Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Tonight with good teamwork with randoms and admitting I needed help I was able to win a game against a Plat level player lane oppoent who dominated me in CS and mechanics. I feel gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Good night, Kalista. It was fun having you as a competitive power pick essentially since release.

PBE posted:

Kalista
Attack speed growth reduced to 2.5 from 3
Base attack speed changed to 0.644 from 0.694
Sentinel (W)
[new mechanic] Kalista now gains [9 + 1 % per level] attack speed when near her Oathsworn.
Active's lap reduced to 3 from 7.

Fate's Call (R) range to cast ability lowered to 1000 from 1400

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Golden Sun's ultimate should have just been a global silence like Silencer's ult and call it Voice of the End or some poo poo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tequila Sunrise posted:

The insane knee-jerk reactions to new champs are so funny. People are already flipping the gently caress out because Alien Soul can pull off a huge aoe stun. Of course, in order to do this:

-Enemy team must be together
-In mid lane
-Must be post 20 minutes
-E must be off it's long cooldown
-your team must be in position to engage immediately

Bronze plays here I come!!!!!!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sexpansion posted:

Good night, Kalista. It was fun having you as a competitive power pick essentially since release.

Good!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

seizure later posted:

Golden Sun's ultimate should have just been a global silence like Silencer's ult and call it Voice of the End or some poo poo.

Riot would make global silence seven seconds and scale with ap

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

mistaya posted:

Really the sad thing is that Sion hasn't gotten any skins since his rework, but I think Sion is also the champion who is least played with a skin in the game. Which makes some sense to me because his base model is really drat good.

What I don't understand is they will have discontinued sucky skins for champs, but after many years they will give the champ a visual update and make the old skins actually decent looking, like Hextech Sion is now a decent skin but you can't buy it.

Poppy has 6 skins but after the visual rework you can only buy 2.

I don't quite understand that besides appeasing the grognards that get mad they can't have something all to themselves.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

exethan posted:

Thresh is still strong but I think anyone who can play him competently will get more mileage out of playing something easier and more more straightforward like janner or leoner or moganer

I think I've played maybe more Thresh than anyone here (if there's someone I'm forgetting, apologies), including long stretches of playing nearly only Thresh in ranked 5s with Goons in the previous two seasons and a lot of games in solo queue ranked. I don't think Thresh is fantastic right now, he's certainly something you CAN play with anything and is versatile and flexible, but I don't actually have a lot of scenarios where I can say "Thresh is the objectively best pick to make" so I mainly only play him now when I want to have a fun game throwing hooks and lanterns.

Thresh's major downsides besides the obvious of his mechanical complexity:
1a) Nerfs to his base kit over the years have left him as one of the least durable hard engage support champions in the game. You have to engage some fights to win games as Thresh and he isn't durable to survive the burst rotation of really any well farmed carry of an enemy team unless he can totally pick and disable them.

1b) Subsequently, he is great in chaotic skirmish games, but he's really underwhelming in a straight-up 5v5 team fight which is what a lot of win-or-lose the game scenarios come down to in solo queue.

2a) He has no reliable way to make use of any of the Keystone masteries. Looks like most solo queue and pro players 50/50 on Thunderlord's and Bond of Stone and neither of them are fantastic on Thresh, both of them can end up liabilities if you position him poorly.

2b) I really think supports who can proc Windspeaker's Blessing on many people are the strongest supports right now. The win-rates fairly broadly reflect that. Giving your team a bunch of free resists just for existing and using your abilities gives you a lot of "hidden power" over the course of the fight. Especially if you aren't mechanically flawless as a support player, things like Janna, Soraka, Alistar, Nami, Taric, and Sona are all pretty straightforward to play and you can just blast Windspeaker's all over your team.

Lady Naga posted:

Sol seems very much my poo poo.

Losing lane? Better call Sol.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

Losing lane? Better call Sol.

I'm sure your Thresh play is good, but your prestige TV reference game is truly on point.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think Sol's ultimate would feel better if it was a cone honestly. At least then it is a much bigger visual without being that much more powerful. As it is now it's just kind of there, heck you could swap it with the comet thing and it wouldn't look out of place. Like the two defining parts of his kit are his passive and his e, with his q being a pretty visible and potentially cool spell his ult just comes across as there for the sake of it.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
must give aoe damage ultimate with situational crowd control effect

must design new champion for number one online game league of legends clash of fates

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think if Sol's ult was a Shyvana E-shaped cone with about half its current range it would feel a lot more impactful and dragon-like.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Watching Sol's jungling, I like him more than I thought I originally did.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I like how his lore has him being enslaved by aliens.

No Void bullshit, no Staring into the Abyss, no Corrupted by Old Ones.

No, just straight aliens getting a collar and him being disgruntled.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I back for dcap, tell my team I'm doing this in chat, and while I'm still in base our Blitz goes for an aggressive play and the rest of my team follows up and nearly gets wiped off it

Are they right to blame me for not staying with the team? :negative:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
League queues seemed broken this morning so I played some tf2 instead. Much better experience than league would have been.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Voxx posted:

must give aoe damage ultimate with situational crowd control effect

must design new champion for number one online game league of legends clash of fates

ok so this is like the number one thing people gripe about whenever league makes a new champion is the kit design and they always pull out some random rear end meme that changes each time with whatever the kit has

"oh %hp damage what a shocker!"
"oh he has dashes and a unique passive, should have seen that one coming"
"man he has CC on his ult, how original"

it was a meme for a while during Season 3 when a lot of the champ designs had the same concept to them but it really isn't applicable anymore, gently caress off with these retard posts

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If your team was positioned in a way that a team fight seemed very likely you probably shouldn't have gone back unless you absolutely don't win the fight without a deathcap.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

ungulateman posted:

I think if Sol's ult was a Shyvana E-shaped cone with about half its current range it would feel a lot more impactful and dragon-like.

Syndra's e exists, which is probably why they didn't go for the cone.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

I back for dcap, tell my team I'm doing this in chat, and while I'm still in base our Blitz goes for an aggressive play and the rest of my team follows up and nearly gets wiped off it

Are they right to blame me for not staying with the team? :negative:

It depends on a couple of things

were you and your team showing multiple members in a lane and so were the enemy team or were you just passively wave clearing with top lane doing top lane stuff and jungler doing jungle camps?
did you back in vision of the enemy team?
were the enemy team threatening an objective?
would the enemy team be able to take an objective during your back?

i think if you were just passively wave clearing and the bot lane could make up for your absence while you returned then it could be argued that it was ok for you to go for the dcap but if those last three boxes were ticked then you probably shouldn't have backed

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe

Luna Was Here posted:

ok so this is like the number one thing people gripe about whenever league makes a new champion is the kit design and they always pull out some random rear end meme that changes each time with whatever the kit has

"oh %hp damage what a shocker!"
"oh he has dashes and a unique passive, should have seen that one coming"
"man he has CC on his ult, how original"

it was a meme for a while during Season 3 when a lot of the champ designs had the same concept to them but it really isn't applicable anymore, gently caress off with these retard posts

its more of a joke that they apparently went back to the drawing board multiple times over the last few years which could probably mean they were trying to make a kit that was too much work for their dev team and they ended up with just an aoe ult. his comet fly move and passive are interesting but generally riot has tried to make ultimates the 'signature move' or whatever that solidifies the identity of the hero or is extremely impactful for their play. all dragon dude gets is a line damage ult that pushes dudes back into his extended orb range.

with the way riot hypes dudes up sometimes people just expect more, especially since riot has been on a diversify spree about how each hero should play uniquely in some aspect for their role. which has been a warranted complaint about the game for the last 5-6 years with riot just number balancing slightly different heroes instead of pushing them into stronger niches.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Voxx posted:

its more of a joke that they apparently went back to the drawing board multiple times over the last few years which could probably mean they were trying to make a kit that was too much work for their dev team and they ended up with just an aoe ult. his comet fly move and passive are interesting but generally riot has tried to make ultimates the 'signature move' or whatever that solidifies the identity of the hero or is extremely impactful for their play. all dragon dude gets is a line damage ult that pushes dudes back into his extended orb range.

with the way riot hypes dudes up sometimes people just expect more, especially since riot has been on a diversify spree about how each hero should play uniquely in some aspect for their role. which has been a warranted complaint about the game for the last 5-6 years with riot just number balancing slightly different heroes instead of pushing them into stronger niches.

I think the reason this one feels ultimately so plain is we were expecting a lot more. Riot was on reddit all the time talking about 'the new tech' that went into Syrian doll, and reddit themselves circle jerked over the ao shin art so hard over the last few months that riot probably got tired of their poo poo.

I also think this is the first new champion in a while where the thing that defines them isn't their passive but rather an actual ability of theirs and I think that's really cool IMO

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
IMHO his Q should be his ult and it grows and moves the same speed as he does, so he can swoop in for huge AoE stuns, and his Q should be a baby version of his ult. Small pushback, waveclear, decent damage.

Basically just switch his Q and his R.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Luna Was Here posted:

It depends on a couple of things

were you and your team showing multiple members in a lane and so were the enemy team or were you just passively wave clearing with top lane doing top lane stuff and jungler doing jungle camps?
did you back in vision of the enemy team?
were the enemy team threatening an objective?
would the enemy team be able to take an objective during your back?

i think if you were just passively wave clearing and the bot lane could make up for your absence while you returned then it could be argued that it was ok for you to go for the dcap but if those last three boxes were ticked then you probably shouldn't have backed

nope, nope and possibly? they were all up but none were showing and then while i'm in base 2 or 3 show mid, blitz goes around their ramp to hook someone and immediately gets collapsed on

fwiw we never lost mid t1 (or the game for that matter, i'm just salty about Silver Plays)

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

nope, nope and possibly? they were all up but none were showing and then while i'm in base 2 or 3 show mid, blitz goes around their ramp to hook someone and immediately gets collapsed on

fwiw we never lost mid t1 (or the game for that matter, i'm just salty about Silver Plays)

I think this is part of the reason that "team fighting" champions rule lower elos, it's because people are just so fight-hungry all the time.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

AHH FUGH posted:

IMHO his Q should be his ult and it grows and moves the same speed as he does, so he can swoop in for huge AoE stuns, and his Q should be a baby version of his ult. Small pushback, waveclear, decent damage.

Basically just switch his Q and his R.

How would this improve the champion whatsoever...

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe

Sexpansion posted:

I think this is part of the reason that "team fighting" champions rule lower elos, it's because people are just so fight-hungry all the time.

Blood soaks into wood
Crimson and brown together
1v1 me nerd

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Argona posted:

Syndra's e exists, which is probably why they didn't go for the cone.

Nah, my idea is that it would be a fuckoff huge zone of damage rather than a thin, long blast (as it is now) or a projectile delivery system (which is what Syndra's E actually is). The current ult feels too long-range for a mage who is otherwise quite focused on getting close but not too close to people, and its behaviour is less like a dragon's breath and more like a generic wizard spell.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Firebert posted:

How would this improve the champion whatsoever...

Tossing a screen-sized star at people feels way more ultimate level than a basic line AoE with a knockback and slow.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's plenty of other champs whose signature thing is on basic abilities and have a tacked-on "just give 'em some extra AoE for teamfights" ult (Braum, Viktor, Illaoi, Aatrox, etc)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Tossing a screen-sized star at people feels way more ultimate level than a basic line AoE with a knockback and slow.

And then the champ is loving worthless without ult, how is that better design?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I was just explaining the reasoning behind "they should swap his Q and R". Visually it makes sense, but I think I agree that mechanically he's pretty sound with how they arranged his skills now and he'd be weaker with that kind of swap.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert posted:

And then the champ is loving worthless without ult, how is that better design?

You could put the ult on ridiculously low CD, still making it his signature spell but forcing a level 6 power spike. I don't tend to like champs who basically HAVE to avoid fighting until 6 but I think that's because they're almost all champs who revolve around somewhat long-ish CD extremely powerful ults, and there's probably some design space where they put a very strong skill on ult but give it a low cd to change the complexion of how the champ spikes in a way more subtle way than say, redesigned kog.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Libertine posted:

I think I've played maybe more Thresh than anyone here (if there's someone I'm forgetting, apologies), including long stretches of playing nearly only Thresh in ranked 5s with Goons in the previous two seasons and a lot of games in solo queue ranked. I don't think Thresh is fantastic right now, he's certainly something you CAN play with anything and is versatile and flexible, but I don't actually have a lot of scenarios where I can say "Thresh is the objectively best pick to make" so I mainly only play him now when I want to have a fun game throwing hooks and lanterns.

Thresh's major downsides besides the obvious of his mechanical complexity:
1a) Nerfs to his base kit over the years have left him as one of the least durable hard engage support champions in the game. You have to engage some fights to win games as Thresh and he isn't durable to survive the burst rotation of really any well farmed carry of an enemy team unless he can totally pick and disable them.

1b) Subsequently, he is great in chaotic skirmish games, but he's really underwhelming in a straight-up 5v5 team fight which is what a lot of win-or-lose the game scenarios come down to in solo queue.

2a) He has no reliable way to make use of any of the Keystone masteries. Looks like most solo queue and pro players 50/50 on Thunderlord's and Bond of Stone and neither of them are fantastic on Thresh, both of them can end up liabilities if you position him poorly.

2b) I really think supports who can proc Windspeaker's Blessing on many people are the strongest supports right now. The win-rates fairly broadly reflect that. Giving your team a bunch of free resists just for existing and using your abilities gives you a lot of "hidden power" over the course of the fight. Especially if you aren't mechanically flawless as a support player, things like Janna, Soraka, Alistar, Nami, Taric, and Sona are all pretty straightforward to play and you can just blast Windspeaker's all over your team.

I think I've played a pretty similar number of Thresh games (maybe a handful more across smurfs) and I pretty much agree. This is the first season since his release that he hasn't been my most played champ. I think he still does have a place in pick/skirmish comps, but his former roles as one of the best generalist support picks has in many ways been taken over by Bard, and he often end up feeling like a very fragile choice (especially late game versus LW items).

His lantern is still gamechanging, and it seems as though at higher levels that's a big part of why he gets picked, but with the Kalista nerfs his lane combo with her will probably fall off a bit more in popularity.

For keystones, I think he's best when he can go Thunderlords and snowball a lane advantage, but that isn't possible in a lot of matchups and can hit or miss -- I personally think the 45% cdr is more compelling than any keystone, but it does mean that you're even squishier.

He's definitely balanced around a high skillcap, but at this point in solo queue is still around 48% despite the fact that the average number of games players have on him is 91, the highest among supports, which does raise questions about the theory that people who don't play support defaulting to him can explain it.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Ugh, not quite as good as a champion being disabled, but it's still early in the patch. I'm sure at least one champ will be deactivated for a week.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have to play Sol just got the gimmick name gently caress

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
pretty sure the Clubs thing isn't live. lying loving patch notes.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
god new J4 is disgusting

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

You could put the ult on ridiculously low CD, still making it his signature spell but forcing a level 6 power spike. I don't tend to like champs who basically HAVE to avoid fighting until 6 but I think that's because they're almost all champs who revolve around somewhat long-ish CD extremely powerful ults, and there's probably some design space where they put a very strong skill on ult but give it a low cd to change the complexion of how the champ spikes in a way more subtle way than say, redesigned kog.

I think kassadin is a good example of a champ that does this. His lane phase consists of turtling and praying you don't get ganked, but then at 6 you actually start playing the game. Similarly it's a low CD, moderately powerful (ignoring the escape aspect of it), and defines his fighting style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Primetime posted:

I think kassadin is a good example of a champ that does this. His lane phase consists of turtling and praying you don't get ganked, but then at 6 you actually start playing the game. Similarly it's a low CD, moderately powerful (ignoring the escape aspect of it), and defines his fighting style

Twisted Fate is similar, although not as bad

• Locked thread