Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'll take the 598.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

My $160 "very good" looked brand new. Cable, box, everything in-tact. They sound great, especially connected to my Schiit. I pulled the earpads off and saw the little dots where glue went. That's what all the spergy hubub was about? Ok. Cool by me, the X2's are incredible. Thanks for the deal angry head-fi returner guy!

some of their reviews are pretty hilarious

quote:

In my pictures, the one on the right IS MINE. The one on the left is my brother's. This includes the packaging. You can tell that the place of import is different.

Notice anything EXTREMELY noticeable?

Mine has a darker, plusher, more velour-y earpad. My brother's does not. The both seem to be made of memory foam though.

You probably can't notice this in the pictures, but the steel on mine is yellower, and his is whiter.

The font on mine is also yellower, and his font is whiter. the font matches the steel for both headphones.

The leather on mine is less shiny than his. The font and leather differences however do not concern me.

And there is a small metal piece around the perimeter of the earcup, mine doesn't seem to be as flush as his. I can only hope it doesn't separate after a period of time.

These products are clearly made in different places. His headphones actually look better than mine, but my earpads look better than his.

Sound quality wise, they are identical. However, these are THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR headphones. The difference in manufacturing is completely unacceptable.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Are there any non-in ear buds that are worth buying around a hundred? I can't stand in ears and these will be my work headphones, meaning listening with one ear in sometimes.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ninkobei posted:

some of their reviews are pretty hilarious

Audiophile people can be some of the worst consumers around, no doubt.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'll take the 598.

Cool I'll PM you tonight after I get off work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Taima posted:

Cool I'll PM you tonight after I get off work.
Good, thanks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

hotsauce posted:

My $160 "very good" looked brand new. Cable, box, everything in-tact. They sound great, especially connected to my Schiit. I pulled the earpads off and saw the little dots where glue went. That's what all the spergy hubub was about? Ok. Cool by me, the X2's are incredible. Thanks for the deal angry head-fi returner guy!

Seconding this. Just sat in the parking lot for an hour listening to music on my "very-good" returned X2's.
10' cable and all. gently caress the haters, it was amazing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good all-around PC headset for a fat-headed Goon? I liked my Plantronics, but they snapped above the ear like most do for me. I have an idea of what sets sound good, but I'm tired of tight, uncomfortable ones that snap after about six months.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2016

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Taima posted:

I can send them 3 day shipping if you want to receive them before you move.

I'm not sure if I want to hold onto them until the 20th or later, but if you want to pay in advance for sending at that time, that would be fine.

I get paid Thursday. If you don't mind waiting until then I can paypal it or whatever and get you the address once I'm on the road and will be there within a few days. I don't mind you shipping them a bit after I pay.

Edit: I guess it's a moot point now. Thanks anyway!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Plan Z posted:

Can anyone recommend a good all-around PC headset for a fat-headed Goon? I liked my Plantronics, but they snapped above the ear like most do for me. I have an idea of what sets sound good, but I'm tired of tight, uncomfortable ones that snap after about six months.

HyperX Cloud IIs have aluminum frames from the headband to the earphones so they're way less likely to snap. If you're not looking specifically for a headset and want to do a combo route of regular headphones and an attachable mic (modmic), HA-RX700s are very sturdy and the pads will wear out before the headset itself breaks.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Does anyone have recommendations for headphones that are relatively sweat-proof/good for workouts, sound relatively good, and are $50-$70 max? Please no Skullcandy. I would prefer they be wireless but if that's unrealistic in my price point I understand.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright how are the molded IEMs?

Headphones are getting too annoying for me but I can't stand most IEMs are they are uncomfortable as gently caress. Do the molded ones make a noticable difference?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Be careful, I do NOT recommend ever purchasing Good quality warehouse items. Very good or better. Especially for the X2s because it seems that many of the Good Quality items have missing/damaged earpads, which suggests that people tried to pull the pads off to see if there was glue, ruined the pad, then returned it... scary...

Especially because the item is already an extremely good deal, and you're saving, what, $8 or something?

hotsauce posted:

$151 + 5.49 for the mediabridge 8ft to replace the missing Philips cable. Your move, "very good" buyers.:smug:
I'm going to go buy some fries with the money I saved

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Alright how are the molded IEMs?

Headphones are getting too annoying for me but I can't stand most IEMs are they are uncomfortable as gently caress. Do the molded ones make a noticable difference?

If you wanna give them a cheap try before you commit, you can give the decibullz a whirl.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have custom sleeves for my Etymotics and they're way more comfortable than any other IEM I've used. Whether it's comfortable enough for a given person is super down to that individual though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
What are the best ~$100 earbuds that have iPhone capable controls? As that would suggest, these are primarily for my iPhone. I have spent a lot of time looking at etymotic/shure stuff but not really sure what to think. I currently have a pair of Klipsch S4i's that I like, but this is my second pair and the durability is simply not there for me to get a 3rd. I am not a fan of too much bass, that is pretty much my main thing when looking at headphones. Any suggestions?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

unlawfulsoup posted:

What are the best ~$100 earbuds that have iPhone capable controls? As that would suggest, these are primarily for my iPhone. I have spent a lot of time looking at etymotic/shure stuff but not really sure what to think. I currently have a pair of Klipsch S4i's that I like, but this is my second pair and the durability is simply not there for me to get a 3rd. I am not a fan of too much bass, that is pretty much my main thing when looking at headphones. Any suggestions?

Do you care a lot about sound quality for this set? If not, the amazon basis ear buds should work

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

On my search for high audio quality ear vids, I found the headfi ear bud thread. Ended up ordering the shozy cygnus which they're raving about, I'll report back in a few weeks when I get them.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 10, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Google Butt posted:

Do you care a lot about sound quality for this set? If not, the amazon basis ear buds should work

I am not an audiophile but I do want something that sounds pretty good. The Klipsch I had were pretty solid, definitely not audiophile grade but a far cry from everything blurs into itself. Generally I listen to HD280 pros when using big headphones so I kind of use those as a reference.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I'm looking for a set of headphones that I can use while commuting. Basically I need a bear of over ear headphones that swivel / DJ style so they're mostly flat so I can toss them into my bag if I need to.

Requirements -

* Nothing in ear, my ENT says that I'm getting earaches and infections due to my use of earbuds / earpods / whatever.
* Folding / Swiveling - I'm looking for cups that swivel for flat storage in a backpack. Something like the ATH M50x for example
* Detachable cable - my Senhessier 518s have a detachable cable I love it. I live and work in an Apple-centric environment and the cable with buttons makes life fairly easy for me to start / stop media. I can get apple cables for most jack sizes.
* Comfortable - the 518s I can wear all day long, for me headband cushioning is a priority. Across the crown of my head I get a nasty headache from wearing anything for very long.

What I've tried:
For a while I was all aboard the Blue tooth train but found them too heavy.
Samsung Level Over - too heavy
Sony 950BT - heavy, I liked the bass boost option, but never really used it the week I had it
Then I went wired:
Monoprice 8323 / 108323 - comfort sucks, I've added batter pads, a different cushion on the head band. I hate it after about 30 min.
ATH M50x - I like these but the headband ugh. pads are too shallow and my ears hit the drivers.
Senhessier 518 - I *L*O*V*E* these headphones, Ive had them for a year or so and they are something I can wear all day long, too bad they don't swivel / fold.

What I listen to (in order):
* Podcasts / Audiobooks
* Hip Hop / Rap
* Soca
* Alternative

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Looking to upgrade from a cheapish headset I use on a computer for spotify, games, and netflix (pretty much in that order). Hard part is being in a country where decent headphones are silly expensive due to taxes/exchange rate, or just plain unavailable. Inexpensive/entry level audiophile-lite would be a description of what I'm going for.

Decided to make an upgrade after hearing the difference between the headset (a Plantronics Gamecom 380) and a Sennheiser HD 202 I bought for use elsewhere. I did consider just using the 202 but it doesn't feel very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, which is a factor I'm taking in account since it's something I'll use for a couple hours per day on a regular basis. Having a look around for my options, these were what I could pick up for a price I'd still be willing to pay (feel free to suggest more possibilities but I might not be able to get them for a price I'd be willing to pay):

1) Sennheiser HD 280 ('d love a 598 or above but that becomes way out of my possible price range, unfortunately - I would have to pay almost twice the price of a HD 280 for a 598)
2) Akg K-240 Mk II
3) Audio Technica ATH-AD700X (I understand these are a step up from the others? Only among the options because I might be able to import a pair for a reasonable price, but it'll be more hassle/ more expensive than the others)
4) Philips Fidelio M1 (listing the option more for the sake of completeness, as I've seen a few bad reviews? not familiar with it at any rate)

I'm leaning towards the Akg K-240 Mk II because it has the best price for me for what looks like a decent pair of headphones, is the ATH-AD700X significantly better to warrant the extra hassle/expense? How do the other options compare?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I owned the AD700 for years and they have been beaten and thrown around and still manage to be my favorite headphones. I could wear them all day. Audiotechnica also has really good support. I was able to get replacement head-rest things for $12 shipped, and now they feel like new again. I guess they are light on bass but honestly I'm not sure if I even like bass that much, so ymmv.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I've been looking for something that I'm beginning to think is a unicorn. Do headphones exist with the following requirements?

1. Wireless
2. Attached microphone (preferably directional)
3. Over the ear, not earbuds
4. Open-ear headphones (need to be able to hear my twins)

I've found some Bluetooth headsets that look like they are meant for running or something, but they don't have directional mics and are more on the ear than over the ear.

I've found a lot of gaming headsets that are wireless over the ear with a microphone (like the Logitech G930, et al), but they are closed ear since they are for gaming. Yeah, I want to game, but I need the open ear (otherwise I have to cock one up the side of my head). I did find a Seinhauser that looked like it was a headset for work with just one speaker, but that feels like giving up the search. Has anyone heard of something like this?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Still in the process of looking for a good headset / headphone without completely breaking the bank. Right now, I'm looking at the Kingston HyperX Cloud Core for 65, the Logitech G230 for 67, Logitech G430 for 70 or Turtle Beach Z11 for 70. Does anyone have any experience with these headsets, and how they relate in terms of Comfort/Audio Quality/Mic Quality/How much noise the noise it suppresses?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Knowlue posted:

Still in the process of looking for a good headset / headphone without completely breaking the bank. Right now, I'm looking at the Kingston HyperX Cloud Core for 65, the Logitech G230 for 67, Logitech G430 for 70 or Turtle Beach Z11 for 70. Does anyone have any experience with these headsets, and how they relate in terms of Comfort/Audio Quality/Mic Quality/How much noise the noise it suppresses?

SHP9500 are $76 Amazon Prime right now.
Get them and then figure out a mic... maybe ModMic?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unfortunately not so for Amazon.ca :/ In any case I already own a pair of ATH m-50. ModMic would cost about 60

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I was going to purchase some beats wireless powerbeats2 for running/lifting but based on OP that wouldn't be a wise decision. Any good recommendations for that type of use? Up to $150 looking for lightweight, sweat resistant, good bass and something that will stay in my ears.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I want Bluetooth in-ears for the gym.

Currently looking at JBL reflect Minis, but my friend said they are lacking in the bass department. Balanced, but no oomph.

Ideally i would like something that is balanced but punchy bass.

they will also get used as regular headphones, but primarily as gym headphones.

any suggestions?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So I posted this in the A/T stupid/small questions thread despite having this one bookmarked, my bad. I imagine you folks might be able to give some advice?

ineptmule posted:

I have a pair of low-end Sennheiser headphones (HD 419) which I've been carting around in my commuting bag for around a year. They have developed a fault which is as far as I can tell located in the jack plug, as wiggling it around and holding the cable at the reinforced bendy join at a certain angle seems to make the sound come through clearly.

It looks like replacing the plug is fairly straightforward, so no issues there. However, I'm looking to replace the jack with a slim profile plug, as the port on my phone case is only a little wider than the socket on the phone, so a standard sized plug wont fit. For obvious reasons I expect these slim jack plug housings to be less user friendly for a DIY repair job.

So my question is, will it work if I put a female 3.5mm connector on the end of the headphone cable, so that I can plug a ready made slim male-male connector in to bridge the gap? I'm assuming it would be just fine, I just don't want to waste my time and a couple of inches of cable fiddling with the wrong type of connector.

Edit: I just realised I should probably ask this in the headphones thread. Apologies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Knowlue posted:

Unfortunately not so for Amazon.ca :/ In any case I already own a pair of ATH m-50. ModMic would cost about 60

You're not going to find gaming headsets that sound any better than your m50's.

Just spend the $5 and do this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570257/cheap-diy-alternative-to-antlion-modmic

or this:
http://imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

9500s are $60 right now on Ebay thru Newegg, free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHP9500-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black/381133854860?hash=item58bd59188c&_trkparms=5374%3AFeatured%7C5373%3A0

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 15, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

ineptmule posted:

So I posted this in the A/T stupid/small questions thread despite having this one bookmarked, my bad. I imagine you folks might be able to give some advice?

It'll work but that's kind of a weird way of going about it. I suggest just replacing your headphone cable with a nice Neutrik 3.5mm plug. Then, if needed, use a slim female to male 3.5mm adapter for your phone. This way you can plug your headphones in to other sources without being all goofy.

Another thing I want to mention is that replacing the plugs are sometimes not as easy as it looks. I find that a lot of the default headphone cables have super weird coatings on their wires that prevents solder from sticking to them. I tried cutting the cable of my M50's to make it shorter once, and after stripping the cable, the coating they had on the strands wouldn't burn off even under a blue flame. Sometimes replacing the entire cable may be easier, so keep that in mind.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My roommate's bunny ate through the cable on my HD 650's. Would this be a decent enough replacement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

My roommate's bunny ate through the cable on my HD 650's. Would this be a decent enough replacement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022

Probably

d6r9b
May 5, 2003
My 595s finally died after over 6 years of use. I really liked them. Should i just get the 598s or is there something that is better now?

My budget is $300-350 but I'd rather not spend that much if its only a slight upgrade to the 598s.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What is the go-to wireless sports headphone at this point? I looked at this stuff a couple of years back and I'm hoping to go wireless this time if the market for wireless headphones has come far enough.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Used for music while at the gym and working outside

-Gotta be able to sweat in them

-Battery life and ease of charging are important. Sometimes my Saturdays are an hour at the gym, followed by 5 - 8 hours of working outside.

-This is to replace some old Bose IE2 buds that are showing some major signs of wear

-The only thing I dislike about the Bose buds is the wire. I had a lot of trouble with it getting caught on things while doing yardwork. I'm really leaning more towards wireless. If you guys tell me that wireless is still meh then I'm open to corded again.

Maybe keep this in the $100 range. $150 would be pushing it unless they come with a really solid warranty.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

d6r9b posted:

My 595s finally died after over 6 years of use. I really liked them. Should i just get the 598s or is there something that is better now?

My budget is $300-350 but I'd rather not spend that much if its only a slight upgrade to the 598s.

I paid $90 for my HD598se.
I'm sure if you hold out you can find a similar deal.

I have yet to find something in your range that's more comfy than the 598's.
The Fidelio X2's are better in terms of sound quality, and more fun to listen to, but I can't wear them as long as the 598's for 2 reasons; listening fatigue and comfort.

The 598's sound better at lower volumes, and are easy to wear all day.

For $300 you could probably find a pair of used HD600/650.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Need a headphone recomendation please.

Budget - $100-200, would like to stay as close as possible to the $100 

Source - mainly my two laptops. work laptop dell e7440, and my gaming laptop Sager NP9778-S with built in headphone amp. Maybe my nexus 6p once in a while or random tablet.

Isolation Requirements - not really. Maybe at work but not 100 sure about that. Mostly listen to music at work where I do like it loud. At home is gaming and i dont care bout disturbing people.

Preferred Type of Headphone - I wear glasses so I am thinking the kind that fully cover my ear as the on ear tend to press against the glasses arm. And that starts to hurt. No in ear or buds at all. In ear/buds irritate my ears. So fully over ear, or goodon ear that wont press my ear into my glasses arm

Preferred Tonal Balance - I want good bass as I play bass heavy games but at the same time I listen to a ton of music with a big variety of tonal range. So clear and solid sound would be the best description I can come up with

Past Headphones - logitech G960 wireless. Loved the wireless had pretty descent sound except the bass. Bass was really muddy. Didnt fit 100% over ear so pressed ear lobe into glasses arm.

Preferred Music - industrial, metal, 80's pop, 80's rock, 90' everything, classic rock, dance, trance, rnb... I am very eclectic. Video game sounds, shooters, space sims, mmo's.

Mic is optional. Would be nice but i can use a seperate piece if needed.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 17, 2016

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\ Check out the Audio Technica ATH-M50x if you're okay without a remote, the V-Moda Crossfade LP-2 if you need one (and want something that will not ever die)

Ehud posted:

What is the go-to wireless sports headphone at this point? I looked at this stuff a couple of years back and I'm hoping to go wireless this time if the market for wireless headphones has come far enough.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Used for music while at the gym and working outside

-Gotta be able to sweat in them

-Battery life and ease of charging are important. Sometimes my Saturdays are an hour at the gym, followed by 5 - 8 hours of working outside.

-This is to replace some old Bose IE2 buds that are showing some major signs of wear

-The only thing I dislike about the Bose buds is the wire. I had a lot of trouble with it getting caught on things while doing yardwork. I'm really leaning more towards wireless. If you guys tell me that wireless is still meh then I'm open to corded again.

Maybe keep this in the $100 range. $150 would be pushing it unless they come with a really solid warranty.

Wireless is still pretty meh, but it's made good strides. You using an iPhone or Samsung?

Here's a few options you might like—feel free to completely ignore if nothing screams "buy me!" to you.

The stretch: Decibullz Wireless $150

Pros:
—custom mold in-ears you do at home
—sound is okay; it's BT after all
—wire connecting the buds hangs behind your neck, tough for it to get caught on poo poo
—battery charges using a normal microUSB
—comes with a case to port around
—was designed by a Wes Welker clone specifically for gym use—sweat included

Cons:
—not some audiophile darling
—the molding process is like doing the mouthguards you did as a kid. If you don't get it right it can be annoying to fix (use a hairdryer for this)
—dubious warranty

The Sure Things: JLab Epic Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sports Earbuds $99
MEElectronics X7 mk II$99.99

Notes: generally follow the ISO226:2003 note emphasis—meaning bassy music, some downplayed mids, and cymbals/other sibilant sounds get emphasized. Basically, every sound you'd get in a :rimshot: gets a volume bump.

JLab Pros:
—perfectly normal, standard in-ears, but bluetooth
—IPX4 rating means sweat-proof, can handle a splash
—A remote

Cons:
—BT audio is eh
—"Limited lifetime" warranty, whatever that means
—reports of discomfort/annoying fit

MEElectronics Pros:
—a good company for inexpensive gems
—can reportedly handle sweat
—uses the aptx and AAC codecs for bluetooth, so they'll have the best audio of all the BT in-ears here no matter if you have an iPhone or Android phone
—Remote

Cons:
—1-yr warranty
—the memory-wire ear loop can be a little annoying

The Bargain: Huaham International Version Bluetooth 4.1 Sweat Proof Sports Noise Reduction NFC Earphone $39.98

Notes: colleagues at the Wirecutter wanted to like this one, but it's got its issues.

Pros:
—affordable
—build quality is good
—NFC

Cons:
—Audio worst of the three
—some people have trouble with the fit (this can be solved with the right Comply tips
—water tends to get into the charging port, but this isn't an issue if you're observant.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 17, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Using an iPhone.

Thanks for those suggestions. If I were to go another wired pair, what would you recommend? I'm not sure how much audio quality I'm willing to sacrifice after a couple of years with the IE's :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ehud posted:

Using an iPhone.

Thanks for those suggestions. If I were to go another wired pair, what would you recommend? I'm not sure how much audio quality I'm willing to sacrifice after a couple of years with the IE's :smith:

fwiw the MEElectronics using the AAC codec will be head and shoulders ahead of other BT offerings because it can reliably hit that magic 320kbps bitrate where the vast majority of humans can't tell the difference between higher quality music or not. If any wireless in-ears could sound great, these dudes have the right tools—on paper anyway. BT audio has come a long way within the SBC codecs, but the gold standards are aptx and AAC. You most likely won't notice the difference!

...probably

Let me get back to you on the wired ones—there's a lot to sift through! I send people to Shure and V-Moda a lot because of a few durability features, but I might be able to dig up a good deal on some.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 17, 2016