Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

citizencon 2015 + this

I don't feel I have turned "against" CIG though. Rather, I'm mildly disappointed with the way the project is going, and some parts of the community.

I'm unironically sorry for your loss of faith, friend. You seem like a stand-up guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15233-Star-Citizen-Alpha-221

quote:

Star Citizen Patch 2.2.1

Alpha Patch 2.2.1 has been released to Live and is now available for players! This patch includes key fixes to the 300 series ships and a number of server and client crashes.

Your launcher should show “2.2.1-328656” as the client version. It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Public client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public.

Please review our current list of 2.2.0 Known Issues FAQ, and take full advantage of our Issue Council area of the Community site to report any bugs you encounter, as well as contribute to other players submissions.

Important Issues:
Ship geometry can very occasionally disappear or turn invisible.
Using the Holotable in the Revel & York hangar will cause the game client to become unresponsive.
EVA’ing back into a ship with interior physics still has rare issues such as permanent ragdoll and death.

Contents:

Game Systems
Ships
Technical
Game Systems:

Continued to make changes to EVA animations to smooth out some of the transitions.
Ships:

Fixed an issue where some hardpoints for the 300 series ships in the Holotable were inaccessible.
Fixed an issue with the Holotable where swapping coolers on any of the 300 series ships was extremely difficult.
Fixed a lighting issue where the doors on the 300 series would show up greyish in color.
Fixed an issue with central HUD element not displaying correctly in the 300 series.
Technical:

Fixed multiple client crashes.
Fixed multiple server crashes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

runsamok posted:

Thanks for all the help guys. My work has a strange set of sites blocked, which means that anything useful and or good is blocked, leaving me only dodgy websites that look like Geocities sites & are hosted on BRIC country TLDs.

Is http://dowlphin.de blocked?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dante80 posted:

citizencon 2015 + this

I don't feel I have turned "against" CIG though. Rather, I'm mildly disappointed with the way the project is going, and some parts of the community.

Mild disappointment is tantamount to heresy among the Cult of Christ Roberts, Computer Programmer.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Why did I click that? I know of dowlphin.

It's not blocked, but I'm sure I'm now on some watch list.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mild disappointment is tantamount to heresy among the Cult of Christ Roberts, Computer Programmer.

yeah if you are mildly disappointed you are literally derek smart

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Proteus4994 posted:

I have never ever in my life played a game where A/D were set to tank controls except Resident Evil.

I believe a lot of 90s FPS games were like this. If I remember correctly at the very least doom, and hexen had A/D keys as turn left and right.

EDIT: Maybe I'm remembering wrong and I used to play with the arrow keys when I was younger.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
One of you photo guru's fix the lando one I quoted earlier. Can't even begin to figure out how you do that poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Doom did but I think once mouse look was standard they defaulted to A and D being strafe.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who here is glad that Illfonic moved from Star Marine toward full time development on their mature MMO where you can gently caress people for buffs

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Someone should point her to Pgabz's channel :v:

D1E posted:

Who is that in Sandi Gardiner's Twitter profile pic? She's kinda hot.

I think it's one of Sandi Gardiner's grandchildren

MeLKoR posted:

These are not double walls.

Those glasses aren't glass. They're made from pure diamond because it's more fidelitous. And the tray is made from gold-pressed latinum

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

runsamok posted:

Yeah, why would you?

Dowlphin's Donation Details for Defeating Deep and Devastating Depression (Dodo Dedededede) posted:

I have endured a lot and I have had negative income for many years now. I had to work through many internal and external obstacles and only now have reached a point where I realize I have given so much substantially that it is appropriate to ask for something substantial in return, otherwise I would devalue my efforts, my expertise, my potential. It has been a rough spiritual journey and still is, and substantial support like donations will help me stop the long and slow drain of energy, of motivation, of spirit, and find reward in sharing what I have to give, so that through more balance I can unlock all that potential* that wants to be set free, but can't.

Many of the things I did for various people I cannot list here. It is very diverse. (I provided spiritual-religious and end-of-life-anxiety guidance for random players in EVE Online, I befriended someone who hated and mocked what is most sacred to me, etc.) I just always did what I could out of conviction that helping others will shape a better world. Some of those activities of mine have been taken for granted, exploited, even severely punished, which left a baggage of scars, but also life lessons that eventually culminated in the realization that if I don't stop just caring about the world and start caring about myself more, I would become unable to do either.

I need to return to the playful and uplifting spirit of years past, because that is who I am; what fills me with energy to work on my various projects, what gives me drive and purpose that allows me to be the best I can be and grow in a different direction than I have so far, a more cheerful and productive one. And for that, I need to work though all that baggage of worries and fears (a lot of which I already have overcome, but so much more and frustratingly elusive still remaining) by creating a feeling of sustainability for that. Doing what I love to do is the only thing I barely have energy for. Without that love, there would be nothing left. In a way, love is my salvation.

And that is why putting an end to receiving fleeting symbolic things while making permanent substantial sacrifices has to end, and why donations make a crucial difference. I have worked so much on myself, and the lack of ability to apply what I have learned contributed to the increasingly crippling and depressing imbalance.

So if you find any of my activities, public or private, to be worth supporting and nourishing so that I can continue and unlock more of my dormant potential, consider a donation. You can donate as much or as little as you choose (consider that Paypal takes a certain fee though), whenever you choose, as often as you choose. You make a decision of how much is fair, decent and appropriate so that you can live with it. Then I can live with it, too.
Because things need to be settled in mutual agreement to create harmony.
As for my side, I can only say that at this point no amount is too much.

Feel free to contact me in regards to this or anything else on your mind. Also if you would like to be credited for your donation. I am not so used to the whole system, so I prefer to do things like that manually.
Spreading the message is very welcome, too, if you know people who I might be able to aid in any way and/or who would like to support me.

Thank you for your time and - if it shall be so - appreciation.

*ADDENDUM
Here is a list of my qualifications in fancy-speak (an approximation, limited scope, efficacy of many of them empirically verified), so that you get an idea of the potential that is ready to be applied when the opportunity arises and spiritual (which might intersect with material) motivation is given. I am applying as much of my wide sprectrum of skills as suits the situation, not just fixed on one role or process. Focus lies on the personal level, since that is the root of all human endeavors and ensuing problems.

entertainer, muse, creative director/concept designer/optimizer, synergistic artist (interdisciplinary, mixed skill levels, more wide than deep, focus on concept and process)
spiritual teacher, life counselor, mediator, communication expert
general analyst and consultant (processes and personal), smart planner/organizer, leader, holistic solution architect (problem solving instead of symptom management)

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

who here is glad that Illfonic moved from Star Marine toward full time development on their mature MMO where you can gently caress people for buffs

Is that actually still a thing? ESRB/PEGI and the like are going to have a field day with that one. How many countries won't even get it because they don't certify adult only titles?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Also does anyone have a working link for the citizen get a refund gif? Dolvak and his bots got the one I have in my av removed back during that fiasco.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wulfling posted:

One of you photo guru's fix the lando one I quoted earlier. Can't even begin to figure out how you do that poo poo.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Eonwe posted:

It sounds like it's gonna be amazing. I can't wait to read things posted by people who actually played it.

On a related note Eonwe, I'd like to start recording Huniepop some time next month.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:lol: posted:

entertainer, muse, creative director/concept designer/optimizer, synergistic artist (interdisciplinary, mixed skill levels, more wide than deep, focus on concept and process)
spiritual teacher, life counselor, mediator, communication expert
general analyst and consultant (processes and personal), smart planner/organizer, leader, holistic solution architect (problem solving instead of symptom management)

:five:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDGGPNRzsL0&t=12s

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Hey so I'm gonna throw together a website that people can link whenever people say "you obviously dont know how game development works". I basically want technical and/or experiential accounts from within the industry (software development/engineering) about why development shouldn't be this way. I know this is pretty much obvious to anyone who can actually think, but it would be good to have a pile of accounts from professionals explaining why this is bullshit.

If anyone would be interested in contributing to this, please PM me or just post it in the thread. Provide as much by way of credentials as you feel comfortable with, but I'd like to be able to put at least a job title underneath the explanation.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 9, 2016

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Dante80 posted:

citizencon 2015 + this

Hi DEREK.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Hey so I'm gonna throw together a website that people can link whenever people say "you obviously dont know how game development works". I basically want technical and/or experiential accounts from within the videogame industry about why game development shouldn't be this way. I know this is pretty much obvious to anyone who can actually think, but it would be good to have a pile of accounts from professionals explaining why this is bullshit.

If anyone would be interested in contributing to this, please PM me or just post it in the thread. Provide as much by way of credentials as you feel comfortable with, but I'd like to be able to put at least a job title underneath the explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_development_life_cycle

It's not game dev, it's software dev.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Also could someone post that comic that makes an analogy between game development and building a bike/car. you know the one.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Posting (as ever) from the past but bloody hell I nearly wet myself laughing at this, good work commando o9

fake edit. When I read the transcript I thought eh? That cant be for real so I went and watched it and gently caress me he really does say "ya whoah did ehp did eh woh did" good lord!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

yea I edited my post to be a bit broader.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It sounds like it's gonna be amazing. I can't wait to read things posted by people who actually played it.

On a related note Eonwe, I'd like to start recording Huniepop some time next month.

I never felt like I knew enough about Daikatana to weigh in, but I'll help you with your Huniepop LP

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoGxOxzAwc&t=2410s

Dunno if anyone mentioned this podcast before, some pretty funny stuff from Disco Lando, seems to get annoyed at one point.

Star Citizen is like wow, white items to start on ships, look for greens, blues, purples.

10 January 2016 posted:

It's all so early

Why do they all have beards?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Eonwe posted:

I never felt like I knew enough about Daikatana to weigh in, but I'll help you with your Huniepop LP

I thought you'd like my post where I found a Star Citizen who probably hasn't played a FPS since the turn of the millennia.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Hey so I'm gonna throw together a website that people can link whenever people say "you obviously dont know how game development works". I basically want technical and/or experiential accounts from within the industry (software development/engineering) about why development shouldn't be this way. I know this is pretty much obvious to anyone who can actually think, but it would be good to have a pile of accounts from professionals explaining why this is bullshit.

lol, are you going to exclude Uncle Smart? Otherwise Citizens will just dismiss it outright :v:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mirificus posted:

I thought you'd like my post where I found a Star Citizen who probably hasn't played a FPS since the turn of the millennia.

DAIKATANA has A and D bound to strafe, I'm sorry.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Galarox posted:

Posting (as ever) from the past but bloody hell I nearly wet myself laughing at this, good work commando o9

fake edit. When I read the transcript I thought eh? That cant be for real so I went and watched it and gently caress me he really does say "ya whoah did ehp did eh woh did" good lord!

Thanks. I'm debating whether to try making one for Croberts like cwc-tok.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
yes I am excluding derek. I love him but I think everyone involved already know his take and have already formed strong opinions of him regardless of how substantial his argument is. plus his missives have already reached more eyeballs than this ever would.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Man dowlphin, you suck at life

:sever:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaoGxOxzAwc&t=4880s

Star Citizen.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

Star Citizen is like wow, white items to start on ships, look for greens, blues, purples.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

shoulders too small, my immersion is ruined

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wafflz posted:

shoulders too small, my immersion is ruined

Not an orc ship obv

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Saw this post on reddit r/mmorpg, there are some white knights but it's interesting that the general view is that the game is a scam.

I guess the hive mind isn't as strong outside of their subreddit.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

FORBES: Do You Have Executive Presence?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2012/10/29/do-you-have-executive-presence/#39d3f5724964

$109 million. Send Chris to a class or two you clowns! The clerks at the 7-11 have more executive presence than that slob.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

VealCutlet posted:

I'm looking at adopting a cat and I think this little guy is the front runner.

Problem is I have commitment issues and no idea of how much effort it will take to care for this little fluff ball (the only thing I care for is me and a few fish).

Help me goons, you're my only hope.

I don't know if I can help here, since I'm your exact opposite (fish are for eating and tend to die pretty fast in my hands, it's like they can sense that I can only see them as food) but if I had more space in my tiny apartment, I'd grab that cute little bugger through the internet. More cats are always better, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

runsamok posted:

Don't worry, it's just the suicide watch list.

• Locked thread