Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
He did, but the writers just couldn't let the character move on. So eventually he was written into being a villain again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grandalt posted:

He did, but the writers just couldn't let the character move on. So eventually he was written into being a villain again.

That's a terrible shame, because I'd love to read a comic about the Riddler channeling his nuttiness in positive ways to 'prove' he's a better detective and hero than the Dark Knight while Batman plays along to encourage him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, no, he was in a coma for a year and that cured his Psychosis so he started farming himself out as a PI, mostly for villains who had been framed for crimes they didn't commit. Then when someone decided that he needed to be a villain again he was slightly too close to a bomb blast and the concussion turned his riddle psychosis back on.

Because that's how brains work.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

Well, no, he was in a coma for a year and that cured his Psychosis so he started farming himself out as a PI, mostly for villains who had been framed for crimes they didn't commit. Then when someone decided that he needed to be a villain again he was slightly too close to a bomb blast and the concussion turned his riddle psychosis back on.

And now I remember why I don't actually read comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh, something that Aaron Cash mentioned in a couple of the evidence room voice overs: He keeps referring to letting villains go and he's talking about how in the aftermath of Protocol 10, the GCPD was forced to exonerate all of the inmates due to the massive miscarriage of justice that was Arkham City. I'm not clear on whether or not that would fly in real life but then again, Arkham City wouldn't have flown in real life either. This also ties in to how suspiciously quiet the city has been. It's not just that crime's taken a downturn - it's that every single high profile criminal in Gotham has been free for months and not a single one of them have done anything of note (that anyone's aware of anyway).

I thought it was just Deadshot, and he probably only got released to get drafted into the Suicide Squad.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 9, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought it was just Deadshot, and he probably only got released to get drafted into the Suicide Squad.

Deadshot popped up in Arkham Origins: Blackgate as a boss, which was mostly used as something of a Suicide Squad setup game. It's where they picked up Deadshot because he's a marksman who ALMOST KILLED BATMAN, Bronze Tiger who NEARLY BEAT BATMAN HAND TO HAND, and tried to pick up Bane but that A: didn't work out and B: probably would have been a terrible idea but Suicide Squad also seems like a terrible idea so :confuoot:

Let's just pretend that game never existed, unless Batman: Arkham Sucide Squad becomes a thing. In which case maybe I'll have to run through that too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On a related glass breaking note, I love how no one questions how Riddler got a trophy into the GCPD. Riddler is practically Batman himself at this point.
This actually gets sort of explained in the game. By the way, is it just me, or does this game have easily the best Riddler in the series?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, while there are a surprising amount of references to Arkham Origins in this game (surprising because during the run-up to this game Rocksteady seemed to go out of their way to avoid acknowledging Origins existed) there are zero mentions to Blackgate as far as I know. May as well be treated as non-canon, and I'm OK with that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

anilEhilated posted:

This actually gets sort of explained in the game. By the way, is it just me, or does this game have easily the best Riddler in the series?

I wouldn't even say sort of. It gets flat out explained by the game in every way except "Hey, this is how I did it, Batman!" This game's Riddler...I think Origins has him beat. His one liners in that game were just a tad bit better. Plus I harbor quite a bit of resentment towards this game's Nygma for something we'll see shortly.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

Yeah, while there are a surprising amount of references to Arkham Origins in this game (surprising because during the run-up to this game Rocksteady seemed to go out of their way to avoid acknowledging Origins existed) there are zero mentions to Blackgate as far as I know. May as well be treated as non-canon, and I'm OK with that.

I thought it was odd that the REC can be taken, but batman just ignores the electrocution gloves when they are just as useful as the REC. I chalked it up to "they don't wanna use Origins stuff".

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't there an entire comics series where Riddler realized he needed help and turned into an incredibly competent private detective because he is actually incredibly smart, just crazy as gently caress?

I know that there's at least a few instances where Riddler tries to commit a crime but literally can't avoid leaving a clue to solving it. His OCD is that strong.

Of course, in at least one of the many canons he knows Batman's identity but gets checkmated by Batman for the reason of "what's the value of a riddle everyone knows the answer to?".

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Vicissitude posted:

I know that there's at least a few instances where Riddler tries to commit a crime but literally can't avoid leaving a clue to solving it. His OCD is that strong.

Of course, in at least one of the many canons he knows Batman's identity but gets checkmated by Batman for the reason of "what's the value of a riddle everyone knows the answer to?".

Riddler does eventually tell some people. At least, he tells Tommy Elliot, which is how the whole Hush arc starts.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kurieg posted:

Riddler's been in a coma a few times in the comics, usually just after he's figured out Batman's secret identity and the writers realize they have no idea how to handle that. So wham, mace to the head from some random superhero, comatose, whoops looks like he forgot everything! Real shame that. God I hate comic book writers.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I liked the run of The Question when he ran in to Riddler when the latter was trying to hijack a bus - they ended up just sitting down and throwing riddles and koans at one another happy as can be while waiting for the police to show up.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

Riddler does eventually tell some people. At least, he tells Tommy Elliot, which is how the whole Hush arc starts.

I thought Hush figured it out on his own? :s

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

I thought Hush figured it out on his own? :s
Don't know about the comics but in Arkham City he didn't seem to know.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hush is sort of the Ben Carson of the Batman world - brilliant surgeon, dumb as a box of rocks on anything not related to surgery, and frankly an rear end in a top hat. You'd think a guy who has been obsessively studying everything Bruce Wayne has ever done would be the first person to realize he's got inconsistencies and weird habits, but no. Hush has never known who Batman is without someone telling him.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Don't know about the comics but in Arkham City he didn't seem to know.

I thought the implication of him telling Batman exactly what was going on kind of pointed him toward being in the know about Bruce Wayne's cosplay adventures.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Vicissitude posted:

I thought the implication of him telling Batman exactly what was going on kind of pointed him toward being in the know about Bruce Wayne's cosplay adventures.

No I pretty sure his City profile mentions a hatred toward the Wayne family. He is just out to ruin the Wayne family name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Hush is interesting because he is one of the few characters out there that sees Batman and Bruce Wayne as two completely separate entities. Of course, this means his want to be Bruce Wayne is not all that thorough of a want, but to most villains Wayne is a complete non-entity.

I find Batman stories that involve Bruce Wayne to be some of the more interesting ones because it takes him from just being the persona that hides Batman's existence to being a real character, sometimes a totally separate one from Batman himself. I liked Hush's side quest in Arkham City because it wouldn't have happened if Batman hadn't been publically induced into AC as Wayne at the beginning of the game- you find thugs and occasionally the main villains talking about him and how they're gonna kick his rear end if they find him and I think that's kinda cool.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 9, 2016

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

MadDogMike posted:

There's some incidental Knight troop dialogue I recall that indicates she did beat hell out of a bunch of them with said escrima sticks before the Knight himself grabbed her. As can be expected, the Knight is good enough to go up against Batman directly (I expect this is a non-spoiler to everyone reading here) so I don't really feel like it makes Barbara come off weak to lose to him. In any event I seriously doubt she would be willing to risk getting captured even for intel, it's just too suicidally risky.

I do like the theory that Oracle put up a good fight before she was captured, but it still sucks that it's a complete failure of "show, don't tell." The only thing really out of place in her apartment/lair is her overturned wheelchair - where are her bloodied escrima sticks, discarded on the floor? Where are the impact marks from a thug knocked into her bookshelves? Why isn't the Knight limping a little bit in the security footage Batman looks at, or followed by four mooks carrying two others out on stretchers?

In the context of general fiction it's extremely problematic that the only significant woman hero is the one kidnapped yet again - Alfred would have been an easier target, and they would have been wiser to write off Oracle and just fire a few RPGs and/or railguns into the clock tower supports - but honestly I care more about the fact that they didn't actually have her put up a fight. Mook dialogue is the easiest thing in the game to add as an "Oh drat, we forgot to reference [important thing] enough!" and it's only in those voice clips that we get any sign that she put up a fight (as far as I know, so far). It's just a shame, another minor flaw.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
...your solution to the game telling instead of showing in audio form is the game telling instead of showing in visual form? "Show, don't tell" doesn't really apply to just visually representing the aftermath of the events. I mean, it's closer, but it's still not really what the events needed in order to be properly explained imo.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'd imagine the lack of blood and broken stuff was due to a lack of desire to model another map area.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm rather curious which things in particular upset or disappointed you.

One thing I know he already mentioned is the total gutting of challenge maps which still makes me mad and I haven't played the game in months.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder if the whole "people becoming Joker" thing is a reference to Return of the Joker.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Technowolf posted:

I wonder if the whole "people becoming Joker" thing is a reference to Return of the Joker.

I always found the reason for Robin turning into the Joker in that movie silly. Joker, the guy who is literally defeated by being pantsed in front of Gotham in one episode, is suddenly some super savvy micro-engineer capable of implanting nanomachines that overwrite someone else's DNA with his own? Since when?

It would've made more sense for it to have been him cribbing Mad Hatter's technology or something, with Tim being hypnotized into believing he was the Joker. Joker already brainwashed him into being Joker Jr., so a bit of hypnosis would've undoubtedly pushed him back over that edge.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
He did crib the crip, he took it from Caddus, which is a group known for messing around with people's dna.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

grandalt posted:

He did crib the crip, he took it from Caddus, which is a group known for messing around with people's dna.

This, but it wasn't just DNA if i recall correctly. The whole thing was based off Mad Hatter stuff, which is why what Batman did solved the problem.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

SonicRulez posted:

What's funny is that I also got the REC as soon as you can enter the Police Department. I don't even know what compelled me to punch the glass. I got the game at launch, so I was playing it blind. Something just told me to take a swing, so when the glass broke I was like "Well....poo poo." And of course I spent minute or so punching every other case in the GCPD.

The best part of this is the lady cop at the soda machine: "I aint gonna stop him..."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

One thing I know he already mentioned is the total gutting of challenge maps which still makes me mad and I haven't played the game in months.

A thing that I've been disappointed with since city introduced them is that there's not enough sword people showing up in fights.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, what happens if you look at Haluci-joker with detective vision on?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

So, what happens if you look at Haluci-joker with detective vision on?

He's still there, he's just colored as a solid mass kinda like Clayface-Joker was, only a little darker shaded, to make his model be basically the same color as a building/other non-sentient level geometry.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TwoPair posted:

He's still there, he's just colored as a solid mass kinda like Clayface-Joker was, only a little darker shaded, to make his model be basically the same color as a building/other non-sentient level geometry.

That's sad. Imagine if he showed up in detective vision just like he does in 'reality'. That would certainly be different.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It'd make more sense if he didn't show up in detective vision at all. Like, you could still hear his voice, but it wouldn't appear to be coming from anywhere.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

CuwiKhons posted:

It'd make more sense if he didn't show up in detective vision at all. Like, you could still hear his voice, but it wouldn't appear to be coming from anywhere.

Well, it's still Batman's point of view in detective mode. It makes sense he'd be subject to the same delusions. If anything, it's weird that he isn't hallucinating the entire rest of the interface for Joker, heart rate, bones and all.

Though I like the idea with Joker appearing full-colour and just not caring about detective mode filters, now I kinda wish they had gone with that.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Aithon posted:

Though I like the idea with Joker appearing full-colour and just not caring about detective mode filters, now I kinda wish they had gone with that.

That would be incredible. Especially if the first time you tried it came with an "Ah ah ah! No peeking!" line from Mark Hamill. :allears:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey the Mad Hatter has been relegated to DLC this time. He's still a creepy poo poo but it's pretty good.

Batman In Wonderland/Polsy

New stories: False Dawn

Race 7: 2016 - Batmobile Proving Ground/Polsy

If you're wanting to work on drifting mechanics, the Proving Ground track is pretty good. Since it's literally impossible to even finish the drat thing without drifting. Also! At the start of the last video there was another Jokerfied billboard but I didn't leave it on video long enough. Here it is!

On a completely unrelated note that I'm excited about I auditioned for a community theater musical and now I've got parts in Avenue Q. Huzzah!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
HOLY poo poo BATMAN!! :stonk:

That looked....painful to say the least.

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 10, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh hey the Mad Hatter has been relegated to DLC this time. He's still a creepy poo poo but it's pretty good.

Batman In Wonderland/Polsy

New stories: False Dawn

Race 7: 2016 - Batmobile Proving Ground/Polsy

If you're wanting to work on drifting mechanics, the Proving Ground track is pretty good. Since it's literally impossible to even finish the drat thing without drifting. Also! At the start of the last video there was another Jokerfied billboard but I didn't leave it on video long enough. Here it is!

On a completely unrelated note that I'm excited about I auditioned for a community theater musical and now I've got parts in Avenue Q. Huzzah!

That DLC was really cool. The shading engine changes were awesome. Also batman killed that man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mad Hatter, much like the Riddler, has only gotten even more insane as the series went on. Like, in Origins, it's implied he's just brainwashing people due to being a loner. Here he's just flat out trying to do... something non-consensual and weird to Batman. :gonk:

• Locked thread