Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Of course it is, I think with things like the ITA Matrix and Google Flights people are starting to realize they don't need Kayak, Cheapoair, etc. to find affordable flights and most of the time they're being booked through the carrier. That said, sometimes one of those third party sellers has the best price. Just gotta know what you're getting into before signing off on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Question about a flight to Canada. Looking to go from Norfolk/Newport News (potentially willing to deal with Richmond), fly in on the 26th of May, fly back on May 29) to Toronto. I see 355 pre tax as the cheapest, and then 377. Are those reasonable fares for a transfer flight to Toronto?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question about a flight to Canada. Looking to go from Norfolk/Newport News (potentially willing to deal with Richmond), fly in on the 26th of May, fly back on May 29) to Toronto. I see 355 pre tax as the cheapest, and then 377. Are those reasonable fares for a transfer flight to Toronto?

Canadians who live near the border are known to drive across the border to the nearest American airport to save money when travelling in the US. Make of that what you will.

I have no particular experience with that route, but it seems like a reasonable fare to me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ryand-Smith posted:

I see $295 from RIC to BUF if you're willing to make the drive up to YYZ from there. That drops to $220 if you're willing to leave a day early.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is there anyway to search for flexible flights?

Like I'm looking at 7 days in August, any date. From Chicago O'Hare to Gatwick in London?

Just want the best possible deal really. The only thing that's set in stone is the 7 days

asur
Dec 28, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is there anyway to search for flexible flights?

Like I'm looking at 7 days in August, any date. From Chicago O'Hare to Gatwick in London?

Just want the best possible deal really. The only thing that's set in stone is the 7 days

Google Flights or ITA Matrix both have this functionality.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Awesome man exactly what I was looking for

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
My husband and I both got our vacations approved for this summer, and we will be going to visit his family in Puerto Rico, (in addition to a few days for ourselves for a honeymoon - two birds, one stone, and all that). We want to splurge and fly first/business, which seems possible since it's the off-season in the Caribbean. The cheapest option I'm seeing is ~595/pp round trip with one stop. Am I missing any obvious cheaper options out there? (Our dates are not flexible, other than 'maybe' returning one day sooner).

Origin: AUS
Destination: SJU
Depart: 06-01-16 (Wednesday)
Return: 06-14-16 (Tuesday)
Options: First/Business

Best I've located is on AA with a stop in CLT both ways. I'd appreciate another set of eyes taking a glance as times permits.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Personally I don't think the value is there to justify flying first class, the flight itself is fairly short and the A321 is mostly just giving you extra legroom. With that said I can't begrudge your choice, you only go on a honeymoon once.

I poked around and the prices you're seeing are about the same that I'm seeing.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 9, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My wife and I flew home from our honeymoon on First Class because when you factored in all the luggage we had it wasn't all that more expensive than coach plus baggage fees. The legroom was nice I guess (we were in the first row) but what was really nice was the free booze and food, especially the mini bottles of champagne we toasted to our honeymoon with. So as long as AA offers that in first class, I say go for it. You (hopefully) only honeymoon once.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Worth noting is that AA has a "gently caress you" policy toward business class customers that aren't travelling overseas, in the form of denying them lounge access. That surprised me when I flew with them, especially considering lounge access is one of my favourite business class perks (right below lie-flat beds on overseas flights).

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

PT6A posted:

Worth noting is that AA has a "gently caress you" policy toward business class customers that aren't travelling overseas, in the form of denying them lounge access.

Yeah the first time that happened to me it blew my mind. gently caress AA. If I'm stuck flying a domestic carrier I generally go with Delta.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah the first time that happened to me it blew my mind. gently caress AA. If I'm stuck flying a domestic carrier I generally go with Delta.

I've heard United does the same thing with domestic flights, but at least they aren't so delusional that an itinerary involving a Canadian city is considered "domestic."

gently caress AA.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

United is hit or miss, think it depends on whoever is sitting at the front desk as I've been let in and turned away on the same trip. That said, AA is the only one I've flown with that doesn't allow business customers into the lounge unless its going transoceanic. To reiterate, gently caress AA.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I've flown first on United from Seattle to Denver and been allowed in the lounge, I actually so much took it for granted that it was a normal thing that I never even looked up to see if I was allowed to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Great OP. I wanted to ask for any tips/tricks people might have, basically looking for airfare and haven't done this before, want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Details:

Flying out of: Vancouver (YVR) Canada.
Flying into: Heres the thing, there is no super strong preference. If there is money to be saved and the destination is near a bullet train (any major city), it's all good. I haven't found a really decent way to search for flights by country and was hoping someone here would have some tricks for this.
Dates: Leaving YVR December 9th, returning to YVR December 23rd. Not very flexible for dates.

Thanks dudes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Great OP. I wanted to ask for any tips/tricks people might have, basically looking for airfare and haven't done this before, want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Details:

Flying out of: Vancouver (YVR) Canada.
Flying into: Heres the thing, there is no super strong preference. If there is money to be saved and the destination is near a bullet train (any major city), it's all good. I haven't found a really decent way to search for flights by country and was hoping someone here would have some tricks for this.
Dates: Leaving YVR December 9th, returning to YVR December 23rd. Not very flexible for dates.

Thanks dudes.

Use ITA Matrix, you can select a city near the geographic centre of the country you want and then increase the search radius to include everything within x kilometers.

I think with Google flights you can also just choose a country.

You're likely looking at the $1000 CAD range anyway from what I can tell.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HookShot posted:

Use ITA Matrix, you can select a city near the geographic centre of the country you want and then increase the search radius to include everything within x kilometers.

I think with Google flights you can also just choose a country.

You're likely looking at the $1000 CAD range anyway from what I can tell.

Thanks, I will try ITA.

Yeah 1k isn't that bad, I think it's mostly expensive just to fly 2 days before xmas.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

With Google Flights you can pick a continent, a month, and a duration and it'll spit out ideas.

Also you can manipulate the month beyond the few options it gives you (I haven't used it in a minute but I think it's 3-4 months) by manipulating the month integer in the url.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Alriiight. This started over in the Europe thread, was suggested to move over here (I don't go to T&T that often, so I didn't know about this sticky!)

My trip is a bit complicated, as I'll be in Turkey for a while, then I'd like to go to Croatia for a week or so.

Trip is LAX -> IST
IST -> SPU (Split)
ZAG (Zagreb) -> LAX

Leaving end of May (was looking at 31st, but flexible by a day or two). Able to leave Istanbul for Croatia on the 11th of July (flexible after, but not before) and looking to head home after about a week or so, around the 18th of July.

Been having trouble locating tickets cheaper than USD $1250ish, and Saladman mentioned seeing round trips for like $500 to/from IST which ... surprised me (although the price is for a month earlier than I can leave).

I've been using google, sta travel, kayak, a whole host of others, and the airlines themselves to search. Also looked at two round trips (LAX<->IST + IST<->ZAG/SPU) instead, but still pretty expensive.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
On my way to PEK at the moment; I will take a look at these posts tomorrow after I've had actual sleep and thus am able to form a cogent thought.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Alriiight. This started over in the Europe thread, was suggested to move over here (I don't go to T&T that often, so I didn't know about this sticky!)

My trip is a bit complicated, as I'll be in Turkey for a while, then I'd like to go to Croatia for a week or so.

Trip is LAX -> IST
IST -> SPU (Split)
ZAG (Zagreb) -> LAX

Leaving end of May (was looking at 31st, but flexible by a day or two). Able to leave Istanbul for Croatia on the 11th of July (flexible after, but not before) and looking to head home after about a week or so, around the 18th of July.

Been having trouble locating tickets cheaper than USD $1250ish, and Saladman mentioned seeing round trips for like $500 to/from IST which ... surprised me (although the price is for a month earlier than I can leave).

I've been using google, sta travel, kayak, a whole host of others, and the airlines themselves to search. Also looked at two round trips (LAX<->IST + IST<->ZAG/SPU) instead, but still pretty expensive.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I tried checking with the trip split up as a LAX-IST + ZAG-LAX roundtrip and then a separate one way (btw be sure to cehck, but the cheapest I could get for the roundtrip was $1100 and then you have to fly to Split on top of that. So not looking great. Keep in mind you're traveling in the summer and fares starting from the US are usually more expensive than fares to the US. $500 seems like a promotional thing, these things are easy when your dates aren't set beforehand but yours are.. Be sure to check out Pegasus Airways (Turkish LCC) separately for the Split/Zagreb flight as they are not listed on all booking engines. Same goes for Ryanair, but that is irrelevant in this case.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

If you can't leave at that time then you shouldn't even consider it closely applicable to your situation. I can't find the specific promotion to get it that low but it's likely over by end of May because every backpacker and college kid would be doing it.

Also lol at the people upset they can't access an AA domestic lounge. The last thing those decrepit things need is an additional 10 people taking advantage of a 359 promotional biz class one way to Zacatecas or whatever international destination is closer that a midcon. The lounges are plenty crappy/full without you and you'll be fine without your expired snack mix and free pours of a single lovely domestic beer.

Seriously though, if someone hangs their hat on flying a bunch of short to mid range international flights and is springing for biz class, just pay for the drat lounge access. You are missing nothing but if that free wifi really makes or breaks your productivity for the day and you can't use LTE the cost is probably worth it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

Also lol at the people upset they can't access an AA domestic lounge. The last thing those decrepit things need is an additional 10 people taking advantage of a 359 promotional biz class one way to Zacatecas or whatever international destination is closer that a midcon. The lounges are plenty crappy/full without you and you'll be fine without your expired snack mix and free pours of a single lovely domestic beer.

Seriously though, if someone hangs their hat on flying a bunch of short to mid range international flights and is springing for biz class, just pay for the drat lounge access. You are missing nothing but if that free wifi really makes or breaks your productivity for the day and you can't use LTE the cost is probably worth it.

These would be great points if other airlines all over the world did something similar, but oddly enough they manage to provide lounge access to all business class travellers -- even domestic!

When you're honestly being worse than Air Canada, which provides lounge access to all business class passengers, you really, really need to take your head out of your rear end. If you're not providing amenities like lounge access, you really should be marketing that fare as premium economy, not business class.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a way of knowing when the best time to buy flights is? Flying from Vancouver to Tokyo in December and wondering if prices are going to change much at all between then and now.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That was an oddly hostile response to a critique of an airline. Non-US carriers don't begrudge domestic fliers, business is business. Flying from JFK to LAX or similar is a much more involved flight than 95% of flights around Europe or SE Asia.

People that pay for business class should be provided with that level of service, but US carriers gave up on customer service in favor of being gussied up LCC's years ago.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

These would be great points if other airlines all over the world did something similar, but oddly enough they manage to provide lounge access to all business class travellers -- even domestic!

When you're honestly being worse than Air Canada, which provides lounge access to all business class passengers, you really, really need to take your head out of your rear end. If you're not providing amenities like lounge access, you really should be marketing that fare as premium economy, not business class.

lol

premium economy over business because of lounge access, got it. a reasonable statement given the laundry list of problems with premium cabins domestically.

have y'all started a thread on flyer talk about the need for lounge access to prep for that <5 hour flight to costa rica? i heard the airlines read them!!!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

lol

premium economy over business because of lounge access, got it. a reasonable statement given the laundry list of problems with premium cabins domestically.

have y'all started a thread on flyer talk about the need for lounge access to prep for that <5 hour flight to costa rica? i heard the airlines read them!!!!

I haven't flown a premium economy cabin domestically in the US, but I have with AA's partners in OneWorld, as I have in business class both short haul and long haul, paid for with my own money in all cases. Forgive me if I expect American Airlines (small a and big a both applicable in this case) to do at least as well as Iberia, an airline based in a country with a horrible economic crisis which also faces incredibly strong competition from LCCs.

Frankly, it seems to me like you have an attitude problem.

To make this post more germane to the discussion of finding good value in airfares: I'm merely pointing out that not all business classes are created equal, and this should be taken into account when booking tickets and comparing prices. AA business class compares more closely to WestJet premium economy than any other business class flight I've ever taken, either short-haul or long-haul, which is why I made the comparison. What additional services/benefits does AA's business class offer?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 15, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Is there a way of knowing when the best time to buy flights is? Flying from Vancouver to Tokyo in December and wondering if prices are going to change much at all between then and now.

I usually fly ANA. They have a good search calendar. Flights for winter will fill up/go up in fall. I'd jump on anything under $1000, but depending on fuel surcharge and availability you might find something as cheap as $750. Sorry for your Canadian dollars.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah if you see it drop below $1000 you can feel comfortable booking it, unless you miss a great sale that's about the lowest they go.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

I haven't flown a premium economy cabin domestically in the US, but I have with AA's partners in OneWorld, as I have in business class both short haul and long haul, paid for with my own money in all cases. Forgive me if I expect American Airlines (small a and big a both applicable in this case) to do at least as well as Iberia, an airline based in a country with a horrible economic crisis which also faces incredibly strong competition from LCCs.

Frankly, it seems to me like you have an attitude problem.

To make this post more germane to the discussion of finding good value in airfares: I'm merely pointing out that not all business classes are created equal, and this should be taken into account when booking tickets and comparing prices. AA business class compares more closely to WestJet premium economy than any other business class flight I've ever taken, either short-haul or long-haul, which is why I made the comparison. What additional services/benefits does AA's business class offer?
lol you're more than welcome to come here to Europe and to fly business here with 30 inch seat pitch for your 3/4 hour flight from LHR to ATH. I'd so happily trade away those 30 minutes in Galleries Club for a proper business class seat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

lol you're more than welcome to come here to Europe and to fly business here with 30 inch seat pitch for your 3/4 hour flight from LHR to ATH. I'd so happily trade away those 30 minutes in Galleries Club for a proper business class seat.

Iberia gives extra legroom in Business, they're the only ones I've flown with Europe. I guess, and I never thought I'd say this, I've been spoiled with Air Canada and WestJet. Who would've guessed?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

Iberia gives extra legroom in Business, they're the only ones I've flown with Europe. I guess, and I never thought I'd say this, I've been spoiled with Air Canada and WestJet. Who would've guessed?

In short haul business (excl. a few routes where they fly a widebody or equipment swaps for their Africa A319s), they do not, unless you count 33 inches instead of 31 as being extra legroom

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 15, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

In short haul business (excl. a few routes where they fly a widebody or equipment swaps for their Africa A319s), they do not, unless you count 33 inches instead of 31 as being extra legroom

You know what? Oddly enough I do count "extra legroom" as "extra legroom." I also enjoy no possibility of being in a middle seat, and having no one sitting directly beside me. 33 vs 31 inches means the difference between being unable to fit comfortably (having to fold my legs underneath my seat and/or having my knees jammed into the seat in front of me), and just not having much room, so it actually makes a huge difference to me.

And, yeah, being able to kill time in a nice lounge chair with a glass or two of wine is a huge perk on a layover, especially if I had to get up especially early for the flight or if I'm connecting from a red-eye. Perhaps other people prefer business class for other reasons, but lounge access (including the complementary left-luggage service, if offered) is a big deal for me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Nah dude you should see the poo poo American pulls. It's absolute hell not sitting in tattered vinyl oversized chairs compared to the luxury of having somethings plastic literally blocking out a middle seat and a poo poo pastry and calling that a premium class.

Also in terms of premium cabins, AA's new business class for true long haul routes is cool and good and the 773 is as big of a step forward as any airline could take at once I think. It's a shame they're loving up so much other poo poo.

PT6A posted:

You know what? Oddly enough I do count "extra legroom" as "extra legroom." I also enjoy no possibility of being in a middle seat, and having no one sitting directly beside me. 33 vs 31 inches means the difference between being unable to fit comfortably (having to fold my legs underneath my seat and/or having my knees jammed into the seat in front of me), and just not having much room, so it actually makes a huge difference to me.

And, yeah, being able to kill time in a nice lounge chair with a glass or two of wine is a huge perk on a layover, especially if I had to get up especially early for the flight or if I'm connecting from a red-eye. Perhaps other people prefer business class for other reasons, but lounge access (including the complementary left-luggage service, if offered) is a big deal for me.

Have you been in an Admirals club recently, especially one that serves the routes you're talking about? It's dreadful. Even DFW's D terminal is just so sterile. Why you wouldn't go to a finer establishment and get a real glass of wine and a real snack of something possibly nutritious is beyond me but I guess my standards are just different.

If it really grinds your gears that much just buy a day pass. Compare the price and service with that additional charge to competition and if the ticket is cheaper and more convenient elsewhere with lounge access included, go get em. Because you're a big boy and you PAY for tickets with your OWN money you can vote with your wallet!!

I just don't see ~$90 or 100 for the 2x access to the lounge being a big percentage of a ticket. And if it is, see my previous point about bargain "business" fares vs the long hauls that are priced accordingly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

Have you been in an Admirals club recently, especially one that serves the routes you're talking about? It's dreadful. Even DFW's D terminal is just so sterile. Why you wouldn't go to a finer establishment and get a real glass of wine and a real snack of something possibly nutritious is beyond me but I guess my standards are just different.

If it really grinds your gears that much just buy a day pass. Compare the price and service with that additional charge to competition and if the ticket is cheaper and more convenient elsewhere with lounge access included, go get em. Because you're a big boy and you PAY for tickets with your OWN money you can vote with your wallet!!

I just don't see ~$90 or 100 for the 2x access to the lounge being a big percentage of a ticket. And if it is, see my previous point about bargain "business" fares vs the long hauls that are priced accordingly.

1. I haven't been in an Admiral's Club, for the exact reason that I brought up at the beginning of this discussion. I've never been on an itinerary that American considers "international" despite one or more of the cities involved not being located in the US.

2. To use my last trip through Heathrow as an example, I was flying business class one way, and premium economy the other way. Spending the layover in the Galleries lounge was way, way, way better than sitting around the bar in the terminal. If the AA lounges are so bad that this is not the case, it's just another reason why American is a garbage airline to be avoided.

3. I do vote with my wallet, by not flying American unless it's absolutely necessary. At the beginning of this discussion, I was letting other posters know about their disagreeable policy so they could make an informed choice and do the same.

4. It's for 4x access to the lounge, assuming you have a single connection, which I most often do when I'm flying internationally. Sometimes I even have two connections in the same trip, as shocking as that may be, in which case it would be 6 separate lounge accesses!

5. Which airline are you talking about where you get "a poo poo pastry" in business class, or even premium economy? I don't want to fly that airline. WestJet's food service is brutal, and it's still better than that in premium economy. And they're a full-on LCC!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So you've never been and are commenting about situations you've never actually been in. Got it. Here's the spoiler, you aren't missing much, and it goes for basically every domestic airline lounge in the US except for certain first class lounges and I have a soft spot for Alaska's.

If you are traveling through multiple cities with lounges, you may use the day pass to access more than one lounge that day. If traveling overnight, the pass is also valid at the first point of arrival the following day. Also the day pass covers up to 3 children but no additional adults if you are con ninos.

Malaysia's short haul business is where I got a poo poo pastry most recently, but TACA and LAN both have had it as well, and both of those service a ton of airports that wouldn't grant you lounge access if flying in their business class cabin.

All being said, as someone who pays for J long haul I'm happy that the lounge isn't further overcrowded by short haul regional business class fares and as someone who also flys those routes i can pick a spot to post up in most airports that is more enjoyable.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
PT6A just likes to brag about the fact that he paid money for a business class seat once and so is therefore entitled to comment in this discussion because he is rich, you see.

He does that poo poo all the time in the Canada thread too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So I've been going through booking hell for the past week or so, but to cut a long story short: somehow the price of my flight (LAX -> IST) dropped to <$1000 literally as I booked it. Like, it wouldn't let me book because the price had changed, redid my search, and the flights were generally cheaper all around.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

All being said, as someone who pays for J long haul I'm happy that the lounge isn't further overcrowded by short haul regional business class fares and as someone who also flys those routes i can pick a spot to post up in most airports that is more enjoyable.

How come United can treat Canada as an international destination without overcrowding their lounges, then? My point is that AA is denying a service I expected to receive as a part of a business class ticket on the basis of a very odd definition of "international," and someone who's considering purchasing an AA business class fare should be aware of it. It's certainly AA's choice to implement whatever policy they like, as it's my choice to avoid flying them as a result, and it's your choice to fly them long-haul to avoid the gangs of Canadians who would crowd the United lounges with their inferior, short-haul fares.

I don't know why you're so upset that I'm surprised AA doesn't provide a service to its business class travellers that every other airline I've flown does. Most of my flying is done outside the US, so what may seem obvious to you based on "common practice" is, in fact, foreign to the rest of us. Unlike the distinction between North American and European business class, which is made quite obvious during the booking process, this variation in standards between countries and even individual airlines is not obvious, so I don't think there's a problem with informing people, like myself, who might not be aware.