Probably I'd set up a storium account and post updates/let you react there

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Get on my Exalted 3e game! It's "open"!

Sadly the real problem is me. To avoid whining too much about life, I'll just say things have been busy, exhausting and badly scheduled in my life lately and even if I found a group or an interesting online game I wouldn't have the time or mental energy to commit to it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

oriongates posted:

Who else is going through an utter gaming drought right now?

Meeeeee. My wife and I both work, but one of us needs to look after our daughter after nursery and my wife's schedule is too unpredictable for me to schedule a regular game night. So PbP it is for the forseeable future.

...I need to post in my PbPs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kwyndig posted:

This whole discussion reminds me of something else from the old days that always bugged me, which was thief skills. Some of them just plain don't make sense, like move silently, which in reality in urban or dungeon environments is more dependent on what you're wearing and how fast you're going than any kind of training. Now in a forest I can see it, because it does take skill to avoid leaves and branches and move through brush without making noise, but it is laughably easy to sneak up on people anywhere the ground isn't covered in crap. Of course having hiding and moving being separate skills for sneaking was also dumb anyway.

Also wasn't there another type of armor that never existed? I want to say splint mail.

Thief Skills were meant to be semi supernatural in nature when they were introduced, that's why they have such low success rates, you'd only roll for them when doing something beyond what a normal person can achieve, like the climbing one is meant for climbing up a sheer smooth surface without tools, regular climbing, especially with tools was assumed to be something you'd pass automatically if there were no significant obstacles in your way

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, looks like D&D Classics just got around to releasing the 3.0 Ravenloft core by White Wolf. That's a line I've been wanting to see for a while now.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

oriongates posted:

I know what you mean. Currently I don't have the energy to commit to a game right now even if I could get some friends together.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm running 13th Age organized play for a group each week, and we've been doing it for...at least a year now.

I haven't played anything in ages, though. I always run games, generally because I'm the only person who buys new games.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Everblight posted:

So I'm running the Dracula Dossier (irl, sorry pbpers), but if I wanted to recruit a few people to be relevant nodes (Orlok, an Organizysta boss, Drac) to just email in orders once a week and respond to the party's actions/attempts to thwart yall, would a recruit thread be the right way? Probably I'd set up a storium account and post updates/let you react there

Yeah, you should set up a recruitment thread. I can't be certain anyone would be interested, but its worth a shot.

Also someone happens to be running a Dracula Dossier game for pbp, which means people are interested in it.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I am in the camp of GMing-forever-but-really-itching-to-play-something too - my local university group is running a 30+player Living Dungeon World campaign, but it's just too hard to get there after work.

My 13th age campaign is at 13 months now - Eyes of the Stone Thief is now one of my favorite D&Dalike campaign books of all time now.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I found the thread.

He doesn't. :smith:

Oh well in that case :sever:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's this bit in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide books where someone bets he can make a mountain disappear and it describes how he makes an elaborate plan, hires helpers, puts moving infrastructure in place and all kinds of things and then realizes five minutes before the deadline is up that he's not gonna make it. I'm that guy and the mountain is three combat maps that are just not gonna work out at all the way I set them up.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

All you have to do is make sure its someone else's problem.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:cthulhu: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder :cthulhu:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/sandy-petersens-cthulhu-mythos-for-pathfinder

quote:

Sandy Petersen is the undisputed authority on the Cthulhu Mythos in games as the author of the groundbreaking game Call of CthulhuIncluding:

A bestiary with over 100 entries, almost half never before seen in a Pathfinder book before.
Over 25 Mythos Entities: Creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries I-V now authoritatively revised & updated in this book. Additionally, the original entries as found in the Bestiaries I-V are also included for easy reference and comparison.
Over 50 NEW Mythos Entries: Creatures from the Cthulhu Mythos that have never before been published in any Pathfinder Bestiary.
Over 40 'Unusual Suspects': Creatures that could (and maybe should) be in the Cthulhu Mythos, found in the pages of the current Pathfinder Bestiaries. Some have been updated to reflect our new rules.
Adventures: Plot Hooks and Campaign starters by Sandy Petersen and others.
How to run horror in a heroic sword and sorcery setting by Sandy Petersen., the first game ever to bring HP Lovecraft’s work to the gaming world.

He now proudly presents Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder, by Petersen Games. This is the definitive and ultimate guide to bringing Lovecraft to the high fantasy sword and sorcery worlds played using the Pathfinder rule system.

Your band of heroes can now fight (and maybe even defeat) monstrous horrors and bizarre, inhumanly advanced races in adventures featuring these unique entities, their magics, and the alien technologies accurately portrayed from Lovecraftian works!

Why Pathfinder?

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is an evolution of the 3.5 rules set of the world's oldest fantasy roleplaying game, designed using the feedback of tens of thousands of gamers. Since Paizo released the first playtest documents in March of 2008, more than 50,000 gamers have downloaded the rules and posted their feedback, resulting in a year-long open playtest that was the largest in the history of tabletop roleplaying games. Going back to the beginning of the game's third edition, the rules engine that powers the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game have enjoyed more than 15 years of active playtesting and revision.

Some Cthulhu Mythos has already been introduced in Pathfinder, but we plan to bring an authoritative expertise of Lovecraftian Horror to the game. Our goal is that this book will be the ultimate guide to the Cthulhu Mythos for the Pathfinder Role-Playing Game.

Sandy Petersen brought Cthulhu to role-playing games with his groundbreaking game Call of Cthulhu and now wants to bring the Mythos to the high fantasy world of Pathfinder.

We also believe that no game of Pathfinder is complete without great miniatures, and we have plenty to include in this campaign. These miniatures come fully assembled and ready to be played immediately.

Really the draw is the miniatures.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
In which Pathfinder subtly trolls it's player base.

I've been reading Towns of the Inner Sea.

There is a town called Ilsurian.

Where does the following remind you of?

quote:

The people of Ilsurian pride themselves on their independence. Founded by the military commander Ilsur and other expatriates from Korvosa, the town still follows its old ideals of meritocracy and military principles-or at least pays lip service to them.
And they're confident that their sword arms are strong enough to discourage any who would try to take their liberty. Situated at an important crossroads for waterborne
trading vessels, Ilsurian sees many travelers. But the residents, predominantly descended from Chelish stock, could do without their Varisian visitors and settlers . T h e people of Ilsurian buy into the negative stereotypes of Varisians, making it difficult for such people to move into the town or even bring their caravans nearby. Some still try, enduring the insults and dirty looks, because the Ilsurians have rarely resorted to violence to deal with Varisian visitors .

quote:

A six-person council adjudicates laws and settles disputes in Ilsurian. The townsfolk take great pride in their civic duties, and turn out in great numbers for the biennial democratic elections. Since Ilsurian is meant to be a meritocracy, citizens are instructed to vote based more on the quality and experience of the candidates than their stances on issues, though people have slowly moved toward the latter over the last several years. This meritocratic system is also why only former council members-who have supposedly proven their merit-can nominate new candidates. Council heads, too, are chosen by the rest of the council, and serve 2 -year terms. The laws don't allow council heads to be voted in for successive terms except in rare emergency situations , and only in cases where the council unanimously allows it.

quote:

Most of the residents refuse to socialize with them, and many businesses hang "No Varisians" signs in their windows. By the letter of the law, Varisians have all the rights of any other citizen,
but the town's commitment to personal freedom means that the individual residents can be just as bigoted as they like. This adds up to an unwelcoming and distrustful atmosphere for many visitors .

quote:

Semere Arms: Expert weaponsmith Vea Semere (C G female half- elf expert s) satisfies the demands of Ilsurian's residents for quality weapons. Because the townsfolk consider weaponry a part of their heritage, they're constantly seeking to repair or maintain their heirlooms and purchase new weapons. It's common practice to buy a brand new weapon when a child come s of age, and not unheard of to commission a tiny weapon typically a thin thrusting blade-for a young child to carry. Vea has lived in Ilsurian for only 5 years , and is one of the few half- elves in town, but she has been accepted wholeheartedly because of her skill in forging weapons. She still struggles to understand the citizenry's fixation on weapons, even knowing that the laws mandate owning them. In order to keep her customer base, however, she's endured plenty of martial posturing and overly long conversations about the advantages and disadvantages
of different types of weapons in her efforts to indulge people who've never actually had to use them.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Should I be ashamed that I demo'd D&D Attack Wing tonight and thought it was okay?

Probably helped that I felled mighty Tiamat with Magic Missile

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Helical Nightmares posted:

In which Pathfinder subtly trolls it's player base.

I've been reading Towns of the Inner Sea.

There is a town called Ilsurian.

Where does the following remind you of?

Having to live in the place where literally everyone owns HANZO STEEL FOLDED OVER 1000 TIMES katanas and talks about them non-stop sounds really loving annoying

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Having to live in the place where literally everyone owns HANZO STEEL FOLDED OVER 1000 TIMES katanas and talks about them non-stop sounds really loving annoying

Towns of the Inner Sea is so far not that creative or great.

And no I don't think they are ripping off Japan

the joke about how everyone loves their weapons (guns) and hate foreigners I think the author is referring to America

Dec 26, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Should I be ashamed that I demo'd D&D Attack Wing tonight and thought it was okay?

Shame on you for having fun. Shame!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah, well, STAW was also okay at the start.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Helical Nightmares posted:

Towns of the Inner Sea is so far not that creative or great.

And no I don't think they are ripping off Japan

the joke about how everyone loves their weapons (guns) and hate foreigners I think the author is referring to America
I don't think the connection is as tight as you think it is because you screwed up the fluff. Its colonialist foreigners who hate the Natives which of course wraps right back to America but still you got the fluff slightly wrong.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MadScientistWorking posted:

I don't think the connection is as tight as you think it is because you screwed up the fluff. Its colonialist foreigners who hate the Natives which of course wraps right back to America but still you got the fluff slightly wrong.
Yes but the colonialist foreigners don't see themselves as foreign. Even though they moved there, it's clearly everyone else who is foreign and therefore gross. :911:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

that's a loving hot take on the united $nake$ of amerikkka

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MadScientistWorking posted:

It's not airtight.

But throw in the talk about how they love "democracy" and "meritocracy" and a lot of points line up.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
To me, it lines up rather strongly with the conservative gun cultures in the South and Midwest than a holistic snapshot of the US in general. And that's probably because I live in the South.

Claim to have a big emphasis on individualism, place a huge amount of cultural emphasis on owning a weapon and even tying it to liberty, a small town where a lot of folks know each other.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone teach me how to import maps into roll20? If I had this:

How would I make it line up to roll20's grid? I've tried following their guide multiple times and it never seems to line up correctly.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 10, 2016

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

How would I make it line up to roll20's grid? I've tried following their guide multiple times and it never seems to line up correctly.

I didn't get it perfect, but I got it close.

Go to the page settings and make the page size bigger; I had 40 units x 40 units. Import the image and make sure it is on the map layer (right-click>send to map layer). Then just hold the alt key while you scale and move, and it won't snap to the grid. It takes a little messing around - but you should be able to get it the right size. The automatic tool never works for me

Edit: A quick picture to show you how it looked

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 10, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

It's an honor to finally meet you, Mr. Sirlin

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, that guide is bullshit. If you know you have a perfectly square map, like the one pictured in your post, just determine the dimensions in squares by hand and right click>advanced>set dimensions. Set it to the appropriate number of 'units', which means squares, the pictured map is 29 by 29.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

It's an honor to finally meet you, Mr. Sirlin

Thanks, it's great to be here on Something Awful!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, well, STAW was also okay at the start.

That's how Wizkids gets you

Well that and the fact they made Mage Knight, broken clocks twice a day and all that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, that guide is bullshit. If you know you have a perfectly square map, like the one pictured in your post, just determine the dimensions in squares by hand and right click>advanced>set dimensions. Set it to the appropriate number of 'units', which means squares, the pictured map is 29 by 29.

thefakenews posted:

I didn't get it perfect, but I got it close.

Go to the page settings and make the page size bigger; I had 40 units x 40 units. Import the image and make sure it is on the map layer (right-click>send to map layer). Then just hold the alt key while you scale and move, and it won't snap to the grid. It takes a little messing around - but you should be able to get it the right size. The automatic tool never works for me

Thank you both! The alt thing and just counting out the squares by hand worked.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
or, just don't use a grid your token won't snap but you can still put them inside the boxes by hand like a real tabletop

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I think I just put my head through my desk over how idiotic this is. Minis are nice, sure, but if you can't be bothered to learn how to play CoC or Delta Green for your Cthulhu fix then there's no helping you.

Here's hoping that Sandy gets the better end of the deal than Ryan Dancey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wonder - does any of the money from this go back to Chaosium? They're given a thanks in the credits, but they were having a rocky financial time, and now I'm curious if this is licensed through them and they get a cut, or what.

• Locked thread