Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'll second that. i never realized how much work Smasher Dynamo put into their LPs until crow and I tried to take overtheir Super-League Total Extreme Wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

ZeusCannon posted:

Any good LP's of Viewtiful Joe? I feel like I have seen one offs or streams but never a full lp playthrough.

Also as a offering I rediscovered Chorpsaway's LP of Drake and the 99 Dragons recently and cannot recommend it enough to anyone who is a fan of terribly made games being LP'd well.

Seconding this suggestion! Also agreed that one should watch both the cut and the uncut version.

Any more fun playthroughs of bad games I'm missing at the moment?
Really terrible ones, bordering on unplayable. I generally like those LP's, especially when the player(s) do a good job of showing off the flaws and finding humor in the game's terribleness. I like both the LP's that examine what went wrong and tell the story of the developers (like Research Indicates' Trespasser or supergreatfriends' Illbleed) and the ones were a team of LP-ers are just making fun of everything that goes wrong (Men drinking coffee, Slowbeefs run of Dead to Rights etc.)

I'm currently following bxfenns suffering through Vampire Rain ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735411 ), CJacobs getting his rear end handed to him by Bubsy in the casual LP thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750711 ), and Leavemywife bumbling through Gobliiins blind with Nidoking as his seeing eye dog ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762498 ).
Some may argue that Gobliiins is a classic or that it just suffers from a little adventure game logic, but it's really nonsensical and unintuitive and the only reason you have fond memories of it is because you were a kid without critical sense (like myself) who would play lovely games just because they technically were games.

I know there is a DAIKATANA playthrough going on at the moment, but I think Proteus did an excellent job with that game a few years ago, and don't know if this one adds more to the table. Anything else I'm missing out on?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
So I shotgunned all of mzbundifund and bacter's stuff over the past couple of weeks and I'm looking for more co-op vlps with someone who knows probably too much about a game and the bumbling relative newcomer. I've already watched and enjoyed Geops Dark Souls and faeriefortune's Ocarina Let's Plays. Any other recs?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Powerfrog posted:

This got me wondering what LPs had the largest amount of individual effort put into them over the years? (key word: individual) Game doesn't necessarily have to be bad.
I still think Kamoc's Choose-Your-Own-Adventure LP of Silent Hill Homecoming is ridiculously impressive in pretty much every way.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Is there a pretty comprehensive Bloodborne LP out there? I know there are a lot of blind LPs, but I'm looking for something more like how Squint handled Demon's Souls: showed off nearly everything, did a pretty good job analyzing what little story was there, and didn't leave in a bunch of deaths leading to a lot of boring retreads of zones.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Shoren posted:

Is there a pretty comprehensive Bloodborne LP out there? I know there are a lot of blind LPs, but I'm looking for something more like how Squint handled Demon's Souls: showed off nearly everything, did a pretty good job analyzing what little story was there, and didn't leave in a bunch of deaths leading to a lot of boring retreads of zones.
This one is pretty good: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736613

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Actually in the same vein is there anyone on Youtube that has done all the From Software recent titles (Demons/Dark 1&2/Bloodborne) and does them informative instead of blind? I really want to sit down and watch through all the games but I'm having trouble sorting through the multitudes of blind runs.

Edit: Never mind found a guy. His channel is 'LPDarkSoulsHD' and he does expert-level runs of all the From Software games.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2016

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

I still think Kamoc's Choose-Your-Own-Adventure LP of Silent Hill Homecoming is ridiculously impressive in pretty much every way.

Second this. First time I came to a choice in the video I was like WHAAaaaaa?

Also I am always a little sad that FromSoftware are the DarkSouls people now because it means we will never get another Otogi.... are there any Otogi LPs?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Grey Hunter's one day in game=one day in real life War in the Pacific LP ranks up there. Started on December 7 and carried on for about 3.5 years with almost never missing a post. Even when he was gone getting married he had enough backlog built up to have someone else post them in thread.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ran concurrently with his war in the east lp too

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Are there any good no alarm/no damage playthroughs of the original Splinter Cell (and perhaps its sequels if done by the same person)? The LP I found on here doesn't do 100% stealth like I want.

I'd prefer if there wasn't any commentary, but I'd accept it if the speaker is good enough.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

slowbeef posted:

Thanks for reminding me, I do have the second half but I never published it. Will do so today.

Did this ever get put up? I didn't see it on your channel.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

insanityv2 posted:

So I shotgunned all of mzbundifund and bacter's stuff over the past couple of weeks and I'm looking for more co-op vlps with someone who knows probably too much about a game and the bumbling relative newcomer. I've already watched and enjoyed Geops Dark Souls and faeriefortune's Ocarina Let's Plays. Any other recs?

You've... probably watched Chip and Ironicus, right? Though that's more "guy who probably knows too much about the game, and guy who is laughing half in disbelief at how insane things are" vibe, but it's close!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

insanityv2 posted:

Faeriefortune is also playing through all the Pikmin games blind with gnome7 as her guide. She is currently taking a break because of a hand injury but the first game and a good chunk of the second is already done.

Here's the thread.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Anybody know where Nigurrath's Day of Crisis LP went? It seems to have disappeared off Youtube and the LP archive if it was ever there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Many LPs go into why the LPer likes/hates/is interested in X game, but what LPs really delve into what makes a game good/bad/interesting?

As an example, two of my favorite LPs like this are Quovak's Golden Sun and Chrono Trigger LP's. In the former, he delves into all the many reasons the game and story are flawed, even offering suggestions on how to improve it, while the latter has him focusing on everything he feels the game does right. I guess I'm looking for in-depth discussion on the merits of game design and why certain games stand out the way they do, a bit more depth than "Holy poo poo look at how bad this game is" (though definitely not knocking those since those kinds of LPs are usually hilarious and entertaining as hell) and more "Here is why that game is bad" (or good or whatever).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

nine-gear crow's White Knight Chronicles was a really great analysis of a game that could've been really cool if the production team had been competent. We spent a lot of time in the thread discussing how it could be better, but I don't know how much of that is visible in the Archive.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Many LPs go into why the LPer likes/hates/is interested in X game, but what LPs really delve into what makes a game good/bad/interesting?

I'd recommended NieR by Chaos Shadow. This is a 100% completion LP and the let's player went the extra mile by writing long in-depth analysis about the plot, characters and various design philosophy shenanignan. If you're already familiar with the game then skip the videos from the LP and read her metaposts analysis where she covers topics such as the importance of NieR's sidequests for world building and character development and why yoko taro and his team executed it so well, etc.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

mkob posted:

I'd recommended NieR by Chaos Shadow. This is a 100% completion LP and the let's player went the extra mile by writing long in-depth analysis about the plot, characters and various design philosophy shenanignan. If you're already familiar with the game then skip the videos from the LP and read her metaposts analysis where she covers topics such as the importance of NieR's sidequests for world building and character development and why yoko taro and his team executed it so well, etc.

Woah this is gold. Definitely second this recommendation, I was looking for a good informative LP of Nier lately and this hits the mark almost too well. Interesting to see it from the perspective of the time when it seemed like everything Drakengard/NieR was dead and buried, too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

nine-gear crow's White Knight Chronicles was a really great analysis of a game that could've been really cool if the production team had been competent. We spent a lot of time in the thread discussing how it could be better, but I don't know how much of that is visible in the Archive.

The thread itself hasn't fallen into the archives yet, so that's probably the best way to view it if you want to see the full debate and communal deconstruction of the games.

The LP Archive version is just a more streamlined and polished version of the thread updates. So take your pick, really.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Jack Van Burace posted:

Anybody know where Nigurrath's Day of Crisis LP went? It seems to have disappeared off Youtube and the LP archive if it was ever there.

He deleted it for some reason-- don't think he ever said why. Shame, it was real good. Don't think anybody ever uploaded another copy of it, either.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mega64 posted:

As an example, two of my favorite LPs like this are Quovak's Golden Sun and Chrono Trigger LP's. In the former, he delves into all the many reasons the game and story are flawed, even offering suggestions on how to improve it, while the latter has him focusing on everything he feels the game does right. I guess I'm looking for in-depth discussion on the merits of game design and why certain games stand out the way they do, a bit more depth than "Holy poo poo look at how bad this game is" (though definitely not knocking those since those kinds of LPs are usually hilarious and entertaining as hell) and more "Here is why that game is bad" (or good or whatever).

I was always a big fan of Simply Simon's long line of Mega Man LPs for this kind of thing. He went through both the NES and Gameboy games and did a great job of highlighting what makes them work while also mercilessly picking apart the stuff that drags them down. They were also always refreshing just thanks to being Megaman LPs that embraced all the different weapons as much as possible instead of being tedious buster-only challenge runs.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone done an LP of all 3 Dino Crisis games?

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I don't know of their quality or if there are any missions videos, but Brass Monkey did a VLP of all three games. You'll need archive access for the threads since they're not on LPARchive, so I'll provide links to his channels just in case. Just a warning that English isn't his first language.

Dino Crisis 1 Thread
Dino Crisis 2 Thread
Dino Crisis 3 Thread
DC1 and 2 on Dalymotion
DC3 on Vimeo

If that doesn't work out, maybe someone else can suggest something.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oops, wrong thread

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 29, 2016

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Anyone got an entertaining blind LP or stream of Saints Row 3 or 4?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can anyone recommend a Fire Emblem Fates playthrough on youtube? My laptop does not care for twitch and I can never find everyone's videos on Hitbox so I've basically given up on that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Considering that Fates is three games in and of itself, the fact that it's been out for all of a week, and it's a 3DS game to boot, I would be amazed if there were any worth watching yet.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

Considering that Fates is three games in and of itself, the fact that it's been out for all of a week, and it's a 3DS game to boot, I would be amazed if there were any worth watching yet.

Don't forget that it's not released worldwide, too.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Finally got around to starting through this LP. It's really good so far, thanks for the suggestion!

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I'm looking for an old Mario LP hosted on Google videos, the LPer was either super drunk or high and it's hilarious. Anyone know where I can find it?

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Bit of a weird one, but I've been very pleasantly surprised watching this poker pro "let's playing" an online poker series.

He's very laid back and comedic, but he's also informative and talks about his decision making and his reads on people. You don't need to know anything about poker other than the very basics to understand what's going on, anything more complicated is explained thoroughly or becomes self evident as you watch. (He does use some common poker terms but you'll probably be able to guess their meaning based on context or at least assess the situation he's talking about)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ha7SJbn5D0

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

8 Ball posted:

I'm looking for an old Mario LP hosted on Google videos, the LPer was either super drunk or high and it's hilarious. Anyone know where I can find it?

It might help if you defined "Mario".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
dongs.exe perhaps?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Old Mario stuff that used to be on google video could be Kaizo Mario / Kaizo 2, sadly the links in Kaizo 2 are dead. I dunno if anyone did Kaizo drunk though. Then there was a lot of weird Mario with various secrets and juices, but Chocolate Secret isn't old enough to have been on google video.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Was it Super Mario 2? I remember something about the dude being terrible at it and at one point being startled by what he thinks is a spider (not in the game, on his desk or something)

Edit: sorry, should've said it was on the archive.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 11, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rappaport posted:

Then there was a lot of weird Mario with various secrets and juices, but Chocolate Secret isn't old enough to have been on google video.

Chocolate Secret's still worth watching though if you haven't already.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

davidspackage posted:

Was it Super Mario 2? I remember something about the dude being terrible at it and at one point being startled by what he thinks is a spider (not in the game, on his desk or something)

Yes! Found it, thanks :)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Did Didja Redo do anything after Avalon Code? I enjoyed all of his fiction-LPs. Also, are there any other good similar fanfic-like narrative LPs worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nighthand posted:

Did Didja Redo do anything after Avalon Code? I enjoyed all of his fiction-LPs. Also, are there any other good similar fanfic-like narrative LPs worth reading?
He started Vampire: Bloodlines, then vanished off the face of the SA. Anyhow, not technically fanfic, but more people should read about having 001 goblins.