Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Justified is quality TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Catastrophe is very good.

British TV is pretty good atm. The BBC have had a lot of great dramas in recent times. Happy Valley, Peaky Blinders, Honourable Woman, The Night Manager, plus that Taboo show they made with FX coming soon. And I hear good things about that War and Peace adaptation too.

Your list is missing And Then There Were None :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VagueRant posted:

Goons! What TV show am I a fool for not watching right now? I'll try the first recommendation for a show I haven't seen.

'cause even though I'm still working my way through Pan Dulce's Buffy viewing guide from way back in January, I'm once again searching for something new. Some things I have enjoyed for reference: Better Call Saul, Jessica Jones (but not Daredevil weirdly), The 100 (eventually!), Arrow seasons 1-2, Nikita 1-2, Burn Notice 1-2, kinda sorta Game of Thrones, 24 seasons 1-5, Community, Due South.

Oh and I've tried Hannibal already. Not Sons of Anarchy though...I know people hate it and the creator around here but is the early stuff good enough to watch?

There's this really great show called the Killing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VagueRant posted:

Goons! What TV show am I a fool for not watching right now? I'll try the first recommendation for a show I haven't seen.

'cause even though I'm still working my way through Pan Dulce's Buffy viewing guide from way back in January, I'm once again searching for something new. Some things I have enjoyed for reference: Better Call Saul, Jessica Jones (but not Daredevil weirdly), The 100 (eventually!), Arrow seasons 1-2, Nikita 1-2, Burn Notice 1-2, kinda sorta Game of Thrones, 24 seasons 1-5, Community, Due South.

Oh and I've tried Hannibal already. Not Sons of Anarchy though...I know people hate it and the creator around here but is the early stuff good enough to watch?

rectify

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Terriers.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

VagueRant posted:

Limitless.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

boom boom boom posted:

Do they ever get into the Court of Owls in Gotham? That seems perfect for this show

gently caress the Court of Owls, they are the worst thing ever to happen to Batman.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

gently caress the Court of Owls, they are the worst thing ever to happen to Batman.

I have not even read court of owls but I assure you that is not true

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ravane posted:

Limitless.
18thing Limitless.

Also Bates Motel just started its fourth season, and the first three are all good too.

For a comedy, immediately watch seasons 1 and 2 of You're The Worst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I see people recommending Limitless but I would say Lucifer, it's way more entertaining and picks off immediately rather than having episode 2-5 be an incredibly formulatic bore.

VagueRant posted:

Season 1 is legitimately good, 2 is ok and everything else is hot steaming garbage. It's not the fun kind of bad like say Dexter, it's the boring kind.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 9, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I have not even read court of owls but I assure you that is not true

They are likely neither the worst Court nor the worst Owls to happen to Batman.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Agents of SHIELD is watchable now. unfortunately, Arrow and The Flash have gone to poo poo. maybe I should start watching Supergirl? I need dumb but okay superhero shows to watch. :smith:

lol, the only good TV show I'm watching now is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Questions:
1. Is Supergirl good?
2. Did The Magicians become not garbage from episode 3 onwards?
3. What light, low stakes serialized shows should I be watching, other than of course catching up on iZombie when possible?

1. I have really enjoyed Supergirl so far. Watch the pilot; if you really hate it I probably wouldn't bother with the series. If you like it I would definitely watch more as the series has continued to improve throughout the year. It has been much better than this seasons flash/Arrow.

2. Magicians you either love or hate. I read the series but don't really care about any changes from the books. I've loved the show so far but it is not much different from the first 3 episodes. you either like it or you dont.

3. Limitless. Lucifer. I also enjoy Elementary, thats on season 4 already though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbaldrick posted:

You really think Snyder's run is the worst thing to happen to Batman?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

Justified is quality TV.

Agreed. I love the almost The Shield-esque way that they let character actors like Margo Martindale and Neal McDonough and Jim Beaver show up out of nowhere and just completely dominate a given season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Except Kurt Sutter wasn't ever allowed near Justified, so it's not full of unmitigated machismo garbage.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sleeveless posted:

Agreed. I love the almost The Shield-esque way that they let character actors like Margo Martindale and Neal McDonough and Jim Beaver show up out of nowhere and just completely dominate a given season.

Archvillain of the Season is the standard Buffy model, which predates The Shield.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Snak posted:

Except Kurt Sutter wasn't ever allowed near Justified, so it's not full of unmitigated machismo garbage.

Sutter actually basically hated the show because they committed the sin of listening to input from the actors.

Pretty much right after this came out, the crew made it a point in like every interview to go "Oh yeah, that was awesome, wasn't it? (actor) came up with it"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Holy poo poo, I have somehow not realised that Jim Beaver is the guy from Supernatural who is the same guy from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul who is the same guy from Justified AND apparently Deadwood too? That dude is a chameleon...of portly old grizzled southerners.

Anyway Rectify (which I'd not heard of) is first on the list as per my promise*. And I'll deffo check out Limitless too - I didn't know there was positive buzz for that one.

*I tried The Killing. Also Terriers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Holy poo poo, I have somehow not realised that Jim Beaver is the guy from Supernatural who is the same guy from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul who is the same guy from Justified AND apparently Deadwood too? That dude is a chameleon...of portly old grizzled southerners.

Anyway Rectify (which I'd not heard of) is first on the list as per my promise*. And I'll deffo check out Limitless too - I didn't know there was positive buzz for that one.

*I tried The Killing. Also Terriers.

Watch Deadwood

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch Deadwood

I'm midway through season 2 and it's such a great show. Helps me get my Olyphant fix too now that Justified is gone.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch Deadwood
You can't cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.
--Albert loving Swearengen

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

Sutter actually basically hated the show because they committed the sin of listening to input from the actors.

Pretty much right after this came out, the crew made it a point in like every interview to go "Oh yeah, that was awesome, wasn't it? (actor) came up with it"

Yeah, Timothy Olyphant came up with the most badass line ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-K5RlyKcfo

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think I'm the one goon that didn't like Justified and hatewatched basically all of it because of great moments like that. What I liked even more is when the bad guys used that bullet to kill someone and Raylan had to sit in an office and explain to a DA why he threw a bullet at a guy.

Were the gasoline spray and the tablecloth pull moments also Olyphant's doing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FYI Amazon Prime has the whole series up for streaming. The first season is the only questionable one, the rest are amazing back to front.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Limitless the TV show is so far beyond what I imagined it would be. I mean the movie was....fine. It was absolutely 100% a movie that was available to watch, that is about the most praise I have for it. It's not bad, it's not great, it exists. The show took an alright premise and really ran with it. The art direction is superb, the way they integrate his "NZT brain" or even his normal stoner brain into the visuals of the show so you can see the things his brain is churning through. All the actors are really good, even the lame FBI babysitter characters get fleshed out and you start to like them more and more. It's just so fun, I don't think anybody expected the show based on a flash in the pan Bradley Cooper movie to be their favourite show of the season.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

VagueRant posted:

Person of Interest, Justified and Fargo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Americans is better than Justified, Fargo, and anything else FX or FXX has ever done.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mu Zeta posted:

better than Fargo

Someone call the asylum, we got a loose inmate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The Americans is better than Justified, Fargo, and anything else FX or FXX has ever done.

When it's all said and done The Americans might be an all time top ten show, so not the fairest comparison.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If I didn't like the movie Fargo, and I don't like slow burn type shows (Better Call Saul walks a fiiiiiine line with me) - would I like the Fargo TV show?

Peeps here seem to love it, but those are a lot of red flags.

EDIT: v Darn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VagueRant posted:

If I didn't like the movie Fargo, and I don't like slow burn type shows (Better Call Saul walks a fiiiiiine line with me) - would I like the Fargo TV show?

No.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reply is not Edit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Peeps here seem to love it, but those are a lot of red flags.

Just watch episode 1 of Fargo and decide after that. It's probably the best TV pilot in recent memory.

I never liked the movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

zoux posted:

When it's all said and done The Americans might be an all time top ten show, so not the fairest comparison.

I don't agree with this at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Movie fargo is way better than the show, but the show is also excellent. I still don't get the aliens in season 2 but I don't think I want to know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't agree with this at all.

I'm shocked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Movie fargo is way better than the show, but the show is also excellent. I still don't get the aliens in season 2 but I don't think I want to know.

There's nothing to get.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe season 1, but season 2 is easily one of the best seasons of any show. Ever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Maybe season 1, but season 2 is easily one of the best seasons of any show. Ever.

Pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Still think Sopranos season 1 is a perfect season.

• Locked thread