Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Shaggar posted:

yes please flatten and reinstall. that should get rid of all the bit rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
when is night shift out

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Amethyst posted:

mine isn't full. i have 7 GB free. it's very clear what's making it laggy is what every normie on the planet knows: ios updates slow down phones
except that the iphone 5 I hold in my hand running the latest iOS with many apps installed is not slow. have you tried restoring your iPhone?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

when is night shift out

couple weeks prob

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Amethyst posted:

mine isn't full. i have 7 GB free. it's very clear what's making it laggy is what every normie on the planet knows: ios updates slow down phones

i installed win10 on my emachines and now its really slow. m$ broke my computer because they want to sell me new hardware!!!!

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

big retard wrote an op-ed about prosecuting apple for anti-trust lol. see if u can find the flaw in this piece http://thehill.com/opinion/op-ed/272399-time-to-prosecute-apple-for-monopolization

quote:

Twenty years ago, the Federal Trade Commission launched a monopolization investigation of Microsoft that, a few years later after the agency deadlocked, led to a landmark Justice Department antitrust prosecution and settlement. Now the FTC is faced with a radically restructured technology market in which smartphones and tablets—and thus Apple, by far the platform leader in that space with its iPhone, iOS operating system, iPad and App Store—have all but replaced desktop PCs. But despite a nine-month review, the federal competition regulator has done nothing to reign in Apple’s anticompetitive use of the iOS platform, especially Apple’s newest and controversial foray into streaming music services.

The Microsoft case was based on the company’ monopoly power arising from its then-dominant Windows OS platform. Apple’s ubiquitous smartphones and tablets are instead today the critical platform for U.S. consumers to engage in mobile computing and to consume digital media. Apple realizes some 80 percent of all smartphone revenues worldwide, enjoys a huge and by-far leading market share in music downloads, and sells more digital smartphone apps than anyone else worldwide. That’s the stuff of what all antitrust lawyers and courts recognize as monopoly power, particularly since scale, entry barriers and so-called “network effects” reinforce Apple’s platform dominance to prevent new competition.

U.S. antitrust law, of course, condemns exclusionary use of a monopoly. No one questions that Apple obtained its iOS platform monopoly power other than by creating “insanely great” products. What is and should be of antitrust concern is how Apple has used that power in anticompetitive ways, methods which go far beyond even what Microsoft was lambasted for doing to Netscape and other emerging competitors in the now-ancient 1990s.

Take a few examples. Just as it did to Amazon.com when it introduced iBooks in 2010, Apple is now targeting the likes of Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody and iHeartRadio while at the same time introducing its own streaming music service, Apple Music. Apple’s iBooks conduct was judged illegal as price fixing, a verdict upheld on appeal, because it tried (with success) to increase retail prices to consumers for e-books. Not content with taking a whopping 30 percent of all subscription revenues that Pandora and other app developers earn from iOS sales, Apple’s App Store terms actually prevent competitors from allowing users to sign up, inside their own apps, for a lower-priced service directly from themselves—or even informing customers of those cheaper deals!

That’s not an isolated example. Apple uses secret, undocumented interfaces to to give its music service exclusive access to features on iOS like the popular Siri. (Microsoft was forced to open its Windows programming interfaces as part of the 2002 antitrust settlement.) Apple has leveraged its market power by bundling Apple Music into the current iOS version and preventing its removal. (Microsoft was found liable in large part for bundling its Internet Explorer browser into Windows.) And Apple steers iOS users to the new Apple Music service by automatically returning links to songs in their library to its own streaming versions. This last practice is basically indistinguishable from American Express’s policy of precluding merchants accepting their credit cards from recommend­ing other—and lower-priced—options like MasterCard and VISA, for which Amex was found to have violated the Sherman Act in 2013 and required by the courts to rescind.

Even worse, Apple’s close relationship with record labels puts Apple in the driver’s seat, just as with e-books, to “orchestrate a conspiracy among the publishers to raise prices,” as the court of appeals held. The recording industry has consolidated to the point that there are only a small handful of players left. This too happened on the FTC’s watch; while the Clinton Administration’s FTC held a hard line on consolidation (for instance blocking Time Warner/EMI), the Obama FTC has allowed the industry to merge into just three players—the latest being the Commission’s unconditional approval of the Universal/EMI deal. The record labels, and thus Apple, are openly hostile to a mobile free tier, which is a critical marketing funnel for streaming entrants and neces­sary to compete in that fast-growing market. Is Apple now in cahoots with the record labels like it was with book publishers? Seems so, indeed.

Apple gained significant power over the record labels as the most important outlet for legal music downloads. New services such as Pandora, Spotify and the like threaten to undermine Apple’s historic dominance and its now-cozy relationship with the recording industry. These competing music streamers offer cross-platform services that ease switching between iOS and Android, which threatens Apple’s platform monopoly. As part of the e-books decision, the courts ordered Apple to submit to monitoring to ensure compliance with the antitrust laws. Apple refused to provide the court-appointed monitor sufficient access to information necessary to enforce compliance, and has refused all requests for information about Apple Music.

Remarkably, the same executives responsible for Apple’s illegal e-books price-fixing scheme are spearheading the company’s streaming music strategy, including Eddy Cue, head of Apple’s software and Internet services. Cue was quoted saying “If I had it to do all over again, I’d do it again…. I’d just take better notes.” Those are fighting words the FTC should not accept. It is time for the agency finally to conclude its investigation and bring a monopolization case against Apple. The writing is on the wall, all the agency has to do is read it.

Manishin is a Washington, DC antitrust attorney who served as counsel for competitors in both the US v. AT&T and US v. Microsoft monopolization cases.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

big retard wrote an op-ed about prosecuting apple for anti-trust lol. see if u can find the flaw in this piece http://thehill.com/opinion/op-ed/272399-time-to-prosecute-apple-for-monopolization

see if you can spot the flaw in this post

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
vertical monopolies are legal fyi

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

i installed win10 on my emachines and now its really slow. m$ broke my computer because they want to sell me new hardware!!!!

oh ok. i didn't realize microsoft set the standard here. I guess we should expect this lovely behavior for all vendors

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

THC posted:

except that the iphone 5 I hold in my hand running the latest iOS with many apps installed is not slow. have you tried restoring your iPhone?

idgaf what you and every other brain damaged fanboy in this thread says, the iphone 5 is laggy on the latest ios. it isn't because of some poo poo going on with my phone, this is common knowledge amongst everyone who has ever upgraded their phone, android or apple

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
it's common knowledge that ios updates to old phones make the old phones slow, and this has been an issue ever since like the 3gs. welp guess I better upgrade my ios on my old iphone! -you, right now

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

YOUR iphone is laggy, but all others work fine. idk what form of mental retardation leads you to conclude this indicates a problem affecting ALL iPhones.

have you tried restoring your iPhone yet?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

you could probably solve this in 20 minutes by restoring

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
my 5c is still fine and it's the same hardware more or less

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my 5s has received countless ios updates and it runs as fast as the day it came out. if not faster.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

it's "fine" because you have gotten used to your inputs lagging for an 8th of a second constantly. that doesn't mean it's as good as it was under ios7

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

THC posted:

my 5s has received countless ios updates and it runs as fast as the day it came out. if not faster.

no it doesn't idiot

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

actually yes, it does.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

poo poo I didn't realize I was replying to blue stymie, whose gimmick is to just insist other people are lying about incontrovertible facts. sorry folks

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
it's a well known fact that installing new software does not run as fast on outdated hardware as outdated software does. youre an idiot for refusing to understand this and blue stymies an idiot for understanding it but updating anyway.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

it's a well known fact that installing new software does not run as fast on outdated hardware as outdated software does. youre an idiot for refusing to understand this and blue stymies an idiot for understanding it but updating anyway.

cool. you need to update your phone if you want to sync with an el capitan computer. great "choice"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Amethyst posted:

cool. you need to update your phone if you want to sync with an el capitan computer. great "choice"

oh cool you updated your 2 year out of date macbook too. cant wait to hear about how apple broke that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

actually it's not uncommon for new software to run faster on the same hardware as developers implement optimizations that improve performance. iOS 8 and 9 are great examples of this. can't believe I'm having to explain this basic fact of computing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

perhaps if I put it in terms of video games you will understand: the latest version of GTA 5 performs much better on the same computer than the originally released version.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THC posted:

actually it's not uncommon for new software to run faster on the same hardware as developers implement optimizations that improve performance. iOS 8 and 9 are great examples of this. can't believe I'm having to explain this basic fact of computing.

Actuay it's extremely rare due to the lazy mindset employed by most commercial programmers, especially mobile ones

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

THC posted:

perhaps if I put it in terms of video games you will understand: the latest version of GTA 5 performs much better on the same computer than the originally released version.

yea remember the time they released gta5 for the n64 and it ran better than the ps4 version???? that's a thing that happened

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

THC posted:

lol what planet do you live on

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

also the notion that you can stay on ios7 and it's fine and it's the consumers fault is stupid because apple don't push security updates for ios7.

the fact that mobile hardware becomes obsolete within 3 years is the norm is just lovely

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
wah wah wahh

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

gently caress off idiot. this is a huge problem

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

also the notion that you can stay on ios7 and it's fine and it's the consumers fault is stupid because apple don't push security updates for ios7.

the fact that mobile hardware becomes obsolete within 3 years is the norm is just lovely

welcome to modernization of technology.

everything is obsolete after a while

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

theultimo posted:

welcome to modernization of technology.

everything is obsolete after a while

i think its the comoditization of technology tho

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

there should be laws that companies need to keep released devices secure for at least 10 years

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Amethyst posted:

there should be laws that companies need to keep released devices secure for at least 10 years

10 years ago the iPhone didn't exist

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Smythe posted:

i think its the comoditization of technology tho

yes but it also comes with big improvements in portability (size and weight). a modular design is never gonna be as space efficient as a custom design. its smaller and cheaper but you have to do a major upgrade every 2-3 years instead of 5-6 years with minor upgrades in between.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

theultimo posted:

10 years ago the iPhone didn't exist

i don't see the relevence of that

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

kwinkles posted:

yes but it also comes with big improvements in portability (size and weight). a modular design is never gonna be as space efficient as a custom design. its smaller and cheaper but you have to do a major upgrade every 2-3 years instead of 5-6 years with minor upgrades in between.

this poo poo is all now slowing down

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

A Pinball Wizard posted:

oh cool you updated your 2 year out of date macbook too. cant wait to hear about how apple broke that.

Fuckin lmao

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
waaaahhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Amethyst posted:

cool I can't wait tell even ios mirrors android and ie
"hey you can't use that api that does x easier and more efficiently cause 20% of our user base is still on ios 7 guess you'll just have to write some legacy hack"

• Locked thread