Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/09/nexus-5x-update-includes-cooler-color-temp-option-performance-improvements-and-more/

In regards to the aforementioned 5x patch, it seems there's actual kernel tweaking in there aimed at fixing "sluggish performance" so we'll see if it fixes peoples woes. Also you can make the display color temp cooler now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Moto G3 with Android 6.0:

Every now and then my phone starts to run like garbage (very unresponsive, things take a long time to load, Facebook et al only show a blank white page, etc) so I restart it. Every single time I do this it softlocks on "Optimizing App 1 of 1..." and to get around it I have to wait maybe 10 minutes and then force shutdown and restart again. If I do it too soon it'll just hang on the optimizing message again. I've tried waiting it out but it still sticks around after several hours.

I may be wrong but is it likely that single app the phone fails to "optimize" is causing it to run like crap too? Is there any way to find out what that app is so I can finally kill it?

For the record: When I restart the phone while it's behaving normally this does not happen.

Sounds like a corrupted cache but if it's getting rebuilt every time and it keeps happening then it's something that's corrupting it over and over (or failing NAND). Aside from a factory reset and gradually reinstalling apps, I'm not sure there's a way to troubleshoot this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You could try clearing the cache partition by booting into recovery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The cache is being rebuilt when it's "Optimizing Apps..." so that should already be doing that but you're right, it can't hurt.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

a Hideo Kojima production

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

The cache is being rebuilt when it's "Optimizing Apps..." so that should already be doing that but you're right, it can't hurt.

Well, the recovery option reformats the cache partition. So, if it's filesystem corruption, it may fix it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

CLAM DOWN posted:

4G and LTE are different connection levels on my N6 and Note 5. When I was in New Zealand on their carriers, I only got 4G and not LTE, but back here I get LTE and no 4G, so I'm honestly not sure what the difference is.

On a lot of carriers, 4G is actually "faster than regular 3G" or HSPA+. "4G LTE" is just LTE. Carriers started rebranding 3G as 4G because their LTE networks weren't ready yet but they did have 3G networks capable of going up to LTE-ish speeds, like 20Mbps or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

bull3964 posted:

Well, the recovery option reformats the cache partition. So, if it's filesystem corruption, it may fix it.

Cool, I'll give this a try thanks! I'll let you know if it worked in like a week when it's due to happen again :v:

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Now I'm sometimes getting 4G+? This is separate from H and H+ which occur occasionally (and when I make calls) which I assume indicate HSPA coverage. Did I somehow get some kind of weird international variant?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Require More Fire posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/09/nexus-5x-update-includes-cooler-color-temp-option-performance-improvements-and-more/

In regards to the aforementioned 5x patch, it seems there's actual kernel tweaking in there aimed at fixing "sluggish performance" so we'll see if it fixes peoples woes. Also you can make the display color temp cooler now.

Having installed it and been running it for a day and a half, I can say the difference with this patch is literally night and day. The 5x is actually a nice phone now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

4G and LTE are different connection levels on my N6 and Note 5. When I was in New Zealand on their carriers, I only got 4G and not LTE, but back here I get LTE and no 4G, so I'm honestly not sure what the difference is.
There is some logic built into Android to toggle what is displayed based on the network that you're connected to. "4G"/"4" and "LTE"/"L" are exactly the same thing. In the UK you'll see 4G whereas in America you'll see LTE I think? It basically toggles based on how the tech is best known in that region.

Note that this is not at all related to dumb US carriers doing poo poo on their branded phones like making HSPA show as 4G. Absolute pure vanilla virgin unblemished unbranded bloatware-free Android devices working just as Our Lord Duarte intended will still do this. It isn't anything to do with the vendor partition either. I first noticed it on my N7 years ago.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Tunga posted:

There is some logic built into Android to toggle what is displayed based on the network that you're connected to. "4G"/"4" and "LTE"/"L" are exactly the same thing. In the UK you'll see 4G whereas in America you'll see LTE I think? It basically toggles based on how the tech is best known in that region.

Note that this is not at all related to dumb US carriers doing poo poo on their branded phones like making HSPA show as 4G. Absolute pure vanilla virgin unblemished unbranded bloatware-free Android devices working just as Our Lord Duarte intended will still do this. It isn't anything to do with the vendor partition either. I first noticed it on my N7 years ago.

Yeah, there is a whole set of carrier profiles baked into AOSP that defines what icon should appear, for what network state, in what carrier. It's also the same set of data that defines things like whether tethering should contact the carrier to check for authorization.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

Having installed it and been running it for a day and a half, I can say the difference with this patch is literally night and day. The 5x is actually a nice phone now.

I just installed it. I'm considering jumping to the Android N preview, except last time the M preview made my train pass app not work...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google is offering a 25% discount on the Pixel C if you are a developer. This is the first sign that Google might be taking tablet support seriously.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

FunOne posted:

So, Ars Technica posted then pulled a "Surprise, the Android N Developer Preview is out right now" post, complete with details and links. So either their April 1st content is getting loaded, or there is something coming soon.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2016/03/first-preview-of-android-n-developer.html

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I downloaded it but don't really want to wipe my phone while at work this week. I'll see if I have time tonight.

Adulting sucks. I never have time to play.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't run pre-beta software on your phones, you idiots.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

kitten smoothie posted:

How's battery life for you?

Seriously, one of my huge problems with the 5X was the 3h SoT. If this fixes it, I might look at it again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, Google will be launching a beta program signup later today that will get you the preview build OTA as well as all subsequent builds to the final version. Probably a better option than manual flashing if you have a device you want to use with it.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I was going to get Nexus 5X to replace my aging Moto G pos but reading this thread has me worried :stare:

Can some people with working Nexus 5X chime in and reassure my potential choice of superior Google LG hardware?

6P is out, too expensive in this corner of euroland. Was looking at Z5C/Z3C also but those seem to have their own problems...

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

ah forget it posted:

I was going to get Nexus 5X to replace my aging Moto G pos but reading this thread has me worried :stare:

Can some people with working Nexus 5X chime in and reassure my potential choice of superior Google LG hardware?

6P is out, too expensive in this corner of euroland. Was looking at Z5C/Z3C also but those seem to have their own problems...

I have a 5x and literally have had zero problems with it IRT battery life and performance, but there are enough complaints out there (and an incoming patch from Google addressing the performance stuff) that it's not just people being idiots; there's certainly a problem for some users. Probably a lot comes down to usage cases. I'm a very light user; I don't install any games and my average daily SoT is around 2 hours. Compare that to Daily Forecast above who didn't find 3hrs SoT acceptable, so obviously our usage cases are different and we're going to have different opinions of the phone.

In other words it's a fine phone but it's not a powerhouse so YMMV.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Google is offering a 25% discount on the Pixel C if you are a developer. This is the first sign that Google might be taking tablet support seriously.

Too bad for the price point, even with 25% off, the Pixel C isnt worth getting. More so when you consider how much their keyboard costs and the serious lack of features it has at that price point(big one, no backlit keyboard, for a $150.00 cost, what the hell Google?). Where the Surface Pro did things right, the Pixel C did almost all of it wrong.

But, its a step in the right direction and i really hope to see a better product next iteration. Android Tablets are fantastic, except for the lack of Flash. I really want to see Google step up their game a bit.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Daily Forecast posted:

How's battery life for you?

Seriously, one of my huge problems with the 5X was the 3h SoT. If this fixes it, I might look at it again.

It's fine? I guess I don't nitpick over screen on time to really know; I just use my phone and it works fine for the way I use it. I charge my phone at night, I have it plugged in to my car using Android Auto for my 30 minute morning drive, and I otherwise just have it sitting on my desk.

The main kicker I notice is that previously if you ended up pulling down 5-10 apps from the store (say you did an update en masse), that used to grind the 5x to a complete halt until you rebooted. This is not a problem anymore. The camera also launches consistently quickly now.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Lol at all the Nexus 5 owners disappointed that it's not for them, but yet holding out hope that the final version of N will be available for them for some reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

except for the lack of Flash.
This is a good thing, actually.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ah forget it posted:

I'm really happy with mine. The performance issues were rare for me anyway (and all but gone since I ditched fb), and the battery lasts me the bulk of the day. I charge it overnight so lack of multi day battery isn't something I really care about

The camera is great, and I the couple of times it didn't open first time, it was a minor inconvenience

The fingerprint scanner is so so good

As with a lot of things you'll generally only hear people complaining, its not like anyone comes here to specifically post how great stuff is

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 9, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Android Tablets are fantastic, except for the lack of Flash.

Wait, what? Why do you think Android needs flash? Moreover, why do you think it'd be a good idea?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

Too bad for the price point, even with 25% off, the Pixel C isnt worth getting.
On the other hand it's an absolutely gorgeous device and ridiculously good value compared to the Nexus 9 which is the same price and hot garbage.

The keyboard is an expensive gimmick which I don't really need but it makes a nice stand and cover. Not worth £120 but the magnet setup is very nicely designed.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I would get one of those wearable cameras and take it to the zoo. I loving love the zoo, and if I could somehow teach Google to take pictures of various apes then I'm all in

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

FYI, Google will be launching a beta program signup later today that will get you the preview build OTA as well as all subsequent builds to the final version. Probably a better option than manual flashing if you have a device you want to use with it.

The site just went live for me, and I poo poo you not my Nexus 6 had a system update available within 30 seconds of opting in. Let's see how this poo poo works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

grimcreaper posted:

Android Tablets are fantastic, except for the lack of Flash.

what

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This is driving me crazy so hopefully one of you can help.

On my LG G3 the alarm randomly goes off during the day. I only have one alarm set for the morning. It mostly seems to happen after I put the phone in my pocket and it only started happening after the recent update to 6.0.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

The site just went live for me, and I poo poo you not my Nexus 6 had a system update available within 30 seconds of opting in. Let's see how this poo poo works.

Dumb question, but do you use the NJTransit app? It was broken for me in the M preview, so I had to roll back.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It's a decade-old view of mobile. I didn't know anyone still thought that in TYOOL 2016. Flash is terrible on desktop, why should it end up on mobile? I just realized that's the same guy who thinks full-blown Windows on phones is a good idea, too. Why would you want Android tablets to be better if the goal is to just end up with a Surface?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Flash is an offense to modern technology.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

Awesome. I enrolled my Pixel C so hopefully I'll have some preview goodness by the time I get home from work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Whoa 1123MB.

--edit: Actually, the 6.0 images are also that huge. Heh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Dumb question, but do you use the NJTransit app? It was broken for me in the M preview, so I had to roll back.

Seeing as I live in a state where public transit is a useless system that barely tries to pass itself off as an alternative to a DUI... no, I do not use said app :v:

Update downloaded, installing now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That was quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
HTC keeps trying to demo the M10 but it keeps melting through the show floor; eventually meeting the Earth's core.