Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

vim is ok but it's kinda buggy and apparently the code is a horror show

can't be worse than the original vi, which was a bunch of screen editor hacks atop ex (a la teco and emacs), which was a bunch of local hacks atop ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wheany posted:

Has anyone made a linux text editor that works normally, ie ctrl-s is save, ctrl-c is copy, ctrl-v is paste, ctrl-z is undo and so on?

pico and nano have kind of tried to be that, except pico uses a bunch of DEC TOPS-20 conventions instead of modern (Macintosh) conventions and nano is a version of pico infected with GNU like huitlacoche

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 9, 2016

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eschaton posted:

pico and nano have kind of tried to be that, except pico uses a bunch of DEC TOPS-20 conventions instead of modern (Macintosh) conventions and nano is a version of pico infected with GNU like huitlacoche

ctrl-o ctrl-x ugh

jpico is some sort of even more hosed up pico and if some idiot has set it to the default the key commands change when something like git calls it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ed is useful in shell scripts

there are approximately 0 situations where it is appropriate to edit a file using a shell script ityool 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

eschaton posted:

yes, i'm aware of nano, and it's the closest linux has to a usable text editor, but it uses nonstandard keys, even going as far as acknowledging that the user pressed ctrl-s and instead of saving the file, it complains to the user: "XOFF ignored, mumble mumble"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wheany posted:

yes, i'm aware of nano, and it's the closest linux has to a usable text editor, but it uses nonstandard keys, even going as far as acknowledging that the user pressed ctrl-s and instead of saving the file, it complains to the user: "XOFF ignored, mumble mumble"

nano is probably the best shell text editor but that poo poo is ridiculously annoying

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
if you want to use a text editor in a terminal, just man up and learn to use vi or emacs imo. you're already using a 1970s user interface anyway, may as well go the whole hog

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

if you want to use a text editor in a terminal, just man up and learn to use vi or emacs imo. you're already using a 1970s user interface anyway, may as well go the whole hog

it's really 1980s terminal tech at least and tyool 198x had quite usable text mode editors on micro soft disk operating system despite said pos having a considerably more primitive terminal layer. some of them even had mouse based text selection. there isnt any reason why we can't have nice things like that running in a modern unix terminal imo

(i mean we all know the reason why we cant, see the thread title, just saying theres no technical barrier, and never was)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

for some reason I thought vim was originally an editor for the amiga? maybe vim as opposed to vi premiered on the amiga, dunno

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

celeron 300a posted:

the other guy to thank is whoever wrote bogofilter, it stopped all my users from complaining about spam. What a godsend.

a subtle troll or an actual esr shoutout? you decide!

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

bill joy wrote vi so he could convince scott mcnealy to write sun tools.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One time, back in 2001, I went to a professor's office hours for help with a weird corner case bug. He said to bring up my code, so I opened it in pico. He then made fun of me for using an "abomination of a text editor" or something and couldn't navigate around because he kept using vi shortcuts.

I still insist the bug was his fault.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Origin posted:

bill joy wrote vi so he could convince scott mcnealy to write sun tools.

nice

CPColin posted:

One time, back in 2001, I went to a professor's office hours for help with a weird corner case bug. He said to bring up my code, so I opened it in pico. He then made fun of me for using an "abomination of a text editor" or something and couldn't navigate around because he kept using vi shortcuts.

I still insist the bug was his fault.

he was right yr a fuckin scrub

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that professors name? ken thompson

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
nah I bet my rear end it was a no name greybeard who thinks too highly of himself

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wheany posted:

Has anyone made a linux text editor that works normally, ie ctrl-s is save, ctrl-c is copy, ctrl-v is paste, ctrl-z is undo and so on?

I think gedit works like this?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Symbolic Butt posted:

nah I bet my rear end it was a no name greybeard who thinks too highly of himself

He was one of the founders of Experts Exchange, if that helps.

By the way, back in 2001, I was using the version of EDIT.COM that came with Windows 2000 to do my programming. Good times.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Wheany posted:

... that works in the terminal, i mean

why do people want editors in terminals, i dont get it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
on the rare occasion you have to access a Linux it would be nice if that Linux had a working text editor. it will probably never happen, tho

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

BobHoward posted:

it's really 1980s terminal tech at least and tyool 198x had quite usable text mode editors on micro soft disk operating system despite said pos having a considerably more primitive terminal layer. some of them even had mouse based text selection. there isnt any reason why we can't have nice things like that running in a modern unix terminal imo

(i mean we all know the reason why we cant, see the thread title, just saying theres no technical barrier, and never was)

emacs has mouse based text selection in text mode, just saying

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Shaggar posted:

on the rare occasion you have to access a Linux it would be nice if that Linux had a working text editor. it will probably never happen, tho

another great thing about emacs is that it also works very well on microsoft windows, so you can use the same text editor on every platform, all for the low low price of learning a few slightly different keyboard shortcuts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
emacs is equally bad on all platforms.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Soricidus posted:

there are approximately 0 situations where it is appropriate to edit a file using a shell script ityool 2016

sed owns fucker

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

sed owns fucker

Fucker is a free man. Slavery is illegal.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

emacs has mouse based text selection in text mode, just saying

also in cocoa mode

Shaggar posted:

emacs is equally bad on all platforms.

yeah, i agree that emacs is the best editor on all platforms

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

Fucker is a free man. Slavery is illegal.

i chuckled

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

knowing and using vim and emacs is p easy. literally takes like 2 hours to get past the weirdness of learnign one of them. than just write down the weirder stuff and sticky note it on your monitor

it just feels dirty and cumbersome using nano

b0red fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 9, 2016

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
vim owns

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

crazypenguin posted:

why do people want editors in terminals, i dont get it

some times you just have to use a terminal

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
vi(m) is a must learn if you want to work on remote/minimal servers. It also owns really hard. Learning curve is the same as practically anything else on linux

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Roargasm posted:

vi(m) is a must learn if you want to work on remote/minimal servers.
yep

quote:

It also owns really hard.

Its utter loving piss garbage and if you think differently you're stockholmed as gently caress

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jre posted:

yep

Its utter loving piss garbage and if you think differently you're stockholmed as gently caress

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Wheany posted:

some times you just have to use a terminal

i am actually sorta serious with that question.

the only time i can think of when i use an editor in a terminal is when i'm writing a git commit message that's too long to -m. i'm pretty sure it opens nano by default. it works fine for that. I can't be arsed to try to use something different because there's issues with notifying git when I'm done editing. like, it waits on a pid and that doesn't always work with gui editors or something.

is it just that you're trying to edit files that are on a remote machine, and you don't have any good options for being able to slurp those files across ssh in order to use a good editor?

...i wonder if i can fix that

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

crazypenguin posted:

i am actually sorta serious with that question.

the only time i can think of when i use an editor in a terminal is when i'm writing a git commit message that's too long to -m. i'm pretty sure it opens nano by default. it works fine for that. I can't be arsed to try to use something different because there's issues with notifying git when I'm done editing. like, it waits on a pid and that doesn't always work with gui editors or something.

is it just that you're trying to edit files that are on a remote machine, and you don't have any good options for being able to slurp those files across ssh in order to use a good editor?

...i wonder if i can fix that

Setting up machines with unconfigured / hosed up networking via a virtual console is not that uncommon a use case.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you're editing files on a remote server you're very probably loving up.

I spun up a fairly hefty box on EC2 so that I could make OpenEmbedded builds in reasonable time and I do most of my mucking around with recipes on there (and I commit to Git from there sometimes too).

I might possibly be loving up.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

crazypenguin posted:

good editors, such as emacs, do the slurping across ssh for you

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

the best part about vim/emacs is identification of people who like to waste time. sure if you're sshing into a remote and need to edit something really quick vim is fine. but there's always that person who has a bespoke special snowflake vimrc that they've tirelessly handcrafted in their "free" time. i guess what i'm saying is, vim/emacs are honeypots.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

moonshine is...... posted:

the best part about vim/emacs is identification of people who like to waste time. sure if you're sshing into a remote and need to edit something really quick vim is fine. but there's always that person who has a bespoke special snowflake vimrc that they've tirelessly handcrafted in their "free" time. i guess what i'm saying is, vim/emacs are honeypots.

it's really not that bad. i'm pretty sure i've made fewer customizations to my emacs setup than to, say, my eclipse setup; it's just easier to see because it's all in one place in a form intended for human editing

i guess there's some stuff like custom modes for some obscure/proprietary file formats that took a fair bit of work to set up, but that's the kind of thing that's literally impossible to do in most editors beyond trivial context-free syntax highlighting, so ... oh ok i'm a huge nerd i admit it are you happy now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
just set up a smb share on the Linux you need to edit and open the file using Microsoft word 2016