Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
One of my co-workers is leaving to go work harvest/crush and intern in NZ. Definitely a little envious,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Spoilers!

(Also make sure to turn off the return air system immediately when service ends if it's cold out!)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Shabadu posted:

As long as you have a chemical dishwasher and sanitizer on hand it should be fine afaik. Or at least that was what happened in MA a couple years back. We just had to use disposable dishware/utensils for a couple days.

Here in DC the first thing the health inspector does is check the sinks to make sure you have hot water; if you don't...well, grab your ankles and hope for lubricant.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Trebuchet King posted:

Here in DC the first thing the health inspector does is check the sinks to make sure you have hot water; if you don't...well, grab your ankles and hope for lubricant.

Is the Army exempt from govt health/safety inspections? Because my DFAC's been running with:

--- no hot water to wash your hands with in the bathrooms, or the small hand washing sinks in the kitchen and behind the serving line
--- useless liquid hand soap that comes in gallon jugs, gets watered down, and put into old Dial pumps
--- the sink/disposal you would normally rinse pot & pans in has been clogged for about a month; we still rinse (sparingly) and then have to empty the sink by hand with a ladle and pour it down the floor drain
--- we have an eyewash station in the dishroom that's leaking
--- anyone remember my fun story about the dishwasher catching fire? No? Probably because it was over half a year ago... and yet the fire extinguisher we used that night has not been replaced
--- our MSDS book is kept in a locked closet

...all this, for months. And yet we're told every week that "the inspectors were here, and they found some greasy shotguns." They're not lying about inspectors; this thread taught me that there are private inspectors. But is the military not accountable to OSHA or [my city]'s Dept of Health?

And then the kicker is the latest edict from on high: cooks and KP can't wear their aprons into the restrooms (public or BOH). Cause it's like, icky or something, I don't even know wtf. One of the sgt's had a problem with people wearing food-splattered aprons in the pisser. I've been ankle deep in uneaten army chow for 3 hours bc we don't have a single working garbage disposal, i think my torso is the least of your worries about getting cooties. From food. In a kitch:psyboom:

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 8, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Hot water is required by every state/city health inspector afaik. If my dishwasher isn't at 160F or higher, and doesn't test properly with a temp strip, I get shut down.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

No, military everything has to adhere to all laws that civilians do in that state, barring very few minor exceptions.

That being said, it is gross for you to wear your apron into the bathroom. I have never worked anywhere that allowed staff to wear aprons into the bathroom.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

No, military everything has to adhere to all laws that civilians do in that state, barring very few minor exceptions.

That being said, it is gross for you to wear your apron into the bathroom. I have never worked anywhere that allowed staff to wear aprons into the bathroom.

Really? All of us think it's bizarre as hell. What's the difference between me wearing my apron to pee in the staff locker room, and a cook coming in with whites splattered with sloppy joes?

Edit: especially since, like I said, I'm still walking into the restroom with everything below the knee covered in basically undigested poo poo. Hell, when the pots & pans disposal still worked, that bitch would fling food all over if you hit it wrong. I once threw a shotgun of yams down there and that poo poo became weaponized tuber aerosol.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 8, 2016

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Really? All of us think it's bizarre as hell. What's the difference between me wearing my apron to pee in the staff locker room, and a cook coming in with whites splattered with sloppy joes?

There isn't. You shouldn't wear your apron into the restroom period. This goes for waiters as well, which I know you don't have, but Its because its applicable to not just aprons, but anything worn or used in the kitchen. Things like chef coats and towels are also on the list of stuff that should never go into the bathroom.

The reason being is that you are trying to eliminate any possibility of fecal matter being brought into contact with prep surfaces. Its not a perfect industry, and its impossible to eliminate everything, but this is a small and easy to follow rule for general sanitation.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

There isn't. You shouldn't wear your apron into the restroom period. This goes for waiters as well, which I know you don't have, but Its because its applicable to not just aprons, but anything worn or used in the kitchen. Things like chef coats and towels are also on the list of stuff that should never go into the bathroom.

The reason being is that you are trying to eliminate any possibility of fecal matter being brought into contact with prep surfaces. Its not a perfect industry, and its impossible to eliminate everything, but this is a small and easy to follow rule for general sanitation.

I see your point, thanks. It drives home the absurdity, though, that the issue is aprons, and not, y'know, cold water and 90% diluted grade Z soap being put into old containers at every public and staff restroom. Hands are a bigger poop vector than my apron, last time I checked, how's about we get that poo poo correct, first?

That, and the way it was explained to us was -- really -- "some of the Army staff don't like seeing the dirty aprons when they use the restroom. Take your apron off before using them." Sanitation wasn't even mentioned.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I see your point, thanks. It drives home the absurdity, though, that the issue is aprons, and not, y'know, cold water and 90% diluted grade Z soap being put into old containers at every public and staff restroom. Hands are a bigger poop vector than my apron, last time I checked, how's about we get that poo poo correct, first?

That, and the way it was explained to us was -- really -- "some of the Army staff don't like seeing the dirty aprons when they use the restroom. Take your apron off before using them." Sanitation wasn't even mentioned.

Yeah Id ring the bell on that poo poo. Sanitation should be a bare minimum.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Secret Spoon posted:

About a month into my current job the owner got a wild hair up his rear end to give the bathroom a good scrub-down while wearing a chef coat. He isn't a cook himself, I think he just likes wearing it regardless of what he's doing so he projects that he's part of the team.

Good guy, though. I like him a lot.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Republicans posted:

About a month into my current job the owner got a wild hair up his rear end to give the bathroom a good scrub-down while wearing a chef coat. He isn't a cook himself, I think he just likes wearing it regardless of what he's doing so he projects that he's part of the team.

Good guy, though. I like him a lot.

An owner who will scrub down a bathroom while trying to fit into the team sounds like a chill dude.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Secret Spoon posted:

An owner who will scrub down a bathroom while trying to fit into the team sounds like a chill dude.

By far the best manager I've ever had was the GM I first met while he was sweeping the parking lot in 90F June heat.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Secret Spoon posted:

Seriously though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah dude sounds rad, but wearing a chef coat while doing it? Whatever, I guess.

Latest frustration: people who not only refuse to say "behind," but also get super defensive and angry about how they "shouldn't have to say behind!"

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

Yeah dude sounds rad, but wearing a chef coat while doing it? Whatever, I guess.

Latest frustration: people who not only refuse to say "behind," but also get super defensive and angry about how they "shouldn't have to say behind!"

Not nearly as defensive as when you loudly call "Behind, heard!" after they fail to call. Works well with corner, too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
You guys have a rape room too? I was worried we worked together until I saw you are in NYC.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Newly single, no longer tied to Northern Ontario. Considering another Ontario city. Any suggestions for cheap rent and decent kitchen work?

I heard Toronto isn't good work, but is Ottawa? Windsor? What if we count Montreal as Ontario?

Let a brother know.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

How is this not basic poo poo like in any manual laborish job? It is for stagehand poo poo as you are always crammed up working around other people with tools and sharp/heavy poo poo.

The other day I was pushing a bunch of poo poo through a hotel kitchen (why do people build so that a kitchen as the only route from a ballroom to a dock?) at like 530pm and was yelling "behind you, sorry, behind you, sorry" for like an hour straight.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Trebuchet King posted:

What is their justification for why they shouldn't have to say behind? Are they outfitted with warning beepers or is everyone else gifted with 360 degree radar vision?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

god only knows, really. in fairness it's really only within the past year and a half that this place has started to resemble a real restaurant.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

Newly single, no longer tied to Northern Ontario. Considering another Ontario city. Any suggestions for cheap rent and decent kitchen work?

I heard Toronto isn't good work, but is Ottawa? Windsor? What if we count Montreal as Ontario?

Let a brother know.

Ottawa has an alright restaurant scene, rent is pretty high though, especially downtown. I don't know anything about Windsor. London is garbage, don't go there. Toronto is insane cost of living and most of the high end places will pay you $130/day for a 12+ hour shift. It's pretty awful. Depending on how small you want to go, Guelph has a pretty decent high end pub scene and good cost of living. Kingston isn't too bad. Stratford has a lot of restaurants because of that loving ridiculous chef school that they have there, so if you can beat out a bunch of chef school non-cooks, you can do well. It's coming up on summer, and you can make a shitton of money in the Muskoka area (and probably have your rent/etc paid for), but it's seasonal. Niagara also has some really nice restaurants (especially in the wineries), but the cost of living is up there, and public transit is non-existant.

I live in Kitchener, so around here is what I know most about. Kitchener/Waterloo has a really improved restaurant scene in the last 5ish years and cost of living is really reasonable. The downtown core is a bit of a nightmare to traverse right now because of some bullshit rail construction, but if you have a vehicle / find a place to live near where you work, it's not bad at all. Also, I'm hiring a full time cook right now.

If you have any questions about any specific cities, I know people in most of the ones I mentioned and can give you some rent/salary numbers to expect or whatever, if you need.

edit: Montreal is loving awesome and it's my favourite city in this whole goddamn world. Restaurant scene is phenomenal, rent isn't completely crazy, you might have some limited options if you can't at least understand French. Go spend a week there before you decide if you want to move there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crossposting from the comicstrip megathread...

Outbursts of everett true, 1916.

Turns out 100 years and people still bitch about appearances.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tunicate posted:

Turns out 100 years and people still bitch about appearances.

Weird how the way you present yourself reflects on what people will think of the place you work for.

Oh, wait. That isn't weird at all.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Weird how the way you present yourself reflects on what people will think of the place you work for.

Oh, wait. That isn't weird at all.

While cleanliness is of course next to godliness, sometimes this little thing called fast-paced productivity gets in the way. :shrug:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just served the high school basketball team from the suburbs.

Bill: $250, split asymmetrically 16 ways.

Tip: $5 and a note that says "U R A oval office"

Upside: forwarded the message to the highschools Facebook page.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Please keep the thread updated on the school's reply. :allears:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Those kids won't have a sex drive by the time they finish running all those laps.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mezzanon posted:

Post screenshots of the fb comments.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh my god, this will be amazing. :allears:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Post screenshots of the fb comments.

Mezzanon posted:

Yesss

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I desire to know more.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This should be good.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

:f5:

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Finally got my offer letter from the other place yesterday and was up till 4am with my finger over the send button, stressing out about sending my notice, even though it's the right thing to do. I put my phone on silent expecting mad phone calls in the morning, but no. Not a single email, call or text. I checked Craigslist and they put an add up. Nice.

And I'm going to be in late as gently caress because I'm on a wild goose chase for some sort of mystery cheap meat samples that the owner wants me to get. Everyone is going to be a oval office to me for the next month or so, but hey. No Mas rape room.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So I think I just got a high school basketball team suspended.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

loving awesome.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mezzanon posted:

Ahahaha. :laugh::master::laugh:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mezzanon posted:

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Also In this day and age what do you guys use to host images, for the remainder of my time here and from the past few weeks I have been taking pictures of stupid poo poo my cooks do, and I would like to share.

• Locked thread