Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hughlander posted:

Sorry phone posting. I asked about it before either here or in the tell me the name of this story thread. However I also found out about it on these forums maybe this thread so I'm hoping someone recognizes it.

Searching this thread isn't yielding any quick results.

EDIT: But then it wouldn't if the person recommending it didn't also describe the plot like you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

The White Ship is similar. I always preferred his dreamier works.
I think that part of the reason I liked book 1 of The Magicians was largely due to the ending/pseudo-epilogue, where Quentin just kind of wanders around Fillory getting poo poo done that he was never capable of before, because he's sort of distanced himself from his previous hangups and attitudes. It's written in a very similar tone and cadence to Kadath etc.. I'm not sure why, but I really dig that style.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 9, 2016

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Hughlander posted:

I feel I asked this before. I had a recommendation for a weird tale. Radio telescope finds souls traveling after death to another planet where they are trapped in aliens bodies that drive them crazy due to their sense of id. Really want to reread it.

It's not this one, is it?

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/167/the-planet-of-the-dead

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hoooooly gently caress I just read The Cipher by Kathe Koja and I can't recommend it enough. It's the book about the hole you've probably heard of, greasy filthy hangover headache horror that's at once cosmic and abjectly, horribly mundane.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Hoooooly gently caress I just read The Cipher by Kathe Koja and I can't recommend it enough. It's the book about the hole you've probably heard of, greasy filthy hangover headache horror that's at once cosmic and abjectly, horribly mundane.

Yeah I read this recently and I had to finish it in one sitting. The last scene is…whew.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

mdemone posted:

Yeah I read this recently and I had to finish it in one sitting. The last scene is…whew.

It really is one of my favorite endings to anything ever.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Skyscraper posted:

It really is one of my favorite endings to anything ever.

I had to go outside and get some fresh air at like 2AM. One of Koja's pieces of imagery there (Malcolm's face getting turned into viperfish teeth) really got to me for some reason, even though it's not a particularly remarkable idea.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

mdemone posted:

I had to go outside and get some fresh air at like 2AM. One of Koja's pieces of imagery there (Malcolm's face getting turned into viperfish teeth) really got to me for some reason, even though it's not a particularly remarkable idea.

I just really liked the conclusion (though I maybe should have figured it out before) of what the hole really IS.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

I found The Outer Dark podcast.

Scott Nicolay started this podcast at the end of June it and currently has 15 interviews with authors of new Weird Horror. He's got the work ethic of a professor. Maybe he is.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-outer-dark/id1011456737?mt=2

Through this podcast I found the author Jayaprakash Satyamurthy. Try his free short story "Empty Dreams" here:

http://pratilipi.in/2011/11/empty-dreams-jayaprakash-satyamurthy/

He is a Bangladeshi Bangalorean native and seeks to build a mythology of Bangladesh Bangalore somewhat in the vein of what Gaiman, China Melville and others have done to London.

Revisiting this post.

I ordered and finished Weird Tales of a Bangalorean by Jayaprakash Satyamurthy. This dude owns. I do recommend him.

Had to wait for snail mail from Lulu to get this 80 page book.

http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/jayaprakash-satyamurthy/weird-tales-of-a-bangalorean-2nd-edition/paperback/product-22467724.html

He needs more polish to get to the level of Barron's/Ligotti's best; but he has his own distinctive voice.

And what a voice it is

quote:

A slum, I discovered, is not made by the people in it -- instead, it makes them, shaping and moulding them until they fit its emould. It is a container that lends its shape to the sad human fluid poured within

It was just a place I had heard of, a seaside honey pot, a trap snaring tourists and locals alike in a joyless phantasmagoria of picture-postcard tableaux, narcotic stupors, terpsichorean excesses and paper-thin multiculturalism.

I like bars. They are reassuring places, containing the basics of human nature: the need for oblivion and the instinct to exploit.

It seemed to me that the city was like an old videotape which has been recorded over too many times on a crummy old VCR, and sometimes the old pictures shows through. These were echoes of people and things from long ago. It was just ethereal playback, that was all.

Inside, the atmosphere was cold -- not just the lush, cushioned coolness of expensive air conditioning, but a molecular chill, entropy's leavings.

There are places in Bangalore that are not Bangalore

For $7 plus shipping and handling you get five stories and three poems. Stories are below

Come Tomorrow
My Saints are Down
Dancer of the Dying
The Song of The Eukarya
A Threshold Hypothesis

The only one that didn't knock my socks off was "Dancer of the Dying" and that was only because it is short. It sets up "The Song of The Eukarya" so read those in sequence.

"Come Tomorrow" feels a little bit like a tale of the Arabian Nights gone horribly horribly wrong. "The Song of the Eukarya" has elements of the Music of Erich Zann and The Colour Out of Space while being wholly unique.
"A Threshold Hypothesis" does the excellent job of tying the seemingly disparate stories into a cohesive mythos. Call it Satyamurthy's Bangalorean Cycle perhaps.

Want a sample?

A reading of "My Saints are Down" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C6SGtde54w

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

So right now The Story Bundle says it's doing weird horror as a genre. I've never heard of any of these people before, is this worth buying?

The initial titles in the Weird Horror Bundle (minimum $5 to purchase) are:

The Art of Horrible People by John Skipp
Skullcrack City by Jeremy Robert Johnson
American Monster by J.S. Breukelaar
The Pleasure Merchant by Molly Tanzer
Where We Live and Die by Brian Keene

If you pay more than $14, you also get:

The Last Final Girl by Stephen Graham Jones
Animal Money by Michael Cisco
The Last Horror Novel in the History of the World by Brian Allen Carr
Witch Hunt by Juliet Escoria

Are these worth money / my time to read?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The $5 tier is definitely worth it. Jones and Cisco are aces, but i can't say I'm familiar with the other two in the $14 tier, so I can't in good conscience recommend it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

Are these worth money / my time to read?

I've read Skullcrack City and I really enjoyed it. Similar in style to John Dies at the End but with a slightly more mature sense of humor (i.e. less dick jokes).

Thanks for the heads up on the bundle, I went for the $14 tier even though I haven't heard of the others.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

The $5 tier is definitely worth it. Jones and Cisco are aces, but i can't say I'm familiar with the other two in the $14 tier, so I can't in good conscience recommend it.
Thanks, though I maybe should have asked what all these books are and also if they are any good, but

Daveski posted:

I've read Skullcrack City and I really enjoyed it. Similar in style to John Dies at the End but with a slightly more mature sense of humor (i.e. less dick jokes).

Thanks for the heads up on the bundle, I went for the $14 tier even though I haven't heard of the others.

This is high praise, I really liked John Dies at the End.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Daveski posted:

(i.e. less dick jokes).

its losing points right off the bat

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Holy crap this looks awesome, I'm definitely buying it.

I already have Skullcrack City, but I've actually been looking at two of the books in the bundle already(I love Michael Cisco) and was looking at the Pleasure Merchant as well.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

General Battuta posted:

Just dipped randomly into this thread for some light reading a few days ago, saw a couple comments praising this book and bought the kindle edition for $3.

My impression so far: mildly over written but with an intriguing premise, and as I've continued to read the writing has grown on me. However, the protagonist is goony as gently caress and after reading only about 10% of the book I already desperately want to punch him in the face.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

EDIT - I have no idea how this turned into a double post, cosmic reality is collapsing around me moments after my first post in this thread :tinfoil:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Helsing posted:

Just dipped randomly into this thread for some light reading a few days ago, saw a couple comments praising this book and bought the kindle edition for $3.

My impression so far: mildly over written but with an intriguing premise, and as I've continued to read the writing has grown on me. However, the protagonist is goony as gently caress and after reading only about 10% of the book I already desperately want to punch him in the face.

I'm reading it now, too. The protagonist is the sort of person who was cool as gently caress back in 1994.

EDIT: Just checked, and the book's from 91.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 20, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Revisiting this post.

I ordered and finished Weird Tales of a Bangalorean by Jayaprakash Satyamurthy. This dude owns. I do recommend him.

I ordered this based on the quote about bars. I really like that line, and the general ability of cosmic horror to instill this feeling of dread into the mundane. It's like you don't have to look for the horror, it's already there and you just need someone to point it out for you.

Now I'm kinda wondering about mixing cosmic horror with the political system and whether or not that's been done.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I ordered this based on the quote about bars. I really like that line, and the general ability of cosmic horror to instill this feeling of dread into the mundane. It's like you don't have to look for the horror, it's already there and you just need someone to point it out for you.

Now I'm kinda wondering about mixing cosmic horror with the political system and whether or not that's been done.

Cool! I really do hope you enjoy it. Though I also enjoy very critical analyses posted in this thread too.

Re: Politics + Cosmic Horror only thing I could think of is the Nixon/Cosmic Horror book Crooked and Stross's Colder War but those use politics sort of as a backdrop.

Ligotti's My Work Is Not Yet Done has office politics intersect with cosmic horror in a fantastic way.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ligotti's My Work Is Not Yet Done has office politics intersect with cosmic horror in a fantastic way.

Yeah I was definitely thinking about My Work Is Not Yet Done, although I sorta wish he had spent some more time waxing entropic about the corporate life. It's been a while since I read it though, so maybe I should reread it with my newfound "appreciation" of working in an office.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Do you go insane because the Elder Gods or their minions are purposely messing with your head, or because you're seeing something completely unfathomable (such as non-euclidian geometry, or trying to wrap your head around the fact that human beings/consciousness/everything you know is utterly pointless in the grand scheme of the universe), or both? Or does it just depend on the author at the time?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I spent an hour sitting in a meeting discussing the procedures and preparations of how to best inject test solutions into the eyes of approximately 40 rabbits, all of which will end up dead anyway because they need to autopsy them for the results. People were making jokes about it, but I wasn't sure whether it was a coping mechanism for the grim task set for them or just another dull expression of sadism in the name of science.

It's essentially a look into how the sausage gets made, which has always been something lurking in the back of my mind, but to have it brought to the forefront has sorta unsettled me and put this sort of malaise on me. I don't know where that lands on the cosmic horror scale, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt something like that :v:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I worked in a medical library, and I've had similar thoughts inspired by a leaf through a manual dedicated to explaining all the various ways you can vivisect or dissect rats. Journal articles about injecting toxic substances into dogs just to see what kind of tumors might pop up. That sort of stuff.

God's a scientist and we're the test subjects. God doesn't want people to suffer, it's just that suffering is not relevant to the cosmic question being asked. The universe is asking itself questions, questions completely incomprehensible to our puny minds, and human misery is just a tiny side effect.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I spent an hour sitting in a meeting discussing the procedures and preparations of how to best inject test solutions into the eyes of approximately 40 rabbits, all of which will end up dead anyway because they need to autopsy them for the results. People were making jokes about it, but I wasn't sure whether it was a coping mechanism for the grim task set for them or just another dull expression of sadism in the name of science.

It's essentially a look into how the sausage gets made, which has always been something lurking in the back of my mind, but to have it brought to the forefront has sorta unsettled me and put this sort of malaise on me. I don't know where that lands on the cosmic horror scale, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt something like that :v:

I've done animal work before. Perfusions of mice/rats to harvest hippocampus in an Alzheimer model.

It's not sadism. It's coping. Laughing and screaming are physiologically similar.

If you want comparable stories, talk to the doctors that work in a morgue or a pathology lab.

uber_stoat posted:

God's a scientist and we're the test subjects. God doesn't want people to suffer, it's just that suffering is not relevant to the cosmic question being asked. The universe is asking itself questions, questions completely incomprehensible to our puny minds, and human misery is just a tiny side effect.

On this topic broadly I highly recommend "Breeds There a Man" by Asimov. I've never considered it cosmic horror ... but it could fit in the category? It's really more speculative science fiction.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 21, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not really cosmic horror but Jeff Vandermeer's Authority does a wonderful mix of the horrifying turning the mundane into insane. It's the middle part of a trilogy but well worth reading IMO; plus the books are really short.

e: It's even got rabbits.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Had another thought if you don't mind going historical.

I'm a big fan of the movie Elizabeth (1998) which is a historical political thriller. Sherlock Homes plus Cthulhu with references to the Victorian age has been done by Neil Gaiman in "A Study in Emerald".

http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf

Also someone made a board game? https://www.treefroggames.com/a-study-in-emerald :shrug:

Gaiman also did an alt history marvel comics insert into the Elizabethan era called 1702.

Cthulhu, Dr John Dee, the Elizabethan era politics and who the British really prayed to to kick up the "Protestant Wind" could be an interesting melting pot.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I got the Annotated Lovecraft book for Christmas and it's pretty great. Really love his description of Arkham in Color Out of Space. I think it'd be neat to see a film adaptation of it that isn't horrible, but to get the color down I think they'd need to do some optical illusion effects with it where the special effects on screen are mostly in the audience's mind. I'm not even sure if that's possible but it'd be neat (and possibly seizure inducing). But I've discovered I can only read so much Lovecraft at a time before I'm reading paragraphs and paragraphs of description and not grasping anything he's saying.

Also it'd be really refreshing if one of his protagonists was just some schlub and wasn't a young-ish no-nonsense no-time for girls NERD scholar who gets a hard on for old books and ancient archaeology. Like, it'd be great if it was just some guy from the country that's only read three books in his life. I'm not knocking Lovecraft, but he only seems to write very specific kinds of characters in very specific ways and seems to hate things like character development and basic human interaction.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MrSlam posted:

I'm not knocking Lovecraft, but he only seems to write very specific kinds of characters in very specific ways and seems to hate things like character development and basic human interaction.

The guy wrote what he knew. He also wrote in a genre that, at the time, incentivized churning out a large quantity of very samey material. And he died pretty young.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ornamented Death posted:

The guy wrote what he knew. He also wrote in a genre that, at the time, incentivized churning out a large quantity of very samey material. And he died pretty young.

I can sympathize with that :smith: I never realize it til later but a lot of the stuff I write tends to have the main characters develop the kind of same mental problems I have. At least he made it his own.

It would've been neat to see what a Cold War era Lovecraft might write about. The brutality of WW2 coupled with the paranoia of the red scare might've made for some interesting stories.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MrSlam posted:

But I've discovered I can only read so much Lovecraft at a time before I'm reading paragraphs and paragraphs of description and not grasping anything he's saying.

A lot of weird fiction can blend together if you are reading it all in one sitting.

MrSlam posted:

Also it'd be really refreshing if one of his protagonists was just some schlub and wasn't a young-ish no-nonsense no-time for girls NERD scholar who gets a hard on for old books and ancient archaeology. Like, it'd be great if it was just some guy from the country that's only read three books in his life. I'm not knocking Lovecraft, but he only seems to write very specific kinds of characters in very specific ways and seems to hate things like character development and basic human interaction.

Ornamented Death posted:

:agreed:

The only Lovecraft story I can recall that has a female protagonist is the collaboration with Sonia Green, The Horror at Martin's beach.

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/The_Horror_at_Martin%27s_Beach

For a bit of a change of pace read Lovecraft's The Temple for a (I think) blackly humorous riff on a German officer. Then move on to Herbert West Re-animator. :haw:

Also see MR James if you want more clone protagonists in successive short stories.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 21, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It's a movie rather than a book but one of the things that makes the original 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' noteworthy is that it simply applies slaughter house techniques to human beings rather than cattle without many dramatic flourishes or changes. If somebody hasn't yet made a movie that does something similar but with animal testing then I'd be surprised. A movie about people getting treated like lab mice or maybe a film where all the awful poo poo they do to test new shampoos and skin products on dogs get applied to humans could be fun to watch.

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm reading it now, too. The protagonist is the sort of person who was cool as gently caress back in 1994.

EDIT: Just checked, and the book's from 91.

Yeah, I had a very similar thought as I was reading -- especially right after it comes up for the first time that he works at a video store, which in retrospect has got to be one of the most instantly dated occupations you could give a protagonist. Still, this is one of those stories that is going to be easier to read knowing something awful is almost certainly going to happen to the sad sack protagonist. I like damaged protagonists but I hate the particular kind of slacker that this guy embodies.

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah I was definitely thinking about My Work Is Not Yet Done, although I sorta wish he had spent some more time waxing entropic about the corporate life. It's been a while since I read it though, so maybe I should reread it with my newfound "appreciation" of working in an office.

I found 'My Work Is Not Yet Done' to really be more about revenge and resentment, with the office setting being used as more of a backdrop. The focus of the tale is very much on the protagonists transformation and his revenge on the people who he feels wronged him. The actual substance of what ideas were stolen, why he was terminated, etc. are mostly glossed over and the bulk of the action is dedicated to the protagonists interactions with each of the 'seven dwarves'.

In my paper back version of 'My Work Is Not Yet Done' there are two other Ligotti stories in the back, "I Have A Special Plan for this World" and "The Nightmare Network" and both of those are, in my opinion, much closer to straight up 'corporate horror'. I didn't find either of them to be particularly effective stories and like most of Ligotti's work I found myself admiring their experimentalism without finding them particularly engaging on a visceral level.

BJPaskoff posted:

Do you go insane because the Elder Gods or their minions are purposely messing with your head, or because you're seeing something completely unfathomable (such as non-euclidian geometry, or trying to wrap your head around the fact that human beings/consciousness/everything you know is utterly pointless in the grand scheme of the universe), or both? Or does it just depend on the author at the time?

In most classic Lovecraft your existence barely registers with whatever Cyclopean entity you were unfortunate enough to encounter. Occasionally a lesser race of aliens might vivisect you because they've never seen a human before and are curious or they might abduct your mind across the gulfs of time and space to extract all your knowledge of human history, but any of the famous members of the Lovecraftian pantheon are unlikely to take notice of individual humans. Cthulhu, for instance, causes mass hallucinations and visions among the worlds entire population of artists and mental patients any time his island rises above the surface of the waves without any indication that he's doing anything on purpose.

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't find it particularly enjoyable to read, except as a historical curiosity, but Franz Kafka's "The Trial" would arguably qualify as exactly this. In fact most of Kafka's stories have a lot of similarity to cosmic or psychological horror.

Ornamented Death posted:

Practically every Lovecraft protagonist is a more or less subtle self-insert by Lovecraft himself. Typically they even have very similar biographies to him, in some cases they are literally acting out dreams Lovecraft had about himself.

The other, very much related, issue with Lovecraft is that, much like Thomas Ligotti, he just doesn't like people and doesn't find them very interesting. He can't get into their heads because he's completely stuck in his own head, which is why on the one hand he has such a distinctive voice (like LIgotti) but also why, on the other hand, he tends to just write the exact same character over and over again (like Ligotti), resulting in stuff that's often very conceptually interesting but which doesn't always pull you in the way a less misanthropic author might (again, I'd say this is very reminiscent of Ligotti).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Helsing posted:

It's a movie rather than a book but one of the things that makes the original 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' noteworthy is that it simply applies slaughter house techniques to human beings rather than cattle without many dramatic flourishes or changes. If somebody hasn't yet made a movie that does something similar but with animal testing then I'd be surprised. A movie about people getting treated like lab mice or maybe a film where all the awful poo poo they do to test new shampoos and skin products on dogs get applied to humans could be fun to watch.

This sounds like a Skinny Puppy video.

quote:

In most classic Lovecraft your existence barely registers with whatever Cyclopean entity you were unfortunate enough to encounter. Occasionally a lesser race of aliens might vivisect you because they've never seen a human before and are curious or they might abduct your mind across the gulfs of time and space to extract all your knowledge of human history, but any of the famous members of the Lovecraftian pantheon are unlikely to take notice of individual humans. Cthulhu, for instance, causes mass hallucinations and visions among the worlds entire population of artists and mental patients any time his island rises above the surface of the waves without any indication that he's doing anything on purpose.

I like the idea that Yog-Sothoth, for instance, is the unity of time and space personified and what's really flaying away your sanity is the concentrated understanding, on a level humans weren't meant to have, of what that means, like being fully exposed to the Total Perspective Vortex.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Helsing posted:

In my paper back version of 'My Work Is Not Yet Done' there are two other Ligotti stories in the back, "I Have A Special Plan for this World" and "The Nightmare Network" and both of those are, in my opinion, much closer to straight up 'corporate horror'. I didn't find either of them to be particularly effective stories and like most of Ligotti's work I found myself admiring their experimentalism without finding them particularly engaging on a visceral level.

It's not corporate horror exactly, but I like Our Temporary Supervisor out of Ligotti's Teatro Grottesco more for workplace horror. A number of other stories in this collection have the same kind of feel, but aren't as explicitly work-related. Also, for some less-cosmic workplace horror, Bentley Little's The Consultant was an interesting attempt, and while I liked it, I can see why people wouldn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just a note: that's the highly complex 1st Edition. 2nd Edition is much more streamlined and faster. Very much worth playing, although you won't get much of a cosmic horror vibe from it. Instead you get to blow up the eldritch Queen of London with dynamite.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MrSlam posted:

Check out "Southern Gods" by John Horner Jacobs. Out of his depth mob goon chasing down eldritch horror in post WW2 Deep South. Lots of fun.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Helsing posted:

Practically every Lovecraft protagonist is a more or less subtle self-insert by Lovecraft himself. Typically they even have very similar biographies to him, in some cases they are literally acting out dreams Lovecraft had about himself.

The other, very much related, issue with Lovecraft is that, much like Thomas Ligotti, he just doesn't like people and doesn't find them very interesting. He can't get into their heads because he's completely stuck in his own head, which is why on the one hand he has such a distinctive voice (like LIgotti) but also why, on the other hand, he tends to just write the exact same character over and over again (like Ligotti), resulting in stuff that's often very conceptually interesting but which doesn't always pull you in the way a less misanthropic author might (again, I'd say this is very reminiscent of Ligotti).

True as hell. Pickman's Model is the only story I can remember where he feels like he's trying for an narrative voice that isn't "just Howard Phillips Lovecraft with a different name"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Helsing posted:

I found 'My Work Is Not Yet Done' to really be more about revenge and resentment, with the office setting being used as more of a backdrop. The focus of the tale is very much on the protagonists transformation and his revenge on the people who he feels wronged him. The actual substance of what ideas were stolen, why he was terminated, etc. are mostly glossed over and the bulk of the action is dedicated to the protagonists interactions with each of the 'seven dwarves'.

Yeah you are right. "I Have A Special Plan for this World" is much more corporate horror than "My Work Is Not Yet Done".

Skyscraper posted:

It's not corporate horror exactly, but I like Our Temporary Supervisor out of Ligotti's Teatro Grottesco more for workplace horror. A number of other stories in this collection have the same kind of feel, but aren't as explicitly work-related.

:agreed: Such a powerful story too.

Short review :cthulhu:

Laird Barron's Man with No Name: A Nanashi Novella

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ATOL62M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

106 pages

I'm a Barron fan. This is skipable. A story about a Yakuza assassin who does a job and some weird things happen. Very short to it's detriment. More realistic/serious in tone than X's for Eyes or The Light Is The Darkness. Slightly better than those last two in my opinion but this story doesn't bring anything new or interesting to the table.

To be frank there are a handful of stories in Children of the Old Leech by authors other than Barron that I recommend you read other than this.

However, in the back of the Kindle edition is an excerpt from "Blood and Stardust". If anyone remembers the movie AI one of the main problems with the movie is that the director constantly hits the viewer over the head with "this is a Pinocchio" story. "Blood and Stardust" is Barron's take on Frankenstein and it suffers from the same sin at least in this excerpt. However the main character and style is interesting enough with ideas that are new to Barron that the excerpt was very engaging. I want to read more of it. However given Barron's recent track record, if "Blood and Stardust" is short I imagine it may suffer from the lack of a compelling narrative and resolution as well. Time will tell.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GrandpaPants posted:

It's the same reason I burst out laughing when I am watching gore-porn horror movies and something particularly awful occurs. Some people cover their faces, some people throw a fit and make you stop the DVD, some of us just kind of burst into laughter to release what otherwise would be really awful feelings.

I still loving Love Human Centipede 1 because it's nothing but a comedy to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

GrandpaPants posted:

Hunter S Thompson vs the Mythos, if you like Gonzo it's close and the story is good/great depending on how much you know about Nixon and Hoover.