Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're more smokey while a habanero is fruity, but not nearly as sweet as a scotch bonnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, I really like habs for their flavour as well as their heat, but bhuts and scorps are both pretty tasty. I like them better than jalapeņos, for example.

And whenever I have too many peppers, which I do most years, I just dry and pickle more or less equal quantities. If you want to preserve maximum flexibility for later applications you can freeze 'em as well.

What do you use them for fresh? I use a lot of peppers in dry rubs, in sambals/chutneys/relishes, and go through a lot just as random flavour for stir fries, pasta sauces, and whathaveyou. So drying and pickling pretty much covers it for me. If you were doing more poo poo where you wanted fresher peppers---like just roasting and slicing them, candying them, stuffing them, or whatever you'd probably get more use out of frozen peppers.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hey goons, first time poster in this subforum, just have a quick question since most of my friends are not much into cooking steak

if i'm making a sirloin steak in a red wine sauce, a sauce i want to be nice and sweet, what type of wine should i use? do you guys have any particular sauce recipes you could share? whatever advice you have would be super welcome, i'm used to just making steaks with salt/pepper/olive oil (a good combo imo but i want to expand).

PS: it's a bit cold yet where i am, so i will be pan-searing the steaks and then baking them the rest of the way, if that helps. :) hope this is the right place to ask this. thanks!

e: if it matters, I'm from Minnesota in the US. beef is generally pretty good here but I'm not sure what the standards of this forum are.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 11, 2016

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

hey goons, first time poster in this subforum, just have a quick question since most of my friends are not much into cooking steak

if i'm making a sirloin steak in a red wine sauce, a sauce i want to be nice and sweet, what type of wine should i use? do you guys have any particular sauce recipes you could share? whatever advice you have would be super welcome, i'm used to just making steaks with salt/pepper/olive oil (a good combo imo but i want to expand).

PS: it's a bit cold yet where i am, so i will be pan-searing the steaks and then baking them the rest of the way, if that helps. :) hope this is the right place to ask this. thanks!

e: if it matters, I'm from Minnesota in the US. beef is generally pretty good here but I'm not sure what the standards of this forum are.

No red wine sauce is gonna be super sweet unless you add honey or sugar to it. If you just want a sauce that is wine-ish and sweet try doing a port or sherry sauce.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

No red wine sauce is gonna be super sweet unless you add honey or sugar to it. If you just want a sauce that is wine-ish and sweet try doing a port or sherry sauce.

Ohh ok. Any particular brands you'd recommend? Or does it not matter that much? Thanks!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

Ohh ok. Any particular brands you'd recommend? Or does it not matter that much? Thanks!

If you have a Trader Joes nearby their ports are fairly reasonable and not bad tasting at all.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Spider Covets posted:

Much like steak, most, if not all, of wine's subtle richness and complexity is totally buttfucked by boiling it, as you will necessarily do when reducing the sauce.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Thank you goon spoon friends, I will experiment this weekend and hopefully all will be well!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

baquerd posted:

Much like steak, most, if not all, of wine's subtle richness and complexity is totally buttfucked by boiling it, as you will necessarily do when reducing the sauce.
As a technical point in general you shouldn't be boiling anything when you're doing a reduction, you should be simmering.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I hope this isn't a "is this rotten human leg still good" question.

Came back to check my drying chillis after last checking them a week ago.
Are the two red chillis on the bottom of this picture gone? Sorry for crappy phone pics...

Worst photo of all

I assume dark/black is bad?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

As a technical point in general you shouldn't be boiling anything when you're doing a reduction, you should be simmering.

Really? That seems like it would take forever for a simple red-wine pan sauce.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

baquerd posted:

Really? That seems like it would take forever for a simple red-wine pan sauce.

Yeah, you do it in a really really wide and big pan to get maximum surface area so it goes as fast as possible. You lose more aromatics and flavoids with boiling.

I'm still lazy and just let it go just past a simmer sometimes if idgaf.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
Sorry if this has been asked before, I went back a few pages and didn't see it. This has been driving me crazy. Many recipes (for pancakes, etc) say to make a well in the flour and pour in the wet ingredients. Why do this? They all end up mixed together anyway, right?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

girl pants posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, I went back a few pages and didn't see it. This has been driving me crazy. Many recipes (for pancakes, etc) say to make a well in the flour and pour in the wet ingredients. Why do this? They all end up mixed together anyway, right?

afaik it's so that the wet bits don't go oozing all over the counter/cutting board. If you're mixing in a bowl then just dump all that poo poo in.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always just do it because it's easy to pull dry ingredients bit by bit from the sides into the wet part.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I always just do it because it's easy to pull dry ingredients bit by bit from the sides into the wet part.

Is there an advantage to doing this vs just mashing everything together?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

girl pants posted:

Is there an advantage to doing this vs just mashing everything together?

From my minor experience, it goes a little faster and more evenly. I used to do the together-and-mix method, but sometimes missed pockets of dry flour that didn't break up, or it would take way more mixing because the amount of dry material overwhelms the wet at first. Of course, YMMV

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

From my minor experience, it goes a little faster and more evenly. I used to do the together-and-mix method, but sometimes missed pockets of dry flour that didn't break up, or it would take way more mixing because the amount of dry material overwhelms the wet at first. Of course, YMMV

Ok, thanks for letting me know! I just wondered if there was a reason since I know things like biscuits and scones are kind of finicky about overmixing the dough and I wondered if making a well in the dry ingredients had something to do with that. But it seems like it's just that things go a little faster / prevents a mess when mixing directly on the bench.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm vizzeling a corned beef slab right now but I can't find a good guide on the best way to do the cabbage, potatoes and carrots separately.

My plan was cut the potatoes into ~2inch cubes, get them in a big pan that's been prepped with a slice of bacon cut up into really small pieces (instead of olive oil), add the carrots at about the same time, cook for like, I dunno 15 minutes, then add the cabbage for another 5 or so, throw in some salt and pepper. Anything I could gently caress up here, or a better way to do it? If I wasn't vizzeling I'd just throw all the poo poo together in a crock pot.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

fickle poofterist posted:

I assume dark/black is bad?

Naah, they're probably fine. Now dont do what I did and go pick your nose after handling dried chilies! That was an afternoon to remember!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Suspect Bucket posted:

Naah, they're probably fine. Now dont do what I did and go pick your nose after handling dried chilies! That was an afternoon to remember!

More importantly don't go to take a piss

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have some delicious rice molasses. If it grows some yeast on the top, is it spoiled or can it be salvaged?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ive been super careful ever since I cut open the first one to harvest seeds and then put the tooth pick in my mouth. I literally just scraped it against the membrane to remove seeds, and stuck the toothpick in my mouth like a redneck. That was enough to get me chasing some milk for comfort.

Dspite being a seasoned chili eater, a postage stamp size slice of one of these would definitely be enough to incapacitate me for 20 mins or so.

Ive been wearing disposable gloves to handle the chillis since then.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Or have a wank.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Or have a wank.

What's that phrase... "Don't kinkshame"?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I lied, I'm making trinidad scorpion lube sorry for tricking

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Not as delicious as habaneros, but Ghost peppers definitely have a distinct flavor.

It's like smoked apples to me. I bet they'd be awesome in barbecue or baking.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 12, 2016

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so maybe I am dreaming, but don't we have a Hungarian thread somewhere? I can't seem to find via searching, but I got a whole buttload of stuff at the Hungarian butcher, and I found some site with some cool recipes

unf

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

That all looks pretty much fine to eat, as is no cutlery. It looks amazing. Hungarian is delicious also.

Is that a fat bag of handmade paprika? I've only ever found the crap little supermarket jars and it really is no match for "proper" paprika

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Yeah, I've had the salami (the super smoked one in the middle) before and it is great. I made some eggs and sliced some up to have with it.

The other two never tried, but I am using in this: http://zserbo.com/soups/the-great-tale-tellers-favorite-soup/

and yes it is! I was going to grab the normal tinned stuff and saw that.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Hopefully Pontius Pilate is still lurking this thread. If he doesn't tell, I will.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey I bought some Forest Sausage from the Polish Deli, do I cook this? They said it's twice smoked sausage. Or do i just eat it?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Hopefully Pontius Pilate is still lurking this thread. If he doesn't tell, I will.

Ok no response, so please tell

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

so maybe I am dreaming, but don't we have a Hungarian thread somewhere? I can't seem to find via searching, but I got a whole buttload of stuff at the Hungarian butcher, and I found some site with some cool recipes

unf

I was thinking about this and if you were looking for a hearty almost stodgy meal (whish is sometimes exactly what you want) then make a stew with the meat, and a batch of dumplings like nokidelli (sp) or even better, sztrapacska. If some of that sausage is more smoky (not necessarily heavy on spice), you could cut it up into chunks as a replacement for the smoky bacon.
Sztrapacska is an amazing winter/comfort food and well made sztrapacska is almost too filling and delicious to just be a side. I would reccomend two further ingredients: excellent cheese curd/goats cheese for the sztrapacska, and a few good friends to help you eat it.

If you haven't eaten it before, it will be a revelation. If you have then you know exactly how awesome it can be.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ok no response, so please tell

I don't recall which type of peppers he was cutting, but he didn't get his hands quite clean enough before taking a piss. When I got there about an hour later, there was a glass of milk on the bathroom counter and, for some reason, I knew I should NOT drink that.

EDIT: actually I have a question of my own: can I substitute cream or half and half for milk in a basic pancake recipe? This is unrelated to the previous story.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 13, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

EDIT: actually I have a question of my own: can I substitute cream or half and half for milk in a basic pancake recipe? This is unrelated to the previous story.

Yes for half and half, just reduce the amount of oil/melted butter that you add to compensate.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 13, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I don't recall which type of peppers he was cutting, but he didn't get his hands quite clean enough before taking a piss. When I got there about an hour later, there was a glass of milk on the bathroom counter and, for some reason, I knew I should NOT drink that.

I wonder if lite or low fat milk reduces the effectiveness of CHILLI COCK BURN at all.

Since i last posted I have eaten a couple more pieces and I am not sure what psychological condition makes me do it. Endorphins? Dopamine? Who knows but I know I will try it again even though I know how ridiculous it is.

The most recent time I had a shot glass of icecream ready for me to melt, similar to Homer Simpson ala chilli festival.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Since i last posted I have eaten a couple more pieces and I am not sure what psychological condition makes me do it. Endorphins? Dopamine?

Stupidity.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I was thinking about this and if you were looking for a hearty almost stodgy meal (whish is sometimes exactly what you want) then make a stew with the meat, and a batch of dumplings like nokidelli (sp) or even better, sztrapacska. If some of that sausage is more smoky (not necessarily heavy on spice), you could cut it up into chunks as a replacement for the smoky bacon.
Sztrapacska is an amazing winter/comfort food and well made sztrapacska is almost too filling and delicious to just be a side. I would reccomend two further ingredients: excellent cheese curd/goats cheese for the sztrapacska, and a few good friends to help you eat it.

If you haven't eaten it before, it will be a revelation. If you have then you know exactly how awesome it can be.

oh man, I looked this stuff up, this looks wonderful! szolonna might actually be better for that dish than the sausages I've got. I am definitely writing this down to try soon - thanks!

do you have a preferred recipe for those dishes? I can find some stuff on google obviously, but you know what you are talking about :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Yes for half and half, just reduce the amount of oil/melted butter that you add to compensate.

I ended up running out for milk and syrup, but I'll keep this in mind in the future. I'm constantly frustrated by recipes that need milk as I don't drink it and thus almost never keep it around.