Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pb is probably the only thing i like reloading weapons in, because it feels really satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dewgy posted:

Brutal Doom, though I play BD with classic weapons because reloading in Doom is dumb.

I kind of wish Brutal Heretic and Hexen were real things. One can dream. :allears:

Huh, never thought to try that combo. Anyway, there's a beta version of Brutal Hexen out there, but I don't think it got any further than that.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Descent 2 has good scare moments like when a wall uncloaks behind you and you hear fourteen very, very angry robots at once

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What Doom launcher is everyone using these days? Is ZDL still the go-to?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mak0rz posted:

I still really like QLZD but I haven't really tried the others.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mak0rz posted:

Personally use Doom Explorer because of my slant towards multiplayer, but it is no slouch when it comes to using it as a single player launcher too. Real easy to use.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mak0rz posted:

ZDL is still #1 for me, it launches right into my heart

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I've mostly switched over to Doom Explorer for its multiplayer stuff and flexibility in general, but ZDL is still pretty good (and a bit simpler to use imo).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OK I'll stick with ZDL, thanks!

Another question: is the underwater reverb effect supposed to sound like horrible unintelligible garbage? I realize it's supposed to be muffled and low-pass, but I hear what sounds like weird clipping and artefacts. Not sure how else to describe it :shrug:

I'm using the latest GZDoom svn build (released on Feb 28 thereabouts) with the fmodEX sound driver. Pirate Doom map 4 is a good place to test it.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Dewgy posted:

Brutal Doom, though I play BD with classic weapons because reloading in Doom is dumb.

I kind of wish Brutal Heretic and Hexen were real things. One can dream. :allears:

Vanilla Doom's gunplay has aged better than Quakes in my eyes. BD is great but I think a Brutal Quake would be really awesome. Might be too much work though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

The cover we deserve. :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dewgy posted:

CRUNCH AND POUR

SNAP AND CRACKLE

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Doom MP trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFLmkhx9e1I

This looks oldschool multiplayer FPS as hell, and it's great.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

It still looks very Halo-y to me, but Microsoft insist on never releasing a Halo game on PC again so hell, whatever works.

That announcer doesn't really do much for me, though. "𝙶𝚎𝚗𝚘𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎. :geno:"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Lemon-Lime posted:

While I disagree on its style (It very Halo, but so is its multiplayer devs) I really like the Mancubus design.

The Kins posted:

It still looks very Halo-y to me, but Microsoft insist on never releasing a Halo game on PC again so hell, whatever works.

That announcer doesn't really do much for me, though. "𝙶𝚎𝚗𝚘𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎. :geno:"

This is also fair.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There are too many portals, quad damage powerups and people being instagibbed by shotguns for it to be Halo, although we'll see if the shotgun actually does anywhere near that amount of damage or if they just had everyone on low HP for the staged shots once the beta comes out, I guess. If nothing else, it's definitely an arena shooter. :v:

I'm guessing the announcer is supposed to be some kind of AI that does the suit voices because yeah, it's :geno: as gently caress.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Looks pretty good. And yeah that voice is meh.

I don't know that I've ever been in a weird place like this where a sequel to a series I loved so much is coming out and I'm just ehhhhh about the whole thing.

I guess Doom 3 and then id basically evaporating will do that :v:

Still, I'll give the game a fair shake when it rolls out, I've only seen like one thing about I don't like much, and it may not be an issue, we'll see.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Slow, ugly, boring, and visually derivative. Huge dumb obstructive weapon models - oh joy! Is there anyone who actually thinks elaborate melee takedowns in a (supposedly) fast arena FPS is a good idea? No one is going to be playing this by the end of the year lmao.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It reminds me of the new Unreal Tournament, doesn't look amazing but doesn't look bad. its no oldschool FPS though.

And I'll admit I'm kinda interested in getting to play as an Imp or Hellknight, that's a fun idea.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Slow, ugly, boring, and visually derivative. Huge dumb obstructive weapon models - oh joy! Is there anyone who actually thinks elaborate melee takedowns in a (supposedly) fast arena FPS is a good idea? No one is going to be playing this by the end of the year lmao.

The only real issue I have with it is that the voice says "quad damage :geno:" rather than "QUAD DAMAGE :black101:" because that goddamn BRRRRRRRHHH sound is so satisfying.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I haven't played Descent since I was a kid and played it keyboard only somehow. Is there a preferred control method for it nowadays? I thought about using a flightstick for pitch/roll/yaw and WASD for forward and backward motion and strafing, which feels natural but almost feels like cheating in some ways. Did people play flightstick-only when the game was new?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I played Descent 2 with a flightstick using the POV hat for strafe and throttle for forward/back and it ruled. These days I just use M&K and put strafe up/down on the mouse thumb buttons and roll on Q and E.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Lemon-Lime posted:

There are too many portals, quad damage powerups and people being instagibbed by shotguns for it to be Halo,

Halo had portals and an incredibly strong shotgun, so swap out quad damage for overshield and it really is a bloodier Halo.

e: I should say that this is as the perspective of someone that has actually played a lot of Halo and isn't just using the comparison to put the game down. The time to kill, player movement speed, and even the map design all look very much like multiplayer Halo.

Geight fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can't see how anyone can describe something as "like Halo" if the characters aren't limited to two guns and don't jump like there are helium balloons attached to their backs :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Geight posted:

Halo had portals and an incredibly strong shotgun, so swap out quad damage for overshield and it really is a bloodier Halo

Nah halo's a good bit slower. Its between Doom and Halo, like.... not quite Quake 4.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Re: Descent controls: I use keyboard/mouse. WASD strafes like your standard FPS, space strafes up, Shift strafes down (you may prefer Ctrl for this if that's your usual crouch button, but I tend to map crouch to Shift). Mouse X axis adjusts yaw, Y axis adjusts pitch, Q and E roll. It actually works pretty well.

I did get a nice Logitech joystick from Goodwill, though (which turned out to be a model they still actively sell - MSRP is presently $40, I paid $15), and briefly tried using it with Descent. At the end of the day, though, I felt most comfortable only using it to adjust pitch/yaw/roll, and decided my mouse could do the same thing but more comfortably. (Still gotta use that thing for TIE Fighter, though. I can't imagine myself trying to use a mouse for that.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Sometimes I wish the chaingunner wasn't available to Doom mappers, or at least packing ten of them into a closet that opens up behind you so that they can gun you down immediately without you knowing what the gently caress just happened shuts down their computer and then blows it up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I played (play, after the recent discussion) Descent with the mouse and number pad:

8246 standard strafe
Enter and . strafe up and down
7 and 9 roll
Weapon cycle and others are on the operation keys and arrows

It works well enough but picking weapons requires a big hand movement, especially in D2 where there are a lot more for the cycle buttons to go through.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Descent is one of these games that I refuse to play without a stick. Hat for strafing up/down/left/right, stick for pitch, yaw, and roll, throttle for moving forward/backward.

Without a stick, I'd rather play Doom/Heretic/Quake/Duke/etc. Maybe Descent can be played perfectly fine with keyboard and mouse but I just don't even want to try.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I played Descent as a kid with just the keyboard. Not even the mouse.

Never again. Descent is made for flight sticks.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

10-year-old me wasn't able to hack both 3D movement with just the keyboard and shooting robots at the same time. :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing through it with the same controls Shadow Hog mentioned and it works fine. I'm not a flightstick guy, but the levels are cramped enough that it sounds like it might actually be a hindrance but I dunno.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Sometimes I wish the chaingunner wasn't available to Doom mappers, or at least packing ten of them into a closet that opens up behind you so that they can gun you down immediately without you knowing what the gently caress just happened shuts down their computer and then blows it up.
Do you have a specific example in mind? Assuming minimal cover, as a rule the denser the group of chaingunners, the less dangerous the trap will be as they will all start to infight. All you need to do is quickly move to an angle that limits line of sight from multiple targets as much as possible (so if they're arranged in a big line or pillar, move to the either end). In most cases there's usually enough time from the audio cue to shift your focus and throw yourself somewhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

koren posted:

Do you have a specific example in mind? Assuming minimal cover, as a rule the denser the group of chaingunners, the less dangerous the trap will be as they will all start to infight. All you need to do is quickly move to an angle that limits line of sight from multiple targets as much as possible (so if they're arranged in a big line or pillar, move to the either end). In most cases there's usually enough time from the audio cue to shift your focus and throw yourself somewhere.

Really? I guess that shows how much I really know, but I didn't think monsters of the same type were capable of infighting.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

koren posted:

Nothing really specific I guess but I'm trying to get through Plutonia 2 without reloading any saves within a level. I just find it really obnoxious the way I, for sake of an example, pick up a key and several gunners teleport in and sap my health and armor extremely rapidly. They often don't really have any delay or are spread out such that having to deal with one lets another unload on me with impunity. There are other little things they do with them that's aggravating, like hiding them in alcoves with grates or vines covering them so that they are difficult to notice immediately, Plutonia 2 has a lot of visual noise by doom WAD standards which can make it less clear where you're being shot from.

I dunno, this is related to the way I choose to play I suppose but it often feels like with this particular enemy penalizes you extremely harshly for not dealing with them instantly, and the Plutonia mappers have always been massive fans of these guys from my experience. I'm comparing it to Alien Vendetta I find, I had some problems with that WAD but in retrospect I appreciate the way it used its monsters, mostly high level projectile users so if your fancy footed enough you could avoid most of the damage. I would assume this is one of the reasons that Spider Masterminds show up way less frequently than the Cyberdemons. Surprise Chaingunner hordes can feel like a lazy way of amping up the difficulty.

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? I guess that shows how much I really know, but I didn't think monsters of the same type were capable of infighting.

Hitscanners can.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Hitscanners can.

That makes sense, because its the projectile that remembers who did the attack, and I think melee attacks have special code for it, but then hitscan wouldn't yeah.

Although is that even really infighting or is it just like friendly fire? Do they actually turn around and engage each other?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zaphod42 posted:

That makes sense, because its the projectile that remembers who did the attack, and I think melee attacks have special code for it, but then hitscan wouldn't yeah.

Although is that even really infighting or is it just like friendly fire? Do they actually turn around and engage each other?

Yeah they do, its pretty fun to get them to all go apeshit on each other.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Do they actually turn around and engage each other?

Yup.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

This extends to Spider Masterminds too, I believe, although it's exceedingly uncommon to find two of those anywhere near one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RyokoTK posted:

Never again. Descent is made for flight sticks.

Same, I don't even know how it was possible. I was pretty young and I think every time I ended up upside down I was just like, "well I guess I'm just upside down forever now."

I'm not at home so I can't test this, but how does mapping the throttle for, say, the Thrustmaster t-16000, work with the Descent source port? Does it let you map the middle to neutral and the two extremes to forward and back or what?