Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Holy poo poo, One Breath is amazing. The mytharc had so much loving potential. Also, I love Skinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The part of that I love the most is that Scully meets a loving angel ghost in the hospital and believes in it and Mulder just blows her off because religious poo poo is the one supernatural thing that bores him.

When the gently caress else has Scully ever been on board with something like that, Mulder? And then she just goes off on him about how she indulges all his alien poo poo even though it's stupid but he won't even let her finish telling him about her thing.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Nail Rat posted:

Episode 5 was not good, it was history's greatest monster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

The part of that I love the most is that Scully meets a loving angel ghost in the hospital and believes in it and Mulder just blows her off because religious poo poo is the one supernatural thing that bores him.

When the gently caress else has Scully ever been on board with something like that, Mulder? And then she just goes off on him about how she indulges all his alien poo poo even though it's stupid but he won't even let her finish telling him about her thing.

She doesn't tell Mulder about the angel in that episode. The only one she even mentions it to is one of the nurses and that nurse just tells her there is no nurse Owens and Scully is like woah. I wouldn't say Mulder is bored by religious poo poo either. He just has a lot of contempt for it because he wants his sister back and it never happens so it's hard for him to believe in miracles.

There are plenty of episodes where Scully sees some religious thing and Mulder refuses to believe it, though. It's a nice change of pace from Scully doubts but Mulder's insane theory is right.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I noticed The Amazing Maleeni from season 7 was one of the very few times they've ever had something that wasn't paranormal at all, and that Scully's explanation was entirely right. Unless they were trying to say his apprentice actually was practicing real magic, but I don't think they were going in that direction. It was an interesting episode, but the lack of anything substantially paranormal made it feel oddly out of place, like a standard crime procedural with a lot of misdirection. I don't recall them doing that before, unless you count Triangle being Mulder's dream or maybe Irresistible being a death fetishist (who is probably not also a demon).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sticklefifer posted:

I noticed The Amazing Maleeni from season 7 was one of the very few times they've ever had something that wasn't paranormal at all, and that Scully's explanation was entirely right. Unless they were trying to say his apprentice actually was practicing real magic, but I don't think they were going in that direction. It was an interesting episode, but the lack of anything substantially paranormal made it feel oddly out of place, like a standard crime procedural with a lot of misdirection. I don't recall them doing that before, unless you count Triangle being Mulder's dream or maybe Irresistible being a death fetishist (who is probably not also a demon).

I just re-watched Hell Money because I literally could not remember a thing about it and it also didn't have anything paranormal, just like a particularly gruesome procedural.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hell Money has that ghost/spirit element to it though.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I thought that was just the thugs from the gambling/organ smuggling ring using the community's superstition to keep them from giving up the game, unless there was a spirit thing that I missed.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

sticklefifer posted:

Hell Money has that ghost/spirit element to it though.

The inscrutable Chinese aka Celestials are the paranormal part.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mange Mite posted:

The inscrutable Chinese aka Celestials are the paranormal part.

Well that and the sorcerer Lo Pan.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have very vague memories of seeing old X-Files. In particular the one where very phallic(I'm not the only one who thinks this, right?) killer mushrooms explode out of people's throats. Were there any standout episodes after T-1000 replaces Mulder?

Semi-related, have there been any decent X-Files-ish supernatural procedural shows since the original? I know of a few like Warehouse 13, Fringe, etc., none of which seemed to get any real acclaim.

A final even less related questions - Is my memory wrong, or did Millennium have some really good bits? I vaguely recall it having a more compelling sort of 'mythos' than the X-Files, plus a darker and more gory look that was Twin Peaks-y without the comic bits. Is it worth rewatching or am I blinded by nostalgia?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
First season of sleepy hollow was pretty good if you can get into over the top crazy town, but it goes to poo poo season 2 sadly

Gravity Falls if you are ok with watching shows for children. Its a really good show for children though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's been a while, so I don't know how well it holds up, but there's Ultraviolet if you want to watch Idris Elba killing vampires in London before vampires and urban fantasy blew up.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Supernatural - it even shared a lot of the same production team and a lot of the guest cast, being a Vancouver production.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I am blinded by my love for Lance Henriksen but I still love Millennium s1 and 2. S1 is dark, creepy and depressing but is a standard "killer of the week" show. Just with good atmosphere.
S2 starts going into mythology, with a timer counting down to the Millennium every week, some incredible ghost stories and the best goddamn season/series finale.

That all said, I am blinded by my love of Lance. And I can never forgive s3 for throwing s2 under the bus and trying to get back to s1.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just at the beginning of S2 and it's been great so far (a few weaker episodes excluding), though not much of overarching mythology is clear so far.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked season two, but I was sort of bored with eschatological stories when I watched it, so I wasn't completely blown away. It has the best episode, though ("SAAATAAAAAAN! SAVE ME, SAAAATAAAAN!").

Season one was definitely Criminal Minds 10 years early.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Insect Court posted:

I have very vague memories of seeing old X-Files. In particular the one where very phallic(I'm not the only one who thinks this, right?) killer mushrooms explode out of people's throats. Were there any standout episodes after T-1000 replaces Mulder?

Semi-related, have there been any decent X-Files-ish supernatural procedural shows since the original? I know of a few like Warehouse 13, Fringe, etc., none of which seemed to get any real acclaim.

A final even less related questions - Is my memory wrong, or did Millennium have some really good bits? I vaguely recall it having a more compelling sort of 'mythos' than the X-Files, plus a darker and more gory look that was Twin Peaks-y without the comic bits. Is it worth rewatching or am I blinded by nostalgia?

Check out Fringe. The first season is uneven and the last season is mediocre, but everything in between is really great. You do have to watch it in order though, it's more serialized than the X-Files.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sticklefifer posted:

They have a couple of these which are very very mild on the paranormal. Like there's an episode where a woman is linked to a little girl who gets kidnapped, but otherwise it's a Criminal Minds esque "find the kidnapped girl" plot.

There's another one with cultists on a compound and they use a woman who claims to be inhabited by her past lives to find evidence to shut down the cult. But she doesn't actually end up helping in any way and actually the cult commits mass suicide.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^Yeah, The Field Where I Died is definitely light on it, but I'd still count it as paranormal. What's funny about that episode is that the woman with all the different personalities was Glen Morgan's wife. I think the episode was basically a showcase for her demo reel because she played something like 4 or 5 different characters.

Freaquency posted:

I thought that was just the thugs from the gambling/organ smuggling ring using the community's superstition to keep them from giving up the game, unless there was a spirit thing that I missed.
I'm pretty sure they either appeared out of shadows and/or were able to get into places a human wouldn't have, though I haven't seen it in a while.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Check out Fringe. The first season is uneven and the last season is mediocre, but everything in between is really great. You do have to watch it in order though, it's more serialized than the X-Files.
Yeah, Fringe grew into a really great show, though it admittedly takes a while to get going. Nearly every early episode's plot gets paid off later at some point though. It's very rewarding for long term viewers in that way. Season 1 looks a ton better once you see how often they call back to it later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

^Yeah, The Field Where I Died is definitely light on it, but I'd still count it as paranormal. What's funny about that episode is that the woman with all the different personalities was Glen Morgan's wife. I think the episode was basically a showcase for her demo reel because she played something like 4 or 5 different characters.

She's a recurring character in his season of millennium and one of the stars of his show, Space: Above and Beyond.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Watching the behind the scenes special on Netflix, and it really hammers home how great the HD remaster is. Everything is so much more vibrant now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm watching the new season, on episode 5 now and this is loving terrible. The two or so first episodes were good, but then it got sooooo loving bad, so does it get good again? I'm about ready to give up on this.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Dongattack posted:

I'm watching the new season, on episode 5 now and this is loving terrible. The two or so first episodes were good, but then it got sooooo loving bad, so does it get good again? I'm about ready to give up on this.

It does not get good again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It does not get good again.

It does if you think the first two were good but the next ones weren't :psyduck:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Actually looking back it was just the first episode i enjoyed, and i see they pick that back up only in the final episode. The TWD way, first and last episode with content, and filler inbetween, boooooooo

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

First and last episodes are the worst kind of filler. Filled with terrible tone deaf writing. There was some meat between those buns but mostly the whole season was real poo poo burger.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Soft Shell Crab posted:

First and last episodes are the worst kind of filler. Filled with terrible tone deaf writing. There was some meat between those buns but mostly the whole season was real poo poo burger.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Dongattack posted:

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

All the Chris Carter episodes were bad.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

We found the one person who hated the Darin Morgan episode but loved the turd that was the new mytharc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Chris Carter episodes are filler.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Just finished End Game and, yeah, I wish Skinner was my dad.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Just caught up with the final episode and what the gently caress. Just what the gently caress?

I almost had a bottle of whisky out for every time the phrase "Alien DNA" was used. I reckon I would have been on the floor by the end of it. They just seemed to piss over everything. All over the original series, all over the new one, all over any sort of intelligence or pre-planning or thought process they had for it. Just literally "Hey, is this your favourite show? Well watch closely as we piss all over it."

I think my brain left at some point. I think my brain went "gently caress this poo poo," packed a bag and exited. Whoever wrote this pile of crap needs to be taken out to a wall and shot. It just didn't make sense. Everyone is going to die except anyone who has magical-alien-dna (tm) because CSM wants to depopulate the planet just cause. Then toward the end of the episode it basically throw in as many buzz words as possible. Alien DNA, stem cells, crispr-cas (apparently a relatively new thing according to my girlfriend that is commonly used in day to day science today, but the way it was used in the x-files is entirely wrong).

And then...well...what exactly is the end result? The X Files was never really designed for a sort of end-of-the world scenario series and I can't stand agent youth face and bitch-Einstein (I call her that because her character is extremely annoying and whoever thought that Einstein would be a good name also needs shot).

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

I do hope the Fox executives looked at this and went "Haha, nope" and that'll be the end of it. I don't think I want more X-Files anymore. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea, you know I think one thing this revival showed was how fitting the original ending was. The X-files at its best was about hacking through this jungle of conspiracies to eventually get to something resembling the truth. An episode where Mulder and Scully definitively find out that the aliens are invading, and even the date that the invasion is going to start, kinda has to be the end of the show because its not designed to go past that point. Do we really need/want to see Mulder running around as a resistance fighter ala Falling Skies? At that point its X-files in name only.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If this is just the end of the conspiracy and they go to Bigfoot and ghost episodes only for the next run, I am thrilled.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Bambi Berenbaum is a better and more believable name than Einstein

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm fine with her being named Einstein, her claiming that she was related to Einstein is what made me really roll my eyes.

Unlike most people in this thread, I actually liked her character, but it did feel like she walked in off the set of Warehouse 13 or Fringe or one of those other 2000s X-Files successor shows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chairman Capone posted:

Unlike most people in this thread, I actually liked her character, but it did feel like she walked in off the set of Warehouse 13 or Fringe or one of those other 2000s X-Files successor shows.

She seemed like Scully if the latter actually did her assigned job ("Debunk the X-Files") instead of go along with it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

WMain00 posted:

Just caught up with the final episode and what the gently caress. Just what the gently caress?

I almost had a bottle of whisky out for every time the phrase "Alien DNA" was used. I reckon I would have been on the floor by the end of it. They just seemed to piss over everything. All over the original series, all over the new one, all over any sort of intelligence or pre-planning or thought process they had for it. Just literally "Hey, is this your favourite show? Well watch closely as we piss all over it."

I think my brain left at some point. I think my brain went "gently caress this poo poo," packed a bag and exited. Whoever wrote this pile of crap needs to be taken out to a wall and shot. It just didn't make sense. Everyone is going to die except anyone who has magical-alien-dna (tm) because CSM wants to depopulate the planet just cause. Then toward the end of the episode it basically throw in as many buzz words as possible. Alien DNA, stem cells, crispr-cas (apparently a relatively new thing according to my girlfriend that is commonly used in day to day science today, but the way it was used in the x-files is entirely wrong).

And then...well...what exactly is the end result? The X Files was never really designed for a sort of end-of-the world scenario series and I can't stand agent youth face and bitch-Einstein (I call her that because her character is extremely annoying and whoever thought that Einstein would be a good name also needs shot).

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

I do hope the Fox executives looked at this and went "Haha, nope" and that'll be the end of it. I don't think I want more X-Files anymore. :(

Having started watching the original series again AFTER the recent limited series, a few observations. Having only seen the first few seasons years ago, the 2016 series hit all the right nostalgia notes. Having watched older episodes to compare them too my reaction the new episodes is now considerably less favorable. Now that I really remember just how good this series STARTED, the new mytharc episodes are pretty dreadful. Garbage man and were-monster made it all worth it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Weremonster totally carried the whole season.

• Locked thread