Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably not but I'm also not sure what else you could put on him. It would be helpful against swarms that have a support Ace with them; you're going to see where the low guys are and if the Ace stays near them you can block that Ace.

I want to get Ultra Dash to work with Jan Ors but the HWK is really bad for a 2-3 ship build.

Intelligence Agent maybe? I imagine getting in the way of something like Whisper, blocking her action, and giving her stress would be really disruptive. You lose the ability to shoot them in the face unfortunately.

"Chopper" (37)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Navigator (3)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Dash Rendar (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Outrider (5)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How likely do you think it is that Chopper would be getting shots on aces like that? Wouldn't they be arc dodging like mad?

I mean, gunner makes you an actual threat to aces beyond range 1. Any decent ace will laugh off a range 3 shot from chopper, but throw in gunner and it becomes much more of a threat. Also, not every ace arc dodges like Soontir.

Hell, just by having these huge threat zones, even if the aces are dodging them, that means that a) they're more predictable and b) you can herd them towards a place you want (like away from Dash's donut hole).

Also, when you do get an ace in arc (it'll happen eventually), you want to make the most of the shot. Two chances are better than one.

With that said, I can see why people wouldn't like gunner, but any chance to put more damage on dodgy ships like aces and Ties makes me happy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

It's all theorycrafting, but I've really taken to wondering if beefing up Tel would be better than beefing up Dengar. Pair Tel with something really offensive and you leave the other guy with a really crappy choice on who to kill.

Maybe something like this?
[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!172:98,-1,-1,179,180,128:29:6:;134:-1,-1,21,174,133,128:-1:3:&sn=DoubleJump![/url]

If you want to make a tanky toilet seat, Tel is definitely the way to go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ranbo das posted:

I mean, gunner makes you an actual threat to aces beyond range 1. Any decent ace will laugh off a range 3 shot from chopper, but throw in gunner and it becomes much more of a threat. Also, not every ace arc dodges like Soontir.

Hell, just by having these huge threat zones, even if the aces are dodging them, that means that a) they're more predictable and b) you can herd them towards a place you want (like away from Dash's donut hole).

Also, when you do get an ace in arc (it'll happen eventually), you want to make the most of the shot. Two chances are better than one.

With that said, I can see why people wouldn't like gunner, but any chance to put more damage on dodgy ships like aces and Ties makes me happy.

My concern is that you're encouraging Chopper to be something he's not. At least as far as I can tell Chopper's major benefit comes from getting in close and really disrupting operations. Coming in to contact with people, shooting them point blank with Zeb, stuff like that. Obviously having a chance at a reroll with Gunner is pretty solid but that seems like a lot of points for someone who will suffer from a maneuverability perspective.

I'll also admit to being somewhat biased towards finding a way to shoehorn Chopper in with a 58 point Super Dash so my options are limited to 42 points.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My concern is that you're encouraging Chopper to be something he's not. At least as far as I can tell Chopper's major benefit comes from getting in close and really disrupting operations. Coming in to contact with people, shooting them point blank with Zeb, stuff like that. Obviously having a chance at a reroll with Gunner is pretty solid but that seems like a lot of points for someone who will suffer from a maneuverability perspective.

I'll also admit to being somewhat biased towards finding a way to shoehorn Chopper in with a 58 point Super Dash so my options are limited to 42 points.

I guess the point of gunner is that throwing him at people at range 1, he's gonna tear poo poo up. with or without it. He's already amazing at range 1. Gunner shores up one of his weaknesses, that being that people will figure that out very quickly and try to stay at range. Also, even with gunner, at range 1 he still has zeb and autoblaster which are two of the things that make for a potent range 1.

I guess there's basically two ways to go with this. Do you want to make him even more powerful at range 1, or try to shore up his weaknesses at range 3? Because aces are gonna be dancing at range 3 taking shots, no doubt about it.

If the generic is only like two points less, then you'd have to sacrifice something to fit gunner, and i think then you keep chopper. But I'd rather have generic + gunner than chopper.

I dunno, I'm looking for the same thing (42 points to complement Dash) and really I'm sure it'll become immediately apparent if gunner is worth it with a couple games played. I just want the new wave to be out now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ranbo das posted:

I guess the point of gunner is that throwing him at people at range 1, he's gonna tear poo poo up. with or without it. He's already amazing at range 1. Gunner shores up one of his weaknesses, that being that people will figure that out very quickly and try to stay at range. Also, even with gunner, at range 1 he still has zeb and autoblaster which are two of the things that make for a potent range 1.

I guess there's basically two ways to go with this. Do you want to make him even more powerful at range 1, or try to shore up his weaknesses at range 3? Because aces are gonna be dancing at range 3 taking shots, no doubt about it.

If the generic is only like two points less, then you'd have to sacrifice something to fit gunner, and i think then you keep chopper. But I'd rather have generic + gunner than chopper.

I dunno, I'm looking for the same thing (42 points to complement Dash) and really I'm sure it'll become immediately apparent if gunner is worth it with a couple games played. I just want the new wave to be out now.

No argument here.

I see your point about the balance between flexibility and specialization. I imagine it will also depend on your local meta. Here are my concerns:

1. The most prevalent threat to large ships is TLT. Four TLT Y-Wings against a 0 agility ship basically means you have two turns to live. In that situation you're going to want to get up close and donut hole them, and at that point Gunner is far less useful.

2. Adding Dash means that you have a very solid threat at Range 3, so the close-in abilities of Chopper complement the long-range abilities of Dash.

3. Those 5 points force you to sacrifice a fair amount of other capabilities in order to achieve them, and given how many dice you're rolling it seems like a fairly situational requirement.

Don't get me wrong, you have some compelling arguments and it could make a lot of sense. I'm just not sure I'm convinced just yet. Personally I really want to play around with torpedoes, especially if the VCX-100 has some kind of special secondary weapon arc.

nilstryfe
Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong Cavalier

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No argument here.

I see your point about the balance between flexibility and specialization. I imagine it will also depend on your local meta. Here are my concerns:

1. The most prevalent threat to large ships is TLT. Four TLT Y-Wings against a 0 agility ship basically means you have two turns to live. In that situation you're going to want to get up close and donut hole them, and at that point Gunner is far less useful.

2. Adding Dash means that you have a very solid threat at Range 3, so the close-in abilities of Chopper complement the long-range abilities of Dash.

3. Those 5 points force you to sacrifice a fair amount of other capabilities in order to achieve them, and given how many dice you're rolling it seems like a fairly situational requirement.

Don't get me wrong, you have some compelling arguments and it could make a lot of sense. I'm just not sure I'm convinced just yet. Personally I really want to play around with torpedoes, especially if the VCX-100 has some kind of special secondary weapon arc.

I haven't seen anything about a special secondary arc, just that you can shoot primary out of the rear ark if the Phantom is docked to the Ghost. Is there something I missed?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm going to fly Porkins with Wingman and nobody can stop me!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Porkins with Rage and EI. You can hold it!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

nilstryfe posted:

I haven't seen anything about a special secondary arc, just that you can shoot primary out of the rear ark if the Phantom is docked to the Ghost. Is there something I missed?

There's a torpedo symbol printed on the rear arc, people have hypothesised a lot about what this means, but we don't know for sure.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Jek Porkins + R5D8 + Advanced Proton Torps + Rage + Experimental Interface :getin:

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
Is this too gimmicky? I just really want to use Manaroo. I'm clearly not very good at x-wing. I feel like there's decent :airquote:action economy:airquote: but I'm afraid just not enough red dice rolling.

Manaroo (27)
Push the Limit (3)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Kavil (24)
Squad Leader (2)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

Palob Godalhi (20)
Bodyguard (2)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Moldy Crow (3)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
With manaroo tossing stuff around I would give kavil vi and a blaster turret instead personally

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)

Nera Dantels (26)
Deadeye (1)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Too many points in souped-up B-wings? I thought Nera's 360 torpedos were kinda cool. I'm kinda wondering what the most effective kit for her would be though.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

bunnyofdoom posted:

With manaroo tossing stuff around I would give kavil vi and a blaster turret instead personally

I definitely built one like that. I think the seemingly infinite wait has got me twiddling my digital thumbs on squad builders. Not healthy, mostly because you end up making stupid rear end lists.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)

Nera Dantels (26)
Deadeye (1)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Too many points in souped-up B-wings? I thought Nera's 360 torpedos were kinda cool. I'm kinda wondering what the most effective kit for her would be though.

I'd swap Ten's torpedoes to Flechettes. He's going to get the crit through, and that's all you care about. Stress is more useful against a lot of ships than throwing more results. Using the points saved, I'd give Nera full on Protons, to increase her potential damage since she actually does want to get more hits in.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

I'd swap Ten's torpedoes to Flechettes. He's going to get the crit through, and that's all you care about. Stress is more useful against a lot of ships than throwing more results. Using the points saved, I'd give Nera full on Protons, to increase her potential damage since she actually does want to get more hits in.

I actually like Plasma Torps since they're basically a guaranteed extra damage, at least early on against shielded targets.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I actually like Plasma Torps since they're basically a guaranteed extra damage, at least early on against shielded targets.

Nera's firing late enough that this shouldn't be an issue, and Guidance Chips are already your guaranteed extra damage. Plasma Torpedoes have to hit in order to do that damage, and Proton Torpedoes get you better dice mods and better chance of more crits which can give you more damage effects beyond "a shield token if there are any left after the attack if it had any to begin with".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strobe posted:

Yeah, Flechettes actually make a lot of sense with the chips. Totally makes protons redundant on Numb.

E:
Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)

Nera Dantels (26)
Deadeye (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

Integrated astro for the clutch save, protopedoes on Nera, and why even bother with flechettes when Numb already has the Mangler? Now I just gotta figure out what to do with the last 3 points. B-wing/E2 and a two point crew buddy?

E2: Nah, Fire Control on Nera for slightly easier torpedo shenanigans makes more sense.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 9, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

What's the distribution of must-have cards in this next wave? Two Adaptabilities in the Mist Hunter, one chip in the Inquisitor, two chips in the Punishing One?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
VCX-100 seems to be full of good cards. Mine's apparently going to be here tomorrow!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

General Battuta posted:

What's the distribution of must-have cards in this next wave? Two Adaptabilities in the Mist Hunter, one chip in the Inquisitor, two chips in the Punishing One?

Depends if you count the T70 and f/o or not. If you do, then Juke is definitely a key card and one that can certainly see use in multiples.

Otherwise, Adaptability and Tractor Beam in Mist Hunter, Chimps in Inquisitor and P1, and a bunch of outstanding Scum crew in both Scum ships. Reinforced Deflectors is also potentially very good, but only applies to the Lambda and the Ghost atm and is definitely best on the Ghost.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

VCX-100 seems to be full of good cards. Mine's apparently going to be here tomorrow!

Can you post a picture of the actual ship when you get it? I'm curious how the model looks in real life.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeinPanzer posted:

Can you post a picture of the actual ship when you get it? I'm curious how the model looks in real life.

Sure. No promises on the quality of my phone but I'll open it up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Where'd you order from?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm trying to use alternative models for playing xwing but I don't think my table is large enough, any tips?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Those are almost as big as the ghost model!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tekopo posted:

I'm trying to use alternative models for playing xwing but I don't think my table is large enough, any tips?

Seems obvious: buy a bigger table.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From where? I thought every seller was locked to a March 17 street date

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Get a bigger table.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chemmy posted:

Where'd you order from?

Amazon.com apparently gives no fucks.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Amazon is big enough to give no fucks because what are you gonna do, not sell on amazon?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Mentioning this because I saw someone else mention a similar issue in an earlier post.

Last month the peg of one of my TF broke off on the plastic connector holding it to the base. I took a picture of the broken TF along with the peg and sent it into FFG customer service with an explanation of what happened. Today I finally received a response that they were sending a replacement free-of-cost and no questions asked. Pretty awesome customer service. In hindsight, the picture didn't even include the proof of purchase. It was one of the Ties that came with imperial assault ship, so I certainly wasn't going to replace that. Also, enjoying all the lists and advice you all share while I lurk away in this thread.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bruxism posted:

Mentioning this because I saw someone else mention a similar issue in an earlier post.

Last month the peg of one of my TF broke off on the plastic connector holding it to the base. I took a picture of the broken TF along with the peg and sent it into FFG customer service with an explanation of what happened. Today I finally received a response that they were sending a replacement free-of-cost and no questions asked. Pretty awesome customer service. In hindsight, the picture didn't even include the proof of purchase. It was one of the Ties that came with imperial assault ship, so I certainly wasn't going to replace that. Also, enjoying all the lists and advice you all share while I lurk away in this thread.

I didn't even send them a picture. I told them I got a Rebel Aces box, couldn't find the plastic rivets, acknowledged that I might have lost them, and they sent me a pair of replacements no questions asked. Awesome service.

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bruxism posted:

The very first time I ordered anything for this game was from Amazon and it was an A-wing. It came without one of the engines/fins on the back so I sent a picture (no proof of purchase) and 2 weeks later they shot me back the same email saying a replacement was on the way. A couple of days later I get a box, bigger than the box the last pair of boots I bought came in, filled with packing peanuts, and the A-wing model in a ziploc bag hidden in it. Took me a couple of minutes to find it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
My FFG customer service story is from a few years back. My dog literally took a piss on one of the homeworld systems for my Twilight Imperium expansion. I emailed FFG about it (inlcuding honest description of what happened) and they mailed me a replacement piece. Not sure if they still do that for their board game stuff, as I had heard they weren't, but obviously they are doing it for x-wing. Very cool.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I just submitted a request for replacement (one of my models came broken) and it sent me through Asmodee's web site. Hope they're going to still be as cool about replacement now that Asmodee owns them :ohdear:

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ranbo das posted:

I just submitted a request for replacement (one of my models came broken) and it sent me through Asmodee's web site. Hope they're going to still be as cool about replacement now that Asmodee owns them :ohdear:

My thing just happened like 3 weeks ago, you'll get taken care of.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I ran this today for a day of casual fun (there were other lists, most of which were unsuccessful due to me trying once again to make E-Wings usable).

quote:

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
C-3PO (3)

Esege Tuketu (28)
Recon Specialist (3)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Warden Squadron Pilot (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)

I don't think it's going to win any competitions, but it was actually really fun to fly. I think I'll probably use it a few times going forward for casual games.

Miranda was Miranda, doing shield regen/spending shenanigans with TLT.
Esege tried to stay out of Arc, and provide Focus for the other 2. Thanks to his dual focus tokens, the other 2 were free to Target Lock most rounds.
Warden with Ion was actually MVP. Ion really messed with my opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Still think T-65s can be legit.

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)