Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

you need to buy a mannequin or something to put all this poo poo on

Why on earth would he buy a mannequin when he could wear all of it himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress yes!!! Got the WoN Metroid!! After months of checking in my TRU had one in stock.

Didn't expect the head to be soft - it gives it a super icky feeling holding it! But so glad! Can finally pair it up with Figma Samus. Now to find a way to prop/hang it. Prob impossible haha.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
Well I was in Toy R Us in the morning and spotted the NECA Striker Eureka and after seeing it in person I had no choice but to buy it. It's absolutely fantastic looking and bonus it actually stands up properly. Is NECA planning on doing more of the Jaegers this way or is Striker the only one?

I also got my Figma Skyward Sword Link in the mail a couple days ago and I am seriously impressed. He looks amazing and poses really good even if you don't want to use the stand he comes with. I just wish I had a Ganon figure that matches the look. I have the Wind Waker Ganondorf figure but the style doesn't quite match.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They re-did Gipsy Danger a while back. The one with the boat. It's much bigger and more articulated than the previous version.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

They re-did Gipsy Danger a while back. The one with the boat. It's much bigger and more articulated than the previous version.
I've got that one and it's pretty great, and it can actually hold the boat two-handed pretty well.

I haven't cared much about NECA's kaiju figures, but I've grabbed all of their jaegers so far (aside from the dozen scene-specific Gipsy Danger variants).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only Kaiju I wanted was the flying one. But I forgot it came out and just stopped caring about it. I'm cool with my Gipsy's.

I'd rather spend all that money on the Alien/Predator stuff anyway.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If I just want a nice, movie accurate predator figure, what would I get?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wait until they redo the jungle hunter with the new body.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's an "ultimate" jungle hunter in the pipeline from NECA, it'll likely have alternate masked/unmasked heads, a bunch of alternate hands, and be around $23.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Why on earth would he buy a mannequin when he could wear all of it himself?

For my Batman Begins stuff, I am considering a mannequin for the suit for some of the time, but most of the time it will hang in my custom built armoire, which I've posted about here before. But I am building a brand new version from scratch that is accurately scaled. It stands about 82" tall and 52" wide. I have most of the structure up now, and I'm building the ornate front doors over the next few months.

I don't have the forearms built for this new suit yet, as I am still making the neoprene undersuit the armor mounts on. Again, probably a few months out.

For the 1989 Batman stuff, no suit, just some gadgets, and I don't have anything really fancy for those. But now with the speargun gauntlet I'm considering building a display that looks like the inside of the suit vault door where all the weapons were kept.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly kinda surprised you didn't go balls out and go full TDKR with a giant plexiglass case with insets.

Looks cool man!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm honestly kinda surprised you didn't go balls out and excavate a literal Batcave under your house.

Looks cool man!
FTFY

gregday
May 23, 2003

The advantage of the armoire is I can close the doors when company is over and not look like a goddamn psycho.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Until they accidentally lean on that bust of Shakespeare in your library and the whole thing is exposed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gregday posted:

The advantage of the armoire is I can close the doors when company is over and not look like a goddamn psycho.

Haha, like anyone in this thread ever has guests.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gregday posted:

What's the point of having a full set of Batman gear if you're not showing it to everyone who comes to your house? :confused:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rhyno posted:

Haha, like anyone in this thread ever has guests.

If I spent $200+ on a figure you bet your rear end I treat them like a guest in my house. :colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

gregday posted:

You don't need an armoire for that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel like "hidden trophy display of Batman costume and gear" makes you look way more psycho than "nicely displayed Batman movie props"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What genuinely confuses me is why, if he's spent (lowballing here) $100,000 on Batman gear, why he's not perpetually wearing them 24/7, if not outright engaging in vigilante justice while wearing them.

:iiam:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone here purchase Mafex figures?

I saw some shots of their Kylo Ren and HOLY poo poo - so goddamn good. Mostly in response to the face - it's perfect. How the gently caress??

And it's only $50 US?

What?!

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

I do - they're generally on par with Figma and Figuarts in terms of quality. Earlier Mafex figures (like the original TDKR Batman) had some problems with really loose joints, but I think they've mostly worked that out by this point. My Mafex Darth Vader doesn't have that problem, anyway.

Of course at this point I think that there are more Mafex figures announced than actually released, so who knows if the quality will stay as high as it is now.

Karnith fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 9, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Mafex Kylo is really promising, so here's hoping they do Han, Obi-Wan, etc. The few Black Series figs I have are decent, but the face sculpts are all over the place.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got my new Marvel Select Captain America and Spider-Man in the mail today, after ordering them from the Disney Store on Leap Day for 20% off with free shipping.

I wish Cap's thigh joints were a little tighter, and hopefully they will be on others. I'm overly paranoid about the figure doing splits while trying to stand in an upright position.

Other than that, the sculpt, paint, and articulation are all top-notch. The face reminds me A LOT of Chris Evans, and the costume is a spot-on blend of the modern comic, Ultimate, and movie designs.

His shield has two thin brown "leather" (plastic) straps, one to go around his wrist and the other to go in his (always open) right hand. He holds it at a nice forward face if you crook his wrist, otherwise it dangles loosely. I'm used to Cap figures with a more rigid loop or clip to lock the shield to his wrist, but Marvel Select didn't go for that.

I have him hanging out with Hawkeye (my only other Marvel Select figure) right now. Photos will follow.

Spider-Man is the quintessential classic Spidey, whether you're a fan of the Silver Age, Bronze Age, '80s, '90s, or today, with big eyes and bright red and blue colors. I haven't opened him yet. I was wondering if I could possibly still be okay with my Hasbro Amazing Spider-Man 2 version, which seemed so acceptable before I got my first Marvel Select figure last year.

And no, I'm no longer okay with it.

Marvel Select needs to make a Netflix-style Daredevil RIGHT NOW, and hopefully Luke Cage and Iron Fist to follow. After that, my biggest Marvel Select wish is Iron Man in his Mark I movie armor to replace the relatively small 6" Hasbro figure from the first movie line, but I'm sure that'll never happen.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Welp, just broke my NECA cherry on a random toys r us lunchtime stroll.

This thing is badass. It should be a crime this thing was just 22 bucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still think it is.

I remember when they were all 12.99 :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

. The few Black Series figs I have are decent, but the face sculpts are all over the place.

Word. How am I supposed to get a proper bromance representation when the Poe figure looks like rear end?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Word. How am I supposed to get a proper bromance representation when the Poe figure looks like rear end?

Oh man, Poe is the worst. Not only do they never look like Oscar Isaac, but most of them don't even look like normal human beings. It's as if the sculptors just tossed exactos at the prototype until it had something resembling a face.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The sculpts are apparently really good but there is like zero quality control for proper painting. I stick with masks and robots for Black Series since the humans look like loving garbage.

Repainted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh wow, those are really good. I must have got lucky before, my Finn and Rey are both pretty decent.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 9, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poe looks like Tommy Wiseau.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're tearing me apart Kylo!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I saw some shots of their Kylo Ren and HOLY poo poo - so goddamn good. Mostly in response to the face - it's perfect. How the gently caress??

And it's only $50 US?

What?!

The Mafex BvS Batman looks pretty good. I'll probably pick it up, since I missed the Mezco and skipped the Icons figure.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I have the Mafex Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on pre-order, hoping the movie is decent so I don't have to cancel them. Really wanting a higher tier of superhero figure, I wish they'd do some comic book style figures.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Travis343 posted:

I have the Mafex Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman on pre-order, hoping the movie is decent so I don't have to cancel them. Really wanting a higher tier of superhero figure, I wish they'd do some comic book style figures.

Are you going to be ashamed to own them or something? If the designs are something you like - something big enough to make you put money down before even seeing the full movie - who cares if its not to your liking?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I've got a bunch of random figures based on things I otherwise didn't care for, just because the designs were cool.

I thought the Engineer concept of albino giant humans was dumb as gently caress in Prometheus, but I still got the Chair Suit Engineer figure from NECA because it's a cool design and they executed it well in figure form.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I haven't actually paid for the figures yet, and they aren't scheduled to ship until like summer or later, so plenty of time to see the movie and make that decision. But yeah, I don't like to buy merch for movies (or TV shows or comics) I didn't like. Haven't bought any Terminator: Genysys figures either. Movie versions of superheros especially are so specific, I have a hard time letting them mix with the 'general population' of my figures. My NECA Batman 89 and Batman 66 are on the movie shelf, not the superhero shelf. I guess it's a little :spergin: but Im sure we all have our toy quirks.

As far as the designs the Batman and Wonder Woman are pretty solid, I'm less of a fan of the Superman with the weird rib fringe things. If the movie sucks I might still get the Wonder Woman, at least.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Capn Phasma regret, mostly. I'd imagine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superhero movies are far from one off appearances now though, so those designs are going to be around a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Superhero movies are far from one off appearances now though, so those designs are going to be around a while.

no way, they gotta redesign the outfits every movie so they can make more toys