Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually, I hope the GCI finds the Morpho Cave and assumes D.MtM is actually in cahoots with Blue Morpho and all of next season is Monarch, 21, and D.MtM all trying to work with the not avengers and the ventures to take down the GCI once and for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
She will be mad but I think she will choose him over the guild when it comes down to it.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

She will be mad but I think she will choose him over the guild when it comes down to it.

I was thinking it might benefit her in some way in the end but the only guess I had for that scenario was the idea that Wide Wale would try to fill the council with people that would tip the balance of power to him. But it's late in the season and I don't have anything to back that up with since the only person they seem to have added is Phage.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I wonder if they're going somewhere with Doc's stalker, seems like something that will pay off down the road like the book that was referenced. He was nearly as unsettling as the Scare Bear.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So, a minor retcon that it doesn't look like anyone's noticed: Gary really shouldn't be upset that he accidentally killed Haranguetang. I was doing a series rewatch not too long ago, and there's an episode from the middle of the show where Gary darts Hank and says "sorry I had to kill ya, buddy." Later, he tells 24 that he killed one of the Venture brothers, and 24 says "you mean you knocked him out?" 21 says "No, I shot him with the rifle," and is shocked when 24 tells him that, yep, the rifle shoots tranquilizer darts.

It's probably for the best - that scene caught me off guard this last rewatch, because it implies that Gary thought he was killing people every time he went out on a mission, which is really dark considering his character.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

I wonder if they're going somewhere with Doc's stalker, seems like something that will pay off down the road like the book that was referenced. He was nearly as unsettling as the Scare Bear.

That's another thing I must have missed. I had a hard time paying attention to the last episode to be honest. Every time Hank would pull a stunt with Dean et. al I'd cringe, change the channel for a few seconds, and then turn it back.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

RandomPauI posted:

That's another thing I must have missed. I had a hard time paying attention to the last episode to be honest. Every time Hank would pull a stunt with Dean et. al I'd cringe, change the channel for a few seconds, and then turn it back.

Such a weenus.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Gary definitely slaughtered a crew of monstroso's dudes with sphinx in operation prom. Henchmen aren't actual people so killing them is fine.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LostRook posted:

You mean the guy that was dressed like him when he left the panic room? I think that was just part of Wes and the Doom Factory's artsy arching. He took Doc's likeness, celebrated it, 'sold' it, then abandoned it. Rusty still thinks that the Venture name is synonymous with the super science adventuring protagonist world, and he's right to a degree, but I think Wes wanted Doc to feel like a fad since he's pretty much been famous his entire life. Also it was a good distraction while they stole all his stuff.

Firebatgyro posted:

Gary definitely slaughtered a crew of monstroso's dudes with sphinx in operation prom. Henchmen aren't actual people so killing them is fine.

Exactly. Henchmen are *supposed* to die. It's their role, they are expendable. Guys like Haranguetan are supposed to be placed in cuffs and left tied to a lamppost outside of a police station with a note pinned to their chest or something. I think this is the first time that 21 has killed someone and then couldn't sweep thinking about it under the rug because 'well henchmen die, that's the way it goes, he knew what he was signing up for.'

Other than accidentally blowing up Hank and Dean at the end of season 1. But even then, that wasn't manslaughter, it was just an accident.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Left tied to a lamppost outside of a police station with a note pinned to their chest or something.

Makes me wonder why we've never seen a Watchmen style mickey-take. Rorschach alone is ripe for Venture parody. Venturedy?

I know the extended cast is already overflowing. But still, a guy can dream.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The appearance of that bear guy made me wonder, did the building belong to Impossible before Venture?

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I can't wait for the Blu ray for this season with commentaries. Especially with that last episode I bet Doc and Jackson have lots to say.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

The appearance of that bear guy made me wonder, did the building belong to Impossible before Venture?

Yes! But, the Venture family owned it before that. From "Twenty Years to Midnight"

quote:

EXT. ONE IMPOSSIBLE PLAZA - DAY

RUSTY
One Impossible Plaza. Worldwide headquarters of Impossible Industries and allegedly the most technologically advanced skyscraper in the nation.

BROCK
Yeah, so?

RUSTY
But what stood in this very spot 20 years ago? Anyone?
((a split- second pause))
It was Venture Industries World Headquarters, thank you. Somewhere in that foundation is the last piece of my father's little puzzle.

And he mentions at some point in this season that JJ's VenTech building is built on or used to be his grandfather or great-grandfather's building. I think that at some point after it gets damaged by fire in "Bright Lights, Dean City", JJ buys the building back and renovates it.

EDIT: Which must have been a real slap in the face to Richard, considering everything that's gone on between them.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 9, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Exactly. Henchmen are *supposed* to die. It's their role, they are expendable. Guys like Haranguetan are supposed to be placed in cuffs and left tied to a lamppost outside of a police station with a note pinned to their chest or something. I think this is the first time that 21 has killed someone and then couldn't sweep thinking about it under the rug because 'well henchmen die, that's the way it goes, he knew what he was signing up for.'

In the episode I'm talking about, he shoots Hank Venture in the chest and says "guess you'll never make it to the quickening, highlander". It was a very flippant, sociopathic (or comic book-y) thing to say after you think you've killed someone. And yes, this is before he knows they're clones - I'm pretty sure this is the season that ends with the OSI/Monarch/clone battle on the Venture front lawn.

I'm not complaining, mind you - it makes more sense for Gary to be upset that he killed someone than for him to think he's killed dozens of people and just drops a wisecrack afterward.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, the "quickening" line you're referring to was from Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel, and it definitely took place after Twenty-One knew they were clones.

The episode where he shot Hank in the chest was Tears of a Sea Cow, and I think all he said after shooting him in the chest was something like "Sorry I had to kill you," because he had no idea that their weapons fired tranq darts.

Edit: I just checked. Twenty-one says, "Uhhh, I hate killin' ya, dude, but it's all I could come up with." Prior to this, 21 told Hank that he (Hank) was an immortal, to which Hank replied, "you mean, like the Highlander?", and that is what set up the comment about not making it to the quickening in the later episode.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 9, 2016

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

There's no way they'd kill off DMTM. She's a great foil to the Monarch's crazy and she's a competent woman in the foreground. I think the Monarch is going to make a break from the guild and start doing his own thing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is anyone else using the Google Play store for their season pass on this? Usually I'd get the episode the next day after it airs but this week there's been a delay, still no episode yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Firebatgyro posted:

Nameless, generic henchmen aren't people.

Only unique ones like Rocko, or 21 himself would count.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

You mean the guy that was dressed like him when he left the panic room? I think that was just part of Wes and the Doom Factory's artsy arching. He took Doc's likeness, celebrated it, 'sold' it, then abandoned it. Rusty still thinks that the Venture name is synonymous with the super science adventuring protagonist world, and he's right to a degree, but I think Wes wanted Doc to feel like a fad since he's pretty much been famous his entire life. Also it was a good distraction while they stole all his stuff.

Except it was the same guy from Enzio's tailoring store in the first episode of the season. He was wearing a copy of the Ambassador at the party which I would presume he got from Enzio. He's also spoken both times which is out of the ordinary for a nameless background character. As amusing as the scene with Enzio was, it seems like its main point was setting this guy up.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 9, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LostRook posted:

Except it was the same guy from Enzio's tailoring store in the first episode of the season. He was wearing a copy of the Ambassador at the party which I would presume he got from Enzio. He's also spoken both times which is out of the ordinary for a nameless background character.

I noticed the Ambassador, but I didn't realize that it was the same guy from the first episode. That's a drat good catch.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

For reference.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LostRook posted:

For reference.

If it were a different season, I'd probably say it was just the animators reusing a background guy. But considering the close-ups on him, the dialogue, and the fact that this season has been more serialized than the rest, I wouldn't doubt that he might end up popping up again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for that. My theory is that the bear guy is a ghostly figure haunting that spot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I get that we finally have Sirenia, but I'd be loving pissed if they killed off the only female character who's actually been important in the show.

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
I really hope they don't kill her off. She's such a fantastic straight woman and she keeps the Monarch/Guild stuff grounded.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
21 didn't seem to care when he murdered long division but that was an accident and according to Shore leave and Brock that kid was a prick so who knows.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LostRook posted:

For reference.

Fascinating. It might be nothing, or a red herring, or a wannabe Venture.

Also, this is coming:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Look at that hat. Could it be...?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm guessing the skull guy is the stalker

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

That skull guy might also be Clancy Brown! He's so happy looking.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually, Upon rewatch, I see how INTO this Monarch and Gary are getting... what if at the very end of the season, the Guild recants their decision and offers the monarch Exclusive LEVEL 10 arching rights, and he tells them to gently caress off because he just loves being the Blue Morpho?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My honest prediction is that the Blue Morpho 'dies' in the same kind of dumb accident that has killed off all the others (possibly taking Wide Wale with him? That's just spitballing though) with the Monarch making it out with the same dumb luck that's got him through being the Blue Morpho thus far. He crawls back into bed just in time for Dr. Mrs. to come in and tell him that he just won't believe the day she's had. Cue credits, stinger involving the Ventures or other non-Monarch character, season over.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually, Upon rewatch, I see how INTO this Monarch and Gary are getting... what if at the very end of the season, the Guild recants their decision and offers the monarch Exclusive LEVEL 10 arching rights, and he tells them to gently caress off because he just loves being the Blue Morpho?

I think the Monarch has always been sort of a misfit in the villain community because he really just hates Venture. He wasn't assigned an Arch, he isn't doing this for business, and he isn't even particularly GOOD at it. He doesn't rob banks, he doesn't try to ransom the world, he just tries to gently caress up Rusty's day. Guys like Wide Wale don't understand him because, without Dr. Mrs. The Monarch and his trust fund, he'd have been just another guy that Brock killed on Rusty's front lawn.

And I think that because of that, Monarch really hates the stuffed shirt phoniness of the Guild. He hates the bureaucracy and the mixers and everything other than filling Rusty with dread in his flying Cocoon. And I think that's what he's getting out of being the Blue Morpho. People like Wes Warhammer and Wide Wale are posers, fake bad guys who are arching Venture to make a name for themselves or for money, in the eyes of the Monarch, and they don't deserve Rusty. Where were they before he got rich and famous?

He's protective and possessive of Rusty, even if he loves tormenting him. Sort of maybe like a big brother...?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
It just occurred to me that Monarch probably doesn't have any idea that Dr. Mrs. His Wife thinks that Doc is Blue Morpho. That means that she, and the GCI, are giving Venture credit for everything that the Monarch is doing (albeit accidentally). When he realizes that the credit for his hard work is being so wrongly assigned, he's probably going to lose his poo poo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm guessing the skull guy is the stalker

No: Stalker clearly favors turtlenecks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That skull guy was mentioned earlier in the thread or I at least saw it on reddit or something. Someone out there knows his name.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Stalker also has a much narrower frame. Check the head to torso ratio of Red Skull compared to the stalker dude.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

LostRook posted:

For reference.

Notice who's making out in the background, its Black Spade / Race Card and that woman who wanted more female representation in the Guild

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

walgreenslatino posted:

Notice who's making out in the background, its Black Spade / Race Card and that woman who wanted more female representation in the Guild

I think her name was Dot Com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Pick posted:

I get that we finally have Sirenia, but I'd be loving pissed if they killed off the only female character who's actually been important in the show.

freypies posted:

I really hope they don't kill her off. She's such a fantastic straight woman and she keeps the Monarch/Guild stuff grounded.

Now that JJ's gone, DMTM is also one of the few scientists/engineers/techies in the show capable of building things that actually work. Rusty's useless, Billy's ideas suck, Professor Impossible is a washup, all the old generation are retired or dead. DMTM was seemingly behind just about every successful thing the Monarch rolled out, and she has enough common sense to know when she was in over her head and consult with more more knowledgable people.