Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
pages upon pages of raw milk to die on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

you sure as hell can taste the biproducts of them you dumbshit

Nah.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
While having someone on my ignore list quoted this many times is annoying, it pleases me greatly to know that he has been placed on several more.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Wookums posted:

you sure as hell can taste the biproducts of them you dumbshit

Just downing a big old glass of bacteria poo poo here.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unormal posted:

It needs to be legislated because of people like you.

what about me indicates that raw milk needs to be banned from sale? i wouldn't drink the stuff, i'm just pointing out a patchy and uneven application of the law which can be changed without people being automatically classified as dangerous hippies. and people are disagreeing with me and calling me dumb for challenging this assumption

not everyone who disagrees with you personally on a topic does so out of ignorance or stupidity. there's a big level of huffy nerd arrogance to presume that your preferences are automatically superior to other people's. so what if someone wants to get sick drinking raw milk, there are tons of things people are allowed to do in terms of risky food production from sushi to grilling to home brewing but for some reason milk is a special taboo food that extra double poisons you or something

west virgina implemented a new law, some lawmakers got sick drinking raw milk, that's funny but it doesn't make them stupid or anyone who sneers at them morally superior

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know about you, but I personally can't enjoy a meal without the great taste of botulinum.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Asimo posted:

I don't know about you, but I personally can't enjoy a meal without the great taste of botulinum.

same. that's why I self can

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Can't wait until tomorrow's derail when PTD challenges the assumption that the earth is round.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The taste difference in raw milk is due to it not being homogenized, by the way.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so what if someone wants to get sick drinking raw milk, there are tons of things people are allowed to do in terms of risky food production from sushi to grilling to home brewing but for some reason milk is a special taboo food that extra double poisons you or something

MacheteZombie had posted the actual incidence rates of outbreaks from raw milk a couple times now. It actually IS more dangerous than other risky foods

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

what about me indicates that raw milk needs to be banned from sale? i wouldn't drink the stuff, i'm just pointing out a patchy and uneven application of the law which can be changed without people being automatically classified as dangerous hippies. and people are disagreeing with me and calling me dumb for challenging this assumption

not everyone who disagrees with you personally on a topic does so out of ignorance or stupidity. there's a big level of huffy nerd arrogance to presume that your preferences are automatically superior to other people's. so what if someone wants to get sick drinking raw milk, there are tons of things people are allowed to do in terms of risky food production from sushi to grilling to home brewing but for some reason milk is a special taboo food that extra double poisons you or something

west virgina implemented a new law, some lawmakers got sick drinking raw milk, that's funny but it doesn't make them stupid or anyone who sneers at them morally superior

You're not arguing in good faith.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

MacheteZombie had posted the actual incidence rates of outbreaks from raw milk a couple times now. It actually IS more dangerous than other risky foods

even if this is so, what's the threshold for dangerous? you can only kill X americans per year? *cough*tobacco*cough*

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

even if this is so, what's the threshold for dangerous? you can only kill X americans per year? *cough*tobacco*cough*

Tobacco doesn't carry infectious diseases

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

stinkles1112 posted:

It is also highly regulated.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lactic and acetoc acids are produced by bacteria that you happen to kill with pasteurization. You can taste and smell those acids in other applications, e.g. bread. Yeasts also fall in the same vein as they're naturally occiring everywhere, even in milk. How is this debatable? Raw milk doesn't even need cultures or acids added to produce cheese.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yeah let's get right on that after we ban tobacco, alcohol, raw fish, and cars that go more than 70 mph

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

no, but it's dangrous as hell

the point i'm getting at here is that there's nothing special about raw milk in terms of the risk factor that warrants specific legislation, it's a historical artifact of a pre-refrigeration era and it's not indicative of mental defectiveness to update laws as time passes

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Ya, it really is bullshit that a huge subsection of smokers are children who has little or no control over the tobacco products they use cause they are at the whim of their parents' shopping habits. And the goddamned schools just handing out cigarettes to kids. It's crazy.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Wookums posted:

lactic and acetoc acids are produced by bacteria that you happen to kill with pasteurization. You can taste and smell those acids in other applications, e.g. bread. Yeasts also fall in the same vein as they're naturally occiring everywhere, even in milk. How is this debatable? Raw milk doesn't even need cultures or acids added to produce cheese.

:ssh: He was trolling.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Secondly, different people in different areas have determined what they feel is the threshold for dangerous, and have acted upon it accordingly by passing laws and regulations. This would be that "patchwork of inconsistent laws" you referred to and is actually exactly how the law supposed to work!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

alpha_destroy posted:

Ya, it really is bullshit that a huge subsection of smokers are children who has little or no control over the tobacco products they use cause they are at the whim of their parents' shopping habits.

i know you mean this iroically but secondhand smoke

stinkles1112 posted:

Secondly, different people in different areas have determined what they feel is the threshold for dangerous, and have acted upon it accordingly by passing laws and regulations. This would be that "patchwork of inconsistent laws" you referred to and is actually exactly how the law supposed to work!

do you think this is something i disagree with, i'm saying how it's not dumb for a state to pass a law that people get internet upset about

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

no, but it's dangrous as hell

the point i'm getting at here is that there's nothing special about raw milk in terms of the risk factor that warrants specific legislation, it's a historical artifact of a pre-refrigeration era and it's not indicative of mental defectiveness to update laws as time passes

Yeah I understand that and the point that there's nothing special about raw milk is not correct. It actually is more dangerous.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mdemone posted:

The taste difference in raw milk is due to it not being homogenized, by the way.
that's texture as milk is constantly creaming if non homogenized

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

alpha_destroy posted:

Ya, it really is bullshit that a huge subsection of smokers are children who has little or no control over the tobacco products they use cause they are at the whim of their parents' shopping habits. And the goddamned schools just handing out cigarettes to kids. It's crazy.

Also, you know, we did ban the way tobacco gets into children, secondhand smoke. And none of these laws prevent Perpetually Thickheaded Dumbass from getting a cow and producing his own raw milk for personal consumption, just like there aren't any laws preventing people from smoking around kids in their own homes. Our society still affords us so many wonderful ways to hurt children. Don't ever be afraid you'll lose that, PTD.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

i know you mean this iroically but secondhand smoke

Exists? Yes. And one of the public health coups of the last few decades has been the proliferation of smoking bans in restaurants. But the gently caress does any of this have to do with milk haha.

PTD, you have made my day today.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Holy poo poo will you people stop arguing about raw loving milk?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

beats talking about trump or hillary or bernie

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Mad Hamish posted:

Holy poo poo will you people stop arguing about raw loving milk?

It's an interesting and apparently contentious topic that is relevant to US politics. It's fine.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah I understand that and the point that there's nothing special about raw milk is not correct. It actually is more dangerous.

i'm not sure how you could actually prove this but if it's your sincere belief i won't question it

this article says it's a tossup between leafy vegetables, dairy, and poultry by which i assume they mean chicken meat

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/19/3/pdfs/11-1866.pdf

raw milk is singled out but the study states they can't differentiate raw from pasteurized milk so it's hard to say how bad raw milk is specifically

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

i'm not sure how you could actually prove this but if it's your sincere belief i won't question it

this article says it's a tossup between leafy vegetables, dairy, and poultry by which i assume they mean chicken meat

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/19/3/pdfs/11-1866.pdf

raw milk is singled out but the study states they can't differentiate raw from pasteurized milk so it's hard to say how bad raw milk is specifically

Lemming posted:

http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/nonpasteurized-outbreaks.html

What I feel are some of the more relevant facts:

Less than 1% of milk consumed is raw and it accounts for 60% of outbreaks, including 3 deaths from 1993-2006.

The outbreaks were also 13 times more likely to require hospitalization.

60% of the people who were sickened by a raw milk outbreak were under 20, compared to 23% for pasteurized milk.

In conclusion, it's dangerous, pointless, stupid, and every state should ban it.

Edit: Note that here the outbreaks it's talking about are specifically dairy related.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Every morning I wake up and open palm squeeze some milk out of Bessie's teats.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So how long will presidential candidates continue to have to suck up to farmers, considering they only make 2% of the population and that number's shrinking? The most common job in the country is retail worker, can that become the official job of Real America instead?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yes it does. The only thing funnier would be their idiocy getting them shot dead while a drone films it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

So how long will presidential candidates continue to have to suck up to farmers, considering they only make 2% of the population and that number's shrinking? The most common job in the country is retail worker, can that become the official job of Real America instead?
Just like the Iowa caucuses being super important, that's not changing any time soon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bet whoever posted that original article feels like a real rear end in a top hat

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Quite a long time, since they tend to be excessively important in certain states.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just like the Iowa caucuses being super important, that's not changing any time soon

Not totally true, the fast food worker $15 an hour minimum wage issue was a thing earlier in the Democratic primary.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Retail makes you hate people, the contentious debates would move to "Should we have televised executions twice daily?" and "Can I open carry in my store and is it defending my castle if they insisted on a refund with no receipt?"

I kid, mostly.

fe: National "count stock day" added as federal holiday in mid September.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Because those are only jobs for "teenagers to have after school" or folks who were "too lazy to upgrade their skills/pay their dues/are poor people" and thus deserve scorn.

Epic High Five posted:

Bet whoever posted that original article feels like a real rear end in a top hat

Yes, having a debate over US laws and policy in the US POL thread of all places makes no loving sense. Sorry if issues of public health aren't specifically interesting to you, but if you don't like it, post about something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What I have learned today is 100 years from now tobacco will be hailed to cure all sorta of illness.

Execute all retards let humanity move forward

• Locked thread